PDA

View Full Version : Time To Close The Doors

Nightwolf
05-08-2003, 09:26 PM
I hate to say it, but I think it's time to make this board completely 'Members Only'. Either that or limit the number of guests that can sign-on at the same time. I'm getting tired of typing a message, then not being able to post it because the server is overloaded. :(

Curley
05-08-2003, 09:37 PM
I have to agree with you..... if thats the reason behind the error messages.

pyromonkey
05-08-2003, 09:41 PM
i'm getting tired of not being able to access the board!

zolaisugly
05-08-2003, 09:57 PM
while it may be annoying to get this error msg i would like to say that i to agree with you on this point.

however i feel that this may hinder the progress of this board to grow as new people may not wish to join so as to get any help needed.

it may be while getting there questions answerd in such a way that may indeed attract newer ones to join and help this forum grow and continue to grow,and support a very helpful board.

i for one would not have joined if i were forced to sign up 1st then get any help.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
05-08-2003, 10:39 PM
;) I have said it before and will say it again.

We would have no problems with the forum.Hell Paul would not even need them damn Pop-Ups on his site if we would alowe some advertising.

I do not see nothing wrong with advertising for programs that we all use anyway.But since alot of people on here beleive everything in life should be free we will never go that way.Maybe one day some of us will change.....but I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Jibbler
05-08-2003, 11:31 PM
Is bandwidth the issue? The board was down the other day because of the new bookworld.

Nightwolf
05-08-2003, 11:32 PM
I have to agree with FC. Bandwidth costs money, and since most of the people here (myself included) aren't likely to donate anytime soon, I guess ads are the only way to go. Just so long as they use 'on the page' banner ads, not pop-ups. I hate pop-ups! There's nothing more annoying than loading a web page and trying to click on something or type in a text box just as a new window pops up and interrupts you. :angry:

Skillian
05-08-2003, 11:40 PM
If bandwidth/money is the issue, then go ahead with the banner ads. I wouldn't mind in the slightest. Cutting guests out of the forum seems a little harsh.

J'Pol
05-08-2003, 11:47 PM
It's fine. Leave it as it is.

Let's not be h4r5h to new chaps. We were all new at one time. We want the board to grow with the right sort.

Unless of course they are obviously posting to rabble rouse or draw flame. Then hit them with the full force of the law and send for

http://image.uploader.net/uploaded/CE05J497.gif

and she can spam the living daylights out of them.

MagicNakor
05-08-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@9 May 2003 - 00:31
Is bandwidth the issue? The board was down the other day because of the new bookworld.
I truely hope you're being facetious.

:ninja:

J'Pol
05-08-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor+9 May 2003 - 00:55--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MagicNakor @ 9 May 2003 - 00:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jibbler@9 May 2003 - 00:31
Is bandwidth the issue?&nbsp; The board was down the other day because of the new bookworld.
I truely hope you&#39;re being facetious.

:ninja: [/b][/quote]
Chill my young friend.

Obvious pop, but a mate - to - mate one.

jetje
05-09-2003, 12:06 AM
Agree it is because of bookworld.....

Books are just to heavy.

games/movies and music came all on cd/dvd, that&#39;s light but the paperbacks or hard tops are way to heave for the server. It hardly can handle the traffic.... ;)

The Great Dude
05-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by jetje@8 May 2003 - 16:06
Agree it is because of bookworld.....

Books are just to heavy.

games/movies and music came all on cd/dvd, that&#39;s light but the paperbacks or hard tops are way to heave for the server. It hardly can handle the traffic.... ;)
Does that mean you don&#39;t like books because they&#39;re heavy? :lol: :devil:

dawgas
05-09-2003, 12:10 AM
i have a good idea - delete all the members and make everyone re register&#33; should get rid of most of the backlog.

limit on creating topics?
banner ads (pop ups teh suck, make a option that "Do you wish to have pop ups?" or something)
limit amount of people who can register a DAY (like 100)
if you spam, you get banned
get rid of the lounge (so less spam and posts - less bandwith)
delete all the spam posts
restart K-lite board

Schmiggy_JK23
05-09-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler@8 May 2003 - 18:31
ROFLMAO&#33;

Jibby, your sarcasm rivals even mine&#33;

But in all seriousness... i assumed the same thing... i mean, look at all that content there in bookworld... must just shut this place down... ;)

But ya... something needs to be done... either give more bandwith, something... I for one would be more then willing to deal with a few adds, just to not have to deal with the board dropping out like it has been. But, i use norton internet security/ad blocker, so odds are, i wouldnt see them any how... ;)

cap the membership... hrmmz... seems like a good concept, but, what happens when some of the regs, or other peeps who contribute go away, and dont post... thats less content... maybe some sort of qualifer... say u register... but cant view to verifieds for say, a month, and/or 100 posts, or something like that.... make people earn it? seeings how we have so many who come and go, and dont help what so ever... for a p2p community, its more like a p2pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp... if u catch my drift... but making them earn the verifieds, maybe they would be more apt to contribute.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
05-09-2003, 12:12 AM
;) Yeah.....I guess since most people here use NERO it would really hurt for us to advertise their product. :rolleyes:

Schmiggy_JK23
05-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by dawgas@8 May 2003 - 19:10

if you spam, you get banned
get rid of the lounge (so less spam and posts - less bandwith)
delete all the spam posts

Agreed to an extent... the fact the mods actually promote the biggest spam post in the world, is total crap... like we really need that bandwith hog... there is some constructive things in the lounge... but thats definately not one of them...

Police the lounge a bit more... certain threads like that, have no use... get rid of old threads in the lounge, that contain nothing of importance... people want to chat, get irc, thats what its for....

jetje
05-09-2003, 12:20 AM
Schmiggy..... since we have that post there..... did you notice any spam elsewhere....?????
Maybe everything has a function of it own. ;)

No one told you that you need to read it... B)

Jon
05-09-2003, 12:20 AM
The problem is not with money...The problem is not with bandwidth...

The forum is growing and its having some hiccups right now...I am working to fix the problems...Best thing to do right now is just deal until we are able to resolve the issues...

I host this forum...Money is no problem...As the forum grows...Some issues will come up...

Jon

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
05-09-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Jon@8 May 2003 - 19:20

The forum is growing and its having some hiccups right now...I am working to fix the problems...Best thing to do right now is just deal until we are able to resolve the issues...

I host this forum...Money is no problem...As the forum grows...Some issues will come up...

Jon
:D The man just said go get more beer. :D

MagicNakor
05-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by JPaul@9 May 2003 - 00:58
Chill my young friend.

Obvious pop, but a mate - to - mate one.
Well, at least someone still thinks I&#39;m young. ;) I&#39;m given honourifics at restaurants now.

Today is a take-everything-literally day. No sleep in 24 hours tends to do that to me. <_<

Schmiggy_JK23
05-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by jetje@8 May 2003 - 19:20
Schmiggy..... since we have that post there..... did you notice any spam elsewhere....?????
Maybe everything has a function of it own. ;)

No one told you that you need to read it... B)
*laugh*

thats so funny... thats like saying... well if we let people run around and shoot people in this state of the USA... they wont go around and do it anywhere else, and they will all move to "this" state, to do it...

doesnt make much sense does it? allowing it anywhere, promotes it period... simple logic...

and i dont read it.. i complained some, a couple posts, and that was it... it still does not have constructive use...

and have i seen spam... hell yes... look around, its everywhere... i wouldnt say its less of a problem at all, maybe more mods deleting it, etc... but it will always be an issue... and promoting it anywhere wont help it.

Jibbler
05-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Don&#39;t worry Magicman, that shot wasn&#39;t to offend. I&#39;ve been posting in that virtual library that you call bookworld. Every board has hiccups, so we&#39;ll just have to wait and see. Summer is closing in on us, expect lots of spammers to take over these forums.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-09-2003, 12:30 AM

Jon
thanks for the info john... and thanks for all the support, we definately appreciate it... i think alot of us would put up with ads, if we had to.

MagicNakor
05-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler@9 May 2003 - 01:29
Don&#39;t worry Magicman, that shot wasn&#39;t to offend. I&#39;ve been posting in that virtual library that you call bookworld. Every board has hiccups, so we&#39;ll just have to wait and see. Summer is closing in on us, expect lots of spammers to take over these forums.
:D I realize that now. I didn&#39;t really think you were trying to offend, but as I said before, my mind&#39;s not all here. ;) I should probably start hanging out here a little more, the other forum I go to is far too touchy, and I fear it&#39;s rubbing off.

Jibbler
05-09-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@8 May 2003 - 21:07
my mind&#39;s not all here. ;)
I&#39;m usually stoned when I access these forums. Filesharing is like having Christmas everyday. :santa:

phalkon30
05-09-2003, 04:20 AM
It seems the topic is sorta over with discussion, but I&#39;d like to add my 2 cents

I don&#39;t mind banners at all, even if I didn&#39;t have a popup blocker like the proxomitron, they don&#39;t anoy me at all, I&#39;d even let them into k-lite as long as they didn&#39;t have a nasty phone home thing

echidna
05-09-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Jon@9 May 2003 - 10:20

Jon
sik :D sik :D sik i concur with Mr F Capricorn :: rejoyce and drink up
i&#39;m totally glad&#33; this is the crusiest board i&#39;ve found on the net [do you cats smoke alota weed?]
i agree that the guest access promote membership - and fixes problems ie. there isn&#39;t an operable way to email any support if you can&#39;t activate your account&#33; so the guestroom is an asset i think
the outages have been concerning but if the man says it aint broke :D
cheers

MagicNakor
05-09-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler+9 May 2003 - 02:39--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 9 May 2003 - 02:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MagicNakor@8 May 2003 - 21:07
I&#39;m usually stoned when I access these forums. Filesharing is like having Christmas everyday. :santa: [/b][/quote]
:lol: But I guess some Christmases are better than others.

TRshady
05-09-2003, 07:07 AM
Jon, I really appreciate your efforts in kepping this board up :)

But, I agree. The situation is getting really bad, and I&#39;ve given up logging in afternoon as IF I can get in then it&#39;s so very slow and most of the time pages end up with an error, its a waste of time :(

junkyardking
05-09-2003, 07:34 AM
As jon said it&#39;s" having some hiccups right now," which sort makes the limiting of members a moot point.

But I dont belive a post qouta for accessing verefieds is a good idea for two main reasons.

Limiting them to users with x amount of posts limits the file spreading, it also limits new users who might have files to share from posting.

It encourages spamming, user x cant access verefieds so spams to get up to the level required, as if we dont have enough spam already.

Nightwolf
05-09-2003, 08:07 AM

Jon
Thank You, Jon. I meant no disrespect to you or anyone else here. It just gets a little frustrating sometimes.

N£MO
05-09-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler+9 May 2003 - 02:39--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 9 May 2003 - 02:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MagicNakor@8 May 2003 - 21:07
I&#39;m usually stoned when I access these forums. Filesharing is like having Christmas everyday. :santa: [/b][/quote]
That makes at least two of us ;)

RPerry
05-09-2003, 08:44 AM
I also agree its frustrating whats been happening with the forum, but lets not forget the favor Jon didfor us when it was needed. Give him the time he needs to fix the problems, he did say he was working on it ;)

Ad
05-09-2003, 10:14 AM
yes there has been heaps of problems with the forum latley and its getting worse&#33;&#33; but Jon is doing his best at the moment to fix all the problems and we should all have faith that he will.

I dont know what the problem is maybe there is too many accounts latley and its geting overloaded

As for banners they are a waste of bandwich

The Knife Thrower
05-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by dawgas@9 May 2003 - 00:10
banner ads (pop ups teh suck, make a option that "Do you wish to have pop ups?" or something)
You&#39;re not fucking serious, are you? Popups suck ass. Banner ads are acceptable.

Ad
05-11-2003, 02:26 PM
:angry: Im forever telling pop ups to piss off

Curley
05-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Simple solution... get a pop up stopper.

RedRival
05-11-2003, 02:53 PM
I haven&#39;t recieved any error messages when trying to post messages, although there&#39;s a few occasions when the entire klite MySQL database just screws up and we get the error page. But other than that, I found no problems in posting/replying messages. :lol: