PDA

View Full Version : Connectable?

madman1611
10-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Is there anyway of finding out if I'm connectable or not? A test or something? I checked on my private sites but it usually says waiting or -- .

waterloo
10-06-2006, 10:59 PM
The trackers will only show ur status when ur downloading something. Alternatively if u use utorrent, go to Options>Speed Guide....and check if ur port is forwarded...

Time Lord
10-06-2006, 11:09 PM
The trackers will only show ur status when ur downloading something. Alternatively if u use utorrent, go to Options>Speed Guide....and check if ur port is forwarded...

It will show your staus/connectable when your downloading and seeding, not just downloading.

Of late i am having a constant connectable problem, some torrents show connectable some not, port forward=yes, i find stoping and re-starting the torrent gets it connectable.

waterloo
10-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Being connectable has nothing to do with seeding. So long as the torrent is active, the tracker should report ur status. U might need to update tracker manually.

Dedalus^
10-06-2006, 11:46 PM
For a private site, as long as you have a .torrent downloaded (from the site) and opened in your client, the tracker should be able to check.

An easy way to check manually is to download any popular torrent (any new public torrent will do)... with Azureus. If you get a green happy face beside ur torrent, then you're connectable :P.
Not sure about utorrent tho, I know it checks your network, but not sure if it checks whether you are connectable.

Anyway, if your ports are in the correct range and correctly forwarded, then you should have no problem.

madman1611
10-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah. The thing is, I've tested my ports and they seem to be open but I still get like 0-4 kb/s on really popular torrents with seeder to leecher ratios of 1:2. I'm starting to give up. I get fine speeds on some trackers and crap on others. I'm behind a zonealarm firewall and an av program.

waterloo
10-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Try disabling zonealarm and enabling encryption in ur client if it supports it (if it doesn't get one that does...like utorrent) and use a port between 49152 & 65535

sear
10-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Could be that zone alarm is your problem I know that alot of people like it but i've heard it can cause problems with bittorent. using a different firewall might help i would suggest outpost or sygate. Also do you have encryption enabled cuz if your service provider limits torrent traffic that could help with your speed problem. Using a higher port number is also recomended (i use 64860 atm but any will do) as some trackers prefer you use a random port that can't be as easily identified as belonging to bittorent. other than that if your connectable and it's all set up properly you shouldn't have a problem.

EDIT:
Sorry waterloo didn't mean to cut your grass just didn't see your post :)

madman1611
10-07-2006, 02:10 AM
Hey. Yeah, I already have protocol encryption enabled, and use a port in the 50000s. Maybe I should try another firewall. Thanks for the replies. More advice is welcomed :D

madman1611
10-07-2006, 02:24 AM
I did some tests again and my port seems to be forwarded fine, i am connectable under sites, have dht and peer exchange turned off, still am running za though. I'll try and turning that off too. Could PG2 be a problem?