PDA

View Full Version : extra harddisk in windows xp

david02
10-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi

I have an extra local harddisk icon in ''my computer''

but I know for sure that I only have two drives in my computer. none of them are partitioned. In Disk managment the drive is not visible.

if I doubleclick on the drive it says ''drive not accessible, parameter is incorrect''

so I got a c: and e: local harddisk drive
a d: dvd rewriter drive and two f: and h: virtual cd/dvd drives
where does the g: local drive com from? And how to remove it?

I have an extra harddrive and when I put it on the last IDE plug It showls an I: local drive

It happened when I installed XP long time ago , I installed XP before and the drive did not appear

if you want more info just ask

system specs:

aopen ak33 motherboard
AMD athlon 850 MHZ

manofstyle
10-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Could it be a card reader device? Mine shows up as 3 drives.

david02
10-07-2006, 09:53 PM
nope I do not have a cardreader.

I have no other data storage devices connected or ever connected to my computer.

btw I also have an a: floppy drive and gmail drive . that's all

manofstyle
10-08-2006, 06:03 AM
What do you see in Device Manager? Also, have you tried looking in your Bios Setup?

dodgy368
10-08-2006, 08:24 AM
How big is G drive?

david02
10-09-2006, 01:57 AM
In the BIOS two drives and one cdrom are detected and in device manager also.

the drive g: is 0 bytes

peterjohno
10-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Right click on my computer on go to manage. check what drives you are showing there and try to delete the rogue one . Are you sure you havent got alcohol or something like that on your pc , which creates a virtual drive ???

peat moss
10-16-2006, 01:05 AM
If you have a burning program that supports Virtual drives , that sometimes will show as a new drive . Unmount the drive then reboot see what you got .

RTS48
10-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Nero, Alcohol 120% and many other image handling programs will automatically set up a virtual drive. If you don't have an image mounted then it will show as 'zero' bytes. If you right click on the drive letter it will usually show a command to 'mount image' - this is a sure sign that it is a virtual drive. Otherwise follow 'peterjono's' instructions - they work!

Good luck

RTS48

Tmaster
10-18-2006, 02:51 PM
check device manager

david02
10-18-2006, 05:14 PM
thanks for all advice, but I tried all the obvious things. I appeared when XP was installed clean. no virtual cdrom/dvd programs installed. in device manager only two harddisks , also in the BIOS. I checked disk managment , only two drives not one is partitoned. no other data storage devices except dvd-R player and floppy disk ..

well maybe I have to live with it , it is just an icon