PDA

View Full Version : Copyright laws wont let me watch videos off american websites...

Smith
10-09-2006, 09:57 PM
I dont understand why when I go to a place like launch.com, or mtv.com why it wont let me watch the streaming videos because Im outside the country.

Is there a setting in firefox that will let me get past this?

Damnatory
10-10-2006, 08:50 AM
I dont understand why when I go to a place like launch.com, or mtv.com why it wont let me watch the streaming videos because Im outside the country.

Is there a setting in firefox that will let me get past this?

I'm pretty sure it is the browser issue. Launch does not allow firefox to load the video applet for some reason to do with the ActiveX controller. You can however open launch in an IETab (http://ietab.mozdev.org/), or just try it with the IE browser if you don't like extensions.

Virtualbody1234
10-10-2006, 12:07 PM
It's not a browser issue. I just tried both Firefox and IE at mtv.com and got: "Copyrights restrict us from playing this video outside the U.S."

Try a U.S. proxy server.

harrycary
10-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Your IP address won't allow you to view those videos.
(IPs are unique to their country of origin)

I'm in the US and ran into the same problem trying to view video from the BBC website for some of their recent TV shows.

A proxy server might be your best bet.

Damnatory
10-11-2006, 04:25 PM
It's not a browser issue. I just tried both Firefox and IE at mtv.com and got: "Copyrights restrict us from playing this video outside the U.S."
That's crazy, it's a free service on a public website! I can't believe they would restrict it like that. They allow other countries to use their search engine to find it. :blink:

harrycary
10-11-2006, 11:11 PM
welcome to the wonderful world of intellectual property rights.