PDA

View Full Version : Windows wont start...ugh..

Smith
10-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Well I left my computer overnight to download something off BT..something ive done plenty of times before. I woke up this morning and it was frozen on my wallpaper..without any icons or anything.

So I tried to restart it but it gets to the windows XP screen and it just stays there, the little bar moves, but it wont go past that screen.

I can start it in safe mode..and Im currently in the process of transfering everything to my other computer incase the worse happens..but im just wondering.

Where do I even start trouble shooting this?

Seedler
10-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Do a windows repair.

Smith
10-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Whats that. Cause last time I did that it just installed windows over what I had and I lost everything.

Virtualbody1234
10-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Instead of Safemode can you select Last known good configuration?

Smith
10-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Ill try that, after im done transfering goods to my dads buisness computer. Good thinking this time I had a folder on my desktop with 9 gigs worth of programs, patches, drivers and other stuff to transfer incase of a problem.

Along with my 4 gigs of music..and luckely for my my mp3 players hd quit so im hoping i can get it all over before anything else happens.

Virtualbody1234
10-10-2006, 10:12 PM
It would be better for the contents of that folder to be on another partition than your system partition.

And have a backup.

Smith
10-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Alright, I did a system restore and it didnt fix the problem. Whats next?

suprafreak6
10-10-2006, 11:16 PM
you know, this is a shot in the dark, but its worth a try, unhook everything you dont need, see if u get it to boot, you dont need floppy cd rom or extra perherepials...

Smith
10-10-2006, 11:30 PM
I dont have a floppy..just card reader. Im fucking pissed right now..this computer is only a month old and its already fucking up.

e/
I was wondering if this would help...I remember looking at temperatures about 2 weeks ago..my cpu would never go over 42C..now its sitting at 50C idle. NO OC at all.

AM2 x2 4200.
I turn the fan off and temps climb quick..within 15 seconds it was at 55 and rising..i quickly turned it back on.

suprafreak6
10-10-2006, 11:47 PM
hmm, maybe your heatsink is not getting enough thermal paste to the cpu?could always be a mobo problem

Seedler
10-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Windows repair is when you boot from your windows xp cd, and the system checks all windows files and replace all missing/damaged ones.

Your data should be safe during a repair install.

Smith
10-11-2006, 01:04 AM
uill give that a try tommorow seedler, what do u guys think of this temp problem..causes, soloutions?

backlash
10-11-2006, 12:21 PM
You can try hooking up the HD to your spare pc and running some virus scans and such on it.

suprafreak6
10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
uill give that a try tommorow seedler, what do u guys think of this temp problem..causes, soloutions?

we never completly decided it was a temp problem

Smith
10-11-2006, 10:07 PM
I cknow..Im just wondering if that would cause my problems.

I ran a virus scan in safe mode..looks fine to me.

Im trying to do a system repair.

I boot with CD, press R for repair. it goes to a black screen and asks what partition I want to repair (i only have 1). it asks for a admin password..then just goes to command prompt.

what do I do after this?

Virtualbody1234
10-11-2006, 10:36 PM
That's not the correct way to do a repair. That's the recovery console.

Press Enter instead of "R".

You should then be presented with 2 choices:

* to repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
* To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.
That's where you press R.

Btw. Did you try Last Known Good Configuration option?

Smith
10-11-2006, 10:41 PM
I did, no difference. Im really astarting to think its a hardware issue..I was doing another virus scan in safe mode and it froze on the screen saver.

the heatsink on the mobo is incredibally hot to the touch.

clocker
10-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Do a windows repair.
AFTER you eliminate hardware as the culprit.

I did, no difference. Im really astarting to think its a hardware issue...the heatsink on the mobo is incredibally hot to the touch.
Which it shouldn't be.

Virtualbody1234
10-12-2006, 03:13 PM

Are the fins of the heatsink clean?
Is the CPU fan spinning?
Does the case have good airflow?

Smith
10-12-2006, 08:23 PM

Are the fins of the heatsink clean?
Is the CPU fan spinning?
Does the case have good airflow?

Yes to all 3. Sparkling clean, exaust fans in an open spot and the fans are spinning.

The guy wants me to bring it in..with the windows disk. But its pirated lol. I hope he dosnt mind.