PDA

View Full Version : Chipping a PS2 yourself?

htmark
10-11-2006, 11:24 PM
How easy is it to add a mod chip to your ps2? And how much will it cost?

abu_has_the_power
10-11-2006, 11:43 PM
depends on what version your ps2 is. the older version, the bigger one, is slightly easier to chip because the solder points are slightly more spread apart. that said, u still have to be pretty good w/ a soldering iron to chip 20-30 tiny wire connectors. the chips run from $10 to prob more than $50.

if u have the newer slim ps2, and u have had no previous experience, there's a very large chance you'll fuck up. smaller circuit board, smaller area, much harder to solder.

i'd highly recommend u pay a professional to do it. check ps2scene forums for many professionals, including feedback on stores like xmodds.com and other sites that sell the chip and will install into your ps2.

i got mine done @ xmodds.com for around $80. had it for over 6 months now.

Damnatory
10-12-2006, 06:06 AM
I agree completely, I've been doing alot of research into it myself and it seems like a pretty difficult procedure.

That being said though, I think I'm still going to try it. I've got a v1 or v2 mobo in mine so it should be a little easier, however I bought a dead motherboard off of one of the professional modders on ps2-scene so that I may practice soldering before I attempt it. I really don't want to render my PS2 a paper weight.

htmark
10-12-2006, 06:50 AM
I got the older version

htmark
10-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Also i'm in the UK

Formula1
10-12-2006, 10:20 AM
yeah, when i tried to install it myself i literally had little expreience myself. I ended up fucking up one of the pins on the ps2 motherboard. That's when i decided to have a pro do it and replace the motherboard for me. Also when you install a modchip be sure you replace the ps2 laser with a 400c

go to http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/index.php? and see if you can find a member named N£TM£ÇH, he's trustworthy.

Damnatory
10-12-2006, 06:54 PM
yeah, when i tried to install it myself i literally had little expreience myself. I ended up fucking up one of the pins on the ps2 motherboard. That's when i decided to have a pro do it and replace the motherboard for me. Also when you install a modchip be sure you replace the ps2 laser with a 400c

go to http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/index.php? and see if you can find a member named N£TM£ÇH, he's trustworthy.

Yeah I've been looking at some of the installs N£TM£ÇH has done, impressively professional!

Check this one out:

http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/3236/matrixv12underheromw2.jpg

htmark
10-13-2006, 03:38 PM
But hes in the US right?

Formula1
10-13-2006, 05:08 PM
yeah he's located around chicago, IL.

abu_has_the_power
10-13-2006, 05:32 PM
yeah he's located around chicago, IL.

yes, netmech does some pretty dec work. i lived in chicago up till 2 months ago, and i felt stupid for getting mine modded by xmodds when there's at least 3-4 pro modders in the area who could do it for less. oh well :pinch: