PDA

View Full Version : How do you like to view your Divx/Xvid files?

Suphix
10-12-2006, 10:45 PM
I have allways wonderd what the most popular method out there is for watching your Divx/Xvid Movie's TV shows Ect.

Do you watch them on your PC monitor?

Divx DVD player?

Hard Drive media Player...

Or other?

I personanly own a little £30 Divx DVD player that play's pretty much anything a though at it... but i just hate having to burn so many DVD's or CD's (spesh when it doesnt support multi-session)

I am considering buying this little one off Amazon Here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/ATMT-DIRECT-TV-MEDIA-CENTRE-External/dp/B000GTOJHU/sr=8-6/qid=1160693049/ref=sr_1_6/026-3655754-6877256?ie=UTF8&s=electronics)

But with HDTV taking over so rapidly... what do you think?

Also... not 100% sure if this is in the right section... so if it's not feel fry to move it :P

Busyman™
10-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Oppo Digital OPDV971H

http://oppodigital.com/images/opdv971h_home.gif

1. Plays DivX and XviD
2. Upconverts to 780p/1080i (HD)
3. One of the highest scoring upconvert players on the market.
4.$200

I can download a 350MB TV episode and this baby will bump it up to the best possible picture and of course it'll take care of all your DVDs.

I'd recommend you start using DVD+/-RW for watching TV episodes since one usually doesn't care about saving them after viewing. One RW will save you 1000 DVD+/-Rs.

Suphix
10-12-2006, 11:14 PM
does that support multi-session DVD's then?

Because that really pissed me off.... i burnt the first ep of lost s03 to a DVD-R then go to burn the second ep... and it wouldnt show up...

im thinking of getting a HDTV and hooking it up to my PC with a new gfx card then play my files that way straight off the HD.

{I}{K}{E}
10-13-2006, 07:40 AM
XviD DVD player because the picture of XviD movies has better quality on my tv :D

Suphix
10-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Definatly looks so much better when you play a file on your TV than on a PC monitor... i wonder if its the same with a HDTV?

omgwirjo
10-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Full screen on LCD monitor is good enough for me.
I don't have a DivX player sadly.

10-13-2006, 10:27 AM
i usually watch xvid movies on my lcd monitor too. i occasionally burn some tv series to dvd and watch them on my divx compatable dvd player because they can be lengthy, but most of my disks are saved for dvd movies and other data.

Busyman
10-13-2006, 01:59 PM

Because that really pissed me off.... i burnt the first ep of lost s03 to a DVD-R then go to burn the second ep... and it wouldnt show up...

im thinking of getting a HDTV and hooking it up to my PC with a new gfx card then play my files that way straight off the HD.

Why burn 1 ep....and then burn the 2nd ep?

I burn all the files as data all at one time.

I don't need to hook up my PC to the HDTV.

Busyman
10-13-2006, 02:00 PM
XviD DVD player because the picture of XviD movies has better quality on my tv :D

Better than what?

Busyman
10-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Definatly looks so much better when you play a file on your TV than on a PC monitor... i wonder if its the same with a HDTV?

You need an upconvert DVD player or (I'd imagine) a HDTV card for your computer.

I would like to have one of these 32" LCD HDTVs I've seen for $800. Otherwise I'm not watching TV shows on a computer monitor.

That sucks.

manker
10-13-2006, 02:33 PM

I burn all the files as data all at one time. When a new series starts that you want to watch, you download episode one, burn it to dvd using multisession and watch it using the DivX player. The subsequent week, you download episode two, burn it using multisession and watch it using the DivX player.

So on til either the disc is full or the series finishes.

Some players won't support this, his doesn't. He was asking if the player you have does support it.

Any clearer?

Fake Shemp
10-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I wait until an entire series has finished and then burn it. Or lose it all when my hard drive explodes/implodes/elopes. Whichever happens first.

Currently I'm thinking it'd be cheaper to just buy new hard drives for storage.

I watch my files on my monitor, sometimes in a reduced window if it's something I'm not totally into like BSG or Supernatural.

Suphix
10-13-2006, 03:00 PM

I burn all the files as data all at one time. When a new series starts that you want to watch, you download episode one, burn it to dvd using multisession and watch it using the DivX player. The subsequent week, you download episode two, burn it using multisession and watch it using the DivX player.

Some players won't support this, his doesn't. He was asking if the player you have does support it.

Any clearer?

Spot on (saved me explaining it, thank you lol)

and yea... i have no idea why your Divx movie's look so much better on your tv than your PC monitor... must be to do with pixels (beacuse i have a really high resolution)

anyway... i think its worth getting a little harddrive with a SCART connection. and just doing it that way (or plugging my pc straight into the TV)

Busyman
10-13-2006, 03:14 PM

Any clearer?

Mmk.

@Suphix - No, unless there has been a recent firmware update.

I have to agree with Fake Shemp. I'd probably just wait until the series ended (or can fill up one DVD) 'till I watched.

Another thing to try is to fill up the DVD with more than one downloaded series' episode.

For instance, in one week add Lost, Vanished, Prison Break, etc. 'till the disc is full.

Oh and all of that can be scratched by just simply using....DVDRW.

Seedling
10-13-2006, 03:40 PM
LCD monitor just because I dont have a good TV.

InTheCave
10-13-2006, 05:39 PM
philips 5960 via usb jump drive or external hdd. no burning of optical required. fairly sweet.

ahmedbakeer
10-13-2006, 10:50 PM
i usally see the xvid movies in my computer

mr. nails
10-14-2006, 04:54 AM
i don't waste time in burning/converting then watching... i use my pc as my media center and have my couch & chair let alone my pc chair in the living room. combine that with 5.1 surround and i'm just fine. looks and sounds GREAT to me and if i do decide to burn... i just burn the whole series/movie as data then watch it as said another time. meh.

Kace
10-15-2006, 10:38 PM
I use to run an S-Video cable to my tv from my PC, but a couple weeks ago I picked up the Philips DVP5960 Up-Converting DVD Player which plays DivX videos and has a USB port on the front. It's great because I now burn full seasons to DVD as DivX and if there's a show that I'm watching one episode at a time (such as Jericho) rather then using a DVD-R for one single episode, I just copy it to my USB drive and pop it into the USB port on the front of the DVD player. It's great watching downloaded shows now on my 42" HD Plasma.

Karen DiConcet
10-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I think I'd prefer to be able to watch on the sofa in the living room, but I watch on my computer because it's quieter here (noisy siblings), and my monitor is better than the TV.

Also I found out how to use FFDshow to make things look hawt.

Busyman™
10-16-2006, 06:42 AM
I use to run an S-Video cable to my tv from my PC, but a couple weeks ago I picked up the Philips DVP5960 Up-Converting DVD Player which plays DivX videos and has a USB port on the front. It's great because I now burn full seasons to DVD as DivX and if there's a show that I'm watching one episode at a time (such as Jericho) rather then using a DVD-R for one single episode, I just copy it to my USB drive and pop it into the USB port on the front of the DVD player. It's great watching downloaded shows now on my 42" HD Plasma.

What a great idea! (takes look at Philips)

Busyman™
10-16-2006, 06:50 AM
Hmmm....does the Philips play XviD? I saw this player for $60 at Circuit City.

manker
10-16-2006, 01:49 PM

What a great idea! (takes look at Philips)Wow! I'd not heard of that but now I want a DivX player with a usb port.

===

I usually burn whole series to dvdr or if it's a series that I can't wait til the end of the season to watch, like Prison Break, Lost, Heroes or BSG, I download them as they are released and put them on a cd/dvdrw to watch on the big telly.

I don't think I've ever watched a film and only a few tv episodes here and there on my monitor.

Suphix
10-16-2006, 03:00 PM
That Philips does sound tasty with USB but i cant find it in any UK stores... i think im going to go for one of those 3.5" hard drives multimedia things with a SCART but i dont think it would be any good with HD media :-(

fideus
10-16-2006, 03:02 PM
I use the Philips divx/xvid player connected to a Yamaha RX-V2600 upscaler then projected onto a 120 inch screen via a panasonic ae900u high def projector

fartmonger
10-16-2006, 03:08 PM
i have a toshiba that plays divx and upconverts to hd, i am kind of a hd nut so the whole upconverts thing isnt workin for me but my divx files on are amazing it will play a cdr with one or two or a dvdr with several. cost me about 60 bucks at costco would recomend it to anyone.

joeybuttawipo
10-16-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm not too fickle about my viewing pleasure, I just burn to dvd and watch on tv thru the dvd player.

Suphix
10-16-2006, 04:30 PM
i have a toshiba that plays divx and upconverts to hd, i am kind of a hd nut so the whole upconverts thing isnt workin for me but my divx files on are amazing it will play a cdr with one or two or a dvdr with several. cost me about 60 bucks at costco would recomend it to anyone.

yes im definatly considering an upconverter just want something with a USB port so i can plug my external on it.

Busyman™
10-16-2006, 09:18 PM

yes im definatly considering an upconverter just want something with a USB port so i can plug my external on it.

Oppo DV-970HD
http://oppodigital.com/images/dv_970hd_home.gif

Kace
10-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Hmmm....does the Philips play XviD? I saw this player for $60 at Circuit City.

It's worked for me.

EDIT: I picked it up at Best Buy for $50 CDN about 3 weeks ago.

Busyman™
10-17-2006, 09:59 PM
I found this on the Philips player

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675600

@Kace - do you have a HDTV? I want to know the quality of the upconversion on the Philips 5960.

The USB idea is great! Hell I'd never burn DivX/XviD movies again nor would I bother with tivoing non-HD content.

I need the tivo hard drive space for real HD shows.

Great thread, btw.

Kace
10-18-2006, 04:46 PM

@Kace - do you have a HDTV? I want to know the quality of the upconversion on the Philips 5960.

The USB idea is great! Hell I'd never burn DivX/XviD movies again nor would I bother with tivoing non-HD content.

Great thread, btw.

Yeah, I read that thread before I bought the DVD player. Mine works great...I did have to d/l and update the firmware on the DVD player though to play DTS when using the HDMI and Coax outputs on the DVD player...but that took all of 5 mins and it works great now.

I have a 42" HD Plasma (Phillips also) and although I don't have much to compare this DVD player to since I've used my PS2 as my DVD player up until now...I must say that the upconverting does work and does look sharp on my TV. Even if it isn't top notch, for the price of the 5960, the ease of use with DivX and the USB port, I can justify purchasing this DVD player. :D I know once the HD/Blu-Ray players become more reasonable in price, I'll be picking one of them up anyways. I use the 5960 more for DivX then for DVD's anyways.

Also, fyi, since I only have an old 128mb usb flash drive, I use my Compact Flash card reader with a 1 gig CF card in it as my usb drive and it works great when watching one or two episodes at a time.

Let me know if u have any other questions, I'll be glad to try and help answer them for u.

Busyman™
10-18-2006, 05:07 PM

Great thread, btw.

Yeah, I read that thread before I bought the DVD player. Mine works great...I did have to d/l and update the firmware on the DVD player though to play DTS when using the HDMI and Coax outputs on the DVD player...but that took all of 5 mins and it works great now.

I have a 42" HD Plasma (Phillips also) and although I don't have much to compare this DVD player to since I've used my PS2 as my DVD player up until now...I must say that the upconverting does work and does look sharp on my TV. Even if it isn't top notch, for the price of the 5960, the ease of use with DivX and the USB port, I can justify purchasing this DVD player. :D I know once the HD/Blu-Ray players become more reasonable in price, I'll be picking one of them up anyways. I use the 5960 more for DivX then for DVD's anyways.

Also, fyi, since I only have an old 128mb usb flash drive, I use my Compact Flash card reader with a 1 gig CF card in it as my usb drive and it works great when watching one or two episodes at a time.

Let me know if u have any other questions, I'll be glad to try and help answer them for u.

Thank mang.

I've been thinking whether I should get an HD-DVD player (since they upconvert also) but I don't know if there is one with USB ports on it.

The Oppo player (without the USB) is the best upconverting player out there and I've wondering whether to get the one with USB.

The thing is that it doesn't have the Faroudja chip. It uses Mediatek.

Do you notice many artifacts when you upconvert DivX/XviD content? I just want the best possible picture when watching this stuff. I saved many shows that I've downloaded just to watch them in (upconverted) HD and would hold off burning them to disc if I can send them to USB.

Btw, for anyone wanting a simple DivX DVD player, the Philips DVP-642 is only $40 at Circuit City now. That's great for non-HDTVs.

Kace
10-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Thank mang.

I've been thinking whether I should get an HD-DVD player (since they upconvert also) but I don't know if there is one with USB ports on it.

The Oppo player (without the USB) is the best upconverting player out there and I've wondering whether to get the one with USB.

Do you notice many artifacts when you upconvert DivX/XviD content? I just want the best possible picture when watching this stuff. I saved many shows that I've downloaded just to watch them in (upconverted) HD and would hold off burning them to disc if I can send them to USB.

Btw, for anyone wanting a simple DivX DVD player, the Philips DVP-642 is only $40 at Circuit City now. That's great for non-HDTVs.

About the artifacts and quality of the DivX files, I don't notice or see any artifacts and as I said before, when comparing the quality I don't have much to compare to since I use to use my PS2 as my main DVD player.

However, when I compare watching the show Jericho on my satellite in HD and watching DivX on the 5960, there is very little difference noticed. I think it looks better then SDTV, but not as good as HDTV. If you understand what I'm saying.

My recommendation would be to try the 5960, if it meets your expectations then it's really good bang for your buck, if you don't like it, u could just return it.

Busyman™
10-20-2006, 03:52 AM
Thank mang.

About the artifacts and quality of the DivX files, I don't notice or see any artifacts and as I said before, when comparing the quality I don't have much to compare to since I use to use my PS2 as my main DVD player.

However, when I compare watching the show Jericho on my satellite in HD and watching DivX on the 5960, there is very little difference noticed. I think it looks better then SDTV, but not as good as HDTV. If you understand what I'm saying.

My recommendation would be to try the 5960, if it meets your expectations then it's really good bang for your buck, if you don't like it, u could just return it.

I just bought one and am about to hook it up. Funny you mentioned Jericho. I've missed many episodes and have most of them downloaded (although I just noticed CBS has it on On Demand:huh: ) I got it for $80 and have to send in a $20 rebate form.

I mainly wanted make sure that it'll upconvert DivX and XviD.

I understand it's not as good as HD but better than SD simply it's upconverted and not native 720p/1080i.

siik
10-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Am I the only one with an Xbox w/XBMC ? No need to burn & store discs. 3x 300gB drives in external USB cases attached to PC streaming to the box via Samba share plus an internal 300gB drive. 1.2 terabytes on tap works well. Component cable to the plasma display = anamorphic goodness. I've yet to meet a video file that XBMC won't play back on the telly. CBF with file conversion etc.

Busyman™
10-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Am I the only one with an Xbox w/XBMC ? No need to burn & store discs. 3x 300gB drives in external USB cases attached to PC streaming to the box via Samba share plus an internal 300gB drive. 1.2 terabytes on tap works well. Component cable to the plasma display = anamorphic goodness. I've yet to meet a video file that XBMC won't play back on the telly. CBF with file conversion etc.

Actually I have a Xbox with XMBC. The only problem is when it upconverts, it puts black bars on the top and bottom. It is also inconvenient to have my main desktop downstairs where my big screen is.

I guess I could have transferred the files wireless to it but hadn't even tried to work that out. There is also my laptop that I could have wireless transferred to and then USBed to the Xbox but again, I hadn't tried.

I wish I had a bigger HD in my Xbox. It's 200 GB and filled with games that I don't even play.:dry:

AndrewBarker
10-20-2006, 06:09 PM
i convert them to dvd format using tmpgenc besweet and tmpgenc dvd author, then if a friend wants a copy its universally compatible

i also have a hardware divx dvd player for quick viewing

Kace
10-20-2006, 06:22 PM
I just bought one and am about to hook it up. Funny you mentioned Jericho. I've missed many episodes and have most of them downloaded (although I just noticed CBS has it on On Demand:huh: ) I got it for $80 and have to send in a $20 rebate form.

I understand it's not as good as HD but better than SD simply it's upconverted and not native 720p/1080i.

Nice, let me know what u think of it...I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. Be sure to upgrade the firmware via the link in the AVSforums link u posted earlier.

Busyman™
10-20-2006, 06:40 PM

Nice, let me know what u think of it...I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. Be sure to upgrade the firmware via the link in the AVSforums link u posted earlier.

It looks great. I watched a piece of Firefly on it.

I was going to ask you what are the advantages of upgrading the firmware besides getting DTS through HDMI?

Btw I noticed that the firmware update says UK. When I look under US I get a file not found for the page.

edit: nvm when I change the country to US, it's the same file. Downloading now!

Busyman™
10-20-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm not too fickle about my viewing pleasure, I just burn to dvd and watch on tv thru the dvd player.

Once you get an HDTV you'll be very fickle. I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago.

worldpease
10-21-2006, 03:49 AM
I watch my Divx/Xvid movies in my
Samsung HT (Divx Certified)(HT-P38)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0007RXJ5E.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

But I have to admit that I get a lot more compatibility problems
that with the Phillips Divx I used to own.