PDA

View Full Version : Can your ISP see what trackers you connect to using torrents?

gamer4eva
10-13-2006, 06:05 PM
As above and just curious is all!!!!!!!!!!:lol:
So can they see what trackers i am connected to if they wanted too or would it come up as downloading from server bla bla bla or would they know its torrents?

Skillz808
10-13-2006, 07:46 PM
I dont think they can but can someone confirm this ? i would also like to know .

Damnatory
10-14-2006, 06:11 AM
I'm not sure if they can pin-point exactly which tracker you use, however I do know that they can definately tell when you've connected to a p2p network. Dozens of peers hammering the same port is a dead give-away.

omgwirjo
10-14-2006, 10:19 AM
They won't know if you turn on encryption :D

Chewie
10-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Since everything you do online has to go through your ISPs server that connects you to the interweb, it's a pretty safe bet that they could monitor that connection.
If they employ an invisible proxy then every connection request requiring DNS resolution that your computer makes could be recognisable to them.

I don't believe that any ISP is going to monitor users as a matter of course so staying inside any 'fair usage' guidelines they have should prevent you coming to their attention.

gamer4eva
10-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Since everything you do online has to go through your ISPs server that connects you to the interweb, it's a pretty safe bet that they could monitor that connection.
If they employ an invisible proxy then every connection request requiring DNS resolution that your computer makes could be recognisable to them.

I don't believe that any ISP is going to monitor users as a matter of course so staying inside any 'fair usage' guidelines they have should prevent you coming to their attention.

I am not enforced by any fair usage policy but i just wanted to know out of curiousity!!!:lol:

100%
10-14-2006, 09:43 PM
My contact to my isp has this in his email signature

/'^'\
( o o )
====oOOO===(_)===OOOo========

Med vennlig hilsen
Ole xxxxxxxx Tlf direkte xxxxxxx
Produktkonsulent Sentralbord xxxxxxxxxxx
DataGuard AS Fax xxxxxxxxxx

Oooo.
======.oooO===( )==========
( ) ) /
\ ( (_/
\_)

I think i'm ok with that isp

racer0509
10-15-2006, 03:16 AM
Although I do believe that many ISPs can monitor, I don't know if they would actually enforce it unless you were majorly infringing upon their bandwith.

bootsum
10-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Yes, if they wish to, it is definitely possible.
It is your ISP which gives you your bandwidth and connection services.
Your ISP is the biggest spy to you, if they wish to do.

Danny8II8
10-19-2006, 05:04 AM
Yeah , I thought about this a while back your ISP is the only that definetly knows when your using a torrent program probaly the files your downloading too since your using most of your bandwidth if you have cable like I do with Time Warner. What if the MPAA of FBI or RAA and w/e else there is decide to demand logs on users of certain ISP providers to get peoople in trouble :ermm:
Could they do that?

gamer4eva
10-19-2006, 05:18 AM
I am not a heavy downloader myself and some months i download probably just like 5GB-10GB. I know of some that download like 300-400GB monthly. I was just curious but i guess its all true because they are actually providing my services.

bootsum
10-19-2006, 07:13 AM
What if the MPAA of FBI or RAA and w/e else there is decide to demand logs on users of certain ISP providers to get peoople in trouble :ermm:
Could they do that?

Yes, they could. But due to privacy laws, it is not easy.

They either pressurise your ISP to give out your info and Internet activities. If your ISP gives out this info without your consent (you might be able to counter sue or use it against them if it ever goes to court). You may still sue the ISP even if the contract says your ISP can give out information on you without your consent.

The formal way is to ask the court to subpoena your ISP and force them to give out your personal information. If the court says okay, your ISP has to give out the information. They will contact you about that.

But different countries differ in law. You should check it yourself to make sure your ISP won't be easy to betray you.

bootsum
10-19-2006, 07:20 AM
I was just curious but i guess its all true because they are actually providing my services.

Your ISP is the ultimate spy. You are doomed if they are givng out your information to anti-P2P companies.

One method I could think of is encryption. Encrypt all your data traffic. Your ISP only knows where you go to/from, but they don't know the content of your traffic (unless they know how to crack the encryption or decrypt your traffic). Sharing in the encrypted (but dead slow) channel is probably the safest bet.

INGtensive
10-19-2006, 12:05 PM
There's no doubt they can see trackers that i use.

Danny8II8
10-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Can they even tell what forums you go on and read this post lol?
I know there are anti privacy laws and I'v heard about those kind of countersuits but still theres always the chance of your isp giving your information to people that will try to use it against you so how do I encrypt the channel my data flows through?

bootsum
10-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Can they even tell what forums you go on and read this post lol?

Why not?

They know any website you have visited. This thead is no exception :(

Aaron_T
10-21-2006, 12:35 AM
Isp's do not know what websites we go on and they cannot see what we are doing, all they can see is the amount you are downloading.

TiME`
10-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Isp's do not know what websites we go on and they cannot see what we are doing, all they can see is the amount you are downloading.

so true !

Chewie
10-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Since FST doesn't use secure connections your ISP could read anything you transmit to it.
They'd need to be actively monitoring you for some reason first, of course, but it's folly to say they can't see it if they want to.

bootsum
10-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Completely wrong.
Please learn how the Internet infrastructure works (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-infrastructure.htm) first.

It is the ISP who provides you Internet access.
When you access to a website or download a website, your request is processed through your ISP. They will have logs about this.

In closed society like China and North Korea, the ISPs will co-operate with the government to monitor citizens' activities on the Internet. They control what information they can receive. If you are caught doing any anti-government activities on the Internet, the government will arrest you.

Aaron_T
10-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Completely wrong.
Please learn how the Internet infrastructure works (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-infrastructure.htm) first.

It is the ISP who provides you Internet access.
When you access to a website or download a website, your request is processed through your ISP. They will have logs about this.

In closed society like China and North Korea, the ISPs will co-operate with the government to monitor citizens' activities on the Internet. They control what information they can receive. If you are caught doing any anti-government activities on the Internet, the government will arrest you.

Bullshit. It is illegal for any internet service provider to monitor anything other than the amount that you are downloading... and even that has only recently became tolerable as things like download quotas and fair use policies have came into place in the last five years.

Melvinmeow
10-22-2006, 12:23 PM
I acctually worked for Cox a few years back. You wouldnt beleive the information we used to be able to monitor when needed.

I could freaken tell you what images off a site you even loaded.
Pretty much anything you can see from your browser they can pickup if they wanted.
We of coarse wouldnt monitor this stuff unless we felt you were breaking the current laws in any way.
Even with encryption on in your programs ex: ssl. We could still tell which ips you were connecting to and how much you were downloading from that particular ip as well as at what speed. We could see more detailed information as well but wont get into that as to not scare the bageebers out of anyone.

Again this would only be watched if monitoring was needed. I worked in the division that did this as our primary job and we would be lucky to get any calls to monitor people. Im not trying to scare anyone.

bootsum
10-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Bullshit. It is illegal for any internet service provider to monitor anything other than the amount that you are downloading... and even that has only recently became tolerable as things like download quotas and fair use policies have came into place in the last five years.

What you say is just that they won't bother to do it, not they can't do it.

Unless the law in your country is very different, I haven't heard such things thatit is illegal to log your Internet activities. Note that logging your activities is not equal to using this log for illegal or malicious purposes. Please quote which country and which law if you think otherwise.

bootsum
10-22-2006, 03:52 PM
I acctually worked for Cox a few years back. You wouldnt beleive the information we used to be able to monitor when needed.

I could freaken tell you what images off a site you even loaded.
Pretty much anything you can see from your browser they can pickup if they wanted.

It is not surprising at all if you understand how Internet infrastructure works (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-infrastructure.htm). Simply speaking, ISP works like a middeman between you and the Internet. Every communication to/from you has to go through the middleman first. For example, if you login on a website which doesn't require secure connection, the ISP can know your password. I'm not frightening you. Personally I don't think they will do, but that's the truth.

Even with encryption on in your programs ex: ssl. We could still tell which ips you were connecting to and how much you were downloading from that particular ip as well as at what speed.Yes, very true.
But you don't know the content of the traffic, which is most important.

We could see more detailed information as well but wont get into that as to not scare the bageebers out of anyone.Simply tell them the truth. People should not just close their ears and live in the dream. Lying to themselves no one can know what you are doing is making them more stupid and ignorant.
They need to know the facts. If things go worse, they will know how to protect themselves.

Again this would only be watched if monitoring was needed. I worked in the division that did this as our primary job and we would be lucky to get any calls to monitor people. Im not trying to scare anyone.Although ISP is potentially a large threat to us, I don't think they are interested to watch every user activity unless they have a reason to do.

Melvinmeow
10-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Although ISP is potentially a large threat to us, I don't think they are interested to watch every user activity unless they have a reason to do.
Exactly the case.

BY other things I didnt mention above. We could litteraly see what folder you were transferring files into and take visual snapshots of the contents of these folders. (Much like what you get from MPAA and RIAA on occasion.)

nizrulesall
10-23-2006, 03:36 AM
[quote]We could litteraly see what folder you were transferring files into and take visual snapshots of the contents of these folders. (Much like what you get from MPAA and RIAA on occasion.)

I find that very hard to swallow........:dry:

bootsum
10-23-2006, 07:19 AM
[quote=Melvinmeow;1514853]

I find that very hard to swallow........:dry:

Have you read or understood how the Internet infrastructure works (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-infrastructure.htm)?
Do you know the role of the ISP when you connect to the Internet?

Uninstall
10-23-2006, 05:40 PM
as far as i know, your isp monitors all you internet activities and keeps logs for some time!

so i think that it can know what trackers you are connected to!

however, i dont think that any ISP would bother about it, because that is way of grabing money, and that 's the reason why ISP's sells more or less internet connection speed ;)

(sorry my english)

PooBar
10-23-2006, 09:12 PM
my isp allows bit totrrent trafic ...and uploads are unmetered ,so i can upload as much as i want ..i got 1bit up :-D