PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Show with John Stewart

100%
10-13-2006, 09:17 PM
I read a while back that it has more updated information than "real news. This is obviously bogus.
Nonetheless
The way he sometimes goes against the Us governement astonishes me, and i wonder is this allowed over there, sometimes it is too harsh. (i love it-don't we all)
Did this show exist before the present president, did he do the same to Clinton and will he behave the same towards the next president?
Should I see this show as a charicature or a political message.
?

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/292/020904dailyshrub3oj5.jpg

j2k4
10-13-2006, 10:50 PM
I read a while back that it has more updated information than "real news. This is obviously bogus.
Nonetheless
The way he sometimes goes against the Us governement astonishes me, and i wonder is this allowed over there, sometimes it is too harsh. (i love it-don't we all)
Did this show exist before the present president, did he do the same to Clinton and will he behave the same towards the next president?
?

What do you mean, "is this allowed over there"?

Do you doubt what you see?

I have no recollection of his hosting the show during the Clinton administration; Craig Kilborn was the original host of the show (having come from ESPN), and I frankly don't remember the show being as political as it is now.

As to how he'd treat another Democrat, I'll guess he'd have some fun at his/her expense, but wouldn't dare exhibit anything appraoching the contempt he demonstrates for Bush.

Conceivably a Democrat administration could mean the end of the show.

Time wll tell.

vidcc
10-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Hmm.

A "liberal slanted political show" yet it achieves higher ratings than fox news and nearly all right wing radio shows........... Couldn't be at all able to make profit...no market for that sort of thing.;)

j2k4
10-14-2006, 02:02 AM
Hmm.

A "liberal slanted political show" yet it achieves higher ratings than fox news and nearly all right wing radio shows........... Couldn't be at all able to make profit...no market for that sort of thing.;)

So-apples, oranges, and kumquats as well?

vidcc
10-14-2006, 02:19 AM
Then perhaps you have your answer to the other thread. Could it be possible that more Liberals watch TV than listen to radio?

Busyman™
10-14-2006, 04:12 AM
As said in another thread, he jabs at anything that doesn't make sense.

Politicians fuck up in general but this current administration gives him plenty of ammo. It's just too fucking easy.

Busyman™
10-14-2006, 04:14 AM
Nonetheless
?

I have no recollection of his hosting the show during the Clinton administration; Craig Kilborn was the original host of the show (having come from ESPN), and I frankly don't remember the show being as political as it is now.

As to how he'd treat another Democrat, I'll guess he'd have some fun at his/her expense, but wouldn't dare exhibit anything appraoching the contempt he demonstrates for Bush.

Conceivably a Democrat administration could mean the end of the show.

Time wll tell.

I wonder if you can fathom where this contempt for Bush might come from?

I also wonder where all the fucking colored alerts have gone?:ermm:

It is....election time again.

j2k4
10-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Then perhaps you have your answer to the other thread. Could it be possible that more Liberals watch TV than listen to radio?

If that's true, it doesn't speak well of them, since watching television can be so much more sensorily stimulating.

You may be on to something, however...the fact liberals have more time on their hands has long been held to allow them the time for all their idiotic marching and protesting...you know-those events where they show up and have to be told what to say and do, like....sheep. :huh:

I've heard of a new political imperative, BTW.

Protesters now think they ought to be paid by the government to protest.

100%
10-14-2006, 10:52 AM

Thanks for replies,
what i meant with "is this allowed over there is" - i thought it was immoral and unpatriotic, to criticise the president, governement on a "news channel". I thought it was just "not done".
Since he is doing it, all i can say is bravo.

j2k4
10-14-2006, 01:31 PM

Thanks for replies,
what i meant with "is this allowed over there is" - i thought it was immoral and unpatriotic, to criticise the president, governement on a "news channel". I thought it was just "not done".
Since he is doing it, all i can say is bravo.

It certainly gives lie to those who say the Republicans have quashed free speech, I think.

vidcc
10-14-2006, 02:51 PM
If that's true, it doesn't speak well of them, since watching television can be so much more sensorily stimulating.
You may be on to something, however...the fact liberals have more time on their hands has long been held to allow them the time for all their idiotic marching and protesting...you know-those events where they show up and have to be told what to say and do, like....sheep. :huh:

Yes indeed, conservatives and right wingers NEVER rally or hold protest marches.......... Except the ones that do it all the time :rolleyes:

Busyman™
10-14-2006, 03:14 PM

I've heard of a new political imperative, BTW.

Protesters now think they ought to be paid by the government to protest.

Well that's weird for it to be expected from the government.

Btw it helps when protesters are saying the same thing at the same time. During my picketing during strike time, we were told what to say too. DUH! :1eye:

I can recall those "idiotic" marchers and protesters getting quite a lot done during civil rights era. They got quite a lot done despite being shot with water hoses, beaten with sticks, rocks being thrown at them, and attacked by dogs set loose on them.:angry:

Maybe marching and protesting is a bad idea. There's always terrorism.:ermm:

Biggles
10-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Is the show not successful because the host and the format are very, very funny?

I was surprised Musharef went on the show - he clearly has a sense of humour. :)

j2k4
10-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Is the show not successful because the host and the format are very, very funny?

I was surprised Musharef went on the show - he clearly has a sense of humour. :)

The show is funny, without a doubt.

Musharraf definitely has a sense of humor and relates well to the American version.

I was mildly surprised.

Busyman™
10-15-2006, 05:42 AM

As I said before, the current admin makes it too easy. Don't get me wrong. If it was Dems instead of Repubs it'd still be funny since politicians can be idiots no matter the party association.

However, when you have the President saying, "We fight them over there, so we don't fight them over here" and we end up in Iraq which draws terrorists to Iraq.....

There's an easy joke there for pointing out an idiot.

I'd have loved to see the show up strong during the Monica Lewinsky scandal.:happy:

100%
10-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Funnily there was an article in the newspaper today about exactly this topic.

- rough translation -
"After 911, the us media became so patriotic and uncritical that most news seems like it is coming from the same source.

So for many americans, especially students they get a more "honest" opinion of what is really going on, from a strongly opinionated and satirical program the daily show.

Which covers the latest headlines in Seven minutes even though there is the option of watching 24hrs news channels. It shows things which the news will not show.

Indiana University is presently doing a study to show that the daily show delivers equally substantial news as normal newchannels, only it does it in a humorous way.
Ofcourse around 911 everybody gathered around the bush administration for support but after many of its failures and deceit, now comes the time for "aftersmartness".

In retrospect, the attack on the towers can be seen as a period where the media failed its duties. Just as the 2 journalists who brought to light the Watergate scandal, now two court jesters must change the climat and bring the truth forward."

j2k4
10-15-2006, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=Biggles;1503232]I'd have loved to see the show up strong during the Monica Lewinsky scandal.:happy:

Since the show's been on since 1996, and Stewart took over in 1999, we'll never know.

I hear today the DNC is officially withholding support from William Jefferson.

Judging by the lack of reaction from the major media (which includes The Daily Show), I wonder if anyone other than his constituents even remembers who he is?

Busyman™
10-15-2006, 09:32 PM
I'd have loved to see the show up strong during the Monica Lewinsky scandal.
Since the show's been on since 1996, and Stewart took over in 1999, we'll never know.

I hear today the DNC is officially withholding support from William Jefferson.

Judging by the lack of reaction from the major media (which includes The Daily Show), I wonder if anyone other than his constituents even remembers who he is?

I've seen jokes about him on the Daily Show. However, it's weird that there were Republicans defending him.:blink:

From what I gather, the evidence against him is pretty concrete so why arepeople are still supporting him?:huh:

tracydani3
10-16-2006, 12:57 AM
When we still lived in Germany, I used the Daily Show as well as places like this forum to keep me up to date:P

He definately has a way of pointing out the real issues in an event, instead of letting them stay glossed over as in the regular news.

ahctlucabbuS
10-17-2006, 01:00 AM

Yes indeed, conservatives and right wingers NEVER rally or hold protest marches.......... Except the ones that do it all the time :rolleyes:

Funny how protests are spun to be considered sheepish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone)behaviour... :rolleyes:

ram82082
10-17-2006, 02:50 AM
100%: this show IS NOT a political msg. we(USA) dont have that patriotic "all hail the queen/king" stuff. Bush is a f'in idiot. the man can barely read his own speeches, that were written for him btw.

and for all the republicans that know Bush is retarted.... it takes one to vote one 1

Biggles
10-17-2006, 07:20 PM
100%: this show IS NOT a political msg. we(USA) dont have that patriotic "all hail the queen/king" stuff. Bush is a f'in idiot. the man can barely read his own speeches, that were written for him btw.

and for all the republicans that know Bush is retarted.... it takes one to vote one 1

:dabs:

I don't even know where to begin.

j2k4
10-17-2006, 07:38 PM

:dabs:

I don't even know where to begin.

What you said, Les.

100%
10-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Well then let me help you.

100%: this show IS NOT a political msg. we(USA) dont have that patriotic "all hail the queen/king" stuff.

I did a crash course on that show this weekend, i only discovered him a week ago, turns out he has been daily showing for 7 years.

He seems to have been invited to several prime time "political" shows for his opinion.

@Ram if on TV , (with 1000 of viewers, plus you got a few emmys) you make comments about the present administration are you not sending a "political message"? /interpretation?
All comedy, even those really bad ones have heavy moral in it.
The best jokes hurt the victim the most.
Hahahahahahaha

Jon Stewart seems to be an extremly fast thinking humorous character(and is a "talker"), he has written a book which i would like to read, and when he speaks off the show he is definetly sendiing a pltcl mssge, yet When he speaks on the show he is sending a political message - called synicism or critic or you fkd up
As in the last president election he obviously showed he was for Kerry. (ooh what would have happened if kerry got the key.. a lot calmer person...)

He has been very direct about that the present administration is "worthy of alot of abuse" (my quote)
and
The media is not thinking for itself. (Thus exagerating the present governments ideaology)

The media, the movies the shazle etc over here radiates with americans love america.

@Ram - About the hail mary we worship our president thing, in europe we worship our kings and queens.
Because they are directly connected to God. The Pope will verify.tor (http://www.google.no/search?q=verify.tor&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official) this. Presidents have no power in that hemisphere. Mere passer by's.

try this for a hail mary http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/plugins/flvplayer.swf?file=http://images1.americanprogress.org/il80web20037/ThinkProgress/flv/2006/10/oreillybush.320.240.flv&autoStart=false

In Europe, this type of synicism has been used for decades, it is within us.
Daily show has it yet of course with the formalities of national decor.

Sorry my wording is a mess.

j2k4
10-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Well then let me help you.

100%: this show IS NOT a political msg. we(USA) dont have that patriotic "all hail the queen/king" stuff.

I did a crash course on that show this weekend, i only discovered him a week ago, turns out he has been daily showing for 7 years.

He seems to have been invited to several prime time "political" shows for his opinion.

@Ram if on TV , (with 1000 of viewers, plus you got a few emmys) you make comments about the present administration are you not sending a "political message"? /interpretation?
All comedy, even those really bad ones have heavy moral in it.
The best jokes hurt the victim the most.
Hahahahahahaha

Jon Stewart seems to be an extremly fast thinking humorous character(and is a "talker"), he has written a book which i would like to read, and when he speaks off the show he is definetly sendiing a pltcl mssge, yet When he speaks on the show he is sending a political message - called synicism or critic or you fkd up
As in the last president election he obviously showed he was for Kerry. (ooh what would have happened if kerry got the key.. a lot calmer person...)

He has been very direct about that the present administration is "worthy of alot of abuse" (my quote)
and
The media is not thinking for itself. (Thus exagerating the present governments ideaology)

The media, the movies the shazle etc over here radiates with americans love america.

@Ram - About the hail mary we worship our president thing, in europe we worship our kings and queens.
Because they are directly connected to God. The Pope will verify.tor (http://www.google.no/search?q=verify.tor&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official) this. Presidents have no power in that hemisphere. Mere passer by's.

try this for a hail mary http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/plugins/flvplayer.swf?file=http://images1.americanprogress.org/il80web20037/ThinkProgress/flv/2006/10/oreillybush.320.240.flv&autoStart=false

In Europe, this type of synicism has been used for decades, it is within us.
Daily show has it yet of course with the formalities of national decor.

Sorry my wording is a mess.

What have you done with Zed? :huh:

rjfan
10-19-2006, 04:28 AM
I believe this show is set under the guise of political satire. unfortunately it is probably most certainly true that a good amount of people-americans and other countries see this as one of their only source of news. so i dont think it is a stretch to assume that there are people who will say " it was on the daily show, so it must be true!" while this can be thought of most any news network the fact remains that this is nothing more than a politically slanted show placed under the assumptions by watchers that it is purely Fun and Games. I believe most propaganda is delivered this way. If not completely over the top it is slid in under the radar taking advantage of our disbelief to realize that it Is Indeed Happening.

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 04:35 AM
The makes fun of what happens and what is said on the news.

Pretty simple.

j2k4
10-19-2006, 09:46 AM
I believe this show is set under the guise of political satire. unfortunately it is probably most certainly true that a good amount of people-americans and other countries see this as one of their only source of news. so i dont think it is a stretch to assume that there are people who will say " it was on the daily show, so it must be true!" while this can be thought of most any news network the fact remains that this is nothing more than a politically slanted show placed under the assumptions by watchers that it is purely Fun and Games. I believe most propaganda is delivered this way. If not completely over the top it is slid in under the radar taking advantage of our disbelief to realize that it Is Indeed Happening.

There is certainly an element of that.

rjfan
10-19-2006, 10:26 AM
This may be a bit of a stretch but as an example of "disinformation" lets look at June 6, 1944. The Allied armies intelligence services aired large amounts of phony broadcasts throughout Europe to "disinform" the German armies of a planned attack on the French coast at Pas de Calais. First of all it was the shortest route cross' the English Channel and second of all there were no large impending bluffs as there were at the Real invasion sight of Normandy. Because of this the Atlantic Wall was not heavily re-inforced and Rommel went home for his wifes birthday! Now while I will admit the latter part of that point was in part of bad weather and Rommel believing an invasion would come later- it is still the dis-info that led him to a feeling of assuredness. So...before I start to ramble to the point of annoyance... I just wanted to re-inforce my earlier statement of using the disbelief that things are NOT happening (vis a vis the Liberal in-ability to realize we are at war) as a way of eventually defeating yourself/ourselves. After all if Rommel HAD been in France on D-Day who knows how things would have turned out. Tho I'll bet we would have eventually made it to Berlin...that is if the Russians wouldnt have got there first. P.S .....I hate to say it but yes we did help the French just a little bit in Normandy( really? ) and then of course there is that other village in that other country...Dien Bien Phu.

Biggles
10-19-2006, 07:00 PM
This may be a bit of a stretch but as an example of "disinformation" lets look at June 6, 1944. The Allied armies intelligence services aired large amounts of phony broadcasts throughout Europe to "disinform" the German armies of a planned attack on the French coast at Pas de Calais. First of all it was the shortest route cross' the English Channel and second of all there were no large impending bluffs as there were at the Real invasion sight of Normandy. Because of this the Atlantic Wall was not heavily re-inforced and Rommel went home for his wifes birthday! Now while I will admit the latter part of that point was in part of bad weather and Rommel believing an invasion would come later- it is still the dis-info that led him to a feeling of assuredness. So...before I start to ramble to the point of annoyance... I just wanted to re-inforce my earlier statement of using the disbelief that things are NOT happening (vis a vis the Liberal in-ability to realize we are at war) as a way of eventually defeating yourself/ourselves. After all if Rommel HAD been in France on D-Day who knows how things would have turned out. Tho I'll bet we would have eventually made it to Berlin...that is if the Russians wouldnt have got there first. P.S .....I hate to say it but yes we did help the French just a little bit in Normandy( really? ) and then of course there is that other village in that other country...Dien Bien Phu.

I think that the Liberal counter might be that it is not an inability to see that there is a war (or at least a struggle for ideological principles) but that it is being waged cackhandedly. That the important job in Afghanistan was left half finished to pursue a badly thought out strategy in Iraq. The result being the security assessment today that AQ is stonger and better organised than it is has ever been.

The latest proposal is that Syria and Iran take on some of the burden of easing the problems in Iraq, an idea the Iraqi Prime Minister appears to favour. Call me cynical but this sort of stuff makes shows like the Daily Show a piece of cake to write.

Re: Normandy, I thought Guillaume had already determined that De Gaulle accomplished that single handly - armed only with a spoon :shifty:

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 07:18 PM

I think that the Liberal counter might be that it is not an inability to see that there is a war (or at least a struggle for ideological principles) but that it being waged cackhandedly. That the important job in Afghanistan was left half finished to pursue a badly thought out strategy in Iraq. The result being the security assessment today that AQ is stonger and better organised than it is has ever been.

The latest proposal is that Syria and Iran take on some of the burden of easing the problems in Iraq an idea the Iraqi Prime Minister appears to favour. Call me cynical but this sort of stuff makes shows like the Daily Show a piece of cake to write.

Re: Normandy, I thought Guillaume had already determined that De Gaulle accomplished that single handly - armed only with a spoon :shifty:

Not only that, Iraq is a war that was unnecessary. Of course Bush can't bring himself to say, "I fucked up."

All he can do now is say, "Stay the course", "We're here to help the Iraqi people". Conservatives will follow along like sheep.

Fireinthedawn
10-27-2006, 06:34 AM
the sad truth is that the daily show IS our media now. all the mainstream media here do absolutely nothing they should be doing to hold ANYONE accountable for their actions. For some reason the us testing tactical nuclear weapons (scaled down for smaller use) is less of a story than some kid masturbating in the library. Investigative journalism has hit all time lows, it's sad.

ram82082
10-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Whats the big deal its a comedy show.... hosted by a COMEDIAN. He takes our good ole' prez's dumbass actions and statements and makes us laff at 'em. And no, the "real news" cannot do what John does. They still have to keep some level of objectivity.

100% ---- the other worlds perception of us all being gun totting patriots is so wrong. How could most of us even care for this man, when he's screwed this country up soo badly in such a small amount of time.

And about the kings/gueens/pope being connected to God please explain.... Last I heard the pope was an elected official(even though he's elected by other "popely" people) and royal families are just that. Kinda like how we had 2 Bush's in office and a 3rd in Fla. Aside from the pope praying all day, I fail to see the connection to God in either case.

O yea, I still say if you voted for bush your retarded.......... DEE DA DEEEEE! lol he's pleased with n. korea now too. he's like soooo awesome! I wanna run naked in the streets screaming USA!! with the stars n stripes streaming from my butthole.

clocker
11-04-2006, 04:17 PM
I wanna run naked in the streets screaming USA!! with the stars n stripes streaming from my butthole.
Which would probably get you featured on The Daily Show.

Busyman
11-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Now with the Dems controlling Congress, keep watch to see if the show changes at all.

vidcc
11-11-2006, 02:59 PM
The Comics were stumping for the republicans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzoefFhHKyQ&eurl=) Guess they will have to work for a living now;)

Busyman
11-11-2006, 05:04 PM
The Comics were stumping for the republicans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzoefFhHKyQ&eurl=) Guess they will have to work for a living now;)

"All right we need 5 minutes on competent civic policy and reduced deficits"

:glag:

Good one, vid!

ram82082
11-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Now with the Dems controlling Congress, keep watch to see if the show changes at all.

same show, different channel

j2k4
11-17-2006, 03:51 AM

Eh?

What channel is the Daily Show going to be on now?

Busyman™
11-19-2006, 06:02 AM

Eh?

What channel is the Daily Show going to be on now?

Yeah, apparently with new congressional leadership comes a station change for The Daily Show.

The fook?:blink: