PDA

View Full Version : The "special Relationship" Between The Us And Uk

Barbarossa
05-09-2003, 11:36 AM
I first started hearing about this "Special Relationship" when BattleAxe Thatcher and Ronnie Reagan were in power. Then it continued with Major and Bush-Daddy, and then Major and Clinton, and now Blair and Dubya, and so on?

So the "special relationship" has survived various regime-changes on both sides, from right-wing to left-wing, my question is, how much of this "special relationship" is based on a common language rather than a common ideology?

As food for thought, would we have still gone to war against Iraq if the native language of the USA had been French rather than English. And would the French?

Is this "Special Relationship" malarkey just a ploy by the Americans to make the British PM feel important? Do they learn it in Presidential Training Camp? I wonder...

echidna
05-09-2003, 01:31 PM
i think the language comes into it but that just makes it kind of easier for them
i know that britain started buying lots of seahawk and black hawk choppers just after rupert murdoch became a US citizen [rupert prints just about every newspaper in britain]
i think it's a 'we've got the bomb and a common language club' to some extent too it must be very easy to deploy US and UK troops beside each other as far as comms and compatability [always different rules of engagment though]

j2k4
05-09-2003, 07:03 PM
How about this:

The U.K. remains aligned and friendly with the U.S., or throws us over for the European Union and subjugates it's interests to those of France and Germany, with Russia waiting in the wings.

Sound good?

Rat Faced
05-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by echidna@9 May 2003 - 13:31
i think the language comes into it  but that just makes it kind of easier for them
i know that britain started buying lots of seahawk and black hawk choppers just after rupert murdoch became a US citizen [rupert prints just about every newspaper in britain]
i think it's a 'we've got the bomb and a common language club' to some extent too it must be very easy to deploy US and UK troops beside each other as far as comms and compatability [always different rules of engagment though]
Rupert Murdoch owns Sky TV and the Times Group (which includes The Times (which the people that own the country read...ie not that many) and The Sun, (which is a Tabloid read by millions for a laugh and to see the page 3 Girl)

Quite a large media investment I agree...but nowhere near all the media in UK (or even a large chunk of the 'serious' Newspapers)

The common language helps, but the communications equipment used by the UK is incompatable with that used by the US...so we can 'talk' to each other on it, but thats about it. I dont think we can even use a common Encryption device on them, so Battle Codes have to be spoken.

The UK use the 'Clansman' system mostly, which is very old and rather crap.

As to 'compatability' with other equipment....most NATO forces use the same calibre of ammunitions etc for this reason...

As an aside; it was always fun to get a US OP trying to order the British Artillery to fire....the two 'procedures' are exact opposites as in who is 'in charge' of the mission....the Command Post or the Observer. :lol:

soopaman
05-09-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by echidna@9 May 2003 - 14:31
i think the language comes into it but that just makes it kind of easier for them

What has arms-sales got to do with an Australian Tycoon getting US citizenship?? He only wanted US citizenship so he could buy American media companies.

The "special relationship" extends further than Thatcher/Reagan. What about Churchill/Roosevelt in WW2??

I&#39;m also pretty sure British troops would like to be a long way away from US troops in case of the inevitable friendly fire incidents&#33;&#33; <_<

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-16-2003, 06:09 AM
Language has very little to do with the friendship between theUS and GB.
This Does
1.Common moral values
2.The brits are Brave and Courageous and will stand up to evil.
They were the only country in Europe that did in WW2.
3.Culture - The culture there allthough not exactly the same has a lot in common with the US.
4.Ever heard of the 13 colonies
5.If there is 1 mother country of the US it would certainly have to be England
6.I fuckin&#39; love you guys.
Their the only country that stands by the USA thick and thin.
Hail The mother country&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
May God Truly Bless Her

j2k4
05-16-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@16 May 2003 - 01:09
Language has very little to do with the friendship between theUS and GB.
This Does
1.Common moral values
2.The brits are Brave and Courageous and will stand up to evil.
They were the only country in Europe that did in WW2.
3.Culture - The culture there allthough not exactly the same has a lot in common with the US.
4.Ever heard of the 13 colonies
5.If there is 1 mother country of the US it would certainly have to be England
6.I fuckin&#39; love you guys.
Their the only country that stands by the USA thick and thin.
Hail The mother country&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
May God Truly Bless Her
Couldn&#39;t have said it better myself. :D