PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best to get rare or old stuff?

bootsum
10-15-2006, 10:14 PM
What type of file sharing should I use - newsgroup, BT, emule or what?

Thanks.

Damnatory
10-16-2006, 08:39 PM

Thanks.
BT and eMule for older and more rare stuff definately. Newsgroups are extremely fast however they only tend to have newer stuff and requests. There are binary groups dedicated to almost everything though, you might check around.

HighFlyer
10-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Bt and Newsgroups are good if you can find the right places. I'd say emule is the best because alot of people have big share folders of just about anything from along time ago and they never stop offering them.

raggedjagged
10-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Newsgroups are gret if you can get a server with good retention rates, and you have to pay.

But the easiest and free way (although a bit slow at times) has to be eMule.

bootsum
10-17-2006, 07:40 PM

Thanks.
BT and eMule for older and more rare stuff definately. Newsgroups are extremely fast however they only tend to have newer stuff and requests. There are binary groups dedicated to almost everything though, you might check around.

Should I join private BT groups, or just public groups?
Do private BT groups offer more rare/old stuff?

Personally I think it is quite hard to find rare stuff in BT. For example, I'm looking for Bufferzone, Sandboxie (registered), Prevx1 (registered). I couldn't find any in BT. It may be either it is not offered or it is in somewhere else.

Did anyone notice most public big torrent sites seem to contain what other have? When one thing doesn't appear in several BT public sites, there is very little chance it may appear in other BT public sites. If it appears in some BT public sites, many of them will have it.

By the way, it seems BT is the most dangerous one due to its nature.
We know the IPs for all peers and seeders. Someone just need to join the stream and can gather all these IPs.

bootsum
10-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Bt and Newsgroups are good if you can find the right places. I'd say emule is the best because alot of people have big share folders of just about anything from along time ago and they never stop offering them.

I thought Newsgroups are just for super new stuff since old posts keep deleting.

How could I find true non-fake non-mislabelled non-infected files in eMule?
I have installed PeerGuardian. Is that enough to find the true quality files?
Should I use the search provided by eMule? Reliable? Can search for the whole network?
Where's the best places to spot these ed2k links?

bootsum
10-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Hmm... So what's the points of using newsgroup?
It has to be piad to access to the binary newsgroups.
Which binary newsgroups will try to contain everything (new or old; popular or rare)?

It looks like you should use newsgroups only if you are very impatient and wish to get the files as fast as possible. Otherwise the files will leak out and spread worldwide. It's just a matter of time, right?

Or does newgroups contain some rare stuff which can only find there?

Any good places to spot good ed2k links, and find rare/old stuff on ed2k network?

How about other P2P networks - limewire, Ares, WinMX etc.?

How about IRC?

lightshow
10-17-2006, 11:06 PM
If you want new and old music you should check out soulseek. It has a lot of users, and tons over tons of content

delimare
10-18-2006, 03:39 AM
Torrent Harvester can yield some nice results from time to time.

scrambler
10-18-2006, 04:20 AM
for really rare stuff, i like emule. In the past i've gone onto several torrent sites and newsgroups and couldnt find what i was looking for. I knew that amongst the masses, someone must have it. And indeed there were. On emule and 9 people sharing it. a simple search is all it took too instead of site hopping. I only use it as a last resort though as its slow.

bootsum
10-18-2006, 05:18 AM
for really rare stuff, i like emule. In the past i've gone onto several torrent sites and newsgroups and couldnt find what i was looking for. I knew that amongst the masses, someone must have it. And indeed there were. On emule and 9 people sharing it. a simple search is all it took too instead of site hopping. I only use it as a last resort though as its slow.

But how could you find true non-fake non-mislabelled non-infected files in eMule?
Do you simply use the search provided by eMule? Reliable? Can search for the whole network?
Where's the best places to spot these ed2k links?

bootsum
10-18-2006, 05:22 AM

Hmm... This is a torrent search engine.

How do you compare between an online search site like http://torrent-finder.com/ and an installed search engine like Torrent Harvester?

thewizeard
10-18-2006, 10:11 AM
for older stuff Opennap and Soulseek... :)

delimare
10-18-2006, 11:04 AM

How do you compare between an online search site like http://torrent-finder.com/ and an installed search engine like Torrent Harvester?

It looks like the 2 are somewhat similar in what they search. Torrent Harvester isn't a site but rather a 3rd party app while the other one is web based. But duhhh, we all knew that :) . Anyway, torrent harvester searches over 171 different sites atm and it looks like torrent-finder searches around 152 (with or without private trackers? :huh: ). I was unaware of this torrent-finder site, looks good.

bootsum
10-18-2006, 08:05 PM

It looks like the 2 are somewhat similar in what they search. Torrent Harvester isn't a site but rather a 3rd party app while the other one is web based. But duhhh, we all knew that :) . Anyway, torrent harvester searches over 171 different sites atm and it looks like torrent-finder searches around 152 (with or without private trackers? :huh: ). I was unaware of this torrent-finder site, looks good.

I think so.

The bad about Torrent Finder is you need to go one after one for the search result. It simply gather all sites together, so you need to look for the search result returned by each site.

Regarding Torrent Harvester, it appears it is much better to view the search results since it is summarised.

Have you ever heard this product called Torrent Searcher (http://www.torrent-searcher.com/)?

TiME`
10-19-2006, 08:00 PM
well, the best way to dl old files is emule, but on some torrent sites like finbytes, there r also some rare old uniques.

bootsum
10-19-2006, 09:12 PM
well, the best way to dl old files is emule, ...

Should I use the search provided by eMule?
Reliable? What networks/servers does it search?
What serverlist do you use?

but on some torrent sites like finbytes, there r also some rare old uniques.

This is a private tracker, which means it is next to impossible to get a registered account. :(

Shadowfire
10-21-2006, 01:11 AM
If you want new and old music you should check out soulseek. It has a lot of users, and tons over tons of content

I agree. Soulseek has a lot of rare stuff with music, especially mp3s. I think the variety comes with the fact that you really don't do much in order to upload, unlike torrents.

nanotek
10-21-2006, 06:23 AM
Should I use the search provided by eMule?
Reliable? What networks/servers does it search?
What serverlist do you use?

but on some torrent sites like finbytes, there r also some rare old uniques.

This is a private tracker, which means it is next to impossible to get a registered account. :(

there is a sticky here somewhere with ed2k link sites and yes u can use the search function in emule, it is rather reliable especially when u search for films
ripped by scene crews

bootsum
10-21-2006, 05:49 PM

I agree. Soulseek has a lot of rare stuff with music, especially mp3s. I think the variety comes with the fact that you really don't do much in order to upload, unlike torrents.

What type of music are on in Soulseek?
What language of the music - English? German? French? Italian? Japanese? Chinese? Korean? Arabic? Or all of them?

bootsum
10-21-2006, 05:53 PM
there is a sticky here somewhere with ed2k link sites and yes u can use the search function in emule, it is rather reliable especially when u search for films
ripped by scene crews

But I don't think I can instruct eMule to search only verified ed2k link sites.

Is there any search site which search only verified link sites?

Shadowfire
10-22-2006, 02:54 AM

What type of music are on in Soulseek?
What language of the music - English? German? French? Italian? Japanese? Chinese? Korean? Arabic? Or all of them?

So far, I've only searched for English stuff, since I can't type Chinese or any other languages. I've gotten returns on almost everything I searched for: rap, rock, classical, mainstream, etc.

peat moss
10-22-2006, 05:12 PM

Thanks.

Its funny I uninstalled E-mule because I thought its for older programs , too slow etc. Now after reading a post about older anti-spyware programs I can't seem find it on Bt . :lol: Guess I'll have to install the mule again . :frusty:

Reno365
12-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Soulseek's good if you browse the chatrooms or buddy up with people with similar tastes - I wouldn't have found half the stuff I've got if it wasn't for people recommending their files to me...

Reno

kayvanblue
12-31-2006, 11:18 PM
i wish i knew some russian guy here..or at least i knew thier language i heard they have a lot of rare stuffs in thier trackers

TYPE R
01-01-2007, 03:59 AM
the best is 4 old stuf Newsgroups

01-02-2007, 02:23 AM
emule and fastrak is good for rare stuff. If your looking to buy old software, you can go down to compusa as they have bins full of old rare gems. I'm a minimalist myself and running a modified version of windows 2000 and find that the old proggys suit my needs.

r9batista
01-02-2007, 06:59 AM
I like emule, I find there what I want

Fulanito
01-02-2007, 08:32 AM
emule should do the trick

SWOS
01-02-2007, 09:02 AM
emule if you can handle the wait
Newsgroups can be good as well as long as someone uploads it...

MrEhRz
01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
I used to use private tracker underground-gamer to get old games from various platform, this is a very nice place to search for abandon games
Another place to search for a rare stuff is at thevault and theplace, contains rare business resource and nice rare life resources stuffs

Artakserksis
01-10-2007, 07:39 PM
For rare music search in soulseek, I think it's the best p2p program for rare tracks.

Eny-
01-17-2007, 06:56 PM
eMule for small files, BT for the rest :)

ExtraSharp
01-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Soulseek is definatly the place to go for difficult-to find music.

andreqm
01-23-2007, 11:17 PM
emule definitly ;)
well, all kind of p2p...

ckyduff
01-24-2007, 02:31 AM
Yup, it's emule ftw for rare files!

thewizeard
01-26-2007, 01:05 AM
This list will show you a source of old and new files. Well they wont actually, what that list will show you, is the networks and servers where you can find them......

http://gotnap.com/index.php?loc=list

.. they are what is over from the old napster networks... many of the filesharers have been sharing there for.. "donkey's" years and have enormous share folders... I know, as I run such a network...also Soulseek is worth checking out..

erm :) if you are inquisitive my network is the Mensap2p network in the list ....

weenden
02-08-2007, 10:52 PM
yes i like winmx i can get almost all stuff new and old

fulu
02-10-2007, 11:10 AM
underground-gamer for old games and soulseek for rare music

donnied
02-10-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm just starting out on soulseek. Seems super slow so far. Maybe i'll have more success after my noob period wears off and i find some other users on their with similar interests and such.

Sounds like i should give emule a look. I never had too much luck finding stuff with edonkey, but maybe it was new back then.

-DonnieD

popopot
02-13-2007, 12:27 PM
DC++ is good for older movies but it is slow. Music wise I get mine from AllOfMP3. You do have to pay but it is dirt cheap. However, paying is becoming more and more difficult as transaction bodies terminate their association with the website.

Finn_1337
02-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Pay?... pay what? money? explain....

vali
02-14-2007, 06:47 AM
The Flea Market.

Liran3331
02-14-2007, 09:48 AM
I think you can find some old stuff in eMule
alot of people download old movies and games from emule.. try it

bootsum
04-23-2007, 04:52 AM
Pay?... pay what? money? explain....

Yes, pay money.

RXP
04-23-2007, 06:04 AM
ed2k. Best rare thing, very slow though. But that's the nature of the system.

Skengeboy
04-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Get membership in some good RAR-hubs on DC and that is the best way to get hold of old things, movies, games, mp3 etc.

frankie97
04-23-2007, 11:30 AM
usually if you're a member of a pretty decent private site.. you can posts requests and eventually someone will have it..
but if that fails.. i rely on demonoid, mininova, and torrentspy
and if that fails..it's off to the goodwill or salvation army

bootsum
04-24-2007, 03:57 AM
Get membership in some good RAR-hubs on DC and that is the best way to get hold of old things, movies, games, mp3 etc.

What are good RAR-hubs?
Please elaborate.

susana
05-01-2007, 11:20 AM
i am looking for some noob guide to use emule ,edonkey .... never used it before !

Saroman
05-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Seriosly man...!! all torrent trackers have only latest stuff..:(

AIO
05-15-2007, 07:32 AM
I have to say that I can find damn near anything on private music sites with no problems.

newsgrps for newer stuff

and well, I don't mess with the rest of it...too much bs out there.

nipple
05-15-2007, 02:42 PM
For old files EMULE is best.

GoldStoNe
01-24-2008, 08:22 AM
try cinematik for difficult to find movies.
you can also find rare stuffs in most high-level trackers..

burtz
01-24-2008, 04:57 PM
eMule always works for me when looking for older stuff. :)

ClodiuS
01-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Emule or anyother filesharing tool.

Ivanov
01-27-2008, 11:11 AM
The best place for rare stuff is eMule :)

Synaptic
01-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Definitely Emule.
I had some luck with google too when I was looking for some rare ebook. But it's a long process to find the right search.

BEGINER
01-28-2008, 03:25 PM
One more vote for emule

sscape
01-28-2008, 05:45 PM
+1 for emule

sscape
01-28-2008, 05:45 PM
+1 for emule

sscape
01-28-2008, 05:47 PM
+1 for emule

sscape
01-28-2008, 05:47 PM
+1 for emule

$SnoopDo2G$
01-29-2008, 04:50 PM
-1 For Emule
+ 1 for RS and HTTP, FTP dl, and other sites like RS...

typeoholic
01-31-2008, 06:24 PM
I have installed PeerGuardian. Is that enough to find the true quality files?

I hope you really don't assume that that POS is going to protect you?

bungeemirth
02-01-2008, 08:58 PM
another one for emule, the downloading speed is slow, and most of the time it took days to download big files,BUT they do have some good stuff there

absonic
02-01-2008, 09:55 PM

Thanks.

well, from my personal experience i can recommend emule...
but also - rapidshare is a great source of files... if you know where and how to search - it has it all!...

alfry1010
02-04-2008, 12:00 PM
the system of BT is more efficience for new stuff but some tracker have a system of bonus point or Karma to help people to seed the old stuff... but emule seems to be the best anyway but beware of the fake.