PDA

View Full Version : Do you know a way to help someone?

leonidas
10-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Do you know of a way of helping people? It 's a serious question.

MagicNakor
10-16-2006, 03:18 AM
That would depend entirely on what they need help with.

:shuriken:

Seedler
10-16-2006, 04:48 AM
Of course.

In more than one way:yup:

leonidas
10-16-2006, 06:57 AM
yes but it seems noone needs help from others nowadays. It seems you can only give money, and that the people themselves are the only able to help themselves.

Barbarossa
10-16-2006, 09:09 AM
You can help me...

...by giving me money :smilie4:

JPaul
10-16-2006, 09:34 AM
www.worldvision.org

Skweeky
10-16-2006, 01:07 PM
I would just pick one or two charities you want to give money to.

There's only so much you can do and you can't give money to everyone.

I give some money every month to WSAP, which is a charity for animals.
I've not decided on the second one yet, I'm kinda hovering between Shelter and Sponsor a child ( good site JP btw , ta for that).
I also put my change in the buckets in supermarkets and shops etc...

It's not much but if everyone does the same there'll be plenty I suppose :)

I can't remember who it was here, but I believe one of the members used to make packages with food, a bible, some chocolate etc and give them out to homeless people.

Or you can volunteer in a charity shop, that's pretty good fun as well actually.

Give away clothes you don't wear anymore etc etc

Barbarossa
10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
I can't remember who it was here, but I believe one of the members used to make packages with food, a bible, some chocolate etc and give them out to homeless people.

I think that was funky capricorn :unsure:

JPaul
10-16-2006, 01:34 PM
I think Skweeky's right. I support Worldvision, Oxfam and Unicef via direct debits. You forget about it once it's done and just take it as being part of the normal expenditure. So you never realy think of having the money. Oh and if you sign the forms they get the tax back as well.

I also try to support charities for stuff I would spend anyway. e.g. this years Chistmas cards are from CHAS (Childrens Hospice Appeal Scotland). I've got them there the last cople of years, a chap in the work makes an order.

You can actually help quite a lot without making grand gestures. Everyone doing a little can add up.

You will see from above that I personlly like to support childy type charities, probly coz I've got about a brazillion of my own.

Skweeky
10-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Absolutely

And you can spend some more money on things you like by buying it from a specific organisation.
My boyfriend really likes coffee, so we spend some more money on buying fair trade Oxfam brand. There's loads of little things you can do and you don't really miss the money.
Even buying the little pins or ribbons for the breast cancer campaigns.

You can do things at work as well.

We have two dress down days a month, everyone gives a pound for that so that's quite a bit of money to give away every month.
You can do sponsored walks/runs if you're into sports,...

There's so soooo much you can do without being out of pocket!

JPaul
10-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Our tuck shop profits go to CHAS as well, the guys can normally send well in excess of a grand a year. That's from crisps and sweeties people would be buying anyway.

Our gaffers are good about it, they let us go in companyy time to buy the stuff from the cash and carry. They know it's for a good cause, good for morale and good PR as we mention them when sending the cheques.

Everyone's a winner baby, that's the truth.

Skweeky
10-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Just had a look at the Oxfam website and signed up for a direct debit.

Great idea bringing this up legolas!

JPaul
10-16-2006, 02:16 PM

Top Lass :01:

Gripper
10-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Not having much money I do stuff like holding doors open for people,letting someone go in front of you in the line if they've got a basket and I've got a trolley load of stuff.
Throw money in charity box's,its not a lot but it makes me feel better.
Helped a blind lady get past some bollards at the local shops the other day,that made me feel good. :)

JPaul
10-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Just generally being a decent spud.

Good plan.

Skweeky
10-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Exactly.

The only reason I have direct debits set up now is because I have some more disposable income than before.

I just used to put the pennies I had in my purse in the charity box in the supermarkets. If everyone gives what they can afford, then that's plenty

JPaul
10-16-2006, 05:02 PM
:sage:

Skweeky
10-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Can you send some over?

I think it would go well with the red cabbage i'm making

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Why aren't you using a proper green cabbage.

With potatoes and swede.

That would make a very attractive combination.

Snee
10-17-2006, 05:08 PM

legolas? :unsure: :dabs:

I just give spare change to hobos when the mood takes me.

manker
10-17-2006, 05:09 PM

legolas? :unsure: :dabs:

I just give spare change to hobos when the mood takes me.
I read the thread starter's name as 'legolas' too - I wondered what you were on about. Weird.

Btw, I also give my spare change to hobbes when the mood takes me.