PDA

View Full Version : Room Thermostats

Barbarossa
10-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know 'owt about Room Thermostats? :blink:

My house has got one of those old electromechanical ones, and this year it seems to be less than enthusiastic in terms of automatically switching from an off state to an on state, and vice versa.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a new-fangled digital one, with a programmable timer etc. :01:

Is this easy? Is there anything that I need to worry about?

If it all goes tits-up, should I call an electrician, or a heating engineer :unsure:

Gripper
10-16-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't know how to do it,but check this out (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/he_heating_cooling_systems/article/0,2037,DIY_13894_2274831,00.html) seems quite comprehensive. :)

JPaul
10-16-2006, 04:07 PM
manker can tell Tesco to do it for you, now he's his boss.

Busyman™
10-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Does anyone know 'owt about Room Thermostats? :blink:

My house has got one of those old electromechanical ones, and this year it seems to be less than enthusiastic in terms of automatically switching from an off state to an on state, and vice versa.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a new-fangled digital one, with a programmable timer etc. :01:

Is this easy? Is there anything that I need to worry about?

If it all goes tits-up, should I call an electrician, or a heating engineer :unsure:

Thermostats are easy as hell to change.

Over here, we've got Rc, Rh, W, Y, and G connectors.

Turn off the circuit breaker to your furnace.

Unscrew the old stat cover.

Pay close attention to what the connectors are currently on (W, Y, etc., mark them if you can))

Unscrew the rest of the stat and the connectors.

Attach the new stat backing to the wall (use drywall anchors if needed)

Screw the stripped bit of wire to the appropriate connectors (remember where they were before)

If you only have a 4-wire connector, strap the Rc and Rh together.

Attach the front of the stat.

Add batteries.

Done.

It takes about 15 minutes.

If you get a digital one and don't have light nearby there are many digital stats with inexpensive Indiglo light.

Try to get one with a programmable 5 day + 1 + 1 so your workweek will be covered and then the weekend.

You should save a decent amount on heating and electric bills.

lynx
10-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Check how many wires go to the existing thermostat.

Most of the old mechanical ones only have 2 wires, because they are just a simple switch. If that's the case replacing it with a digital controller will require a complete rewire of the control system. You have to supply operating power and control circuits so it could work out quite expensive.

The alternative would be one which operates via radio signals and powered by batteries.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RADIO-FREQUENCY-ROOM-THERMOSTAT-PROGRAMMER-NO-WIRES_W0QQitemZ200036904018QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3191QQcmdZViewItem

The cost goes up if you want a full control system.
http://www.syxthsense.co.uk/ecommerce2/searchd.php?categoryID=5&subcategoryID=78

Busyman™
10-16-2006, 11:57 PM

Most of the old mechanical ones only have 2 wires, because they are just a simple switch. If that's the case replacing it with a digital controller will require a complete rewire of the control system. You have to supply operating power and control circuits so it could work out quite expensive.

The alternative would be one which operates via radio signals and powered by batteries.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RADIO-FREQUENCY-ROOM-THERMOSTAT-PROGRAMMER-NO-WIRES_W0QQitemZ200036904018QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3191QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.syxthsense.co.uk/ecommerce2/searchd.php?categoryID=5&subcategoryID=78

You don't need a complete rewire with a 2-wire system (or is that just the UK?).

In that case you just wire Rh and W for heat only. My example was for a heat/cool thermostat.

There are other things to consider like the type of system you have (like whether you have a heat pump).

For something like a thermostat, I'd run the wire instead relying on wireless. It's as easy as running telephone wire....in fact my thermostat was run with 4-pair telephone wire.:blink: I guess it works out fine since telephone uses 48 volts (ring current is higher) and the stat uses 24.:ermm:

lynx
10-17-2006, 02:06 AM
I meant you need a rewire if you want to convert from a simple 2-wire system to a full digital control box, which is what Barbie was asking about. :rolleyes:

Busyman™
10-17-2006, 02:36 AM
I meant you need a rewire if you want to convert from a simple 2-wire system to a full digital control box, which is what Barbie was asking about. :rolleyes:

Eh? I have a "full digital control box" and it cost all of $19 at Lowes.:ermm: Plus he mentioned nothing of conversion from 2-wire. He won't know 'till he takes the stat off (or if he has heat only).

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/049694/049694441102md.jpg

That and the cost of running a 6-pair (or 4-pair) wire to your furnace.

It has to do with whether his old thermostat controlled heat only and heat and cooling. He could still have a digital stat controlling heat only.

This is something like what came with the house...

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000H7MDQA.01-A1SV1BYDTUK2Z5._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62233089_.jpg...but it was an ugly brass color.

I took that old shit off and put the digital on. A simple switch.

Before I sell my house, I'll put one of those really nice ones up with the big screen.:dabs:

GepperRankins
10-17-2006, 06:56 AM
ALL I KNOW IS NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TOUCH THEM

lol sorry caps . can't be arsed to retype that line

Barbarossa
10-17-2006, 09:06 AM

You're right. There's 3 wires going into it, L, S/L, and N (or is it an earth? :blink:), but on looking at the specs for the boiler, the L wire is only Live when the timer switch is set to ON.

Therefore, I'm thinking of getting this one:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOSTAT7.html

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6141/hostat7wa5.jpg

It says easy to install, no extra wiring required, because the timer functions are powered by 3 AA batteries.

It's not as stylish as some of the others, but I think I'd like to keep it simple, I can't be arsed with fecking about with new wiring.

Thanks for the advice, lynx, gripper, busy, and The ;)

Busyman™
10-17-2006, 10:54 AM

You're right. There's 3 wires going into it, L, S/L, and N (or is it an earth? :blink:), but on looking at the specs for the boiler, the L wire is only Live when the timer switch is set to ON.

Therefore, I'm thinking of getting this one:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOSTAT7.html

It says easy to install, no extra wiring required, because the timer functions are powered by 3 AA batteries.

It's not as stylish as some of the others, but I think I'd like to keep it simple, I can't be arsed with fecking about with new wiring.

Thanks for the advice, lynx, gripper, busy, and The ;)

Sweet. Are most systems over there 3-wire?

Oh and remember to turn off the fucking circuit breaker!:angry:

I was just reading that some o yer systems have 240v.

manker
10-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Digital thermostats confuse me. The one we used to have had two little red indicators (for on) and two little blue indicators (for off) on a dial with 24hr clock markings.

The new (I say new, I've had it 4 years now) thing has loads of buttons which do nothing when you press them.

Nowadays, I leave the heating on constant when it gets a bit chilly.

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Digital thermostats confuse me. The one we used to have had two little red indicators (for on) and two little blue indicators (for off) on a dial with 24hr clock markings.

The new (I say new, I've had it 4 years now) thing has loads of buttons which do nothing when you press them.

Thanks for sharing.

Would you mind if I use that story for after dinner speaking.

manker
10-17-2006, 11:11 AM

Thanks for sharing.

Would you mind if I use that story for after dinner speaking.
Use it as your own, whenever and wherever folk need kip.

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Did my last come across as a bit harsh. If so I can only apologise unreservedly.

Barbarossa
10-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Sweet. Are most systems over there 3-wire?

I guess so. We have an Earth wire going to most things for some reason :idunno:

Oh and remember to turn off the fucking circuit breaker!:angry:

Well that's the thing, I don't really know which circuit it's on :blushing:

Looking at the installation manual for the boiler, I'm assuming that if the timer-switch is OFF, then there is no power to the thermostat circuit :unsure:

Unfortunately, there's only 1 way to test this theory... :fear:

Unless I turn all the power off. :no:

I was just reading that some o yer systems have 240v.

Yeah, most of them I think :blink:

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:18 AM
I would have thought that your boiler would be on it's own circuit.

Unless it's gas.

manker
10-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Did my last come across as a bit harsh. If so I can only apologise unreservedly.
Not at all, old stick.

Certainly not compared with the tattering you gave to t'geordie workshy wastrel yesterday.

I almost felt bad for him, I spoke with him on msn later that day and tried to make amends, in your stead, with general chit-chat.

It makes his day, you know.

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Not at all, old stick.

Certainly not compared with the tattering you gave to t'geordie workshy wastrel yesterday.

I almost felt bad for him, I spoke with him on msn later that day and tried to make amends, in your stead, with general chit-chat.

When was this, I have no recollection of being harsh to anyone. Wastrel or otherwise.

manker
10-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Not at all, old stick.

When was this, I have no recollection of being harsh to anyone. Wastrel or otherwise.I know you don't, I know.

It really is fine. I'll merely continue sweeping up the human wreckage you leave in your malevolent wake.

It's what I do http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/9500/superman4ki.gif

Barbarossa
10-17-2006, 11:26 AM

Unless it's gas.

Yes.

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:31 AM
When was this, I have no recollection of being harsh to anyone. Wastrel or otherwise.I know you don't, I know.

It really is fine. I'll merely continue sweeping up the human wreckage you leave in your malevolent wake.

If they ever find out that I just destroy them emotionally so you can step in and groom them we're in deep shit mate.

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:32 AM

Unless it's gas.

Yes.

Well that's it, problem solved.

Always happy to help.

manker
10-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Barbie, stop nicking JP's commas.

Barbarossa
10-17-2006, 11:38 AM

Righto. Anyone wants any commas back, come and get them from here. :sigh:

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Barbie, stop nicking JP's commas.

I was deliberately making it grammatically ambivalent, so as to leave room for doubt and a reasonable defence.

I actually did make a conscious decision to post it sans comma. I have no idea why, a wee bit of me just said "post that comma free". Weird.

manker
10-17-2006, 11:40 AM
I know you don't, I know.

If they ever find out that I just destroy them emotionally so you can step in and groom them we're in deep shit mate.How could they.

For that to happen, someone would have had to follow our conversation thus far.

To be brutally honest, there's more chance of Peabody starting gainful employment before t'dawn of the next millennium.

Barbarossa
10-17-2006, 11:42 AM
2 ns in millennium welshboi, like your stadium. :no2:

[see how much more sense it would make if you type it as n's]

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:43 AM
If they ever find out that I just destroy them emotionally so you can step in and groom them we're in deep shit mate.How could they.

I like to think that people actually sit and read them as they take place.

Either that or they come home from school / work / hanging about street corners all aglow, looking forward to reading them.

I'm sure there's a torrent site where people can download whole conversations, to read at their leisure and share with mates.

manker
10-17-2006, 11:43 AM
I know :huh:

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:45 AM

Or use inversted commas.

No wait, you're having enough bother with commas without inverting them.

Barbarossa
10-17-2006, 11:47 AM
If I scatter some inversted ones about will they cancel out the superfluous normal ones? :blink:

manker
10-17-2006, 11:48 AM
How could they.

Either that or they come home from school / work / hanging about street corners all aglow, looking forward to reading them.

I'm sure there's a torrent site where people can download whole conversations, to read at their leisure and share with mates.I think of them more as watching on with obvious amusement but with little gravitas attached to that.

Kind of like a Jack Russell terrier watching a game of football.

Sure, Fido likes seeing the ball go back and forth, but he has no earthly idea of the artistry involved - let alone the score.

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:49 AM
If I scatter some inversted ones about will they cancel out the superfluous normal ones? :blink:

That very much depends on what "inversted" means, "n-boi".

Barbarossa
10-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Sure, BaWa likes seeing the ball go back and forth, but he has no earthly idea of the artistry involved - let alone the score.

Fixed.

JPaul

I'm sure there's a torrent site where people can download whole conversations, to read at their leisure and share with mates.I think of them more as watching on with obvious amusement but with little gravitas attached to that.

Kind of like a Jack Russell terrier watching a game of football.

Sure, Fido likes seeing the ball go back and forth, but he has no earthly idea of the artistry involved - let alone the score.

:glag::earl::sage:

Barbarossa

You tell me sherlock, you started it :dry:

Or use inversted commas.

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:51 AM
What kind of idiot calls a Jack Russell "Fido".

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:52 AM

You tell me sherlock, you started it :dry:

Or use inversted commas.

:busyrod:

Barbarossa
10-17-2006, 11:54 AM
The keen-eyed amongst you will spot that having fallen foul of a manker busy-edit, I wasn't about to do the same with JPaul :smilie4:

JPaul
10-17-2006, 11:56 AM
The keen-eyed amongst you will spot that having fallen foul of a manker busy-edit, I wasn't about to do the same with JPaul :smilie4:

I wouldn't resort to such cheap Peabodyesque tactics. :snooty:

manker
10-17-2006, 11:57 AM
What kind of idiot calls a Jack Russell "Fido".I had to think quickly of a dog's name that couldn't possibly be a person's name (so as not to confuse the hard of thinking).

It was either 'Fido' or 'Rover'.

Via the gift of hindsight, I think I chose wisely.

manker
10-17-2006, 12:00 PM
The keen-eyed amongst you will spot that having fallen foul of a manker busy-edit, I wasn't about to do the same with JPaul :smilie4:You cad.

There is no edit watermark on my 'millennium' post - how could it possibly be a busyrod :(

JPaul
10-17-2006, 12:00 PM
What kind of idiot calls a Jack Russell "Fido".Me

Fixed.

manker
10-17-2006, 12:01 PM
:lol: :(

Barbarossa
10-19-2006, 11:05 AM

Installed it in about 10 minutes :happy:

No rewiring required. Didn't even have to drill any new holes :)

manker
10-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Ffs, now look what you've done.

I worked long and hard trying to stop this thread from being as boring as feckery.

Barbarossa
10-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah, and you did a mighty fine job, but I felt that the initial story needed some sort of finalisation.

I know Lynx for one was waiting on tenterhooks.

Gripper
10-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Need to see picture type proofery,anyone can say "fitted in 10 mins" ffs:dry:

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 04:32 PM

I didn't know what you guys were talking about so I was bored as feckery.
Fixed

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 04:33 PM

It really is a simple hookup, Gripster.

Barbarossa
10-19-2006, 04:33 PM

Well, imagine that picture, but with my hallway as the background :dabs:

manker
10-19-2006, 11:54 PM

I didn't know what you guys were talking about so I was bored as feckery.
Fixed
I really, really wish you could understand it.

It's like as if I've a younger brother that I was trying to make realise that he didn't always have to be a twat -- maybe one day he could understand what we we on about.

Sadly, it's never gonna happen :(

Busyman™
10-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Fixed
I really, really wish you could understand it.

It's like as if I've a younger brother that I was trying to make realise that he didn't always have to be a twat -- maybe one day he could understand what we we on about.

Sadly, it's never gonna happen :(

I do know what ya'll ya'll on about, big step-brother from another mother.

manker
10-20-2006, 08:37 AM
'we we on about' :unsure: :ermm:

Busyman™
10-20-2006, 01:55 PM
'we we on about' :unsure: :ermm:

:glag: