PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7 Released!

Hairbautt
10-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Internet Explorer 7 Final Released Today (http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35665)
Posted by Tom Warren (http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35665#) on Neowin.Net 18 October 2006 - 12:24 · 129 comments (http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35665), 9225 views (http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35665) & 129 trackbacks (http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=tb_main&id=35665)

http://www.neowin.net/images/news/logos/ms_ie7.gif
Microsoft (http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35665#) will release the final build of IE7 today to customers, with the company expected to push the build by automatic updates on 1st November.

At the moment there is no link on Microsoft.com, but Yahoo has the final build bundled with Yahoo Mail. All you need to do is download the Yahoo edition and use WinRAR to extract the files and run IE7-Setup.exe (click for diagram (http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2772/ie7vq0.jpg)).

Update: Thanks phantasmorph for adding these links in comments.

Full English Links @ Microsoft;

Windows XP SP2 Edition (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74211)
Windows Server 2003 32-bit Edition (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74212)
Windows XP & Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74213)
Windows Server 2003 ia64 Edition (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74214)

Links courtesy of the Belgian MS site listed above. Just posted them here for simplicity. Also, the digital signatures for the Windows XP SP2 edition I just linked and the version downloaded from Yahoo are the same.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Cool, I'm excited. ;) Seems to load faster than RC1 Build too.

:source: Source: http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35665

S!X
10-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Nice, cant wait to try this!!

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 12:06 AM
I already had RC1 and I don't notice any difference which is fine.

famous45
10-19-2006, 12:38 AM
I tried RC1 and noticed that all the cookies were in an Index.dat file. I used to be able to selectively delete certain cookies in IE6 but in IE7 have no idea how to. Any ideas?

peat moss
10-19-2006, 01:26 AM
Lucky #7 eh . I might try it just to see what I'm missing , in Software one should have an open mind .

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 02:08 AM
Lucky #7 eh . I might try it just to see what I'm missing , in Software one should have an open mind .

I haven't had a problem....yet.

Hairbautt
10-19-2006, 02:19 AM
Yeah here's more from CNet in video form:
http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6127345.html?part=rss&tag=6127345&subj=news

peat moss
10-19-2006, 02:56 AM

I haven't had a problem....yet.

I did n't mean you , I just never liked IE myself I was using Netscape 3 instead of EI in the old forgoten days ,just meant I'd try it .

I apologize Busy , I keep hitting the edit button when I mean to quote . Forgot about the mod option . :(

Skiz
10-19-2006, 02:56 AM
Is there any way to turn off the tabbed browsing? Is it an option to resume utilizing the standard way?

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 03:14 AM
Is there any way to turn off the tabbed browsing? Is it an option to resume utilizing the standard way?

Tools/Internet Options/General/Tabs-Settings

I can't for the life of me understand why'd you'd rather NOT have tabs.:blink:

The difference is whether you click up top or on the bottom, I guess.

However, if you have other programs open, they'd clog up the bottom of your screen along with all the numerous IE windows you have open.

The tabs seem closer to where my cursor is in most case where as I'd have to go farther to click the bottom of the screen. With that I am more apt to leave more tabs open due to convenience.

Tabs are also easier to close. Just click the X on the tab versus right-clicking a window at the bottom then clicking Close.

You are a conundrum.

Skiz
10-19-2006, 03:31 AM
When it comes to computers, I'm a minimalist. The fewer things I have to look at other than the page in front of me, the better.

I have my taskbar on auto-hide and I have for years. No reason to change it now.

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 03:54 AM
When it comes to computers, I'm a minimalist. The fewer things I have to look at other than the page in front of me, the better.

I have my taskbar on auto-hide and I have for years. No reason to change it now.

Try this (this is what I do). Surf in full-screen mode.

When I surf, the only thing I see is the web page until I go all the way up. Then the tabs drop down.

That's as minimalist as you can get....just the web page.

Skiz
10-19-2006, 04:24 AM
Not a fan already. :frusty:

Can't move the menu in the toolbar to the top. Even on the M$ RC1 webpage, it stated that this was something a lot of users wanted to change. People wanted to be able to drag the menu/buttons/sections around the toolbar, but they didn't enable this feature in the final release. At least with RC1 there was a registry fix. :dry:

How fucked up does that menu look sitting in the middle like that? :wacko:

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 04:48 AM
Not a fan already. :frusty:

Can't move the menu in the toolbar to the top. Even on the M$ RC1 webpage, it stated that this was something a lot of users wanted to change. People wanted to be able to drag the menu/buttons/sections around the toolbar, but they didn't enable this feature in the final release. At least with RC1 there was a registry fix. :dry:

How fucked up does that menu look sitting in the middle like that? :wacko:

Yeah I noticed that. You can't move the address/search bar or the File/Edit/View etc bar.

However, I have the File/Edit bar turned off (the command bar pretty much does the same thing) and don't mind the address bar at the top.

I have

Address bar/Search
Links
Tabs with home/fullscreen/print/tools (command bar) on the right

I don't see any of this unless I move to the top however.

S!X
10-19-2006, 04:55 AM
I find that this thing uses just as much ram as FF does :(

backlash
10-19-2006, 11:57 AM
you have to have SP2 to install this? wtf. Guess I'm not installing it. bah.

Hairbautt
10-19-2006, 12:34 PM
What's bad about SP2? And didn't support for SP1 end this October?:unsure:

Adster
10-19-2006, 12:54 PM
ok so how the fuck do you get around the WGA??

I have downloaded so manly patches of WGA and now I need another god dam one? I cant turn it off in internet options so I cant install this lol

backlash
10-19-2006, 01:33 PM
What's bad about SP2? And didn't support for SP1 end this October?:unsure:

I just don't like it. I hate the way it changes my windows logo to just windows XP (no professional) and I don't like the way it gives me extra steps to open files - now it's run, save and another do you want to open this file. bah. YES, I wanna open the damn file!! ;)

4play
10-19-2006, 02:24 PM
so what your saying is that your not installing critical system updates because you don't like the fact it only says xp rather than the full pro , also the added security features suck because they make you press an extra button.

Microsoft really have an uphill struggle with getting vista locked down if you represent the average user.

in other news they have found the first vulnerability already
http://secunia.com/advisories/22477/

gamer4eva
10-19-2006, 02:47 PM
People is it something worth installing?

Skiz
10-19-2006, 02:59 PM

imo, no. I already did and already rolled back.

Read the thread for pros/cons.

Adster
10-19-2006, 03:04 PM
I cant even install it

I tried the updated version now instead of the validation crap

and I click the update exe and it has a bitch

setup cannot copy the file spuninst.exe

why is it so hard now to install pirated software lol

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 03:08 PM

If you are satisfied with FF or Opera then no.

I was using Opera till it started fucking up. I like FF but it fucked up too much.

IE has been simply stable.

I'd definitely recommend IE7 over IE6, however. It is simply better.

Skizo doesn't realize that he has weird requirements that the average user doesn't share.

He's probably the less than 1% that doesn't like tabs (even though you can turn it off in IE7).

Skiz
10-19-2006, 03:20 PM

I was using Opera till it started fucking up. I like FF but it fucked up too much.

Skizo doesn't realize that he has weird requirements that the average user doesn't share.

He's probably the less than 1% that doesn't like tabs (even though you can turn it off in IE7).

Oh c'mon.....

I don't know anyone in my personal life that prefers tabs. The only people I hear of that are into them are always on the net. 1% is drastic bro. And it's usually those annoying FF sheep that whack-off to their browser.

I mean really, who gives a fuck. Some like tabs, some don't....whoopidy-doo. :wank:

mr. nails
10-19-2006, 03:23 PM
i still haven't went official yet, but have been using ie7rc1 since it came out. the betas were awful imo. ff2rc3 is still my default, but certain things ff can't do correctly so then i do use ie7. as for opera. i just don't like it. ie7 is simply better than that of ie6 so why not update? it's worth it.

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 04:14 PM

Oh c'mon.....

I don't know anyone in my personal life that prefers tabs. The only people I hear of that are into them are always on the net. 1% is drastic bro. And it's usually those annoying FF sheep that whack-off to their browser.

I mean really, who gives a fuck. Some like tabs, some don't....whoopidy-doo. :wank:

Mmk then. Let me rephrase. The average that has tried tabbed browsing prefers it. Other folks don't even know about it.

I can't be painted as a FF sheep. However, if the browser didn't fuck up so much, I'd be using it. The extensions make it better.

All I was saying was that since you don't represent the average joe user on this here net, I'd take your recommendation on installation with a grain of salt.

If he has FF running nice and stable, I don't see the harm in trying IE7 but I can't imagine a switch.

Btw, do you surf in full screen mode (since you like screen real estate)?

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 04:27 PM
i still haven't went official yet, but have been using ie7rc1 since it came out. the betas were awful imo. ff2rc3 is still my default, but certain things ff can't do correctly so then i do use ie7. as for opera. i just don't like it. ie7 is simply better than that of ie6 so why not update? it's worth it.

Weird I thought beta 1 was fucking horrible and offered nothing and uninstalled it.

Beta 2 was great and kept it.

Beta 3 crashed alot and I uninstalled it.

RC1 had a small problem with Flash that I fixed.

That's another reason I don't use FF. I don't wanna switch to IE when a page isn't rendered correctly.

Cheese
10-19-2006, 04:47 PM
I can barely contain my apathy that this has been released, I might try it out on my laptop (so I can circumvent any potential WGA issue) just so I know what it does for when I have to fix noobs computers from viruses and spyware.

I don't know anyone in my personal life that prefers tabs.

You also don't anyone in your personal life with opposable thumbs. :dabs:

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 04:59 PM
I can barely contain my apathy that this has been released, I might try it out on my laptop (so I can circumvent any potential WGA issue) just so I know what it does for when I have to fix noobs computers from viruses and spyware.

I don't know anyone in my personal life that prefers tabs.

You also don't anyone in your personal life with opposable thumbs. :dabs:

After having the beta then rc1 for awhile. I don't see it as a big deal besides the fact that I don't have install it again.

I do believe it'll be more secure although I didn't really have problem with viruses because of IE6.

Skiz
10-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Mmk then. Let me rephrase. The average that has tried tabbed browsing prefers it. Other folks don't even know about it.

I can't be painted as a FF sheep. However, if the browser didn't fuck up so much, I'd be using it. The extensions make it better.

All I was saying was that since you don't represent the average joe user on this here net, I'd take your recommendation on installation with a grain of salt.

If he has FF running nice and stable, I don't see the harm in trying IE7 but I can't imagine a switch.

Well, I don't paint you with the same brush either. You aren't on here saying OMFG!11!! FF ROXOR!!1!!! IE SUX!!1!11 *ahem* (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-how-much-does-filesharingtalkcom-make-advertising-post1510000/postcount11)

I do not surf in full screen mode. tbh, I didn't know there was a such thing unless you're referring to the F11 thing? :unsure:

Skiz
10-19-2006, 05:12 PM
You also don't know anyone in your personal life with opposable thumbs. :dabs:

Fixed.

On the contrary - They have thumbs and proper grammar. ;)

fartmonger
10-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Thanx for the tip, im using it now :)

mr. nails
10-19-2006, 05:24 PM
lol, it's my fault that ff blocks ads better than ie? if u prefer to see them that's ur business. i prefer not 2. ie isn't bad. i just prefer ff. i also like tabs. keeps taskbar more organized with 1 tab full of tabs than multiple instances. if u like to concentrate only on limited processes as u've mentioned u'd understand that.

MCHeshPants420
10-19-2006, 05:28 PM
You also don't know anyone in your personal life with opposable thumbs. :dabs:

Fixed.

Practice before you preach, nimrod.

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 05:36 PM

Well, I don't paint you with the same brush either. You aren't on here saying OMFG!11!! FF ROXOR!!1!!! IE SUX!!1!11 *ahem* (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-how-much-does-filesharingtalkcom-make-advertising-post1510000/postcount11)

I do not surf in full screen mode. tbh, I didn't know there was a such thing unless you're referring to the F11 thing? :unsure:

Yes.

Busyman™
10-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Fixed.

:glag: What a great thread!

Skiz
10-19-2006, 05:45 PM

:glag: What a great thread!

:glag:

I just noticed it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuckface. :dry:

Chewie
10-19-2006, 06:09 PM
I like to have more than one IE window open and drag links from one to the other. Surfing in tabs means I need to be more accurate where I drag links to and us older members often have trouble with both focussing and hand/eye co-ordination.
Thank fuck they made that optional.

I don't need to go all the way to the taskbar to switch IE windows - I merely click in one to bring it to the front.

I like to arrange toolbars my way and this was the biggest pain with IE7. That bloody 'control bar' thing was immovable in beta2 and plenty pf people were bitching very loudly about the fact. If M$ have decided we prefer it dangling there at the right-hand end of an empty and otherwise useless toolbar (with a non-tabbing config) then who am I to accuse them of ignoring users?

Like it or not, Microsoft are not going to llisten to anyone about how they want their browser to look or perform.
There are millions of users that only use their computer as it came out of the box and these are guaranteed loyal customers.

Hairbautt
10-19-2006, 09:51 PM
According to M$ is actually a Microsoft Outlook Express bug.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35702
;)

And it's usually those annoying FF sheep that whack-off to their browser. :wank:
:lol:

4play
10-19-2006, 10:04 PM
I cant seem to get ie7 to validate my copy of windows so im sticking with firefox.

mr. nails
10-19-2006, 10:59 PM
I cant seem to get ie7 to validate my copy of windows so im sticking with firefox.

try and find a no wga version of ie7 and u'll be good. at least i was. even if u are using a genuine copy of windows ppl do seem to have ur prob and use a cracked version for the no wga and works fine. look into if u already haven't, but then again just use ur ff instead like me. i just like to have 2 browsers to play with.

backlash
10-19-2006, 11:14 PM
so what your saying is that your not installing critical system updates because you don't like the fact it only says xp rather than the full pro , also the added security features suck because they make you press an extra button.

Microsoft really have an uphill struggle with getting vista locked down if you represent the average user.

I always had all critical updates for SP1. I'm not the only one who stayed with SP1. However, I upgraded to SP2 today and now I'm up-to-date.

BawA
10-20-2006, 08:13 AM
for thoes who couldnt install it, there is a torrent called IE7 on torrentPortal download it, its has a very easy walkthro to install IE7 final.

Internet Explorer 7 for 32bit Windows XP SP2 - Final, No WGA Needed

PLEASE READ:

1) Using an archive extraction tool - such as WinRAR (www.rarlabs.com) - right click on IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe and extract it to a folder you can remember. If you are using WinRAR, select "Extract to IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe"

2) Extract IE7RC1_WGA_Crack.zip to a folder you can remember. Ignore the "RC1" - the included files work perfectly with this FINAL edition.

3) Open the folder you extracted IE7RC1_WGA_Crack.zip to. Copy (Ctrl+C) the file named "iecustom.dll".

4) Open the folder you extracted IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe to. Navigate to the folder "update".

5) Paste the file you previously selected (iecustom.dll) and replace it with the file already in the "update" folder.

6) Still in the "update" folder, run update.exe. Close any current versions of Internet Explorer and other open applications. When asked to validate Windows, select "Next". Your Windows install will not be vaildated, but the setup will tell you it has been succesfully verified anyway.

7) Reboot when asked at the end of the installation. READ ALL THE STEPS BEFORE YOU REBOOT!

8) On reboot, a dialogue box may open stating that explorer.exe could not start because of a missing DLL. This is OK. Open the Task Manager by pushing CTRL+ALT+DEL key combination. When Windows Task Manager has opened, select File > New Task (Run...). Select "Browse" and change Files of type: to "All Files"

9) Open the folder you extracted IE7RC1_WGA_Crack.zip to. Copy (Ctrl+C) the file named "normaliz.dll".

10) With the Browse window still open, navigate to C:\Windows\System 32\ . Of course, if windows is installed on a different directory and path, select this instead.

11) Paste the file you previously selected (normaliz.dll) into the System 32 folder.

12) Close the Browse window by clicking "Cancel". With the Create New Task box still open, type "Desktop" and hit OK. If you have lost the Create New Task box, select it by pushing CTRL+ALT+DEL, opening Task Manager, and navigating to File > New Task (Run...)

13) Windows Explorer will load and IE will finalise the install. Open the folder you extracted IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe to. Navigate to the folder "update".

14) Ensure Internet Explorer 7 is closed at this time. In the "update" folder, double click on "xmllitesetup.exe" to install it.

15) When this is finished (no reboot neccesary), run Internet Explorer 7 and enjoy using it!

These are some extremely simple steps for even novice users. It's hard to go wrong! Enjoy using IE7 -- xtc.

Note: after rebooting and getting the dll missing error windows wont load and as said u must open task manager by Ctrl+alt+Del and do the rest of the steps, u can open the walkthro guide while browsing thro task manager also if u forget the remaining steps or u can just print the damn guide :lol:

Barbarossa
10-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Firefox user here, don't like tabs, so I don't use them. :happy:

What I do like about firefox is the search in the toolbar, I've got my list set up as Google, Dictionary.com, UrbanDictionary, Wikipedia, and I've made one of my own that searches GoogleImages.

Also like the IEView extension, and I used to like the ImageShack upload extension, but unfortunately that doesn't work in FireFox 2 RC3. :(

Anyway, so is IE7 any good then?

mr. nails
10-20-2006, 12:11 PM
can someone post their version of the final release for ie7 plz? i uninstalled ie7rc1 and installed ie7final, but want to know if ie7final has overwritten all files and updated to correct version. hell, also, could someone post the version for rc1 too? lol, sry i shoulda checked, but it's been a update software nite tonite. thx in advance.

Hairbautt
10-20-2006, 12:46 PM
can someone post their version of the final release for ie7 plz? i uninstalled ie7rc1 and installed ie7final, but want to know if ie7final has overwritten all files and updated to correct version. hell, also, could someone post the version for rc1 too? lol, sry i shoulda checked, but it's been a update software nite tonite. thx in advance.
Just check in Internet Explorer...goto the Help button (Alt+L) scroll to about IE. In the "Update Versions" it'll say 'RC' is it is RC Release or '0' if its final release.:happy: There some screenshots of it in the Neowin Article, just check the comments.:01:

mr. nails
10-20-2006, 07:22 PM
ok, cool. thx. final release 0. thx.

kazaaman
10-23-2006, 12:33 AM
You can configure the toolbars. I finally found a site!
http://www.tech-recipes.com/internet_explorer_ie7_tips1375.html

Busyman™
10-23-2006, 01:59 AM
You can configure the toolbars. I finally found a site!
http://www.tech-recipes.com/internet_explorer_ie7_tips1375.html

That's kinda messed up that there has to be a registry hack for such a thing.:dry:

I got rid of the menu bar. It's wasted real estate.

I have

Address Bar and Search
Links (all the way across it's 15)
Tabs and Command Bar

I have the Command Bar moved far off to the right where only one button shows.

Hairbautt
10-23-2006, 04:50 PM
I think the arrangement is fairly nice. No menu bar for me either, but I have 8 buttons to the far right (same function as the menu bar anyways); but if you forget just hit the 'alt' key to bring the menu bar backup.

I just wish you could hide the menu bar in explorer...without using styler.

100%
10-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Did the no wga.tor version, opened it, played with it a few minutes, then closed it.

Even though i use another browser, is it not wiser to upgrade ie for security reasons since it is bundled up with explorer?

Paauwe
10-23-2006, 08:31 PM
using opera for the moment, but willing to try this IE7

smalle
10-24-2006, 08:12 AM
IE7 eats memory for breakfast :/

frizshizzle
10-26-2006, 01:17 AM
yep it's twice as full as firefox by lunch. ie is too fat for it's own good.

peat moss
10-26-2006, 01:32 AM
Already has bugs ?

http://news.zdnet.com/Spoofing+bug+found+in+IE+7/2100-1009_22-6129626.html?part=netscape-zdnet&tag=mynetscape&subj=technews

I should n't laff too hard I'm sure we'll be reading about Firefox 2. bugs tomorrow .

frizshizzle
10-26-2006, 04:05 AM
this may be true: ie will always be one step ahead in bugs.

Busyman™
10-30-2006, 02:01 AM
On Wednesday, MS will autoupdate those with Win Xp to IE7 (if you have autoupdate on and a genuine copy, of course)

Hairbautt
10-30-2006, 02:34 AM
Wednesday? I thought it was the monthly "Patch Tuesday"?
------------------
Have any of you seen this Fu**** up video on M$'s IE site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/about/video/default.mspx
Tell me that's not wierd...

Busyman™
10-30-2006, 02:56 AM
Wednesday? I thought it was the monthly "Patch Tuesday"?
------------------
Have any of you seen this Fu**** up video on M$'s IE site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/about/video/default.mspx
Tell me that's not wierd...

That's pretty slick.

4play
10-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Anyone else seems microsofts version of zen garden

here (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ietechcol/cols/dnexpie/cssZenGarden.htm)

not a bad looking page apart from the scolling text looking crap in firefox and it is all valid xhtml (strict) and css. seems ie7 is definetly a step in the right direction for Microsoft.