PDA

View Full Version : Mpaa ignores usenet

4play
10-19-2006, 02:38 PM
In The MPAA Surrenders in War Against Piracy, PCMag commentator Mark Hachman takes the Motion Picture Association of America to task for the blind eye they have seemingly turned towards Usenet giant GUBA. If you aren't familiar with GUBA, they have recently partnered with major movie studios to sell downloadable films, and offer some free user-submitted content, ala YouTube. They have a program for smaller content distributors as well, with an ad-sharing model. But here is the kicker...they are also a company that stores and sells access to Usenet archives, in fact that is how they got started. Interestingly, nearly two terabytes of binary data is added everyday to Usenet, according to a recent report:

source (http://www.freshdv.com/2006/10/is-mpaa-turning-blind-eye-to-rampant.html)

{I}{K}{E}
10-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Downloading music and movies of usenet is legel in the Netherlands :D

digitrifecta
10-19-2006, 09:25 PM

Sounds like the place to be :D

I think the usenet will get left alone because if the old guys in the entertainment industry do finally remove their heads from their asses and change their bussiness models for creative content sales like movies and music, they will realize that the net is, and has been the new content delivery system for quite some time. With NSPs having some of the biggest backends on the planet, I don't think the entertainment industry will bother them any time soon :)

gamer4eva
10-19-2006, 09:55 PM
MPAA got no choice but to ignore the usenet because one cannot possibly get caught. Aint that right?

Broken
10-20-2006, 04:09 AM
MPAA got no choice but to ignore the usenet because one cannot possibly get caught. Aint that right?

Yea.
They can't connect to you. They can't get proof against anyone for doing anything. They are fucked when it comes to Usenet.

webe123
10-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Actually you CAN get busted on usenet IF you upload and the authorities want to jump through a few hoops to get to you. People have been busted for uploading stuff, but those cases are EXTREMELY rare on usenet.

But if you only leech and never upload or post, chances are good that you will be OK.

gbilly72
10-20-2006, 11:12 AM
I checked GUBA's site a week ago and had believed they went completely legit. If they sell Usenet access, you certainly can't tell from their front page.

Xstation
10-27-2006, 04:59 PM

not for long?

ram82082
10-27-2006, 09:28 PM
who gives a shit, they'll just send u a email anydamway

FriLock
10-30-2006, 06:21 AM
If the usenet is a safe place to share stuff, why not use it instead of BT where it is a lot easier to get busted? I am a noob to the filesharing scene but unless Im mistaken, the usenet is a much better place to download because it is safer and a hell of a lot faster than BT. :huh:

0ctane
10-30-2006, 02:22 PM
well i heard you only get fooked if you upload , on usenet your only downloading :) and apparently that legal anywhere

FriLock
10-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Tis true it is possible to get in trouble if you upload because all nsps are required to keep logs of all posts that are uploaded but usenet providers will not release those logs, instead all they do is delete the files in question wheen they recieve a DMCA complaint/violation. This means users are safe and only the content is targeted. Usenet isnt free but imo its worth a few bucks not to risk going to jail.:yup:

rokie
11-08-2006, 07:39 AM
Something I don't understand. If all post are complied to be taken down upon detection of copyright infringement (it's so fucking obvious to the mpaa) then why do we still see so many of them being hang around merrily like free even up to 90 days?

4play
11-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Something I don't understand. If all post are complied to be taken down upon detection of copyright infringement (it's so fucking obvious to the mpaa) then why do we still see so many of them being hang around merrily like free even up to 90 days?

they hang around for so long because usenet is a network of many huge server farms that connect together and propogate out all the files they recieve to every other. each peer is normally owned by a differnet organisation. for instance newshosting maintain their own servers and your isp will maintain their own.

how do you ask to take down a file off thousands of different machines who belong to thousands of different companies over the globe.

rokie
11-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Hey you're right genius. That took me so long LOL!

geen
11-17-2006, 02:08 PM

they hang around for so long because usenet is a network of many huge server farms that connect together and propogate out all the files they recieve to every other. each peer is normally owned by a differnet organisation. for instance newshosting maintain their own servers and your isp will maintain their own.

how do you ask to take down a file off thousands of different machines who belong to thousands of different companies over the globe.

Another thing that makes it hard to get busted is the retention. At a certain date there is no more evidence.

digitrifecta
11-18-2006, 02:54 PM

Another thing that makes it hard to get busted is the retention. At a certain date there is no more evidence.

Yep! Gotta love the Usenet, any place where I can grab an episode of my favorite TV show in 6 Min flat imo is the place to be!