PDA

View Full Version : Shelby...

Smith
10-22-2006, 12:28 AM
I was walking to McDonalds on my break at work today, and came across this parked at the gas pump.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3563/spa0052iv8.jpg

I've never seen one of these on the road before. It was a loud car, I was all the way down the street and could hear the guy reving his engine clearly.

What a beautiful car.

Proper Bo
10-22-2006, 12:31 AM
shelby cobra:smilie4:

Skiz
10-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Most likely a 'kit' car though, even it was equipped with the logos and decals.

There are so few actual Shelby Cobras left, that it would be a once in a lifetime sight.

Lilmiss
10-22-2006, 01:13 AM
So you creamed yer pants n took a pic of it, inc. owner, to post on teh net and didn't even bover to crop it down or owt.

You're minez hero.

tesco
10-22-2006, 01:50 AM
:w00t: nice car!

MagicNakor
10-22-2006, 02:54 AM
That's nothing. My mum's friend owns (and still drives) one of these:

http://www.collisionbend.com/images/thing.jpg

:shuriken:

Smith
10-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Shelby>hitler wagon

JPaul
10-22-2006, 10:28 PM
That was one ugly car, Smith.

I seriously hope this thread is a joke.

Proper Bo
10-22-2006, 10:29 PM
It is old man's cock, like.

Snee
10-22-2006, 10:33 PM

There are so few actual Shelby Cobras left, that it would be a once in a lifetime sight.

Yes, let's do our best to ruin his experience. Opa!

JPaul
10-22-2006, 11:17 PM

Yes, let's do our best to ruin his experience. Opa!

No need, it already looks like a bag of shite.

clocker
10-23-2006, 01:19 AM
I disagree...the Cobra is one of the high points in automotive history.
Carroll Shelby wedged a giant set of balls into a nice (but gutless) British roadster and created what has to be one of the most unique driving experiences ever.
Just ask j2, he's a big fan (and even has some authentic Cobra parts stashed in his basement).

j2k4
10-23-2006, 02:00 AM
Carroll Shelby wedged a giant set of balls into a nice (but gutless) British roadster and created what has to be one of the most unique driving experiences ever.
Just ask j2, he's a big fan (and even has some authentic Cobra parts stashed in his basement).

Yes, just ask me.

A 427 SC Cobra would do 0-100-0 in less than 14 seconds, and a razor-sharp tune might get you 13.

A monster-motor in a chintzy British chassis just strong enough to keep it off the ground.

I had the privilege of getting my doors blown off by one back in '77, just outside Atlanta on Bankhead highway.

One of the greatest moments of my life. :)

BTW-

The one on the picture is surely a repro (probably the Fargo version); the doors were lengthened for easier entry/exit.

Also the owner decided to go top-shelf with the correct wheels, with real knock-off hubs.

A beautifully executed vehicle.

Busyman™
10-23-2006, 02:06 AM
I was walking to McDonalds on my break at work today, and came across this parked at the gas pump.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3563/spa0052iv8.jpg

I've never seen one of these on the road before. It was a loud car, I was all the way down the street and could hear the guy reving his engine clearly.

What a beautiful car.

Man that is a beauty.

Smith
10-23-2006, 02:15 AM
Its a slick car...but I'de rather have one of these...

http://www.microcomomegusta.com.br/img/Mustang_Eleanor.jpg

Busyman™
10-23-2006, 02:39 AM
Its a slick car...but I'de rather have one of these...

http://www.microcomomegusta.com.br/img/Mustang_Eleanor.jpg

I love the newest Mustang! That one is quite tricked out.

Smith
10-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Thats actually a 69' GT500 fast back I believe.

JPaul
10-23-2006, 10:40 PM

:glag:

The real one was a bag of shite and that phoatie wasn't a real one.

Snee
10-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Thats actually a 69' GT500 fast back I believe.

Actually, it's one of them GT500Es, I believe.

Built in like '67, maybe, but rebuilt in 2002 or 2003 by Shelby, so there.

JPaul
10-23-2006, 10:49 PM
You have to point out tho' that for the same money you can actually buy a decent car.

Snee
10-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Heeey. It's a decent car...at least as long as you are going straight forward and can afford plenty of petrol :ermm:

JPaul
10-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Heeey. It's a decent car...at least as long as you are going straight forward and can afford plenty of petrol :ermm:

True.

Oh and on a flat road.

j2k4
10-23-2006, 11:31 PM

True.

Oh and on a flat road.

Not the point at all.

The fucker would go.

That was the only point.

clocker
10-24-2006, 12:12 AM

True.

Oh and on a flat road.
Naturally, one must know how to drive a car like the Shelby in order to exploit/appreciate it's goodness.
Which explains your aversion, no doubt.

j2k4
10-24-2006, 01:17 AM
True.

Oh and on a flat road.
Naturally, one must know how to drive a car like the Shelby in order to exploit/appreciate it's goodness.

Virtualbody1234
10-24-2006, 02:47 AM
True.

Oh and on a flat road.
:)

JPaul
10-24-2006, 06:41 AM
True.

Oh and on a flat road.

:glag:

Naturalement. I've only been taught to drive good cars. Strangely there was never a policy of buying cars with a sub-standard suspension and then learning how to work round that. Go figure.

clocker
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
The Shelby hardly possessed "sub-standard" suspension, it performed just fine for the car's intended purpose- which was to shrink Texas down to the size of Rhode Island or even Scotland, say.

JPaul
10-24-2006, 07:22 PM
The Shelby hardly possessed "sub-standard" suspension, it performed just fine for the car's intended purpose- which was to shrink Texas down to the size of Rhode Island or even Scotland, say.

Indeed, it's absolutely ace for what it is, a big good looking muscle car with tons of power and absolutely no finesse.

It's American.

The funny thing is it's capable of over 180mph, but you have to put a restrictor on it. How fucking mad is that.

j2k4
10-24-2006, 08:29 PM

Indeed, it's absolutely ace for what it is, a big good looking muscle car with tons of power and absolutely no finesse.

It's American.

The funny thing is it's capable of over 180mph, but you have to put a restrictor on it. How fucking mad is that.

Granting we're not blessed with an over-abundance of finesse (we've frankly never needed it, and besides, it's French), it is a glorious blunderbuss, and the type of status symbol that makes fashion models moisten their panties.

I know naught of this restrictor business; I have never heard such silliness before.

JPaul
10-24-2006, 08:44 PM
The modern chaps have a restrictor on them, cutting the top speed from over 180 to about 150.

j2k4
10-24-2006, 08:57 PM
The modern chaps have a restrictor on them, cutting the top speed from over 180 to about 150.

What "modern chaps"?

They stopped making them in '66, ffs.

JPaul
10-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Look mate it's now my fault he sold his name to Ford. So don't start getting all sniffy about it.

Snee
10-24-2006, 09:21 PM
:blink:

Exactly what are we talking about here?

There's a GT500 in manufacture now, the rebuilt '67 Smith posted, and at least a concept Cobra from 2005, and wasn't there another Shelby a couple of years ago as well that was intended to resemble the original Cobras?

I assume one of them is a "modern chap" :unsure:

Edit: apparently there were some limited edition Cobras back in '02 as well, 40th anniversary stuff, or something.

j2k4
10-24-2006, 10:28 PM

There's a GT500 in manufacture now, the rebuilt '67 Smith posted, and at least a concept Cobra from 2005, and wasn't there another Shelby a couple of years ago as well that was intended to resemble the original Cobras?

Edit: apparently there were some limited edition Cobras back in '02 as well, 40th anniversary stuff, or something.

There have been kits around since the early '80s; I've helped build a few.

The comparison fails, though, as the kits are of more-or-less universal flexibility as to powerplant, and the original 427 (7 liter) cross-bolt Fords don't grow on trees.

Many of the kit cars were marketed as affordable owing to the plethora of popular small-block Ford and Chevrolet engines in the 300-350 cubic-inch (5.0-5.7 liter) range.

Much cheaper to build up, too.

BTW-

Such kits range in price from around 6K (US) to 20k or so, depending on options.

The "Eleanor" GT500 clones are absurd-upward of 160K as I've seen, and that's with a 351 CID block stroked-and-bored to 427 CID.

manker
10-24-2006, 11:20 PM
j2 lauding a blunderbuss. A weapon so notoriously inaccurate that, more often than not, it would maim or kill someone the discharge wasn't intended for.

I don't know ... can I equate that to keeping a gun in the family home.

Fuck it, of course I can.

Proper Bo
10-24-2006, 11:23 PM
You're like a modern day michael moore:wub:

Snee
10-24-2006, 11:29 PM

There have been kits around since the early '80s; I've helped build a few.

The comparison fails, though, as the kits are of more-or-less universal flexibility as to powerplant, and the original 427 (7 liter) cross-bolt Fords don't grow on trees.

Many of the kit cars were marketed as affordable owing to the plethora of popular small-block Ford and Chevrolet engines in the 300-350 cubic-inch (5.0-5.7 liter) range.

Much cheaper to build up, too.

BTW-

Such kits range in price from around 6K (US) to 20k or so, depending on options.

The "Eleanor" GT500 clones are absurd-upward of 160K as I've seen, and that's with a 351 CID block stroked-and-bored to 427 CID.

I was thinking more of the actual Ford/Shelby ones rather than any kit-cars, and these (http://www.carrollshelby.com/40th-cobra/index.htm), which I think has a slightly more official tint to them (although they may well be called kit-cars).

Dunno' if the 427-versions of the last ones are restricted (or whatever you'd call it) in any way, tho'. They shouldn't be, 'cos that'd be silly :snooty:

Proper Bo
10-24-2006, 11:32 PM
http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/04/press/ariel_atom_r34_big.jpg > any car evar built in merkinland.

fact

manker
10-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Were the last MGs ever built properly British? :unsure:

I know they've got a Union Jack on them ... :unsure:

Proper Bo
10-24-2006, 11:38 PM
wiki says no:no:

2000 Remainder of company sold to the Phoenix Consortium for a nominal £10 and renamed MG Rover Ltd
2001 MG Rover bought Qvale of Italy (Only bought the factory and the rights of platform of the Mangusta car. MG Rover did not acquire the rights of the Qvale name)
2002 MG Rover agrees to collaborate with Tata of India
2005 Collaborative deal with Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC) collapses, forcing the company into administration and insolvency.
2005 Nanjing Automobile Group acquires the entire assets of MG Rover.

manker
10-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Weird.

Perhaps they only have the flag on there to encourage nazis to buy 'em :idunno:

Edit: or not vandalise them :smilie4:

Snee
10-24-2006, 11:42 PM
As British cars go, I always wanted a Lotus Seven :ermm:

But (to my great shame, perhaps) I've always wanted one of these:

http://www.geocities.com/greatamericanmuscle/plymoth-70superbird.jpg
Hemi engine, turns like a hippo, and is prolly a nighmare on bad roads.
But it goes really, really fast forward in an interesting way :dabs:

manker
10-24-2006, 11:43 PM

A car fit for a robot.

Proper Bo
10-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Weird.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/6673/mgdrivernv0.png

Snee
10-24-2006, 11:47 PM

A car fit for a robot.

:lol:

One of the things that attracts me about that car is that it looks a little like some retro-futuristic spaceship, I think :unsure:

manker
10-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Weird.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/6673/mgdrivernv0.png
:o

Whatcha trying to say, like!

manker
10-24-2006, 11:50 PM
A car fit for a robot.

One of the things that attracts me about that car is that it looks a little like some retro-futuristic spaceship, I think :unsure:
Well, that might be a good thing and I think you know more about them than me -- as evidenced by this thread.

Not that I'll let it stop me taking the pish out of Bo and his brick shaped 1991 Mondeo, oh no.

Proper Bo
10-24-2006, 11:53 PM

Well, that might be a good thing and I think you know more about them than me -- as evidenced by this thread.

Not that I'll let it stop me taking the pish out of Bo and his brick shaped 1991 Mondeo, oh no.

hoi, it's 1998:snooty:

manker
10-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Really? I thought you went for old ones :unsure:

Proper Bo
10-24-2006, 11:55 PM
:nono:

Proper Bo
10-24-2006, 11:56 PM
What a kwality 16000th post that was:ermm:

manker
10-25-2006, 12:04 AM
What a kwality 16000th post that was:ermm:
Hey, one you can be proud of - sticking up for the ole cantankerous rustbucket.
This is an in-joke, right? :pinch:

Proper Bo
10-25-2006, 12:07 AM
hoi, there isn't any rust on it:snooty:

*except a small amount on the rear arches

manker
10-25-2006, 12:11 AM

I'm orf to bed.

Probably caused by an occasional, but forceful, rhythmic knocking.

j2k4
10-25-2006, 12:11 AM
I was thinking more of the actual Ford/Shelby ones rather than any kit-cars, and these (http://www.carrollshelby.com/40th-cobra/index.htm), which I think has a slightly more official tint to them (although they may well be called kit-cars).

Dunno' if the 427-versions of the last ones are restricted (or whatever you'd call it) in any way, tho'. They shouldn't be, 'cos that'd be silly :snooty:

I'd forgotten about those, however while the ad says they are faithful reproductions as to appearance, appointment, suspension, wheels, etc., they do not make such reference to the engine, apart from displacement, which in turn almost surely means the original engine type is not available, though that is of little import-as long as the power is there, the customer will be satisfied, and restrictors can be dealt with one way or another.

They're quite nice, in any case, and I would not consider them to fit the definition of a "kit". :)

manker-

A blunderbuss is a device meant for little but to clear traffic indiscriminately, and, as such, is magnificently effective.

I think anyone who wields such a weapon intends to hit everything, n'est-ce pas?

Proper Bo
10-25-2006, 12:12 AM
I've never crashed it or even come close to knocking it:snooty:

Are you trying to imply this isn't about my car, cawk?