PDA

View Full Version : Bitcomet what do the headers mean?

wiggle
10-24-2006, 07:27 PM
In the "peers" window there are the following headers left to right

1. IP = IP adress of conected peer
2. % = percentage of file connected peer has available
3. KB/s Dn = ? Presumably my dn speed from this peer
4. KB/s Up = ? " my upload speed to this peer
5. Downloaded = presumably how much I have downloaded from this peer
6. Uploaded = " " " " " uploaded to this peer
7. initiation = ? (Remote/local) what do these mean?
8. KB/s peer Dn = ????

Am I supposed to look at field 8 and work out from this somehow people who have high download speed but low upload speed (relative to the % field ofcourse)...and from this decide someone is downloading fast but not uploading, and so block the peer IP.

wiggle
10-25-2006, 09:00 PM
No one here uses bit comet and knows what they mean? And there isn't a similar layout in azareus?

kinjo
10-25-2006, 09:34 PM
used to use bitcomet long ago....stopped using it because many trackers band it and i think you should do the same ...
regarding 7) have a look @ this post ...
http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=170128&sid=540e09873cc9daaf1d1651e131a3024b

:)

wiggle
10-25-2006, 10:48 PM
why did they ban BC? and what does it mean if a tracker bans it?

Thanks for 7.

victord66
10-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Also, how exactly does one know if your client is banned? Is there an appropriate error message?

berserk1980
10-26-2006, 12:23 AM
no matter what reason it is , bc is banned from several private sites for sure.
utorrent is the best choice now for private sites.

if you use bc and the site ban it, maybe you will be banned.

you can know what client is banned from faq.

berserk1980
10-26-2006, 12:31 AM
seems it means "who is the first to start connecting"

you connect to that peer,
or that peer connect to you first. just my guess.

lysine
10-26-2006, 03:27 AM
decide someone is downloading fast but not uploading, and so block the peer IP.

it's best not to block anyone, and let the bittorrent protocol handle it by itself.

Also, how exactly does one know if your client is banned? Is there an appropriate error message?

yes, there would be an error message from the tracker.

victord66
10-26-2006, 09:23 AM

yes, there would be an error message from the tracker.[/quote]

Now this is getting interesting. I have seen a few error messages but really didn't know what they meant, usually something about non-valid passkey, or that I'm not registered. Is this the error you mean? Or will it say something about bc or client status? I'd really like to know because I'm quite happy with bc and am reluctant to change. Many thanks.

berserk1980
10-26-2006, 10:34 AM
@victord66 check the faq or forum carefully, you will find the info.

if you keep using the banned client, you will be banned.

lysine
10-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Is this the error you mean? Or will it say something about bc or client status?

you would get an explicit message that tells you the client is banned, just like the not registered one.

like berserk mentioned, always read the particular tracker's rules and faq and search the forum for 'banned clients' to double check.

victord66
10-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks and I have searched, but nothing specific to my question. In any event since (according to the recent poll) Bitcomet is the third most popular client, I'll keep using it. A third of all users can't be wrong and the banning problem must not be that serious.

SeK612
10-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Could someone provide a bit more info as to why Bit Comet may be banned from some trackers?

Also when you say "private sites" are these just the smaller exclusive ones or would the banning effect you when downloading from the likes of torrentspy and the other big fairly open torrent sites?

berserk1980
10-26-2006, 12:12 PM
@sek612 you can use any clients you like in torrentspy . mininova, ..........
no one cares.

why bitcomet is banned by some private sites?
i think it is a unfair and dishonest client. (just my guess)

SeK612
10-26-2006, 12:43 PM
How about Demonoid (will it effect downloads from these sites if Bit Comet is banned from private ones)?

So the problem is to do with the way it shares files or the developers or ... ?

I have seen the passkey error mentioned when using a smaller site, is this linked to the use of Bit Comet?

berserk1980
10-26-2006, 01:01 PM
its developer's problem. i dunno demonoid's rules.
you should check it by yourself.

berserk1980
10-26-2006, 01:06 PM
http://files.photojerk.com/secretguu/demonoid.jpg

is it clear?

SeK612
10-26-2006, 02:00 PM

Here seems to be a bit of info for others about some possible problems with BitComet from Wikipedia:

During versions 0.59 to 0.60, BitComet received bad publicity because of an incomplete implementation of the DHT feature. DHT is a protocol that can connect peers without the need of a tracker. BitComet's implementation did not respect the 'private' flag of a torrent. This in turn allowed users that hadn't signed up to avoid download and upload ratio restrictions, which are common on private trackers. Many private trackers have now banned all versions of BitComet because of the flawed implementation of the DHT feature. Although this problem of not respecting the private flag was solved in the 0.61 release, there are still many DHT leaks. Thus BitComet remains banned on many private trackers.

Two of the major DHT bugs were fixed with the release of BitComet 0.64. These were editing the .xml file of the active .torrent to allow not only DHT but PEX to run as well. The other bug is pasting "DHT Network" into the tracker list in the properties section of a .torrent.

BitComet's upload slot limit is known not to work. BitComet has also been accused of favoring other BitComet users on uploads, hammering trackers, dropping piece requests, not obeying requests for keeping connections alive, willfully dropping conections without need and trying to reconnect with multiple connections in order to gain more upload slots from the seeder.

wiggle
10-26-2006, 02:58 PM
I use bitcomet 0.60

I find it frustrating that I am capable of downloading at about 230 Kb/s but I seem to be usually downloading at 30Kb/s whilst up loading at 24 kb/s

Occasionally my dl has increased to 70 , 80 90, 120, even had 230 once.

I also notice when I have 30 kb dl / 24 kb ul with one file, and another file has 90kb dl/ 20 kb ul when each file is on seperately not at the same time. But when I put them on at the same time, the 90kb/s dl may reduce a little but the 30kb dl for the other file goes down to about 16kb/s.

Is this something to do with stupid download upload ratios? or is it more to do with I occassionally connect to someone capable of uploading at good speeds.

If this is because of stupid ratios, I'm amazed people have kept with torrents, the most ISPs set the upload speed at 10% of the dl speed, it is out of the users control to increse it. It's just stupid to limit peoples download speeds to effectively 80% loss in capacity.

In other words why I wrote this is because it says above that BC 0.60 was able to overcome some of the stupid ratios, I wonder if when I see a huge download speed (anything greater than 40kbs) Is this my BC 0.60 overriding the ratios? If it is then I am very happy to use BC for this reason.

If I change clients Will the fastest dl speed I get be under 40kb/s?

victord66
10-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Well, after reading all of the above, I think I'll take some advice and give Azureus a try. Can I finish a dowload with Azureus that I started with Bitcomet? Can't seem to find a way to do this. Tried force-recheck but got an error. Anyone? Thanks.

victord66
10-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Have just installed Azureus and it seems to work fine. Lots more detailed info on each file/tracker. However I can't seem to find anywhere in the documentation on how to limit ratio. I'm a good file sharer and always seed a file after download, but I'd like to put a limit on it to 1.1 or 1.2 . Bitcomet allowed this, but how to do it in Azureus? Thanks.

wiggle
10-27-2006, 06:18 PM
I just installed utorrent, and the headers (the purpose of this thread) are virtually all the same! So what does No. 8 mean? (refer to OP)