PDA

View Full Version : Snatching

htmark
10-27-2006, 07:58 AM
I just seen the new message on TL about snatching. Now can someone explain this to me.

Is it - I download a torrent from TL and then find the same file (everything the same) on another torrent and upload it there? As i posted a couple of weeks back and alot of people here do that. Or have i got my wires crossed.:mellow:

sert
10-27-2006, 12:17 PM
I guess they mean the original uploaders and NOT if you snatch it from TL first, then find it in another tracker and help seed to increase your ratio.

htmark
10-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Here is the message:

2006-10-27 - REMINDER

Just a small reminder for some people out there: SNATCHING torrents from TorrentLeech to upload it on another tracker is STRICTLY forbidden. Lately we noticed lot of (most of them new) trackers (and some lame "big" ones *cough*cough) that use TL as their source to upload new stuff. Just a headsup for ppl that may don't know that and are unaware of the rules here, doing that will get you banned. Instantly, including your whole invitation tree plus the person who invited you. You have been warned

pECi
10-27-2006, 01:15 PM
they meant don't steal torrents from TL and upload them to other trackers get your own sources

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/205/tlnewstdfgdfgnx7.jpg

like one of their uploaders did here :D

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3377/tlupdsfsfkj8.jpg

downloading torrents from other trackers and seeding them on TL as well i think it's still allowed

pandapop
10-27-2006, 02:24 PM
TL are full of s**t. they tell their users not to upload things they have downloaded onto other sites... and yet the uploaders on TL do the exact same thing there regularly.

htmark
10-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Ah makes sence now thanks. TL do seem to be devils advocate though

delimare
10-28-2006, 06:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned the file is yours once you download it. You can do whatever you want with it. The .torrent file that is specific to the site is a different story. For example, if you download "Evidence: The Last Ritual (c) The Adventure Company" by DEVIANCE there is no reason you can't take that file and upload it somewhere else using the other sites .torrent file. Just be sure you use the original file(s) minus any files that the site you got it from included. This is true for the .torrent files too. Don't take the exact .torrent file and use it on another site (like a public tracker). Create a completely new .torrent file with new trackers.

jaqozo
10-28-2006, 06:46 PM
As far as I'm concerned the file is yours once you download it. You can do whatever you want with it. The .torrent file that is specific to the site is a different story. For example, if you download "Evidence: The Last Ritual (c) The Adventure Company" by DEVIANCE there is no reason you can't take that file and upload it somewhere else using the other sites .torrent file. Just be sure you use the original file(s) minus any files that the site you got it from included. This is true for the .torrent files too. Don't take the exact .torrent file and use it on another site (like a public tracker). Create a completely new .torrent file with new trackers.

Just a small reminder for some people out there: SNATCHING torrents from TorrentLeech to upload it on another tracker is STRICTLY forbidden
They didn`t mean snatching .torrent but snatching releases. More and more sites ban users for uploading releases on other trackers (FТN , ScT, vipmusic (for collections, etc. ) and now TL.

pandapop
10-28-2006, 06:47 PM
the problem is that the TL admins and uploaders are now saying that the files you download belong to them... and you cannot do with them what you want once you have downloaded them.

this is absolutely ridiculous as the files dont even belong to them in the first place.

i can understand when talking about site specific packs that they put together... but everything is stupid and TL should be ashamed of themselves. behaving like spoiled children.

jaqozo
10-28-2006, 06:51 PM
yep, they steal releases themselves (from The Scene or from iplay)

Kruger
10-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Yeah, some time ago I saw a torrent @ TL with st.txt, where it was written, that the torrent is downloaded from supertorrents :D

sear
10-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Seeing as all the trackers have pretty much the same stuff on them anyway who cares as it's been said in this thread before TL uploaders are "stealing" releases so what's the difference.

htmark
10-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Ok so can someone just explain if this is ok?

I download a file from TL and then open a new folder put everything in (apart from any TL files) and do a slight rename. Then make a new .torrent file and upload that?

Chewie
10-29-2006, 10:30 AM
I would imagine that if you're doing it to a scene release then no-one will know any better.
If you do that with a user upload or site-specific release (a custom DVD rip etc.) then you risk this being spotted by those from the site you got it from. They're not going to find out if you unRAR the original files and then re-RAR them with a different compression or filesize, though.

pandapop
10-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Ok so can someone just explain if this is ok?

I download a file from TL and then open a new folder put everything in (apart from any TL files) and do a slight rename. Then make a new .torrent file and upload that?

they are saying this is not ok. you cant upload anything you get from TL.

it doesnt matter to me as i hardly use TL. but bitorrent should be about sharing, not keeping everything to themselves. TL are becoming the RIAA & MPAA of the torrent world.

i hope that if they keep up that disgraceful attitdude the site dies a sudden death. i for one wont miss it.

htmark
10-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Ah ok thanks for clearing that up for me.

Just you always see the same files everywhere though

Alot of tv shows have either LOL or XOR on the end.

Melvinmeow
10-30-2006, 01:45 AM
They are more or less complaining because they pay for the bw used in seeding the files and then these other sites uploaders just come and grab them and bail many times without even seeding back the files they are grabbing. These people then take the files they got from the sites and then upload them to their own site.

syD
10-30-2006, 02:19 AM
They are more or less complaining because they pay for the bw used in seeding the files and then these other sites uploaders just come and grab them and bail many times without even seeding back the files they are grabbing.

seeing how they support the whole pay-to-leech policy for vips, and subsequently almost encourage the appearance of users such as this one: http://www.torrentleech.org/userdetails.php?id=236623 , i dont think that is the reason why they implemented this rule.

and i totally agree with delimare. the leecher is totally free to do whatever he wishes with the stuff after snatching, including upping it wherever.

unless of course the uploader put some effort into compiling a pack (such as the case of the collection packs on vipmusic or the internal packs on bitmetv) in which case the request is reasonable.

aburyach
10-30-2006, 02:46 AM
Holy crap!
Uploaded 49.95 GB
Downloaded 5.34 TB

Thats over 16GB per day! He's not messing around...

LookingAround
10-30-2006, 06:16 AM

jaqozo
10-30-2006, 06:44 AM
16GB a day!...What kind of connection is that?...

NOT MINE!

16GB a day - it`s about 1.5 Mbit download
I`m sure he has at least 2Mbit download
but actually the question is : what does he do with those 16 GB he downloads approx. evey day

htmark
10-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Well 16gb is really only 4 dvd rips so maybe thats it.

mierzwin
10-31-2006, 09:26 PM
16GB a day is nothing. I have 16Mbit connection and can download more but don't want to have ratio like this guy ;]

VIPs are biggest leechers on TL :|