PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Car Subwoofers And Amps To The Comp

johnnytightlips2
05-10-2003, 08:13 PM
i would like to know if there was a way to connect those room thumping car amps and subwoofers to ur pc so i can have a whole frickin party in my house with loud, off the roof music.

to find out more about these amps and subwoofers go to sony.com and find sony xplod line of amps and subs.

4play
05-10-2003, 08:17 PM
this i very much doubt.

these amps run on 12 volts direct current which your plug does not produce without a converter thing majigger.

Even then it requires you to earth it and that would be a pain and very dangerous.

but im sure some smartass could could up with a way.

Jibbler
05-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Home electric runs on a/c, car electric on d/c, and they aren't compatible. In addition, home speakers and car speakers are difference resistance. Car speakers are 4ohm, home speakers are 8ohm, two different things. :huh:

johnnytightlips2
05-10-2003, 08:28 PM
damn i was looking forward to this oh well....... thanks for ur help.

amphoteric88
05-10-2003, 08:30 PM
an ac to dc convertor and step down transformer shouldn't be too expensive.
it's also possible to change the impedance/resistance with a setting on the amp.

why not just buy a normal speaker system, you can get 1000w rms systems, which would be more than enough to shake the room.

Philupnorth
05-10-2003, 08:50 PM
If you can get a power supply for an output for 12-13.8 volts with enough amps (you will have to check each amp to see its power consumption. It might tell you how many amps it draws. If not it should be in the handbook at the back. Just add all the amp requirements together (and add a bit to be safe), use top quality cables for the power leads and put it someware out of the way so no drinks get spilled over them at your thumpin partys and you should be all right.

Dont forget to make sure it isnt in an enclosed space as those amps get hot. You dont need to worry about what ohms the speakers are as long as you use car amps AND car speakers together. If you want to wire up car speakers to a home amp ie 8 ohms you can if you wire them in series using two speakers for each channel (take the + input from the amp and wire it to the + of the first speaker, link the - of the first speaker to the + of the second and wire the - input from the amp to the - of the second speaker. Doing this will work as you will double the impedence to 8 ohms for the pair)

Remember with any amp you can run a speaker with a higher impedence than the amp requires, ie 8 ohm speakers and 4 ohm amp but if you try and run a speaker with a lower one you will damage the amp

RGX
05-10-2003, 09:51 PM
My step brother did this, he ran a 12" Sub for a car as his pc speaker (the one that beeps at startup, not in the music sense), at 800w :D

Trouble is, his pc restarted one night, and the beep was so loud and defening that it woke up a lot of the street!

amphoteric88
05-10-2003, 09:55 PM
heat shouldn't be a problem unless you're running at (or near) the peak power of the sub (and other speakers). sealed boxes are commonly sold with no cooling solution, these don't really go wrong often.

TheFilePirater
05-10-2003, 10:00 PM
yes it is poss, get a headphone to rca convert and hook it up from there then (dangerous!) us a car battery charger or a a/c-to-d/c converter (easily)but those can be a bit pricey, and last, just use a fan to cool the amp

TheFilePirater
05-10-2003, 10:01 PM
i did it wit my 4-15inch subs and man is it loud :D

4play
05-10-2003, 10:48 PM
yes it is poss, get a headphone to rca convert and hook it up from there then (dangerous!) us a car battery charger or a a/c-to-d/c converter (easily)but those can be a bit pricey, and last, just use a fan to cool the amp

now this setup would destroy your amplifier and probably electrocute you for wiring it up. you wire up your amp with a power lead straight from the positive on the battery and the negative on the amp connects to the metal chasis of your car. this earth's your amp allowing current to flow directly from your battery to the metal of your car though the amp.

Home electric runs on a/c, car electric on d/c, and they aren't compatible. In addition, home speakers and car speakers are difference resistance. Car speakers are 4ohm, home speakers are 8ohm, two different things

sorry but my home speakers are 4ohm. this just means that they are harder for my amp to drive. Most car speakers are higher then 8 ohms so that crappy little stereo can run them. then again my sisters speakers are 16 ohm.

sorry but your gonna have to face it hooking them up through a home stereo amp is probably the best option. This will damge the speakers and amp but thats the price you pay.

johnnytightlips2
05-10-2003, 11:35 PM
damn u guys are smart but i was thinking of taking a normal 1/8 headphone cable take off the plastic covering and conncet the neg and pos wires to the amp and get big cable to connect the amp to the sub then use a/c to d/c convertor but the only problem is the convertor is expensive and i already set aside the money for the 2 subs and one amp but ill find the money.

thanks alot for ur help guys.

balamm
05-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

johnnytightlips2
05-10-2003, 11:56 PM
hmmmmmm i thought about that but here in canada the nosise filters cost more than the amp and i dont want to risk the hydrogen gas explosion cuz well.......for one thing i dont want myself and my precious pc to get blown to bits but thanks for ur help but im considering trying this on my old pc so notin will happen to it or have a electirc discharge over the house circuits.

balamm
05-11-2003, 12:45 AM
Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

amphoteric88
05-11-2003, 02:05 AM
surely the risk of explosion (from evolution of hydrogen gas from sulphuric acid) is not a risk at all. aren't all heavy-duty batteries sold in cases, which would prevent such a leak?

balamm
05-11-2003, 02:34 AM
Mark Twain