PDA

View Full Version : 56k Bandwidth Question

Yagyumarrow
05-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Hi,

I would like to know how setting my bandwidth to unlimited(which it is always set at)actually helps k-lite users to download from me, as I have a snail of a 56k connection. :unsure:

junkyardking
05-10-2003, 11:42 PM
setting your bandwidth to unlimited helps others to download at the maxium allowed of your connection, but i dont recommend doing this if your surfing or downloading on 56k, depending on the popularity of the files.

When surfing i tend to turn kazza off as it slows the connection to a halt, just set it to the lowest seting 3kb's and you should be fine.

I'm on 56k and i feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!

Yagyumarrow
05-10-2003, 11:47 PM

RealitY
05-11-2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by junkyardking@11 May 2003 - 00:42
When surfing i tend to turn kazza off as it slows the connection to a halt, just set it to the lowest seting 3kb's and you should be fine.
I believe to achieve a 3kb/s cap you want to set the value to 24. If I remember correctly, 8 bits equls 1 byte, thus 24 divided 8 equals 3. Also please set the number of users you allow to upload to 1, so that the user uploading can at least get the 3kb/s, instead of splitting it between multiple users. No one likes getting an upload at .5kb/s.

Switeck
05-11-2003, 07:03 AM
For a 56k, it will be faster in EVERY way to set uploads to 32kilobits/sec (4 KB/sec) or 24kilobits/sec (3 KB/sec) -- than leaving it set to unlimited.

The only exception is the rare v.92 modems which can have up to 48 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth. They might upload *slightly* faster set to 64kilobits/sec instead of 32kilobits/sec -- but what would be ideal for them would be putting in an upload speed of 36-46kilobits/sec (which can only be done via a registry hack.)

Ad
05-11-2003, 09:46 AM
It would be stupid to set it to unlimet for 56k users no point!!

kildred11
05-12-2003, 04:39 AM
Some people can't share because the rest of their internet won't work. Friend of mine has broadband but the server only allows for 125 kbit upstream. Whenever he shares his internet slows down to a halt, speeds around a 4600 bps modem. Don't know why but when he disables sharing he downloads just fine and the internet is fast again. Sucks because he wishes he could share his goodies as fast as he can get them, but he can't.

DalamarDarklord
05-12-2003, 05:45 AM
Ya, I have DSL and set both my DL and UL to unlimited, but I DL at 150kb/sec - 200 kb/sec and only upload at 20kb/sec max, I guess its a line or service limit, but its quite annoying when I'm sending something to a freind and can only send at like 15-20kb/sec.

Jibbler
05-12-2003, 05:46 AM
56k? One send slot only, keep your speed up and reduce overhead bandwidth. :)

Switeck
05-13-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by kildred11@11 May 2003 - 23:39
Friend of mine has broadband but the server only allows for 125 kbit upstream. Whenever he shares his internet slows down to a halt, speeds around a 4600 bps modem. Don't know why but when he disables sharing he downloads just fine and the internet is fast again. Sucks because he wishes he could share his goodies as fast as he can get them, but he can't.Yep, he doesn't have an unlimited upload speed -- which he has found out in spades when he has uploads enabled.

So why doesn't he set uploads to 64 kbit (8 KB/sec) and only 1-3 uploads at a time?

RealitY
05-13-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Switeck@13 May 2003 - 03:32
Yep, he doesn't have an unlimited upload speed -- which he has found out in spades when he has uploads enabled.

So why doesn't he set uploads to 64 kbit (8 KB/sec) and only 1-3 uploads at a time?
Very true. my downloads are allowed 1GB a day, though my uploads are only allowed 250MB a day. Also, my download speeds go beyond 300kb/s at times, though uploads never go pass 50kb/s. Thus I set my uploads to 512 kbit (64 KB/s), and allow 3 to 5 slots. It must be more strenuous on an ISP to upload for some reason as this seems very common.

Switeck
05-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by REALITY@13 May 2003 - 02:43
my downloads are allowed 1GB a day, though my uploads are only allowed 250MB a day. Also, my download speeds go beyond 300kb/s at times, though uploads never go pass 50kb/s. Thus I set my uploads to 512 kbit (64 KB/s), and allow 3 to 5 slots. It must be more strenuous on an ISP to upload for some reason as this seems very common.You do realize you're probably blowing past those bandwidth limits/caps in a couple hours. A good v.90 56k on a great phone line uploading at 3 KB/sec on average could upload more than 250 MB in 1 day. 1 GB a day of downloads is less than 100 kilobits/sec (12.5 KB/sec) -- the minimum speed classified as 'broadband' is 128 kilobits/sec.

Many ISPs have a fixed amount of bandwidth -- which they can divide between upstream and downstream. Since until lately, most people weren't using bandwidth-intensive p2p programs, downstream was often allocated even as high as a 10:1 ratio to upstream bandwidth so the ISP wouldn't need as fast of an internet portal/gateway connection. They also over-allocate their bandwidth on the assumption that most of the people won't be using it MOST of the time. So for every 10 or even 20 1-megabit cablemodem connections, the ISP might only have 1 megabit of REAL bandwidth to connect to the internet (although inside the ISP, their bandwidth between cablemodems can be MUCH higher.) Thus, they harrass the 'bandwidth hogs' because it degrades everyone else's connections performance and hurts their bottom line. Many aren't making much of a profit and are often DEEP in debt because the infrastructure for a broadband service is extremely high and the profit-per-customer often depends on LACK of use...

RealitY
05-14-2003, 03:23 AM
Hey thats just like a membership at the gym, if everyone showed up that was a member you would be outside standing in line for a couple of hours.

Regarding my bandwidth, I only download around 1GB a day to stay within my limits and have changed my upload to 256kilobits (32KB/s), as I never seem to get beyond that anyway. I also noticed in the 2.10build3, the configuration tool automatically puts the preselect option for fast cable at 216kilobits (27KB/s) for upload. Of course I am not being uploaded from 24/7, nor at maximum speeds, at times 56kers sit in my slots uploading at 3kb/s. I watch my limits because it is only fair to everyone else on the system, and after all I only pay $30 per month, what a deal.