PDA

View Full Version : A Tip For Windows Users

adamp2p
05-11-2003, 01:12 AM
I am sure many of you on this board already know this one, but for those of you who do not, here is possibly the best thing you could do for your computer, if you are running Windows 2000 Pro or especially XP.

There are, by default, about a million [exaggeration necessary] "services" that are running in the backround of your machine that you probably will never use and hog all of your system resources, and if, you are like me, and you generally only work with a couple of applications at the same time, changing your service configuration to suit your needs and disable all of those unnecessary ones will make your system fly.

Black Viper posts a VERY helpful guide at:

http://www.blkviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm

This lifesaver will guide you through a step by step guide on what is safe to disable and what is not. He has already confiured reg files that you can test out, as well as reg files to return to default.

Enjoy!

Set your system free!

I have seen the light, thank you, Black Viper

You are one of my idols
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nizers
05-11-2003, 03:17 AM
:sorcerer: Nice Tip!!

harrycary
05-11-2003, 03:32 AM
run>msconfig

it is your friend.

EnJoi
05-13-2003, 12:45 AM
gurreat site thansk

callad
05-13-2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by harrycary@11 May 2003 - 04:32
run>msconfig

it is your friend.
Windows 2000 dosent come with msconfig.. :blink:

harrycary
05-13-2003, 04:51 AM
"msconfig.exe" is widely available.
Google yielded more than a few sites for Win2000.

callad
05-13-2003, 04:56 AM
available, yes
There by default no.
so unless you have downloaded mscofig 'run -> msconfig' is just going to pop up an error message.

harrycary
05-13-2003, 05:09 AM
duh,
True, Win2000 and NT don't come with it installed. These O/Ss are marketed to businesses and as such don't include "msconfig." Let the sysadmin do there jobs is what M$ was thinking.

My point was, it can be easily added.