PDA

View Full Version : Building new PC. 1 or 2 gigs of RAM ?

digmen1
10-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi guys

I am just planning to build a new PC.

I want to use it for the internet, photoshop, but no gaming.

I will use XP, but may want to get Vista later on.

Will 1 Gig of RAM be enough to run Vista and photoshop well or is 2 Gigs needed. It is obviously a lot more expensive to go for 2 gigs so I need some justification.

Regards

Digby
NZ

Chewie
10-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Get as much as you can afford.
It's like buying a hard drive - when you get it you think you'll never fill it but after 6 months you wonder where all the space went.

zapjb
10-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Imo 1GB is great for XP & weak for Vista.

Virtualbody1234
10-30-2006, 10:19 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

Formula1
10-31-2006, 01:05 AM
You should get atleast 2 x 1GB stick of ram, and if your motherboard supports 4 slots of ram, you can have 4 x !GB for 4gb available to Windows Vista.

Skiz
10-31-2006, 02:08 AM
Why are you guys telling him to get so much memory?? He's already stated that the primary use of the PC is going to be internet browsing and Photoshop.

I have 2gb of memory right now and I can't tell a bit of difference in how Photoshop runs or in internet speed. (prior PC had 1gb RAM)

I don't see any need for 2gb for your uses. Put 1gb in and if you feel you need more, (which I doubt), then just order another.

Seedler
10-31-2006, 02:18 AM
Why are you guys telling him to get so much memory?? He's already stated that the primary use of the PC is going to be internet browsing and Photoshop.

I have 2gb of memory right now and I can't tell a bit of difference in how Photoshop runs or in internet speed. (prior PC had 1gb RAM)

I don't see any need for 2gb for your uses. Put 1gb in and if you feel you need more, (which I doubt), then just order another.

that's because you're using XP as of now.

Vista recommends 2igs or ram for "optimal" operations.

zapjb
10-31-2006, 03:15 AM

I agree.

famous45
10-31-2006, 05:18 AM
When i built my PC and upgraded from 512 to 1 gig, there was a huge performance increase, then from 1 gig to 2, not a noticable difference at all. Now with Vista coming out, I wonder If I will need more than 2 gigs to run the fully loaded version smoothly.

Skiz
10-31-2006, 06:05 AM

On the contrary. Did you look at the link VB provided?

Vista needs 512, but recommends 1gb for a "premium" experience.

ExilE^
10-31-2006, 08:22 AM
2gb now really is becoming a standard I have found.

OCZ or G.skill ram is pretty good :)

Skillian
10-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Depending on how you use Photoshop (multiple layers, hi-res images etc.), that program can easily make use of 2GB even on XP.

clocker
10-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Vista needs 512, but recommends 1gb for a "premium" experience.
If one plans on running Vista Ultimate- and why wouldn't you?- then 1GB is the absolute minimum I'd recommend.
Right now, with only Opera running, Sprocket is using 540MB.
Open up Photoshop...a known memory hog, and 2 GB is looking like a "normal" install requirement.

Chewie
11-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Hmm. I wonder if buying another gig of DDR2 would qualify me for an OEM purchase of Vista...

silent h3ro
11-02-2006, 01:14 AM
2gb now really is becoming a standard I have found.

OCZ or G.skill ram is pretty good :)Corsair is too, duh.

Yeah get 2 gigs. :)

digmen1
11-03-2006, 08:49 PM
It looks like 2 GIG is really what we should aim for with Vista, but boy that it twice the price of 1 GIG !and according to all the experts you have to buy both sticks of RAm at once to get the same manufacturer and batch.

It is starting to add up !

Regards

Digby

bxdynamo
11-08-2006, 01:26 AM
For the things you want to use your PC, i wouldn't go crazy spending a lot of money.

clocker
11-08-2006, 10:11 AM
But that's just you.