PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Open This Copy Of The Ring?

Roosh
05-11-2003, 05:42 AM
They&#39;re just called "The Ring CD 1" (697mb) "The Ring CD 2" (700mb). They downloaded as "type of file: file", and they come with the flourescent blue notepad icons. They don&#39;t open with any of the media players I&#39;ve got and they didn&#39;t open up as iso files. I&#39;m out of guesses here... <_<

Darth Sushi
05-11-2003, 05:44 AM
What&#39;s the file extension? avi, rm, mpeg???????

zeos100
05-11-2003, 05:54 AM
try to open the file with:
Gspot [its in the k-lite codec pack]
it will give you more info on the file type [it can give info on most files type]

RedRival
05-11-2003, 07:18 AM
Why don&#39;t you just try changing the extension .file to .avi, .mpeg or.mov?
You can get a program to do so, Changetype or just put it in a folder, change it settings to show all inclusive of extensions and you are able to play around with the file types.

Brace yourself, The Ring is a pretty creepy show. I believe the Japanese version (1997) was better than the hollywood one. Just try both out, they are all creepy IMO. :blink:

Yagyumarrow
05-11-2003, 08:56 AM
Hi,

I had the same problem with The Ring(Ringu) movie and I used Gspot to find out which codec I need, it turns out that there is about 60MB missing from the film which is why it won&#39;t open. :unsure:

Roosh
05-11-2003, 09:19 AM
:) Thanks for the reponses.
So,
I ran gspot, it told me I was missing an ac3 codec, did a google search which led to a forum topic describing the same problem as mine. Eventually followed suggestions there to download the ac3, xvid codec, update divx and install tsunami.
I already had the k-lite codec pack installed and have got the latest beta version of nimo in case, but haven&#39;t installed it yet as I&#39;ve heard it creates all kind of problems (I&#39;ve got the nimo lite pack as well -- anyone know if that;s a safer alternative to build 9?)
I restarted, saw that they were still "file" types and renamed them to .avi.
Presto -- they work. True, sound is a little sub par, and the color seems darker than it should be (or is that the way it&#39;s supposed to be), but can&#39;t complain.

Thanks&#33;

{I}{K}{E}
05-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Roosh@11 May 2003 - 11:19
:) Thanks for the reponses.
So,
I ran gspot, it told me I was missing an ac3 codec, did a google search which led to a forum topic describing the same problem as mine. Eventually followed suggestions there to download the ac3, xvid codec, update divx and install tsunami.
I already had the k-lite codec pack installed and have got the latest beta version of nimo in case, but haven&#39;t installed it yet as I&#39;ve heard it creates all kind of problems (I&#39;ve got the nimo lite pack as well -- anyone know if that;s a safer alternative to build 9?)
I restarted, saw that they were still "file" types and renamed them to .avi.
Presto -- they work. True, sound is a little sub par, and the color seems darker than it should be (or is that the way it&#39;s supposed to be), but can&#39;t complain.

Thanks&#33;
so you have : ac3, xvid codec, divx, tsunami, nimo lite pack and K-lite codec pack installed ?

i think that if you will uninstall all of them and then re-install K-lite codec pack your movie will work

Roosh
05-11-2003, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE]

Yeah, all of those except nimo are installed. So all of those are pointless and using up resources if k-lite pack&#39;s installed? I&#39;ll try that.

Anyone know while those 2 files downloaded without a filetype to begin with? Being smaller than normal or not having the proper codecs installed on one&#39;s system doesn&#39;t explain that...

Roosh
05-11-2003, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE]

Yeah, all of those except nimo are installed. So all of those are pointless and using up resources if k-lite pack&#39;s installed? I&#39;ll try that.

Anyone know while those 2 files downloaded without a filetype to begin with? Being smaller than normal or not having the proper codecs installed on one&#39;s system doesn&#39;t explain that...

Roosh
05-11-2003, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE]

NozzeR2003
05-11-2003, 01:33 PM
hi i have got both of those The Ring files and all i have is windows media player 9 series with all the available codecs, and alos the nimo codeck pack, and the kazaa codec packs, all have been updated redularly, but if u dont update them, u will not be able to play it.

{I}{K}{E}
05-11-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by NozzeR2003@11 May 2003 - 15:33
hi i have got both of those The Ring files and all i have is windows media player 9 series with all the available codecs, and alos the nimo codeck pack, and the kazaa codec packs, all have been updated redularly, but if u dont update them, u will not be able to play it.
WHY: nimo codeck pack, and the kazaa codec packs

just delete the nimo codeck pack. K-lite codec pack is all you need &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Tyke
05-11-2003, 11:35 PM
The filesizes are exactly the same as the ones I have, and it&#39;s a good quality copy. Plays fine for me in Cyberlink DVD player with K-Lite codecs