PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Security

Elvenmunky
10-31-2006, 01:12 PM
Is a wireless connection secure enough? can i make it secure? coz i was thinking of getting wireless coz my poo area only goes up to 1mb :(

david02
11-01-2006, 08:36 PM
I do not have wireless internet but I know people who have it for free.

what I try to say is if you do not secure it, everybody in range can use your internet connection very easilly. Even my grandma can do it without even knowing it

It is possible to secure your connection though. WEP is the simplest way of decrypting. It offers protection but still people can crack it but I think the average computer users in range (like your neighbour) are not skilled ennough to do it.

There are more encryptions available which offer better protection than WEP.

for some info read this

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/wireless.mspx

''I was thinking of getting wireless coz my poo area only goes up to 1mb''

I do not understand what you mean exactly.

As far as I know other (faster) internet suppliers do not force you to use wireless connections.(if they do they are stupid).

HypnoToad
11-02-2006, 03:25 PM
I think he means wireless internet as a way to connect to the internet, not a LAN. Not sure how secure it is, but since it is deployed in lots of remote areas here, i assume they thought about the security :P

Elvenmunky
11-03-2006, 02:15 PM
sorry i meant through a normal dsl connection my area that i live in only goes up to 1mb nothing higher so i want to get wireless in order to get fatser speeds but was worried about the security.

TorrentJunky
11-05-2006, 05:51 PM
sorry i meant through a normal dsl connection my area that i live in only goes up to 1mb nothing higher so i want to get wireless in order to get fatser speeds but was worried about the security.
They are secure. Cousin was on it. He didn't experience any problems at all!

backlash
11-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Things I do to protect my wireless network:

1. change name of network and password
2. limit the amount of IP's to the amount you actually need
3. disable SSID broadcasting
4. enable Mac filtering
5. enable WEP or whatever encryption method you prefer and create a key