PDA

View Full Version : "Comics, Comics Comics"... Everything And Anything

Schmiggy_JK23
05-11-2003, 07:57 AM
Okay, this is my first topic here, and I want it to be a good one. I love comics... Im like the brody of mallrats... I love comics that much, Id fight my way through a mob of hopefull stan lee meeters, just to get my weekly comics...

So, this is my comic thread, or, our comic thread. Talk about anything related to comics, characters, different series, writers, artists, (yes even inkers, or is that tracers, lol). So, if you love comics, or want to chat comics, come here...

So to start this off, heres my first topic to chat about... lets make it simply...

Favorite running comic title, and favorite mini series... what is yours?

My favorite comic title ever, has to be the X-men, now running as Uncanny X-men... the depth of the characters, the powers, the fact that they were human, to an extent, the great arcs of the times, dark phoenix, days of future past, age of apocalypse, onslaught... etc...

My favorite mini series ever, has to be Frank Millars "The Dark Night Returns"... yes, over even the infamous "Watchmen"... the dark night returns, the story of a batman past his prime, and his dual with changing of the times, going toe to toe with the joker, the mutant leader, and even the big S himself, Superman, truely a sight to behold, and definately worthy of the title, a graphic novel....

so, there were go, add your own thoughts, give out some more ideas, topics, etc... lets talk COMICS!

RedRival
05-11-2003, 08:04 AM
I don't know I particularly like the really kiddy ones. Calvin and Hobbes, the Rugrats, Peanuts and Garfield. THose are the ones that appear free on your daily newspaper. Other than that, I would only spend time reading manga.

About Marvel comics, I have a few in my closet somewhere but I don't particularly like them because it's hard to find the sequel to a comic you read halfway.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-11-2003, 08:15 AM
Maybe in Austrailia? With ebay, and comic cons, and comic shops, ive always been able to find what ive needed or wanted...

and by the way, mravel isnt the only comic publisher, theres DC (superman, batman), Image (spawn, jay and silent bob), Dark Horse (Buffy, Akira), Top Cow (witchblade), CrossGen, tons of them.

also, calvin hobbes has to be one of the greatest strips ever... sophisticated humor, had to love it.

MagicNakor
05-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Dilbert's pretty good...

:ninja:

soopaman
05-11-2003, 02:24 PM
I love comics but haven't really bought any for about 6 years. My favourite comics are :

Watchmen - Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons

V For Vendetta - Alan Moore/David Lloyd

Batman:Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller

Ronin - Frank Miller

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again (Return match with Superman!!)

I generally used to buy the collected editions because it could be difficult to keep up with the releases. I may get back into buying soon if this forum inspires me!!

Skweeky
05-11-2003, 02:32 PM
My favourites:
-Heinz
-Jan, Jans en de kinderen (first 10 or so, the more recent albums aren't that good anymore)
-Dilbert (ofcourse, the absurdity)
-Tintin (very good stories)

(I'll try to think of some more)

NotoriousBIC
05-11-2003, 04:50 PM
Dilbert and Calvin & Hobbes are always good for a laugh and I still have a subscription for the Donald Duck.

But my favorite comics must be Witchblade and Darkness.

Btw. I have all Witchblades on my PC, ready to be shared.
Are there any other people with lots of comic files?
If so, perhaps it's a good idea to open a 'Verifieds in a can' thread to post all comic-hashes there (a la the verified Anime thread)? Let me know what you think.

Curly77
05-11-2003, 05:06 PM
If you want a really good X-Men read then try and get the Fall of the Mutants (around issues 225 to 230 or so if I remember correctly). Chris Claremont's writing has never been better.

Recent issues of the Hulk have been quite good as well.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-11-2003, 06:52 PM
fall of the mutants was wonderfull, but do you really put it ahead of claremonts dark phoenix? There was so much greatness thoughout that run, its really hard to pick a defining moment... i think, of all the comics that had so many different writers, etc.... xmen is still more associated with claremont, they any one else... even stan who created them, and I think that is great, considering it was years ago, and he wasnt the creator...

the god loves, man kills story acr, (x2 loosely based on this), was great also.

slammy_dunken
05-12-2003, 12:26 AM
Fav. comic books:
- Garfield
- Transformers <--They still rule&#33;
- Naruto <--Does manga count?

Schmiggy_JK23
05-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by slammy_dunken@11 May 2003 - 19:26
Fav. comic books:
- Garfield
- Transformers <--They still rule&#33;
- Naruto <--Does manga count?
Sure, manga is great

What transformers do you like? Have you read any of the new stuff released under the dreamworks label? Some really good reads. The old stuff is still classic of course, from the Marvel days.

imported_Sly_Cooper
05-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Can i find such comics in K+++? If so, how do i do that?

olibomb
05-12-2003, 05:02 PM
I love the Superman comics, films and programmes

Schmiggy_JK23
05-12-2003, 05:10 PM
I have seen alot of comics at like at like, http://www.torrentse.cx/ and Supernova .org (http://www.supernova.org) two bittorent sites...

Jibbler
05-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@11 May 2003 - 03:57
My favorite mini series ever, has to be Frank Millars "The Dark Night Returns"...
I never read the first one, but I got the 3 part sequel to it, and while the story was good, the drawing was horrible.

I read the mainstream stuff, but mainly I&#39;m into 100 Bullets and the Preacher, good stuff, not for the faint at heart. The "ultimate" titles like Ult. Spiderman and Ult. Xmen are drawn very well, though I&#39;m getting tired of Marvel reinventing the same story every few years. B)

Jibbler
05-12-2003, 05:15 PM
The Alias series (not to be confused with the tv show) is also really good. I&#39;m staring to get into Marvels Max line alot more lately. :)

Curley
05-12-2003, 06:07 PM
What about Beano & Dandy??

Tut, I must say i&#39;m disapointed that nobodys mentioned them ;)

Schmiggy_JK23
05-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@12 May 2003 - 12:15
The Alias series (not to be confused with the tv show) is also really good. I&#39;m staring to get into Marvels Max line alot more lately. :)
ya, i love the Fury max title, excellent stuff, have the first few issues of alias.... Preacher is a great series, Ennis is truely messed up, lol... i thinkt thats why i liked the beggining of Fury so much, though I dont know if Ennis is still on there....

Jibby, the first Dark Knight Storyline is 10x better then the second, its truely grand... pick the TPB sometime...

TRshady
05-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Curley@12 May 2003 - 18:07
What about Beano & Dandy??

Tut, I must say i&#39;m disapointed that nobodys mentioned them&nbsp; ;)
Yes I was about to ask the same question, the&#39;re the best comics ever&#33;

I used to read them as a kid every week, oh hasn&#39;t a lot changed in two years :P

Prices keep going up though, stingy bastards&#33;

What was your favourtie cartoon curley?

I loved &#39;em all but dennis was probably the best, along with "balboy", "the bash street kids", the numbskulls", ahhh the list goes on. It&#39;s changed alot though, "they dont make &#39;em like they used to" :lol:

Curley
05-12-2003, 09:56 PM
:blink: Its been so long ago since i&#39;ve read any that I can&#39;t remember&#33;

I do remember Dennis the Menace and Minnie the Minx & also Gnasher the dog&#33;

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2559892.jpg

Jibbler
05-13-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@12 May 2003 - 14:18
Jibby, the first Dark Knight Storyline is 10x better then the second, its truely grand... pick the TPB sometime...
I&#39;m ordering this and the Jean Gray/Phoenix storyline on TPB. Can&#39;t wait until my comic shop gets them in. I think if people on this board read some of the Max titles, they&#39;d realize that comics aren&#39;t for kids anymore. In fact, comics are becoming very graphic, and the target age is 18-28, similar to that of the PS/2. Food for thought. :huh:

Jibbler
05-13-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@12 May 2003 - 14:18
Preacher is a great series, Ennis is truely messed up, lol... i thinkt thats why i liked the beggining of Fury so much, though I dont know if Ennis is still on there....

I love Ennis. He&#39;s back writing for the Punisher saga again, which is where he belongs. I&#39;ve started to buy trades of his older work, and I&#39;m very impressed. He&#39;s one twisted cat, that&#39;s all I&#39;ve got to say. :)

slammy_dunken
05-13-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@12 May 2003 - 09:43
Sure, manga is great

What transformers do you like? Have you read any of the new stuff released under the dreamworks label? Some really good reads. The old stuff is still classic of course, from the Marvel days.
I own at least a version fo every Dreamwave Transformers comic book except Armada, which I haven&#39;t read yet. I would like to purchase some of the Marvel ones, but they&#39;re too expensive where I live.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-13-2003, 02:12 AM
Ya, Ennis is great. Hes one of my favs right now, along with Mark Millar: Authority, (formerly, ultimate xmen, etc) .

Authority is great stuff, the uber violence was tremendous, lol... 3 willy Seth? ROFL... good stuff...

Ya, that dreamwave transformers has been great. Love readin that so far.

I have the last issue of transformers, from the marvel series, worth a mint, lol...

Infested Cats
05-13-2003, 02:36 AM
I love "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac", "I Feel Sick", "Squee", "Filler Bunny", "Bad Art Collection", and "Everything Can Be Beaten" by Johnen Vasquez. He&#39;s the creator of "Invader Zim," which was cancelled by Nickalodian (morons).
http://www.viciousgrin.com/images/jthm.gif

I alos love the comic "Bone" by Jeff Smith.
http://www.boneville.com/library/excerpts/bone1_p10.gif

Schmiggy_JK23
05-13-2003, 04:34 AM
Bone is wonderfull book, always been a fan of that.

I was glad when image finnaly got ahold of the rights, and did some reprints, as those early issues were a bitch to come by...

Jibbler
05-13-2003, 04:38 AM
Schmiggy, do you read Rising Stars from Image? Or Midnight Nation? They are both excellent, though RS has two more issues until the conclusion. Really good stuff, belongs in every comic collection. B)

Jayhawk
05-13-2003, 04:42 AM
Dilbert is good

Schmiggy_JK23
05-13-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler@12 May 2003 - 23:38
Schmiggy, do you read Rising Stars from Image?&nbsp; Or Midnight Nation?&nbsp; They are both excellent, though RS has two more issues until the conclusion.&nbsp; Really good stuff, belongs in every comic collection. B)
I havent read much of it, i have the first few issues, unfortunately it was one of those, tighten the budget issues, and i had drop it. But i love Strackynski (sp?)&#39;s work, which I have read, hes a tremendous writer.

One of the underated books that i really enjoy is code name knockout, have you ever read that? Pretty good stuff, plenty of adult humor, mostly tastefull, and some good action, think Bond, but female, way hot, with a gay male sidekick, lol....

BTW, famke janses was on letterman, or something, saying the following

"The character was evolving....into the Dark Phoenix&#33;" said Famke Janssen about her X2 storyline on "Late Show with Craig Killborn" indicating they may skip the first &#39;Phoenix&#39; storyline.

This is comic book, and movie related... so ill mention... i pray they dont fuck up the dark phoenix storyline by doing it an injustice on the big screen, especially with singer rumored to not be the director for x3... the source material, the dark phoenix storyline is one of the greatest in comic book history... alot of fan boys will be hot if it doesnt come off right...

Jibbler
05-13-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@13 May 2003 - 01:29
But i love Strackynski (sp?)&#39;s work, which I have read, hes a tremendous writer.

Yes, he&#39;s currently finishing RS, and he&#39;s got another 10 issues os Amazing Spiderman before he&#39;ll move on to anything new. Some writers, like Brian Michael Bendis, have always had talent, but they haven&#39;t had a truly creative outlet until recently. These books are not for kids anymore. B)

I haven&#39;t read codename knockout, but my everlong wantlist continues to grow. I didn&#39;t get into the hobby until about 2 or 3 years ago. All my friends collected when I was a kid, I started as an adult. :o

I&#39;m really looking forward to reading the Phoenix storyline. The trade I ordered should be in tomorrow at the comic shop near me. :)

Schmiggy_JK23
05-13-2003, 06:15 AM
Oh man, ur gonna love it, its so good&#33; I read it once every couple months, just to keep it fresh, along with "watchmen", "DKR", "kingdome come", "daredevil visionaries vol2", i have about 10 i read that often, just the classics, lol.

NotoriousBIC
05-13-2003, 02:22 PM
If you&#39;re into the Marvel universe, you should read Exiles.
I d/l it a few days ago and it&#39;s good stuff. Basically the Marvel universe gets screwed around 20 times over.
In a way it&#39;s a real funny flashback of all important events of the X-men, just turned up side down, as nobody seems what he is.

Do you guys think there should be Comic Hashes topic and get some sharing going on?

WeeMouse
05-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Calamity James was the best in the beano&#33; :lol:
Me likes calvin & Hobbes n garfield n peanuts, but what about the Far Side?&#33;

Schmiggy_JK23
05-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Too be honest, I actually have no ecomics whats so ever... Just never found the time, but I may like to start, as I have had less cash for the real thing lately.

And I did read exiles for a bit, because I loved Blink in Age of Apoc, and want to see here again&#33;

savvy9400
05-13-2003, 10:01 PM
have to say Ennis is the man, but Alan Moore knows the score.
Read his Swamp Thing for classic horror.

BTW. if you like Preacher, as you should try Hitman.Similar vein, sort of Preacher Lite, and its by Ennis too&#33;

Schmiggy_JK23
05-14-2003, 02:48 AM
I have read some of hitman, i liked what i saw.

I just saw that Bendis is going to ultimate xmen&#33;?&#33;? So i guess Millar is either gone or going to be?

When is the authority going to start back up, man, that was a great series.

chalice
05-14-2003, 11:59 AM
Check out www.sketchyorigins.com/comics for an excellent comics forum with loads of torrents. This past week I&#39;ve dled all of Tom Strong, all of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, all of Alan Moore&#39;s run in Swamp Thing and loads more. Not to be missed. Also get CDisplay to view them with.

jetje
05-14-2003, 12:24 PM
favorite strip/comics

http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/users/gert/strip/blueberry/trio.gif

Doorzon
http://home.wanadoo.nl/axel.reinders/images/Rest/doorzon.jpg

Macaroni&#39;s
http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~andrewij/auteurs/Matena/macaronis/Marcar1a.jpg

Asterix & Obelix
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jukkie/plaza/asterix/albums/chieftansshield.gif

Lucky Luke
http://www.luckyluke.nl/lujo1.gif http://www.luckyluke.nl/daltons.gif

that&#39;s the most important ones... but loads more... B)

Bass
05-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Havn`t read any comics for a while, but i would love to read the first issues of 2000AD again.I remember buying the first copy when I was a kid :D ......and those Fabulous Furry Freak Bros. were a firm favourite(and i think i`ve still got a few copies of them kickin around in the attic).....must sort em out.

cheers,
Bass.

sArA
05-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Not to forget Fat Freddie&#39;s Cat....who had a couple of his own comics out too.............. That cat had the most amazing imagination when it came to doing his business in inappropriate places&#33;&#33;&#33; lol

tianup
05-15-2003, 09:44 PM
I used to have a bunch of these crazy vampire comics from the 50&#39;s that I picked up at a garage sale when I was a kid, but can&#39;t seem to find (I think they&#39;re in a box somewhere?&#33;?&#33; :unsure: ). Does anyone know where I can find this kind of stuff online? dl?

Jibbler
05-16-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@13 May 2003 - 22:48
I have read some of hitman, i liked what i saw.

I just saw that Bendis is going to ultimate xmen&#33;?&#33;? So i guess Millar is either gone or going to be?

When is the authority going to start back up, man, that was a great series.
I just ordered the first two Hitman TPBs from the comic shop. He told me that Ennis did about 50 issues or so. I&#39;m getting excited. B)

Bendis is not on Ult Xmen yet, but will be soon. I saw an ad for the issue in this months Preview Guide. :)

Bass
05-16-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by sara5564@15 May 2003 - 22:11
Not to forget Fat Freddie&#39;s Cat....who had a couple of his own comics out too.............. That cat had the most amazing imagination when it came to doing his business in inappropriate places&#33;&#33;&#33; lol
He he....yeah ,they were brilliant&#33;&#33;&#33;Did you see the one when the cat decided to deficate in Freddys head-phones? :lol:
ha ha....must sort them out&#33;
cheers,
Bass.

botts
05-16-2003, 09:47 AM
i dont think you can go past the Bloom County / Outland comics. and i&#39;m pretty sure calvin and hobbes come a close second

i also really enjoy the Heavy Metal stuff...although it can be a bit tough to get hold of out here in the sticks in oz

botts

Schmiggy_JK23
05-16-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@15 May 2003 - 19:34
I just ordered the first two Hitman TPBs from the comic shop. He told me that Ennis did about 50 issues or so. I&#39;m getting excited. B)

Bendis is not on Ult Xmen yet, but will be soon. I saw an ad for the issue in this months Preview Guide. :)
Bendis is great...

Now I know none of these comic scribes are full time script writers... but wouldnt it make sense to maybe hire some of these guys to help, or write, some of the latest comic flicks... i know kevin smith of course, wrote a superman draft, etc, (good read too, i have it if anyone wants it), but it seems that why not say, hey chris claremont, wanna help write on x3, or hey peter david, wanna help on the hulk... or hey kevin smith/bendis, wanna help on daredevil... i know smith was on set for dd, and in it, but helping content wise...

is it just the studios are too stuck on their movie high horses, and feel the comic writers couldnt handle a scribe, or even assisting job?

savvy9400
05-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@16 May 2003 - 15:09

Now I know none of these comic scribes are full time script writers... but wouldnt it make sense to maybe hire some of these guys to help, or write, some of the latest comic flicks... i know kevin smith of course, wrote a superman draft, etc, (good read too, i have it if anyone wants it), but it seems that why not say, hey chris claremont, wanna help write on x3, or hey peter david, wanna help on the hulk... or hey kevin smith/bendis, wanna help on daredevil... i know smith was on set for dd, and in it, but helping content wise...

is it just the studios are too stuck on their movie high horses, and feel the comic writers couldnt handle a scribe, or even assisting job?
Have you never seen robocop 2?
Frank Miller is one of the greats, but not a movie writer.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Miller wrote robocop 2? Holy shit, and 3, i didnt believe it till i looked it up on IMDB...

well, i was more less refering to helping with material they had good runs on, ie, miller/dd, claremont/xmen, lee/spidey, in that sense...

did miller ever even write on a robocop comic? was there one? i assume there was...

savvy9400
05-18-2003, 06:46 AM
Yeah, dark Horse published some Robocop comics, not too shabby if memory serves correctly.
Miller didnt write any of them i think he got the movie gig cos of the obvious comic inspiration in Robocop 1.just goes to show not all talent translates.

shark
05-18-2003, 07:32 AM
What about Manga sites? Not porn, but ones like Dragon Ball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho

savvy9400
05-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Anyone read Brat Pack?
similar to watchmen, dark knight et all.

olibomb
05-20-2003, 10:17 AM
what bout superman guys????

Schmiggy_JK23
05-21-2003, 08:02 AM
superman is great stuff... i hate to admit it, but it was the prehype of the "death of superman" storyline, that first got me into comics... still a classic story to this today, though the media frenzy, and drawn out jibberish afterwards were a bit much, the shot of supes in lois&#39;s arms, tears down her face, will always be etched into my head....

thegroggman
05-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Ive never really been too into DC comics, although the death of superman and the dark knight returns, are two of my favorite comic storylines. But...I have to represent my man. Spiderman. I grew up on the comics what can I say. I have most of the issues (except a whole lot from the first 100 Amazing Spiderman ...#1 seems very hard to find :huh: ) Ive stuck with him through his lows....and boy have there been lows...it seemed like the clone saga lasted years...oh wait it did&#33; And then there was them bringing Norman Osbourn back...and Peter putting up the threads for &#39;good&#39; ...yeah heard that before. At one point they even moved him to Oregon. But the series has picked up in the last few years and always remains to me an enjoyable read (the September 11 issue was paticularly good...I dont remember any other comic dealing with the issue at the time).

Now...if you pry my hands off of a Spidey comic than...well Watchmen, Earth X, and Kingdom Come (I have issue 1 signed by Mark Waid, Alex Ross, and Todd Kleinn) were all great series.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-21-2003, 08:52 AM
That issue of amazing spiderman, the sept 11th one, has to be one of the greatest single stories in comic history... i think it actually brought a tear to my eye, reading it, so moving it was... seeing doom, with a tear in his eye... like, whoda thunk? and being that they tied it in so realisticaly with reality.

i actually have like 4 copies of that, one to read, one poly bagged, and two i sent in to get cgc&#39;ed, (graded... they returned a 9.8, and a 9.6)... as i get alot of my issues in good shape, and with beautifull covers, graded, mainly for show, as i never sell them.

the all black cover, truely brought a sense of dread, and sadness...

thegroggman
05-21-2003, 07:41 PM
i think it actually brought a tear to my eye ...well I didnt want to say it before...well cuz I mean to some they may just see me as a goof for getting emotional over a acomic. But, I too...was deeply moved by the issue, and by the time I turned to the last page with all the faces of the fire fighters and policemen...my eyes were watery. It was such a dark moment in our history, and the comic captured that emotion remarkably...but it also captured the determination of the human spirit. Seein all the heroes and villians of the Marvel world coming together not only to mourn...but to rebuild. I agree that it is one the greatest stories ever told...and for a Spidey comic there werent even that many words...the story was told through the pictures. And the cover...well...more than anything else at the time, it truly expressed how America was feeling.

I have two copies one to read (and boys has it been) and one polybagged.

thegroggman
05-22-2003, 05:30 AM
LOL...I kind of feel stupid for this...I mean...he is my sig and avatar so I have to give props out to HULK. Espechially the Banner mini series that came out last year. Oh and Kevin SMiths run on Daredevil was great too. (and yeah this is a bump :P )

Schmiggy_JK23
05-22-2003, 05:43 AM
I didnt get the banner mini series, have the first few issues of the "semi restart" of hulk, that now costs a fortune to get ahold of. first few issues were a great read.

Smiths run on DD was definately great, Thats why i cant wait for him to get on Amazing spidey, wow, good times, maybe they will finnaly ditch the "ban on vemon", and let smith write some venom stuff, woot&#33;

Jibbler
05-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@22 May 2003 - 01:43
I didnt get the banner mini series, have the first few issues of the "semi restart" of hulk, that now costs a fortune to get ahold of.&nbsp; first few issues were a great read.

Smiths run on DD was definately great, Thats why i cant wait for him to get on Amazing spidey, wow, good times, maybe they will finnaly ditch the "ban on vemon", and let smith write some venom stuff, woot&#33;
I jumped on the semi restart of the Hulk with two quick TPB&#39;s. &#036;14, back into action, never missed a thing. ;)

Smith&#39;s run on Green Arrow kicked ass. Those first 15 issues breathed new life into Green Arrow. His DD also joined the historic ranks shortly after. B)

I want Garth Ennis to write Venom. :w00t:

thegroggman
05-22-2003, 05:53 AM
Smiths run on DD was definately great, Thats why i cant wait for him to get on Amazing spidey, wow, good times, maybe they will finnaly ditch the "ban on vemon", and let smith write some venom stuff, woot&#33; Oh...now why did you have to go and say that...the possibilities...of Venoms grand return...with Kevin Smith helming...uh oh...geeking out :geek:

Ad
05-22-2003, 06:20 AM
emmmmm :P

N£MO
05-22-2003, 06:51 AM
:lol: :lol:

Ad
05-22-2003, 06:53 AM
:lol:&nbsp; :lol:

NeMo I see u have the adthomp thing happening :P

Schmiggy_JK23
05-22-2003, 06:56 AM
wow, ennis doing venom, even in a mini series, absolutely brutal that would be, hahaha...

but ya, i hope they give smith the aok to venom it up... he has been allowed in virtually anything, after they so overexposed him... its time for his return&#33;

thegroggman
05-23-2003, 08:51 AM
Ok guys...what do you think were bad ideas in comics? To me...the worst had to be the whole clone saga in the Spiderman comics...mainly just because they drug it out for so long. Another? Umm...giving Clark Kent long hair...I mean wtf...you might as well have just giving him a mullet. Oh and then there was the time they made him have a blue costume...dumb. In the HULK comics...merging Bruce Banner and Hulk&#39;s personalities together to make a giant green smart guy. I mean...that completely defeated the purpose of the comics...it was Bruce&#39;s battle with his inner demons...besides Ill take dumb monsters over smart ones anyday :D Oh...how bout all the 2099 comics...I mean..come on. Ghost Rider 2099? Nobody even read him in his present day form. Thats all I can think of for now...

Edit: Just thought of another one...the whole M2 line...I mean...talk about bad. Spider-girl was alright, but the rest was garbage. I mean the Juggarnaut in &#39;The Next Avengers&#39; wore a kilt...[shakes head]. Speaking of Avengers...the whole &#39;West Coast Avengers" (its been quite a few years)...that was bad two. I mean does the state of California need its own set of second rate avengers?

Jibbler
05-23-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by thegroggman@23 May 2003 - 04:51
In the HULK comics...merging Bruce Banner and Hulk&#39;s personalities together to make a giant green smart guy. I mean...that completely defeated the purpose of the comics...it was Bruce&#39;s battle with his inner demons...besides Ill take dumb monsters over smart ones anyday :D
People seriously underestimate the power of comics. There is so much depth to these charactors. Banner and the battle in his head is priceless. Spiderman has a really low self esteem, and he deals with death very poorly. Batman&#39;s vigilante career is based on the death of his parents years ago. Punisher suffers control issues due to the loss of his wife and family at the hands of a drug dealer. There are so many examples. :huh:

In regards to Ghost Rider... I read the 6 part mini-series out last year, and it got me interested. I really wish they would explore this character further. :)

thegroggman
05-23-2003, 11:53 PM
In regards to Ghost Rider... I read the 6 part mini-series out last year, and it got me interested. I really wish they would explore this character further.&nbsp; Hmmm...interesting. I just picked up comics again about a month ago, and its been about a year and half hiatus...so I have a lot of catching up to do, but since you said that the Ghost Rider mini series was good Ill look into it.

Oh and I agree with the depth of characters in the comic universe. I think the only exception is Superman...his character is just so one-dimensional. But I guess thats the type of problem you get when you try to make a &#39;perfect&#39; superhero. Oh another example of depth to characters would be (although not as present in the current issue) is Mr. Fantastic dealing with the guilt of having turned his best friend into the Thing.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-24-2003, 08:46 AM
The clone saga was a horrid debactle(sp?). The electric/blue supes was bad too. The alien spidey suit? Though it turned into the wonderfull venom, from what i hear, when it happend, it wasnt welcomed very well. I still hate the death of collossus... though they did it a well written way.

the x traitor? rofl... how long that go on for, 10 years? finnaly turned out to be gambit, from his days with sinister correct? Uncanny xmen turning into repeats, and almost getting cancelled... what were they thinking, lol... now its a huge movie, and one of the top comics each month. Todd mcfarlane becomming too rich and busy to draw and write his own comic, gg todd...

the whole "bad girl" era actually drove me away from comics at one point, of course, it was accompanied by bad writing all over the industry, and too many gimmicks... ie, started by xmen1&#39;s 5-6 covers, gg marvel, lol.

nahan
05-24-2003, 09:51 AM
I read all the new X men series uncanny ,exiles,x-treame,new age,
the Wolverine series theres at least 2 of them new ones of course.
OH if anyone has or has heard of wolverine orgins I missed the last 2.

One really good one I loved was the Gambit series,but they dicontinued
them just as his powers got extremly cool.

Jibbler
05-24-2003, 10:01 PM
I was disappointed with Wolverine Origin. We waited 10 years for Marvel to tell the story, and six issues later, we still don&#39;t know his origin. There is a new Punisher coming in a few weeks, called Born. Its going to tell the true origin of the Punisher. Wonder what kind of spin they&#39;ll put on that. ;)

thegroggman
05-25-2003, 02:03 AM
There is a new Punisher coming in a few weeks, called Born. Its going to tell the true origin of the Punisher. Count me in for that :D

thegroggman
05-25-2003, 05:18 AM
Ok, guys I got another question for you comic fans out there...what is your all time favorite crossover event? Mine is ...obviously Archie meets the Punisher :blink: No, but seriously mine is the Secret Wars. Pitting all of Marvels heros against there greatest villians was revolutionary at the time (early 80&#39;s). PLus it brought forth the black spidersuit (very cool) and the villian we all love...VENOM&#33; I have every single issue, I even have every issue of the crappy sequel the Secret Wars II. In a close second is The Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Deathmate&#33; laugh, just kidding.

Um, I dunno... the whole onslaught type thing, was pretty kewl, course the crossover only really happend at the end. But whenever supes and bats, swap around in issues, you can count on some good times. Big time crossover style though, secret wars was ok... but im definately lookin forward to jla/avengers by perez... supes vs hulk, oh ya, cap vs bats, mmmm

nahan
05-25-2003, 11:52 PM
Venon is the coolest villian .
Hey Jibler what happened in the last issues of the Wolverine orgins ?

Assultsniper
05-26-2003, 12:17 AM
There is no emoticon for what I am feeling&#33;

*Cough* nerds *Cough* just kidding I like comics too. :lol:

Sephiroth is the coolest villan ever although I think he doesent count.

thegroggman
05-26-2003, 06:17 AM
*Cough* nerds *Cough* What you talking bout willis? :geek:

Oh and yeah...FF7 villians dont really count, although I agree Sephiroth was pretty damn cool, anywho back on topic.
Um, I dunno... the whole onslaught type thing, was pretty kewl, course the crossover only really happend at the end. LOL...yeah I remember reading that and going...OMFG&#33; The Avengers and F4 are dead&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; And then of course they came back. Characters never quite stay dead in comics huh? Anywho, I forgot to ask...anybody else here read Wizard? Ive been reading it since like issue 20. Great Magazine plus it keeps me well informed about the comic world.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-26-2003, 06:59 AM
Yes I read wizard, not much lately, as ive been a poor ass, lol.

Wolverine Origins, it was found out that the mutt kid was sabertooth, and that wolverine hence killed sabertooths dad... the girl wolvie/james loved, ended up dieing, etc...

nahan
05-26-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@26 May 2003 - 07:59
Yes I read wizard, not much lately, as ive been a poor ass, lol.

Wolverine Origins, it was found out that the mutt kid was sabertooth, and that wolverine hence killed sabertooths dad... the girl wolvie/james loved, ended up dieing, etc...
I some what remember sabertooths dad beating him ,but why did logan kill him ?

Dam ,I get every magazine and comic at my work and I never even got to see the rest of the orgins.Nevermind that issue of wizard.
So ive allways been very bitter about it.

Logan was the kid in the wheel chair right ?

Assultsniper
05-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Well I used to read the sonic comics lots of years ago but that was until Ive realized that I&#39;ve been paying 5 dollars for maybe 5-10 pages of actual comic. And besides I was just kidding about the nerds thing. :P

ToraBoraDweller
05-26-2003, 10:37 PM
I stick now only to European comics as a few years ago I was
collecting Witchblade Then I saw that I missed out on nr 2.
There were also a lot of &#39;special&#39; issues :very confusing :( (and a ripoff)
Now still have my &#39;Kuifjes&#39; and &#39;Suske en Wiske&#39; 1st 70 issues.
Must have read them all dozens of times and they&#39;ll never bore me. :)

chalice
05-26-2003, 11:04 PM
I&#39;ve got a load of high quality scans of mostly Alan Moore stuff. Complete Swamp Thing run, complete Tom Strong (so far), V for Vendetta, Watchmen, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Miracleman. Also the entire 60 episode run of Transmetropolitan. They&#39;re easily viewed with Cdisplay. Let me know if anyone&#39;s interested. They&#39;re available elsewhere but sadly lacking on the Kazaa network. If there&#39;s any interest I&#39;ll post hashes.

thegroggman
05-27-2003, 05:29 AM
Ooooh....Transmetropolitan...now that was a good comic. Oh and Tom Strong...I only have the first 3 issues...it was really good...but there were only so many comics I could buy. Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...two of my favorite series...both of which I have all issues. I also have a few comic scans. Well really just the first 100 issues of the Amazing Spiderman...and that cuz well...I wasnt around for them...and they are really hard to obtain (although I do have quite a few). But still...scans are no comparison to the real thing...comics just have a great feel to them...I mean just kicking back...reading a stack of comics...it doesnt get much better than that B)

chalice
05-27-2003, 08:26 AM
Forced to agree Grogg. Nothing beats the real thing. However, as you know, depending on where you are, good comics aren&#39;t exactly abundant. And sadly, as is the nature of comic publishing, that the fervent afficianado often finds gaping holes in his collection. It&#39;s nice to read things that you&#39;ve only heard rumours of before. It&#39;s also nice not to have to wait several years until a story reaches its finale. I stumbled across an Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons Superman Annual from 1986 the other day. Such a read.

{I}{K}{E}
05-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Just wanna say that there is a torrent on http://www.suprnova.org/ with 1,2 GB on comics :P the problem is that you don&#39;t know what comics they are.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-28-2003, 09:42 AM
chalice, i would love to get ahold of those league issues you have, i never had a chance to read them, and definately would like to before i see the movie.

chalice
05-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Schmiggy, here it is. I&#39;ve posted it in verified ebooks. It&#39;s issues 1-6 of the first series and 1-4 of the second. The 5th is out I hear but I haven&#39;t been able to lay my hands on it. They really are quite amazing. After a few readings, it&#39;s worth consulting the annotatons available on the web... very rewarding. You probably have CDisplay but if you don&#39;t it&#39;s the best way to view comics I&#39;ve come across.
Also check out this site for loads of great comic torrents MLF (http://www.sketchyorigins.com/comics)
Let me know if you can&#39;t find this LOEG and we&#39;ll work something out.

Jibbler
05-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Chalice, links don&#39;t work here, only in the verified section. Also, I once signed up for that forum because I wanted a comic to be reseeded on Bittorrent. So I signed up, requested in the correct forum, and they banned me. Not a warning, nothing, just one post, and I was banned. So the bastard runs an IRC room. I figured, this must be a misunderstanding, so I joined the room, and asked some questions because I felt I was banned in error. Some dickhead Op argued with me, told me that I didn&#39;t read the FAQ (which by the way was disorganized and provided no info) and banned me from the channel. I&#39;ve been doing filesharing for years, so I know my way around. The pricks on that site are a waste of time. If any of you travel over to that site, be advised, they aren&#39;t very friendly.

That was my rant for today, thanks. :)

chalice
05-28-2003, 04:37 PM
Thanks Jibbler. And you&#39;re perfectly entitled to your rant. They are a snotty lot over there. I find if a forum behaves like that its best not to make any posts. Just join it and use it to your best advantage. If they can&#39;t give you shit, they can&#39;t ban you either. I haven&#39;t made any requests. I just grab something if it takes my interest. It may seem like leaching but I always leave my torrents open and its a monster they&#39;ve created themselves by being such snotty geeks.

mutterings
05-29-2003, 12:50 AM
hi all ...nice thread:)...just wandering i have alot of old comics that i am thinking of disposing of.Can you point me in the right direction for prices?my earliest is superman annual no3 (1964 if my memory is still ok lol)upto aliens versus predator including edition 0.I stopped collecting in 1994 so i would imagine there is some value to some of them i would just like to know what that is ;) ...btw what a great forum huh?&#33;&#33;&#33;

Jibbler
05-29-2003, 04:35 AM
Buy yourself an Overstreet guide. That will get you started on pricing your comics. Sell &#39;em fast on ebay. B)

thegroggman
06-02-2003, 06:43 AM
First Id just like to thank Chalice for sending hashes for Tom Strong and Transmetropolitan. Great stuff. Tommorow Im going to jump into those, plus I need to get myself back issues of Hellboy before the film comes out. (looks awesome by the way). Oh and a comment on mlf (http://www.sketchyorigins.com/comics) yeah I agree...the mods over there are real dicks. But they now have a private tracker up...and it has tons of back issues. What I advise you guys to do...is sign up with them on a Friday, then make a handful of posts in the marvel/dc/other section...and just give some bs. Then on Sunday (its when they add names to the database) get on the server, and get what you need. Oh and yeah this is a bump...I didnt want this thread dissapearing B)

chalice
06-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Groggman, check the bookworld verifieds for Hellboy. I put some on earlier.

xmen
06-05-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by chalice@28 May 2003 - 12:09
Schmiggy, here it is. I&#39;ve posted it in verified ebooks. It&#39;s issues 1-6 of the first series and 1-4 of the second. The 5th is out I hear but I haven&#39;t been able to lay my hands on it. They really are quite amazing. After a few readings, it&#39;s worth consulting the annotatons available on the web... very rewarding. You probably have CDisplay but if you don&#39;t it&#39;s the best way to view comics I&#39;ve come across.
Also check out this site for loads of great comic torrents MLF (http://www.sketchyorigins.com/comics)
Let me know if you can&#39;t find this LOEG and we&#39;ll work something out.
hi chalice,

I found both the links you put in verified ebooks
but cant find any sources on kazaalite to DL
:(

xmen

chalice
06-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Xmen,
the truth is that they&#39;re not very popular files
I would say that you are probably on a different Supernode to myself.
There is software and an FAQ some where in the forum but you&#39;d be better
to ask someone else about this as I am certainly no expert.
People have been uploading it so I assume the hash works.
Have you tried doing an advanced search on Kazzalite?
Hit Find more sources and sit back for a while. :)