PDA

View Full Version : Nice Little Email

nkxtc
05-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Anyone ever recieved email like the one i got below. thought it interestin tho comical.

Dear Member

We are writing on behalf of America Online, Inc., the provider of the AOL
service to subscribers in the UK. America Online, Inc. has received a
complaint from Universal Studios, Inc. that your account was used to conduct
the peer-to-peer exchange of copyrighted movie files owned by its members at
the following date and time without permission from the copyright owners:

DATE 01/05/2003 14:58:39 EST

Such alleged activity violates AOL's Conditions of Service (COS) available at
Keyword: RULES. Please refrain from using your AOL account to exchange
unauthorised copies of copyrighted materials.

Our COS department has placed a warning on your account as a result of this
activity. Repeated violations of COS may result in termination of your
account.

If the alleged activity was not conducted by yourself or a member of your
family, but believe an unauthorised individual was using your AOL account at
the dates and times identified above, please call us on 0800 376 7444
immediately so that we can take appropriate action to protect your account
from future misuse.

Thank you for your cooperation.

If you have any further questions please email the screen name COSMonitor as
this screen name cannot accept replies.

Regards,
AOL UK Conditions of Service Department

olibomb
05-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Its a fake

Eversman
05-11-2003, 07:16 PM
sounds real to me

gaun
05-11-2003, 08:58 PM
sound real to me, what adress did it come from?

Jonne
05-11-2003, 09:18 PM
it's probably a fake. It's kinda weird all people that post those warnings are new members. I haven't seen any senior members posting a mail they got, while they are the ones that are heavy users.

don't believe it, they're scare tactics...

Kokanee
05-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Probably fake.......
Usually they will tell you the file that was in violation and ask you to remove that file from any P2P/File Sharing program that you are using...
they will also state what network you were using at the time. ie:FastTrack

Schmiggy_JK23
05-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Ya for real...

you guys seen me, or other regs post anything like this? Shit... 130gigs shared on this pc.... my pc almost runs 24-7, on p2p, etc... when im not gaming, and i have never gotten anything like this...

screams out... fake!

:lol: :lol:

Eversman
05-11-2003, 10:31 PM
i have 60 gigs shared

MagicNakor
05-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Maybe it's an industry stooge trying to alarm us by "fitting in" and asking about the letters. ;)

:ninja:

AlanPartridge
05-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Yeah, just try phoning them, they won't know what you're on about

Darth Sushi
05-12-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by nkxtc@11 May 2003 - 19:36
Dear Member
Member? Do you anybody who goes by the name Member? :D

Jibbler
05-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@11 May 2003 - 18:17
you guys seen me, or other regs post anything like this? Shit... 130gigs shared on this pc.... my pc almost runs 24-7, on p2p, etc... when im not gaming, and i have never gotten anything like this...

This is very important. Some of us have a rediculous amount of software/movies/mp3s etc on our machines. Not one letter, not one call, not one warning, in 7 fucking years. When you see someone with 2000 posts put up a letter like that, then maybe you should start to worry.

Besides, even if this were true, AOL or any other ISP doesn't want to lose your business. If they truly wanted to cooperate, they could turn in most of their users. Of course, they'd be out of business, so its a catch22. :huh:

sk8punk151
05-12-2003, 02:50 AM
I have AOL and share a good 10 gigs on my machine. I have never once got any email warning me. Although, if you dont feel safe any more, dont share.. They can't monitor you if you dont share, or atleast I think so..

Everyone should share, but if its stopping you from using kazaa then one person who doesnt share wont really matter in the long run

Kabal
05-12-2003, 03:01 AM
Earthlink closed my account for having an FTP server once.. But they didn't send any emails. And it was before file sharin got this big.

Jibbler
05-12-2003, 03:43 AM
Earthlink and AOL are shit. They are too polically correct to take a stand on anything. I truly respect Verizon for being the giant among men in regards to respecting peoples privacy and fighting the RIAA. B)

sk8punk151
05-12-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler@12 May 2003 - 04:43
Earthlink and AOL are shit.
Yeah, they are. But I dont pay for my aol service, my dad does. So as long as I dont have to pay for shit ISP from AOL I am happy

nkxtc
05-16-2003, 02:15 AM
COS VIOLATION - FIRST WARNING

email [email protected]
This was the subject heading and the email addy it came from.

I didnt realise i had to post 2000 to qualify for advice n before i would be believed but ya know.wether it a fake or not i really couldnt give a toss about but i agree that AOL want money so in the end what do they care wot i do. As for maybe me bein a "stooge",way to go :lol:

As for not sharin well seein i have about 70 gig of mp3s movies n progs on share,i think i am entitled to ask a question.new here yes, new to the scene no.only recently found about klite so thats why i a "newbie" here.

One o the reasons i thought on why i recieved this is because my puter is on 24-7 downloadin every new release i can get my hands on.in the three weeks i been wi AOL i downed about 25 movies on a stupid 56k which takes days to get one, tho i do wish broadband would come to these nether regions, so my thought on reasoning is that maybe just maybe the studios are puttin out dud films to c who tryin to get em n doin a simple whois on me. like i say tho i couldnt care less if a Mr Universal Studios gotta prob wi me. Christ i cant even mind downloadin a universal pic but lol.

Last word on it all,if it was a fake it were a good one coz its a first i ever seen one.