PDA

View Full Version : Tired Of Fakes

I~want
05-11-2003, 07:02 PM
I have a dsl connection and 200 gig of storage. I'm tired of d/l fakes. How can we (the community) or just myself rename bad files so that the rest of use don't waste each others time and bandwidth?

TRshady
05-11-2003, 07:06 PM
*spider sense tells me your a noob*

Change the filename by finding the file (in my shared folder)
Right click, Rename, give it its real name.

Then in "my Kazaa lite" find the "fake" and right click then "edit details"
and input the correct information.

Rocktron
05-11-2003, 07:08 PM
Why does anyone try.. to tell another person how to rename a FAKE file? :unsure: :blink: :ph34r:
If it's a FAKE just delete it! Or you are sharing the same fake file..

Just DELETE THAT SHIT or unSHARE IT!

I~want
05-11-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm not new to file shareing. I'm barely computer literate. I have been changing the file names but still people try to d/l fakes from me. Instead of changing the file names should I just delete the file? I want to do my part to make p2p better. what's the best way to do this?

I~want
05-11-2003, 07:14 PM
" unshare it "
what is this?
how do I?

I~want
05-11-2003, 07:21 PM
I figured out how to "stop shareing".
After I change the bogus file name and stop sharing
when some one else runs a search do they see the info that i changed?

SeK612
05-11-2003, 07:38 PM
I figured out how to "stop shareing".
After I change the bogus file name and stop sharing
when some one else runs a search do they see the info that i changed?

No because you are not sharing it (a file has to be "shared" to allow others to see it).

If your changing he details of a misleadingly named file that your keeping then just add a footnote in the desciption section in edit details (something like **not X-Men2 really Toy Story**). Keep the rest of the details intact so people searching for the file like you did will be able to see the ammended details.

Rat Faced
05-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Rocktron@11 May 2003 - 19:08
Why does anyone try.. to tell another person how to rename a FAKE file? :unsure: :blink: :ph34r:
If it's a FAKE just delete it! Or you are sharing the same fake file..

Just DELETE THAT SHIT or unSHARE IT!
Because sometimes these fakes are legitamate files that have fake names...

Remember when everyone was getting FightClub and Zoolander?

Renaming them, means that people after that file have more sources....until you delete it for lack off space.

You've spent all that time downloading it, you might as well get some 'feelgood' by sharing it, rather than just feeling lousy for wasting your time.

Tyke
05-11-2003, 11:27 PM
:rolleyes: ^^ What He Said ^^ :rolleyes:

If ever I'm downloading from a verified sig, and the tags say that it's something else, (apart from re-naming it) all I do is edit details to include "This is NOT *insett fake filename here*"

Now the uploads which are cancelled are more often than not, that sort of file, which suggests that some at least do read the file details in the pop-up box Problem being, renaming alone doesn't solve it because Kazaa does not recognise filename.

Jibbler
05-12-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by I~want@11 May 2003 - 15:14
" unshare it "
what is this?
how do I?
I prefer just to delete the bogus file. Renaming it just causes more confusion. Kazaa is great, but fakes are going to ruin the network. The verifieds and the upcoming database will help sort things out. :)

harrycary
05-12-2003, 04:37 AM
I got to agree with Jibbler, delete the fakes.

In fact, I've been sending nasty nasty messages to anyone with a fake file. Especially the bozos who download a movie based on the Kazaa name and never look at the actual file name! Hopefully they realize their error after receiving my message. Teehee.

I know, it's really childish but does make me feel better.

Quote Red Foreman "they're all dumbasses!"

Ad
05-12-2003, 06:04 AM
i wrote a nasty letter to an idiot sharing fakes and he told me so what thats not my problem"

I just delete fakes too there is never a fake file thats worth having never its useally some shit if its not what i want i always delete it

N£MO
05-12-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler+12 May 2003 - 01:16--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 12 May 2003 - 01:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--I~want@11 May 2003 - 15:14
" unshare it "
what is this?
how do I?
I prefer just to delete the bogus file. Renaming it just causes more confusion. Kazaa is great, but fakes are going to ruin the network. The verifieds and the upcoming database will help sort things out. :) [/b][/quote]
Wise words and i agree with you totally on what you said.

Have always and will always delete fakes,just waste of peoples bandwidth downloading them.

Seems to be quite alot of moaning from n00bs about fakes and leeches,some of you have got to get out more and live in the real world :)

acetken
05-12-2003, 09:38 AM
I&#39;ve got a better idea. A central database spread to every Supernode. It&#39;d be a small text file and could even be zipped. It would update once an hour or so to keep current. It would have fake files and everything would be renamed to the correct thing automatically. Less search results, less network stress. The server load would go up a little, but it&#39;d save that much at least in false downloads.

Devs? How bout it? I&#39;m sure we could get the community rallied behind this. It&#39;s stop every false file spreader dead in their tracks.

RealitY
05-12-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by acetken@12 May 2003 - 10:38
I&#39;ve got a better idea. A central database spread to every Supernode. It&#39;d be a small text file and could even be zipped. It would update once an hour or so to keep current. It would have fake files and everything would be renamed to the correct thing automatically. Less search results, less network stress. The server load would go up a little, but it&#39;d save that much at least in false downloads.

Devs? How bout it? I&#39;m sure we could get the community rallied behind this. It&#39;s stop every false file spreader dead in their tracks.
Funny I was reading that http://www.earthstation5.com/ is supposed to launch not only with encryption, but also with "file verification", there will be a green light next to the file if its a verified one, supposed to launch with 1.5 million verifieds built in and set to grow. Wow, encryption and verifieds, now they just need a user base.