PDA

View Full Version : Linking 2 pc's to the net?

dodgy368
11-03-2006, 11:27 PM
I want to go wireless and link 2 pc's to an internet connection.

Obviously I need a wireless router, but what hardware do I need for each pc?

Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Virtualbody1234
11-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Wireless Adapters.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=31

lynx
11-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Look for one with a moveable antenna, like this:
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=5369&category_id=154&manufacturer_id=0

These are excellent btw, 100% signal at all times even though the router is right next to the TV and sitting on top of the satellite receiver, and the PCs are 50 meters away.

If you want a matching router, future proof yourself with an ADSL2+ model such as this:
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=6904&category_id=156&manufacturer_id=0

bvxxx
11-05-2006, 09:23 AM
I like D-Link stuff - have been using their stuff for over 2 years.
Check this for all you want to know about home networking

http://www.dlink.com/products/wireless-starter-kits.asp

dodgy368
11-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the help.:)

TorrentJunky
11-05-2006, 05:44 PM
I would recomend Belkin or Linksys routers.

delimare
11-06-2006, 04:27 AM
I would recommend a router with the new “N” wireless technology. This (http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxNEXTWirelessRoutersandGateways.aspx) little baby right here is what I’m currently using. It has unmatched range, I have Excellent signal everywhere in my home and the router is in a closed closet on my upper level. I can be maxing out my internet connection on one PC (both up and download speeds, basically saturating my bandwidth) and still stream full 1080 HD video from my wired storage PC to my wireless laptop. Remember though that most internal laptop wireless receivers only handle up to 54Mbps. If you want to flawlessly stream 1080 HD video you’ll need a wireless PCMCIA card or antenna that can handle AT LEAST 100Mbps. This particular router can pump 300Mbps wirelessly.

bxdynamo
11-08-2006, 01:22 AM
try to use all components from the same manufacturer, it will make things easier and less confusing. I like Linksys, personally. Good Luck

XP1
11-09-2006, 03:51 AM
I would recommend a router with the new “N” wireless technology. This (http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxNEXTWirelessRoutersandGateways.aspx) little baby right here is what I’m currently using. It has unmatched range, I have Excellent signal everywhere in my home and the router is in a closed closet on my upper level. I can be maxing out my internet connection on one PC (both up and download speeds, basically saturating my bandwidth) and still stream full 1080 HD video from my wired storage PC to my wireless laptop. Remember though that most internal laptop wireless receivers only handle up to 54Mbps. If you want to flawlessly stream 1080 HD video you’ll need a wireless PCMCIA card or antenna that can handle AT LEAST 100Mbps. This particular router can pump 300Mbps wirelessly.

I guess it would really depend on the person. If they want to spend the money to get a N router, they can. Most people don't really need N and can live with G since you won't be downloading anything off the Internet with speeds of 300Mbps anytime soon.
If you transfer large files all the time, then N would prob be best for you.

ooo
11-14-2006, 01:28 AM
I use linksys but I kind of hate my linksys. I get frequent disconnects on it. I heard decent stuff about netgear and d-link.

manofstyle
11-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Do you need both PC's on wireless, or will one of them be wired to the router? Obviously, if you have one wired then you will only need one wireless card.

I also reccomend using the same brand Router and wireless cards.

Skillz808
11-19-2006, 11:59 PM
I love the d-link platinum products i used linksys while back i never liked it. seems like everytime i used linksys i had firmware issues or connection issues.

d-link FTW

dodgy368
12-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Guess what Santa brought me, a Belkin ADSL modem with wireless G router and a matching network card, wonder how long this will take to install next Sunday, most of the time will be spent trying to find where I wrote down my password.:P

dodgy368
12-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Would've just editted(sp) my last post but wanted to bump this to the top.

Had a quick go at installing it, big problem, absolutely NO installation software on the installation disc!
All there is on it is a pdf manual telling me to go to 192.168.2.1 on my browser which I can't connect to!:angry:

Can one of you guys(or gals) try going to 192.168.2.1 to see if you can, thanks if you can.

Virtualbody1234
12-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Would've just editted(sp) my last post but wanted to bump this to the top.

Had a quick go at installing it, big problem, absolutely NO installation software on the installation disc!
All there is on it is a pdf manual telling me to go to 192.168.2.1 on my browser which I can't connect to!:angry:

Can one of you guys(or gals) try going to 192.168.2.1 to see if you can, thanks if you can.
:lol: That's a local IP. We can't connect to it.

You shouldn't need any software. You should be able to access the router using http://192.168.2.1/ once the router is connected.

Can you describe how you have it connected?

dodgy368
12-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the quick reply VB.
From the wall socket I have a filter, phone connected to one of the outlets(works no problem) and adsl cable connected to my modem/router on the other outlet, the modem/router is connected to my pc by a yellow LAN cable(methinks this is where the prob is cos I know sod all about Lan).

Have Googled a bit on this and think it might be a firewall problem, even though I had both switched off, will read up on it a bit more and have another go on Saturday.

SORTED! :D
Sneaked off work this afternoon to have a proper go at it and got it up and running in half an hour.
Will fit the card in the kids pc next week so might be back on this thread. :P

lynx
12-28-2006, 01:47 PM
A couple of things to think about

Is your lan port enabled - if you've never had need to use it before then it could be disabled.
Is the cable the correct type and plugged into the correct ports?
If it is enabled, is it manually configured? If so, the settings are unlikely to be match the requirements for your new router.

In network connections, double click Local Area Connection.
If the port was disabled, this will enable it - double click it again.

Once the port is enabled, you should either get a properties box or a status box.

If you've got a properties box this suggests that the cabling is probably incorrect. Check the cables and come back for further assistance.

Finally if you've got a status box, select the support tab and look at the Address type - if this says Assigned by DHCP then everything is ok.

Otherwise either the router hasn't assigned it an address yet, or it is manually configured. Again, come back for more assistance.

dodgy368
12-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks Lynx, I updated my last post as you were typing yours.:)

Popped home from work again and now know how to forward my ports. :D

Gonna check with work to see if I have enough time to fit the network card now.

Fitted the card into my son's pc in the bedroom and he is now connected to the internet wirelessly. :D

His response?
"I'll play with it tomorrow Daddy"!!!
Little GIT!