PDA

View Full Version : Me Or Xp

mushmush
05-11-2003, 08:55 PM
I've been using windows me for quite some time now.i have found it to be v good with just the odd occasional error.

i was just wandering what peoples opinion are towards windows xp,as i have got a disk (windows xp pro corporate bootable)

should i use it or should i stay with windows me?

Amadeus
05-11-2003, 09:00 PM
If it works don't fix it. Change is nice though, I've been using ME since I've had this computer occasionally switching over to XP, but it never lasted long, always went back.

dave computer
05-11-2003, 09:07 PM
If I were you I would install windows xp. Windows Me is really buggy. Once you start windows xp you won't want to go back at least for me.

Kokanee
05-11-2003, 09:18 PM
I used to use ME for along time and never encountered any sort of problems while running it. I don't understand what the big fuss about using Win ME is all about? I have switched over to Win XP Pro and love it and will probably stay with XP until this comp is six feet under. I think all the ME critics have never used ME as their OS and are judging by what they have heard. No probs here and no one I know running ME has ever had a problem....so Run ME - XP doesn't matter.
-The thing I like about XP is that I find it easier to find the things I need .
-The colors are nice too :D.
-Boot up was a little faster.
-A few extra features
-Can set restore points
-Additional users blah blah blah........
Go with XP - LOL :lol:

ToraBoraDweller
05-11-2003, 09:41 PM
You can use both as long as ME is your first installment.
Use partitionmanager (e.g. Partitionmagic) to add a ntfs-partition.

EnJoi
05-11-2003, 09:56 PM
hey i had the same predicament ME was sucking co** for me too many blue screens got OEM XP HOME EDITION FROM A FRIEND CLEAN INSTALL IM FINE NOW INSTALL IT I RECCOMEND

Bearded Kazaa
05-11-2003, 10:30 PM
I would go with Windows XP it is truley anmazing 100 times better than ME

just the look of XP and everything about XP is great you wouldn't regret using XP

Schuler
05-11-2003, 11:36 PM
I used to have Windows ME. What I didn't like the most about it was that with 512 RAM, I somehow ran out of memory with not that many applications open. Never had that problem with XP. If you have the necessary RAM, 256+ is usually the best for XP, 128 is doable though. I was quite happy that I upgraded.

mushmush
05-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Thank you all very much for your feedback...Its been very helpful.

I think i'm going to stick with ME for a while longer.....I'm just not confident enough at the moment to put XP onto my comp. :unsure:

P.S Thanks again.

Paul_NFFC
05-12-2003, 05:10 PM
more fool you if your sticking with ME

its like asking should i get a pentium celeron 733mhz processor or a pentium 4 3.06ghz

but your choice ;)

mushmush
05-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Paul_NFFC@12 May 2003 - 18:10

its like asking should i get a pentium celeron 733mhz processor or a pentium 4 3.06ghz

but your choice ;)
Thanks paul that makes me feel better.

anyway good luck on thursday!

N£MO
05-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Go with XP,ME aint in the same league. ;)

ugluk
05-12-2003, 06:12 PM
i say you should install windows xp. once you get used to the new colours and all, you'll never look back!

i recomend you do a clean install, thus not simply upgrading Me to XP, but to reformat your system drive and install xp from scratch. xp will run alot better if you do. ;) takes more time yes, but it's worth it.

psikoneo
05-12-2003, 08:43 PM
ME is nasty

reason it disappeared so fast

Huge Nasty Bad Memory leak in the Active Desktop

because of that, XP was rushed out a smidge

don't use ME, you're asking for trouble

gamer
05-12-2003, 09:05 PM
i used to have winblows me. it would freeze to easily with 512mb memory. and half my apps and games would just randomly freeze and become unrecoverable without restarting. now i'm running windows xp pro and have had no problems with anything. make sure you have at least 128mb memory tho. perferably 256mb of ddr. or even better 512mb ddr333. i've got 1024mb pc3500 running in my pc. but i used to have 512mb pc133 and everything ran fine. so basically winblows me should be burnt in hell.

The Knife Thrower
05-12-2003, 09:09 PM
ME is basically Windows Media Player 8 and internet explorer 5.5. That's the new features you get with it. And movie maker (no words to describe this).

p_funk
05-12-2003, 11:58 PM
I have recently made the switch from WinME to WinXP and love it . With WinME I used to get the lovely blue screen of death at least once every other day, and it would just freeze up on me all the time. So if I were you I would with WinXP. :beerchug:

Paul_NFFC
05-13-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by mushmush+12 May 2003 - 18:21--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mushmush @ 12 May 2003 - 18:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Paul_NFFC@12 May 2003 - 18:10

but your choice&nbsp; ;)

anyway good luck on thursday&#33; [/b][/quote]

you a football fan then? who do you support? (please dont say sheff utd) :huh:

mushmush
05-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Paul_NFFC+13 May 2003 - 01:17--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Paul_NFFC @ 13 May 2003 - 01:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -mushmush@12 May 2003 - 18:21
<!--QuoteBegin--Paul_NFFC@12 May 2003 - 18:10

but your choice ;)

anyway good luck on thursday&#33;

you a football fan then? who do you support? (please dont say sheff utd) :huh: [/b][/quote]
I live in DERBY

Need i say more... :D :D

Lamsey
05-13-2003, 02:01 PM
ME is basically Windows Media Player 8 and internet explorer 5.5. That&#39;s the new features you get with it. And movie maker (no words to describe this).
You forgot something.

98 is fairly stable. ME is not.
98 is faster than XP if properly tweaked. ME is not.
98 isn&#39;t riddled with MS cliches. ME is.
98 isn&#39;t totally worthless. ME is.

@MushMush: Check this thread out. (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=17&t=26555)

Buffalo
05-13-2003, 03:19 PM
After using win 98 se for so long i did not wan&#39;t to change, But now after using Xp pro for some time i would not go back.
Xp is a bit hungry, And at first i said it was crap, But i found it was the user, Now we are as one, And it&#39;s great&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Pumpencum/celebs_are_us_n00b.gif

random nut
05-13-2003, 04:58 PM
There&#39;s one thing that XP is worse than Win9x. If you have a program or programs that take up too much processor power you can not close them down by using the Task Manager. The task manager doesn&#39;t get extra CPU time by the OS. With Win98 all you need to do is press ctrl-alt-del once and at most wait a couple of secs then terminate the app you want killed. With XP this may never happen and you may have to reset the computer and lose all your unsaved work&#33;. Has happened to me a couple of times, and did happen today when a debugger caused task manager to slow down to a crawl.

Spindulik
05-13-2003, 06:24 PM
I would choose ME, if I wanted to stay in the stone age with all of those crashes and OS bugs.

Ever wonder why XP came out so quickly, right after ME? Easier for Microsoft to rebuild than to fix.

I recommend XP&#33;

mushmush
05-13-2003, 06:40 PM
Well people....looks like there&#39;s more for xp than against.

So it looks like im going to put xp onto my comp.

The only problem that i have now, is that one of my colleges at work today told me to put xp proffessional onto my comp and not xp corp.....His reason for saying so is cus it has problems with alot of programmes....is this true or is it baloney? :unsure:

P.S I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your feedback,its been very intresting to read and very helpful to me......cheers all ;)

ck-uk
05-13-2003, 07:14 PM
i was just gonna throw one in for ME then aswell :)
even throught i&#39;m usin xppro corp:lol:

i think the corp means u don&#39;t need to avtivate it with micrcsoft or
vice versa :unsure:

Somebody1234
05-13-2003, 07:35 PM
The only problem that i have now, is that one of my colleges at work today told me to put xp proffessional onto my comp and not xp corp.....His reason for saying so is cus it has problems with alot of programmes....is this true or is it baloney?

It&#39;s baloney. The only difference between Pro and Corp is that Corp is already activated. Use the Corp edition.

Get yourself a new Corp key if you intend to install Service Pack 1.

I really don&#39;t understand what the confusion is all about when it comes to XP. XP is the current Microsoft OS. XP has been around for 1.5 years already. I have been using it for all of the 1.5 years. And it&#39;s stable (finally). :)

Win9x is being dropped according to Microsoft. The only reason someone might want to use Windows 98 SE (Not ME) is if your PC is too old to run XP or you want to play some old games that XP won&#39;t run. (not many). <_<

Lamsey
05-13-2003, 09:46 PM
Get yourself a new Corp key if you intend to install Service Pack 1.
DO not pay any attention to the above statement&#33;
Instead check out my verified copy of xp corp with sp1 integrated; it&#39;s pinned at the top of &#39;verified hashes&#39;. There&#39;s also a link in my reply about 7 posts ago.

The only reason someone might want to use Windows 98 SE (Not ME) is if your PC is too old to run XP or you want to play some old games that XP won&#39;t run. (not many).&nbsp;
Or if you want to game but don&#39;t have much RAM&#33;

WinXP kicks ass for stability though - I&#39;ve not had it hang completely on me yet&#33;

ugluk
05-13-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by random nut@13 May 2003 - 18:58
There&#39;s one thing that XP is worse than Win9x. If you have a program or programs that take up too much processor power you can not close them down by using the Task Manager. The task manager doesn&#39;t get extra CPU time by the OS. With Win98 all you need to do is press ctrl-alt-del once and at most wait a couple of secs then terminate the app you want killed. With XP this may never happen and you may have to reset the computer and lose all your unsaved work&#33;. Has happened to me a couple of times, and did happen today when a debugger caused task manager to slow down to a crawl.
that has happend to me too. very annoying. one time when i simply refused to press reset, cause i had not yet saved my work in another program. after ~20 minutes was i able to shut down the faulty program&#33;
soo, if you have ALOT of patience, you might not have to press reset... :ph34r:

this is however the only problem i have had with XP. ;)

Paul_NFFC
05-13-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by mushmush+13 May 2003 - 14:38--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mushmush @ 13 May 2003 - 14:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Paul_NFFC@13 May 2003 - 01:17

Originally posted by -mushmush@12 May 2003 - 18:21
<!--QuoteBegin--Paul_NFFC@12 May 2003 - 18:10

but your choice ;)

anyway good luck on thursday&#33;

you a football fan then? who do you support? (please dont say sheff utd) :huh:
I live in DERBY

Need i say more... :D :D [/b][/quote]
noooooooo..your not a direby fan are you??

forest 3 - 0 derby ;)

Lamsey
05-13-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by ugluk+13 May 2003 - 21:50--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ugluk @ 13 May 2003 - 21:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--random nut@13 May 2003 - 18:58
that has happend to me too. very annoying. one time when i simply refused to press reset, cause i had not yet saved my work in another program. after ~20 minutes was i able to shut down the faulty program&#33;
soo, if you have ALOT of patience, you might not have to press reset... :ph34r:

this is however the only problem i have had with XP. ;) [/b][/quote]
Yeah but if that had been Win98, it might have been a BSOD&#33; :ph34r:

rr_kingozz
05-14-2003, 08:13 AM
Just my 2 cents............... I used ME for 2 years and experienced a regular dose of Blue Screen lock-ups. Finally I learned how to make my own bootable XP Pro Corp, thanx to the great members of this forum. I can tell you that XP is Rock-solid compared to ME. I still need to add some RAM as I currently have only 128mb. But even at that level it runs great when not overloading it with opened programs. XP will also be around for quite some time as the new Microsoft OS that will eventually replace it, isn&#39;t due out untill 2004 or maybe even 2005. That means XP will be the most popular OS for another 3 or 4 years. Windows ME was basically a commercial release that ran on the same 9X platform as 95,98,98SE............. it&#39;s your call.

Ad
05-14-2003, 11:48 AM
First of all I havnt bothered to read all the thread i see it pointless becasue I cant see anyone chosen ME.

Me has a screen saver thats blue in fact its a perment screen saver sometimes

It love telling u that ur doing illigel operations all the time even when your not it funny that it doesnt tell u when u are :lol:

The Crypt Keeper
05-14-2003, 01:25 PM
fix it when its completely broken.. until then leave it

mushmush
05-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Just thought i would let you all know.

I&#39;ve given in to all you xp lovers :D and taken off ME and put on XP.

I&#39;ve not had much time at the moment to play with it ,what little time i have,I&#39;m impressed :rolleyes:

I don&#39;t think i would have had the bottle to put XP onto my comp
if it was not for all the great and much appreciated feedback that i got from this post...Thank you all :)

BigEd35
05-16-2003, 11:09 PM
I have used both, and I have to admit, while using ME, I thought there was no way I would switch to XP, but when it came time for a new puter, I went ahead and made the switch, and I definately do not regret it&#33;