PDA

View Full Version : Default Search, 365days, Not 30day?

Schmiggy_JK23
05-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Okay... If possible, i would like to see the default search setting, set at 365 days, and not 30 for searching the forum.

1. It will help the noobs see every single topic, not just the past 30days, because most people search and dont even think to change the time frame setting

2. Default search for most boards out there, is the full the length of the board, besides the topics that have been deleted of course.

3. Will cut down on REPEAT HASHES and TOPICS... which to me, is the most annoying... how many times have u seen the same hash posted, say 40, days later or something, because someone did search completely for that hash, etc...

so, thats my idea, can we do it?

Rat Faced
05-11-2003, 11:05 PM
And can you see the size of some of those Search Results?

I think 30 is plenty for the 'default' setting.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Then why dont u guys do a better job of getting rid of these "duplicate hashes", or identical topics, merging at a minimum? This would be much less of an issue, if that happened... look today... someone posted a hash i posted over 2 months ago???... and the matrix reloaded threads... what are like 25 saying the same thing, whens it out, where is it, i have it, no its a fake... (thats mainly about the merging, as most of those posts are within the last 30)

if u search specifically, for say a hash, no you wont get that many topics... if you search for the words "i want this", well ya, duh you get alot... its not hard to search specifically.

see what im saying?

Curley
05-11-2003, 11:22 PM
They can't be here 24 hours a day, plus they've got their work cut out with the amount of people registering lately :)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
05-11-2003, 11:22 PM
;) Ummm there is a arrow there where you can change it too 365 days instead of 30.One click is not that hard is it?

Schmiggy_JK23
05-11-2003, 11:33 PM
DUH! we obviously know this funky... but we arent the ones doing the noob stuff either... thats what im saying...

you do see those posts, or repeat hashes from regulars, cuz we know how to do that... and thus do it...

but the new people just assume, that, "oh, this search probably covers the boards whole history, and i dont see it, so ill post it"...

think about it...

and what would it really hurt anyhow? seriously? most people who search, use detailed enough searches, etc...

Schmiggy_JK23
05-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Curley@11 May 2003 - 18:22
They can't be here 24 hours a day, plus they've got their work cut out with the amount of people registering lately :)
awwww.... *kiss kiss*

im sure they are happy to hear that from you...

however... 24 hours a day, they arent expected to do that... obviously, that would be absured, so lets not exaggerate here.

But this stuff goes on for days at times, etc... without being fixed... not just in a day....

Jibbler
05-12-2003, 12:12 AM
Schmiggy, we need 24/7 mods just to keep KillaSin off the boards. :lol: :lol: But seriously, the default 30 days is too short. Maybe extend it to 60 or so. In most cases, there really aren't alot of search results, assuming of course, that you choose a specific forum to search, like the verifieds or something. :huh:

Schmiggy_JK23
05-12-2003, 01:22 AM
ya, or even 90 days... why 30 and 365... thats crazy... ,the board hasnt even been up 365... but thats the 2nd option? doesnt make sense... a default of 90, or 60, whould help cut down on repeats.

kAb
05-12-2003, 01:32 AM
30 is bad.

n00bs will search, and not see that there was a topic about it. they won't know to search past 30 days.

Schmiggy_JK23
05-12-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by kAb@11 May 2003 - 20:32
30 is bad.

n00bs will search, and not see that there was a topic about it. they won't know to search past 30 days.
I know, I know... maybe we need to go right to paul with this...

its so obvious, i dont know why any one hasnt thought of it yet...

Jibbler
05-12-2003, 03:38 AM
I've also noticed, that after posting hashes for a new file, something just released, it takes about 30 days for the files to circulate enough for people to get them without having to jump node to node. So after 30 days, the first set of hashes can't be found without extending the search criteria. Houston, we have a problem. :huh: :huh: :huh:

Skillian
05-12-2003, 03:47 AM
That's a good point about taking 30 days for the files to spread. Hopefully when the verifieds database comes about it should solve all these problems.

ShareDaddy
05-12-2003, 03:48 AM
How about changing it for newbies only, change the search criteria to 365 for someone who is a noob and leave the 30 day settings for all others. Just a thought, not sure if it can be done with our current software, but is something that would be beneficial as I can see where the 30 day window is a hinderance for noobs, that is certainly a good point.

RealitY
05-12-2003, 04:09 AM
Going Once,
Going Twice,

And the WINNER is 90 :D

Quick, get Paul on the phone. :rolleyes:

Schmiggy_JK23
05-12-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Skillian@11 May 2003 - 22:47
That's a good point about taking 30 days for the files to spread. Hopefully when the verifieds database comes about it should solve all these problems.
is that really gonna happen? last thread i read on it seemed to die about two weeks ago...?

and yes... 90 seems great. often even i search by 365, cuz when i search its for rare things, or threads, cuz i know where the common stuff is... so i see no reason to not increase the default

Skillian
05-12-2003, 04:19 AM
is that really gonna happen? last thread i read on it seemed to die about two weeks ago...?

It should do, there's a pinned about looking for developers for it in the development area. It'll probably be a while though if it does happen, so 60 - 90 days sounds like a good idea to me.

edit: well it was pinned but not anymore. There are some recent replies on it though.

RealitY
05-12-2003, 04:29 AM
Has anyone used http://www.kazaalinkz.com/ yet, lOOks interesting.