PDA

View Full Version : Were the americans more freer after the American Revolution

NeoTheOne
11-05-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm doing an essay in history class, and the question is Were the Americans more freer after the American Revolution. Think as if you are in the early years after the revolution and not 2006.

Yes, No? any points?

I am thinking about going with Yes, they are more free because , now they don't have to pay taxes, they can make their own goverment and rules , and at last they can live in society own their own terms.

For the taxes point i can write that this was one of the reasons the A.R happened , and now that they have won the war , they don't have to pay taxes on items which the Stamp Act , or the different acts enforced.

For the Own Government point , i was thinking of writing that now that they are a seperate entity from Britain, they can make and enforce they own rules and regulations. For example the works of the Constitution, they can now get together and decide on what the constitution should state.

However I do not know what to write for living in society on their own terms, can anyone give me any advice?

100%
11-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Quicky - "more freer " is a double positive, "more free" is muchmore correcter.
Most of your essay will probably be discussing what "FREE" is.
good luck cause it is not an easy task.

vidcc
11-05-2006, 08:38 PM
They freed themselves from foreign rule to create self rule so they could be said to be more free in that sense and on the whole I would say that home rule always trumps outside rule where one has no say. But what kind of freedom did they gain? Could everyone vote?
I think it was Thomas Jefferson that said, "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%"
The bill of rights was written to try to prevent but has over time failed in many ways.

So defining what freedom is and who benefitted at the time will probably be the hardest task. One man's freedom is often another man's oppression.

j2k4
11-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm doing an essay in history class, and the question is Were the Americans more freer after the American Revolution. Think as if you are in the early years after the revolution and not 2006.

Yes, No? any points?

I am thinking about going with Yes, they are more free because , now they don't have to pay taxes, they can make their own goverment and rules , and at last they can live in society own their own terms.

For the taxes point i can write that this was one of the reasons the A.R happened , and now that they have won the war , they don't have to pay taxes on items which the Stamp Act , or the different acts enforced.

For the Own Government point , i was thinking of writing that now that they are a seperate entity from Britain, they can make and enforce they own rules and regulations. For example the works of the Constitution, they can now get together and decide on what the constitution should state.

However I do not know what to write for living in society on their own terms, can anyone give me any advice?

Would your History teacher give your otherwise sterling sketch a demerit for mentioning their religious compulsion?

It played as big a role as any other.

j2k4
11-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Quicky - "more freer " is a double positive, "more free" is muchmore correcter.
Most of your essay will probably be discussing what "FREE" is.
good luck cause it is not an easy task.

Quickier-your last sentence does not parse well at all, owing to your failure to properly mangle the word "because".

MagicNakor
11-05-2006, 11:04 PM

Well, the slaves weren't.

:shuriken:

j2k4
11-06-2006, 03:12 AM

My, my, picky-picky. :whistling

clocker
11-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm doing an essay in history class, and the question is Were the Americans more freer after the American Revolution....

They weren't Americans.

bigboab
11-06-2006, 10:00 PM

They weren't Americans.

Neither were the 'Americans' a bunch of drunken rabble rousing ex convicts etc.:P

Some of them today would chase a bit of skirt halfway across the globe. They wont accept rejection.:whistling

Busyman™
11-06-2006, 10:48 PM

They weren't Americans.

Yes, yes that was covered. They were slaves. In fact slaves regarded as being human either.

So uhh...were the slaves freer?

j2k4
11-07-2006, 12:21 AM
They weren't Americans.

Neither were the 'Americans' a bunch of drunken rabble rousing ex convicts etc.:P

Some of them today would chase a bit of skirt halfway across the globe. They wont accept rejection.:whistling

You've mistaken us for the Aussies, I fear. :dabs:

j2k4
11-07-2006, 12:22 AM
In fact slaves regarded as being human either.

Please fix this, it is defying my parse.

Busyman™
11-07-2006, 02:38 AM

Well that's just too bad. If you can't make that out then you need an upgrade to average.

j2k4
11-07-2006, 02:49 AM

Well that's just too bad. If you can't make that out then you need an upgrade to average.

Really.

Busyman can't suss his own post; I don't wonder why.

Anyone else want to take a run at this?

Busyman™
11-07-2006, 02:52 AM

Really.

Busyman can't suss his own post; I don't wonder why.

Anyone else want to take a run at this?

No Busy wasn't referring to Busy. The use of the word 'you' may help....since your parse was defied and all.:wacko:

100%
11-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Since "freedom" seems to be the most vital priority for all Americans, then how come usa is not a raging anarchy?

bigboab
11-07-2006, 08:27 AM

You've mistaken us for the Aussies, I fear. :dabs:

Where did you think we sent rabble rousers before we discovered Australia.:whistling

bigboab
11-07-2006, 09:20 AM
They weren't Americans.

Yes, yes that was covered. They were slaves. In fact slaves regarded as being human either.

Hi Busy.:) Did you mean 'In fact slaves were not regarded as being human either'.

If so, I am sure that was the case. Reading between the lines of various publications I am under the impression that coloured people are still treated like this. Especially in some areas of the south.:(

Barbarossa
11-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Are the Americans more freer now? :blink:

j2k4
11-07-2006, 10:57 AM

Hi Busy.:) Did you mean 'In fact slaves were not regarded as being human either'.

If so, I am sure that was the case. Reading between the lines of various publications I am under the impression that coloured people are still treated like this. Especially in some areas of the south.:(

Thank you, Robert.

I am inclined to grant him every opportunity to address his own faux pas, but he seems oddly attached to these periodic malaprops and is loathe to give them up easily.

Contrary to popular belief, there are no slaves left, and, while there are several pockets of extreme ignorance wherein are found people with skinheads and wrong ideas, the pointy hat crowd no longer exists.

Skiz
11-07-2006, 11:07 AM
the pointy hat crowd no longer exists.

You've never been to Texas. :ermm:

bigboab
11-07-2006, 12:46 PM
J2 meant the hats are pointy, not the heads.:rolleyes:

Busyman
11-07-2006, 03:56 PM

No there are no more slaves.

Also, kudos for the sentence in bold. You used sentence context to easily figure out my obvious (and accidental) omission. I'm sure your parse wasn't defied either.

Busyman
11-07-2006, 03:58 PM

Thank you, Robert.

I am inclined to grant him every opportunity to address his own faux pas, but he seems oddly attached to these periodic malaprops and is loathe to give them up easily.

Contrary to popular belief, there are no slaves left, and, while there are several pockets of extreme ignorance wherein are found people with skinheads and wrong ideas, the pointy hat crowd no longer exists.

The pointy hat crowd doesn't exist? Have you been living in a cave?

:glag: (pockets of extreme ignorance)

j2k4
11-07-2006, 09:15 PM
the pointy hat crowd no longer exists.

You've never been to Texas. :ermm:

The Klan still wears the hats?

Last white-goods-on-parade I saw was in Forsythe County, Georgia, just outside of Cumming, in about 1978.

I'm quite sure the Klan still exists, here and there, and I wouldn't be surprised they were in Texas.

Their numbers are dwindling, I'm sure, and they in no way constitute the norm.

There will still be a Klan remnant a century from now, too.

So what?

j2k4
11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Also, kudos for the sentence in bold. You used sentence context to easily figure out my obvious (and accidental) omission. I'm sure your parse wasn't defied either.

Then you revel in willful ignorance just for me?

I'm touched.

Busyman™
11-08-2006, 02:22 AM

I'm touched.

Making up revelment is not your strong point. You're as transparent as the meat behind your eyes.

j2k4
11-08-2006, 03:24 AM

I'm touched.

Making up revelment is not your strong point. You're as transparent as the meat behind your eyes.

Gee whiz, you've stumped me again.

How do you do it. :whistling

Busyman™
11-08-2006, 03:37 AM

Revelment is there just for you.:smilie4:

For the stumption.

j2k4
11-08-2006, 11:01 AM

For the stumption.

Ah.

Your gibberish is intentional, then.

Well done.

Busyman
11-08-2006, 05:26 PM

For the stumption.

Ah.

Your gibberish is intentional, then.

Well done.

Again, just for you and thanx.

Pleased to be defiling your parsement.

lynx
11-09-2006, 08:28 PM
They replaced a king who had no powers with a president who did.

Of course they were freer. :ermm:

j2k4
11-09-2006, 10:19 PM

Yes, that is simpler, and your implication is revealing...:yup:

Busyman™
11-10-2006, 01:06 AM

Riiight so we stopped being a brat flunkie.

Fine by me. We only have one flunkie area left and that's Washington D.C.

Hmmm, maybe congress can jump on the common sense wagon and make DC a state now. It's still funny seeing DC made license plates saying, "Taxation Without Representation".:lol:

Btw, are we the only country that fought to come from under the brat's boots?

j2k4
11-10-2006, 02:44 AM
Hmmm, maybe congress can jump on the common sense wagon and make DC a state now. It's still funny seeing DC made license plates saying, "Taxation Without Representation".:lol:

Read this.

http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/dc-in-maryland.html

Busyman™
11-10-2006, 02:55 AM

Read this.

http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/dc-in-maryland.html

It's funny that after I posted, I read this while on the shitter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/08/AR2006110802407.html

Good link, btw. Somehow they should be represented in congress.

As to the reasons against DC statehood, the author cites 3. and 4. as reasons when they are not.

Saying that DC statehood drives have failed in the past or that Maryland never intended for DC to be a state are not reasons for DC not to be a state.:blink:

ram82082
11-16-2006, 11:11 PM
id say no ppl are not freer(is that really a word, looks weird). pre-civil war, folks could do pretty much what they wanted, depending on region. we ARE free from english rule though. i see alotta debate in class about this.

as far as DC. i think it should be a state and represented in the capital. havin lived there for a few years. i can say that the REAL city(not penn ave or smithsonian...) is misrepresented. DC is dirty n has tooooo much crime, its population should have a voice in congress. im back in philly now and id be pissed if we had no represetation.

Who overseas DC, besides the mayor neway since they dont have a gov.?

Busyman™
11-16-2006, 11:15 PM
id say no ppl are not freer(is that really a word, looks weird). pre-civil war, folks could do pretty much what they wanted, depending on region. we ARE free from english rule though. i see alotta debate in class about this.

as far as DC. i think it should be a state and represented in the capital. havin lived there for a few years. i can say that the REAL city(not penn ave or smithsonian...) is misrepresented. DC is dirty n has tooooo much crime, its population should have a voice in congress. im back in philly now and id be pissed if we had no represetation.

Who overseas DC, besides the mayor neway since they dont have a gov.?

The mayor

The DC Council

Congress

Btw, a Republican President or Repub Congress would never sign off on DC voting bill.

DC is heavily black and Democrat.

After Adrian Fenty won in the primary for mayor, everyone called him the mayor. Some poor white guy was running on the Republican side.

Adrian Fenty got 98% of the vote.:dabs:

Obviously, race and party play and big part in politics. In the TV show, The Wire, it has the mayoral race of Baltimore and had Carcetti (based on former mayor and now governor, O'Malley) going up against a black incumbent.

A big deal is made about a white guy winning in Baltimore....yet he did.

After Carcetti won the primary, he was already assumed to be the mayor since it was preposterous that a Repub would win.

Good stuff.

ram82082
11-17-2006, 12:23 AM
thats my point exacty Busy, DC will never be a state or a real city. It will continue to be a district. Which is The most retared thing, how the hell can you capital not even be in a state? I know the politicians dont want the poor, black and in-need ppl of DC to have a say. But who operates the shredders or takes out the trash, mops the floors of your illustrious capital building. "Politics as Usual", i got bout 2 more years till i got enuff $, then im gone.

anyone how hard it is to get citizenship in countries like spain, canada etc(more liberal countries)

didnt even kno carcetti was based on a real guy, how'd the real 1 do?

Busyman™
11-17-2006, 12:51 AM
thats my point exacty Busy, DC will never be a state or a real city. It will continue to be a district. Which is The most retared thing, how the hell can you capital not even be in a state? I know the politicians dont want the poor, black and in-need ppl of DC to have a say. But who operates the shredders or takes out the trash, mops the floors of your illustrious capital building. "Politics as Usual", i got bout 2 more years till i got enuff $, then im gone.

anyone how hard it is to get citizenship in countries like spain, canada etc(more liberal countries)

didnt even kno carcetti was based on a real guy, how'd the real 1 do?

(based on former mayor and now governor, O'Malley)

:unsure:

But who operates the shredders or takes out the trash, mops the floors of your illustrious capital building.

I dunno. You tell me.

ram82082
11-17-2006, 01:15 AM
i meant how'd he do with baltimore not the election.... ie did he make a positive impact?

as far as the shredder operators, trashmen and janitors. it wood be those black democrats of which u spoke

Busyman™
11-17-2006, 02:52 AM
i meant how'd he do with baltimore not the election.... ie did he make a positive impact?

as far as the shredder operators, trashmen and janitors. it wood be those black democrats of which u spoke

I have no idea who operates the shredders, takes out the trash, and are the janitors at the Capitol.

I guess you assume them to be black Democrats.:blink:

I don't know if O'Malley made a positive impact. Even though Baltimore is just 30 miles away, I don't keep up with their politics, murder rate, education system, etc.

I go to Baltimore for:

The aquarium

The harbor

The zoo

The drive-in movie theater

The flea market

....and that is all.

ram82082
11-17-2006, 03:42 AM
im not assuming, do u really think a young white repub is out on the side of a trash truck in DC? come on dude

Busyman™
11-19-2006, 06:00 AM
im not assuming, do u really think a young white repub is out on the side of a trash truck in DC? come on dude

Yes and you are assuming, quite obviously.