PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Sony DVD Writer & ROM

Mantorok
11-06-2006, 08:10 PM
When I bought my pc I had a Sony DVD Writer, DW-Q28A (master) and a Sony DVD ROM DDU1615 (slave).
My DVD Writer broke so I bought a new one, Sony DW-G120A. I set it to master, just like the broken one I removed was set.
When I started my pc (Windows XP Media Center Edition) the new drive got recognised but the DVD ROM which was working fine before and which I didn’t even touch is not recognised anymore. I checked for loose cables but that isnt the problem. Any ideas on whats causing the problem?
Thanks!

clocker
11-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Were they perhaps set to "cable select" instead of master/slave?

lynx
11-06-2006, 11:51 PM
I agree with clocker. Set both drives to cable select and they should be ok.

BTW, Sony drives seem to break regularly, I'm surprised you got another after the first one broke.

Virtualbody1234
11-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Also check the power connector (try another one).

I don't like the Sony drives either. :snooty:

Mantorok
11-07-2006, 12:01 AM
i'll try setting both to cable select
maybe I should exchange the drive and get a different one?
whats a good drive (burner)? any suggestions?

Virtualbody1234
11-07-2006, 12:08 AM
I would try another IDE cable before replacing the drive.

NEC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152075

or

LG: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136103

Mantorok
11-07-2006, 08:03 PM
setting both to cable select didnt help either. same result :-(

Virtualbody1234
11-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Does you old drive get detected if you disconnect the new one?

Mantorok
11-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Yes, I just have to pull the plug on the new one and the old one works again!

clocker
11-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Does the new one get recognized if the old one is disconnected?
Try both drives (one at a time, obviously) jumpered as master and plugged into the end of the cable.
If they work individually, that eliminates the drives themselves as the culprit.

This PC isn't a Dell perchance, with Roxio installed, is it?

Edit: When both drives were installed did they show up in BIOS?

Mantorok
11-08-2006, 10:59 AM
The drives work wherever I place them as long as both are not plugged in together (As soon as the new one is plugged in it kind of sucks out the life of the old one). This is weird...

The PC is a Sony RC202.
It does have Roxio installed however.

Edit:
I just bought a new DVD ROM drive and replaced the old one (so its 2 new drives now). Then everything works as it should.
Somehow the old / new combination seems to be incompatible. How can that be though?

clocker
11-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Somehow the old / new combination seems to be incompatible. How can that be though?
Who knows?
Hardware/software incompatability is just a mysterious fact of life- you're lucky your fix was as cheap and easy as it turned out to be.

lynx
11-08-2006, 11:54 AM
The drives work wherever I place them as long as both are not plugged in together (As soon as the new one is plugged in it kind of sucks out the life of the old one). This is weird...Ah, you must have Sony Vampire drives.

The PC is a Sony RC202.
It does have Roxio installed however.I suspect (but can't prove) that there's something basically wrong with the combination of Roxio software and Sony drives. I had a Sony drive, I upgraded the firmware and the system refused to boot (even into safe mode) because of an incompatibility with a driver (part of DirectCD on W2K) which M$ had installed in conjunction with Roxio. Disabling the driver was the only solution, and it wasn't easy.

The drive stopped working not long after that with problems identical to those you mentioned in your initial post. Do I believe it has some connection with Sony's root-kit type of software? You betcha.

The result is that I haven't touched anything to do with Sony or Roxio since.

Virtualbody1234
11-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Just curious. Why do you need a DVD ROM drive when you have a DVD burner?

clocker
11-08-2006, 01:01 PM
I suspect (but can't prove) that there's something basically wrong with the combination of Roxio software and Sony drives...
The result is that I haven't touched anything to do with Sony or Roxio since.
Since last summer I've seen issues similar to this with Dells that come preloaded with Roxio software.
The last one (just yesterday, in fact) did have two Sony drives but I honestly can't remember if the previous ones did.

The fix (workaround?) involves editing the registry to remove the "upper and lower filters" (whatever the fuck they are) that Roxio (I believe) installs.
This completely solves the problem of drives not being recognized or Windows being unable to load drivers (so much for PnP, eh?).

That said, I too avoid Sony parts like the plague and have never seen this problem occur with Nero software, so I'm leery of Roxio as well.