PDA

View Full Version : Best way to learn standard....

Smith
11-16-2006, 03:01 AM
My uncle taught me the basics in his little asian car..I still suck..its hard getting it rolling. MY parents are buying me a car in the next month or so and I want standard. Whats the best way to learn? Driving it around my neighborhood until I get the hang of it..or am I going to kill the transmission doing that.

I ALWAYS hit the clutch..I dont always remember to shift :P

Proper Bo
11-16-2006, 03:04 AM
Standard?

Wolfmight
11-16-2006, 03:04 AM
Find a good parking lot to practice in.

Drivers Ed is pretty annoying yes, but after 20 sessions, you should have the hang of it.

Proper Bo
11-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Do you mean manual?

Alien5
automatic is for n00bs

Proper Bo
Just keep practicing, it's a piece of piss.

JordoR
11-16-2006, 03:07 AM
Practice makes perfect when it comes to learning standard. I started out on my dads vette so it was a bit nerve racking at first because of the power, and i didn't want to wreck anything on it. :lol:

But yeah it's best at first to just learn in an empty parking lot, and usually once you can get the car rolling without using any gas (clutch only), it will come easier after that.

Smith
11-16-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm not suppose to use gas to get it rolling?

JordoR
11-16-2006, 03:25 AM
I'm not suppose to use gas to get it rolling?

Nope. Actually when you drive standard its the reverse, your supposed to use the brake to get it rolling. And don't be surprised when your car suddenly shuts off, that just means you did it right.:lol:

But on a serious note, yes your supposed to use gas to get it rolling. But like you said if it's hard to get it rolling, once you learn to do it without gas by just easing the clutch, you will be better at the timing and doing it with gas will come natural.

GepperRankins
11-16-2006, 03:29 AM
blame the car :smilie4:

Alien5
11-16-2006, 03:31 AM
why?

because...im your friend

fuck off

internet.news
11-16-2006, 03:36 AM
You created that penguin to represent you. You lost then found it. When he was gone you changed your name and plants and when he was looking for you he walked past..

easy life for you sure.. I mean, a psychiatrist may say you were the penguin..

..I'm not gonna leave it so prosaic - just becasue it fits doesn't mean you have to eat penguin soup and in fact I would be disgusted if you did :snooty:

peat moss
11-16-2006, 05:23 AM
Start off on a hill you'll get the hang of it real quick . Thats the only hard part really ,think of the clutch and gas pedal as a seesaw and your on your way .

clocker
11-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Learning to operate a manual transmission is definitely an "AHA!" experience.
Completely mystifying and seemingly impossible (much like riding a bicycle really) until you finally get it right and then it's a piece o cake.
All of my cars have been stick shift and, on the rare occasion when I must drive an automatic, my left leg reflexively twitches, in search of something to do.

hanashian
11-17-2006, 03:51 PM
geez... i really admire u guys.. I'm 20 and coming to 21 soon, yet i still don't know how to drive... When can i get the time to do that.. Ohh...

brenda
11-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I was going to say "WTF is standard" but Bo beat me to it

then when I realised what you meant I was going to say that it's a piece of piss

worrying

Proper Bo
11-17-2006, 10:36 PM
You think like me, you're a clevar lady:smilie4:

Biggles
11-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Learning to operate a manual transmission is definitely an "AHA!" experience.
Completely mystifying and seemingly impossible (much like riding a bicycle really) until you finally get it right and then it's a piece o cake.
All of my cars have been stick shift and, on the rare occasion when I must drive an automatic, my left leg reflexively twitches, in search of something to do.

Teaching No 1 son to drive and it is proving to be interesting (in that he sucks at it). He was baffled as to why we use manuals rather than automatics - the only thing I could think of was that it would be too easy - he just gave me one those teenage "looks". I tried to explain that manual cars are more fun and macho but I could tell he was unconvinced. So we shall play kangaroos a while more. I was think about changing my car but I have decided against it for the moment :ermm: and SGG will able to drive in a few months although she says she does not want to. (That may be wise given her inclination to make a bee line for the biggest fastest ride in the theme park and then, with insane grin, immediately re-join the queue once she is off.)

JPaul
11-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Oh ffs

Dip the clutch and put the car in first gear.

Slowly lift the clutch (leave the gas alone) and you will hear/feel the biting point. If you don't recognise it get a fucking bus, the car is talking to you.

Give it a wee bit of gas and then continue lifting the clutch pedal.

Practice that and then you will know how to pull away in a car. Then learn how to co-ordinate how to let the hand brake of just after the biting point, when the engine is holding the car stationary.

How fucking difficult is that.

Biggles
11-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Oh ffs

Dip the clutch and put the car in first gear.

Slowly lift the clutch (leave the gas alone) and you will hear/feel the biting point. If you don't recognise it get a fucking bus, the car is talking to you.

Give it a wee bit of gas and then continue lifting the clutch pedal.

Practice that and then you will know how to pull away in a car. Then learn how to co-ordinate how to let the hand brake of just after the biting point, when the engine is holding the car stationary.

How fucking difficult is that.

:lol:

I have not taken quite that tack in my lessons although the fundamentals are the same.

JPaul
11-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Next I'm doing changing gear 101 and basic use of engine retardation when slowing down.

gamer4eva
11-18-2006, 12:42 AM
The best way to learn is to go in like a big car park area at night and just practice there lol!!!!! So you can't really damage anyone.

Panther
11-18-2006, 01:08 AM
I learnt on airstrips and emtpy roads but I guess you in the big world have a bit more traffic... :)

peat moss
11-18-2006, 04:24 AM
Next I'm doing changing gear 101 and basic use of engine retardation when slowing down.

Well my dear friend will it have an North American version ? :lol: Drive on right side of road ,shift with right hand . :blink: I'm confused please don't throw in a round about too ! :shutup: