PDA

View Full Version : CPU Fan speeds up during gameplay

S!X
11-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I have an AMD X2 4200+ and it all of sudden speeds up pretty loud and stays that way right in the middle of playing DOD:S, This has never happened before and I don't know why its happening now. I'm thinking of maybe getting a new CPU cooler to replace the stock one, but my case is so bloody crammed I dunno if any good after market coolers will fit. :dabs:

S!X
11-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Im beginning to think maybe its due to the heat in my case, the case is so crammed with shit and I dont think theres any other way I can rearrange the PSU cables and whatnot to better increase the airflow.

Virtualbody1234
11-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Check your CPU heatsink. I suspect it needs cleaning.

manofstyle
11-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Download and run a program called SpeedFan, it will tell you the temps and allow you to control the fans.

It may help to get a quite CPU cooler like one of Zalmans models if the noise is a problem. I use the Zalman 9500 series and am very happy with it - cool temps and silent operation.

manofstyle
11-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Check your CPU heatsink. I suspect it needs cleaning.

Yes this is probably a good idea. Get a bottle of "canned air" and blast the dust off everything thoroughly, including your PSU.

S!X
11-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Alright, I'll have to pickup a can or 2 tomorrow.... hopefully it helps :mellow:

tesco
11-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Just see what your temp is.
I bet it's speeding up to keep the cpu cool during games when it gets hotter.
It's pretty obvious that that's what's happening, actually. :dabs:

Sneakydave
11-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Alright, I'll have to pickup a can or 2 tomorrow.... hopefully it helps :mellow:

just take the heatsink off and use a hairdrier... cheaper and easier

mr. nails
11-19-2006, 10:23 PM
I have an AMD X2 4200+ and it all of sudden speeds up pretty loud and stays that way right in the middle of playing DOD:S, This has never happened before and I don't know why its happening now. I'm thinking of maybe getting a new CPU cooler to replace the stock one, but my case is so bloody crammed I dunno if any good after market coolers will fit. :dabs:

if ur shit is crammed i recommend this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106068) one.

otherwise, this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223) one is the best on the market!

S!X
11-20-2006, 12:05 AM

Yeah, but how come its never happend before? IT just started doin all of a sudden...:unsure: :frusty:

mr. nails
11-20-2006, 12:14 AM

Yeah, but how come its never happend before? IT just started doin all of a sudden...:unsure: :frusty:

as stated be4. maybe ur hsf is clogged with dust making it work harder than it has in the past. there's also the possibility that maybe ur hsf is going out.

S!X
11-20-2006, 12:27 AM
Id like to get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 pro but it looks quite big, for room that I dont have :dry:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17226&vpn=FREEZER-64-PRO&manufacture=Arctic%20Cooling

Seedler
11-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Just take everything outside your case, and hang them out your bedroom window.

It's almost winter, and that should chill all your parts nicely here in Canadia.

S!X
11-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Well I went out and got a $11.26 can of that "Fellowers Air Duster" stuff and it seems to have done the trick. Surprising there wasn't much dust in the heatsink.

S!X
11-22-2006, 04:23 AM
Sorry for the double posting, I'm thinking of getting that freezer 64 tomorrow but I dunno if its gonna fit, I'm gonna try and post pics of the inside of my comp tomorrow. If it wont fit I'll just take it back or keep it for a rainy day :blink:

Virtualbody1234
11-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Why? I thought you just said "that "Fellowers Air Duster" stuff and it seems to have done the trick."

S!X
11-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Why? I thought you just said "that "Fellowers Air Duster" stuff and it seems to have done the trick."

Well its dropped a bit in price and I've been wanting one for a long time now. It should be a lot better then this stock no name HSF. :dabs:

lynx
11-23-2006, 12:05 PM
If the one you've got is the plain old block of alu then changing it could be a good idea on the 4200s.

The later HSF with built-in heatpipe seems to do a fine job. It still speeds up when constantly running flat out, but that's the idea of cool'n'quiet technology and it still isn't noisy.

clocker
11-23-2006, 02:03 PM
The later HSF with built-in heatpipe seems to do a fine job. It still speeds up when constantly running flat out, but that's the idea of cool'n'quiet technology and it still isn't noisy.
Really?
I've got two of the stock AMD heatpiped sinks and found both of them to completely obnoxious at full tilt.
On my sister's build I replaced it with a Zalman 7700 I had laying around which was infinitely quieter while providing more than adequate performance.
I'm assembling a new PC for my Mom's Xmas present and am trying the stock sink yet again but so far find it horribly loud.

You want a pair of heatpiped AMD sinks?
I'll let em go cheap....