PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Best Firewall

MetroStars
05-13-2003, 01:18 PM
I was just wondering whati s the best FireWall to use...

Iam running Windows XP pro edition so i don't know if i need a firewall or what but any way i would like to knw what kind of fire wall you computer experts use..

Thanks and take it easy

m8t
05-13-2003, 01:56 PM
:D
hi there !
i don't know about the experts. but Norton System Works has an excellant firewall(available on K++) XP firewall would not do the complete job once you get personal firewall uninstall XP firewall as well.
regards
m8t :D

TRshady
05-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by m8t@13 May 2003 - 13:56
but Norton System Works has an excellant firewall(available on K++)
correction: Norton systemworks does not contain "norton firewall".

I use zonealarm as it uses little resources and is very effective.

ripley02
05-13-2003, 02:05 PM
i am in the process of downloading a firewall myself. i've heard a lot of positive feedback about zonealarm firewalls so that's what i'll be using

TRshady
05-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by ripley02@13 May 2003 - 14:05
i am in the process of downloading a firewall myself. i've heard a lot of positive feedback about zonealarm firewalls so that's what i'll be using
your'll be fine with that.

IMO, norton has the best protection possible but its disadvantages are to bad to comprimise.

MetroStars
05-13-2003, 02:12 PM
TRshady is right Norton systemworks does not contain "norton firewall" i just found that out

Buffalo
05-13-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by MetroStars@13 May 2003 - 13:18
I was just wondering whati s the best FireWall to use...

Iam running Windows XP pro edition so i don't know if i need a firewall or what but any way i would like to knw what kind of fire wall you computer experts use..

Thanks and take it easy
Hi Ya, I use Sygate, And i have for a long time now, It's free, And it works fine.
Things scratch to get in And things scratch to get out, You can allso test it from the Sygate web site, Go on it's free!!!!
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Pumpencum/celebs_are_us_n00b.gif

TRshady
05-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by CELEBS_ARE_US@13 May 2003 - 14:34
Hi Ya, I use Sygate, And i have for a long time now, It's free, And it works fine.
Things scratch to get in And things scratch to get out, You can allso test it from the Sygate web site, Go on it's free!!!!
:lol: , testing a firewall at its manufacturers site.
Not saying it's bad though. Having a firewall and the xp activated and you can't go wrong.

@metrostars: I'm always right, my reputation depends on that. :D

sandrathom60
05-13-2003, 04:15 PM
I use Sygate. It's simple and easy to use. None of the GUI crap of Norton or BlackIceDefender. If you turn off some of those dozens of "services" in XP Pro your application list won't look like a New York City phonebook.

ricky
05-13-2003, 04:18 PM
i would recommend norton firewall

the-ninja69
05-13-2003, 11:35 PM
BlackIce. Provides great protection and easy to use highly customizleable.

King_Annoying
05-13-2003, 11:52 PM
As many people have said use Zone Alarm as a firewall it is simple to use and relatively good protection.

But do also use NSW 2003. It will catch virus's such as W32-Nimba.M@mm that can exploit open shares on your computer even if you do have Zone Alarm.

4play
05-14-2003, 12:19 AM
Whats The Best Firewall, Help a tramp out

the best firewall would have to be a hardware one. but for software firewalls they are all pretty much the same.

agnitum outpost is my favourite

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-14-2003, 03:14 AM
I used to love Black Ice But I had to uninstall it 2 days ago as it was causing major disk errors.(cluster losses)
I ran it for months with little problems then all of a sudden it started to conflict with norton and I eventually had to reformat.
Also there were leaks. :o
Things did get through when it was'nt supposed to.
Go here and dl leakTest from Gibson Research
http://grc.com/default.htm
They have all kinds of stuff to test your firewall. ;)
Also problems have recently been discoverd with Black Ice and pulled from some dl sites.
Ask Balamm if you want more info!

I wish they would fix it because I really rather would run it instead of ZAP.

balamm
05-14-2003, 03:23 AM
Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

the-ninja69
05-14-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@13 May 2003 - 20:14
I used to love Black Ice But I had to uninstall it 2 days ago as it was causing major disk errors.(cluster losses)
I ran it for months with little problems then all of a sudden it started to conflict with norton and I eventually had to reformat.
Things did get through when it was'nt supposed to.
Also problems have recently been discoverd with Black Ice and pulled from some dl sites.
Ask Balamm if you want more info!

Ok i dont know wtf your talking about. Maybe this has only happen to you. But all my friends and I who use BlackIce have never had these problems you discovered. Whatever happen to you must be rare.

Disk Errors. WTF!!!! and you had to reformat you must have one fu*cked up comp seriosuly. I think you are giving Blackice a bad name because it is a great product and seems error free to me.

Also most hackers i know agree that BlackIce is the best to use from protections. ZAP has a lot of holes and easy to get through so if you want to know what protects you best against ppl who do this to you i would surely go with BlackIce.

DEFINATELY NOW ZAP. Go with NPF 2003 if you have to.

balamm
05-14-2003, 04:41 AM
Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

p_funk
05-14-2003, 04:42 AM
I use Sygate Pro and works fine never had any problems with it, so I can suggest it from personal use. And I also hear alot of good things about Zone Alarm, I am thinking about trying it out myself. You know it is funny that you talk so highly of Black Icesince alot of sites do not offer it as a dl anymore, because it is full of holes. :beerchug:

balamm
05-14-2003, 05:10 AM
Mark Twain

dgmortal
05-14-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by TRshady@13 May 2003 - 08:58
correction: Norton systemworks does not contain "norton firewall".
yep.....its norton internet security that has norton personal firewall in it ;)

echidna
05-14-2003, 06:00 AM
thanx for the tip i just tested black ice and found that indeed the outgoing protections are non existant

now that i know i've gotta choose between sygate and zonealarm
i used to use zonealarm and found it's interface a bit lame and am sick of nortons huge behemoth applications
so maybe sygate

dragon_son
05-14-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by balamm@14 May 2003 - 04:41
!

2003-05-13 07:59:08 24.27.172.150 - **.**.**.** 80 GET /default.ida
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3
%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u007
8%u0000%u00=a 200 -

Thanks to Our friends at roadrunner.com again NOT
:unsure:

explain for us non code readers

though i have a good idea of what it might be

Rip The Jacker
05-14-2003, 06:49 AM
I recommend Sygate Personal Firewall. Free, Small, Easy to use. :)

Icebound
05-14-2003, 06:55 AM
symantec intruder alert 3.6
corporate, of course ;)

N£MO
05-14-2003, 07:25 AM
Norton Personal Firewall 2003 for me. :D

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-14-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by the-ninja69+14 May 2003 - 04:54--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the-ninja69 @ 14 May 2003 - 04:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ShockAndAwe^i^@13 May 2003 - 20:14
Things did get through when it was&#39;nt supposed to.
Ask Balamm if you want more info&#33;

Ok i dont know wtf your talking about. Maybe this has only happen to you. But all my friends and I who use BlackIce have never had these problems you discovered. Whatever happen to you must be rare.

Disk Errors. WTF&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; and you had to reformat you must have one fu*cked up comp seriosuly. I think you are giving Blackice a bad name because it is a great product and seems error free to me.

Also most hackers i know agree that BlackIce is the best to use from protections. ZAP has a lot of holes and easy to get through so if you want to know what protects you best against ppl who do this to you i would surely go with BlackIce.

DEFINATELY NOW ZAP. Go with NPF 2003 if you have to. [/b][/quote]
You and your :lol: "Hacker" :lol: buddies are so Fuckin&#39; smart.
Keep running it&#33; ;)

Dickhead&#33;

ck-uk
05-14-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by the-ninja69+14 May 2003 - 04:54--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the-ninja69 @ 14 May 2003 - 04:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ShockAndAwe^i^@13 May 2003 - 20:14
Things did get through when it was&#39;nt supposed to.
Ask Balamm if you want more info&#33;

Disk Errors. WTF&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; and you had to reformat you must have one fu*cked up comp seriosuly. I think you are giving Blackice a bad name because it is a great product and seems error free to me.

DEFINATELY NOW ZAP. Go with NPF 2003 if you have to. [/b][/quote]
m8 have a read throught this article,if u don&#39;t want to read it all
scroll down to the bottom and theres a section on firewalls,which might change u and ur (friends( minds about blackice :D :D

here (http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm)

ck-uk
05-14-2003, 08:40 AM
Then again the articles extremely long+i&#39;m bored so i&#39;ve cut and pasted the section for u

Personal Firewalls and IRC Zombie/Bot Intrusions

ZoneAlarm v2.6 (Free) —

The last of my testing was to see whether the firewall I keep telling everyone to use: ZoneAlarm — either FREE or Pro — would be effective in stopping the IRC Zombie/Bot and the Sub7 Servers that had taken up residence in my poor "Sitting Duck" laptop.

I downloaded the current, completely free, version of ZoneAlarm 2.6 from the ZoneLabs web site and installed it on the "Sitting Duck" laptop. Upon restarting the machine I was gratified to receive immediate notification that the Zombie/Bot was attempting to make an outbound connection to its IRC chat server.

Meanwhile, the Sub7 Trojan was sitting quietly waiting for someone to connect to it. So I used another machine to "Telnet" to the port the Sub7Server Trojan was listening on. Up popped ZoneAlarm asking whether the nonsense-looking random character name the Sub7Server had chosen for itself should be allowed to accept a connection from the Internet.

Perfect performance from ZoneAlarm.

Then I had a thought: What would Network ICE&#39;s BlackICE Defender do under the same circumstances?

BlackICE Defender v2.5 (&#036;39.95) —

I did not have a current copy of BlackICE Defender around, but I felt that this was an important test. So I laid out &#036;39.95 through Network ICE&#39;s connection to the Digital River eCommerce retailer and purchased the latest version (v2.5) of BlackICE Defender hot off the Internet. I had already removed all traces of ZoneAlarm and restarted the machine, so I installed BlackICE Defender, let everything settle down, and restarted the machine with my packet sniffer running on an adjacent PC.

As far as I could tell, BlackICE Defender had ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the dialogs being held by the Zombies and Trojans running inside the poor "Sitting Duck" laptop. I knew that BlackICE Defender was a lame personal firewall, but this even surprised me.

The Zombie/Bot happily connected without a hitch to its IRC chat server to await further instructions. The Sub7 Trojan sent off its eMail containing the machine&#39;s IP and the port where it was listening. Then it connected and logged itself into the Sub7 IRC server, repeating the disclosure of the machine&#39;s IP address and awaiting port number. No alerts were raised, nothing was flashing in the system tray. The Trojans were not hampered and I received no indication that anything wrong or dangerous was going on.

I took a lot of grief after my LeakTest utility cut right through BlackICE Defender. Network ICE told everyone that LeakTest was "being allowed through" because it was a completely benign Trojan. I knew that was a load of bull (and they must have too), but it didn&#39;t really matter to me, and I had no affirmative means of proving otherwise.

Well... I have that now, and so do you.

I performed one final test: As I had with ZoneAlarm, I attempted to connect to the Sub7Server Trojan running inside the "Sitting Duck" machine on the IP and listening port number the Trojan was advertising all over the Internet... and it worked perfectly. I received Sub7&#39;s "PWD" prompt asking me to login.

Anyone want an "only used once"
copy of BlackICE Defender?

dgmortal
05-14-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by N£MO@14 May 2003 - 02:25
Norton Personal Firewall 2003 for me. :D
same here....true, it is a bit bulky compared to some of the others, but symantec seems to be on top of all the new threats that come out. their quick response to these threats wins my approval :D

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-14-2003, 08:55 AM
Fuckin&#39; Excellent&#33;

Leaktest went right through mine&#33;

Crack_man
05-14-2003, 09:06 AM
Try how good your firewall is here.
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...22397&hl=trojan (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=22397&hl=trojan)

dgmortal
05-14-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Crack_man@14 May 2003 - 04:06
Try how good your firewall is here.
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...22397&hl=trojan (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=22397&hl=trojan)
norton personal firewall......all ports closed :D

balamm
05-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Duties are not performed for duty&#39;s sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

TRshady
05-14-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by balamm@14 May 2003 - 05:10
I don&#39;t know what hacked version of norton system works 2003 pro you got but I have a direct copy and it does in fact include Norton AV standard and Norton AV Professional.
Edit: AND Internet security&#33; And ghost , go back, winfax, cleansweep, PC anywhere, etc, etc.
Hey&#33;, stop drinking crackhead.

Internet security and systemworks are 2 different products, and who was talkin&#39; about AV software, this is firewall. No need to be smart either, what did I say?

I&#39;m always right&#33;
(well most of the time anyway).

the-ninja69
05-14-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by balamm+13 May 2003 - 21:41--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (balamm @ 13 May 2003 - 21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--the-ninja69@14 May 2003 - 04:54

If that were true then how do you explain the fact that it is rarely if ever used on servers anymore?
It&#39;s full of holes and I have the W3SVC1 logs to prove it.
Blackice lets 4 out of 5 bad "get requests" go straight to the server.
IIS is left to deal with the obviously malformed packets and scripts.
It&#39;s a bit of help in displaying code red 2 alerts with flashing icon and audible indicator
so I can manually enter them into the block list but I have to wonder why IIS is even accessed in those cases.
If blackice was an effective firewall then those attacks would never get that far&#33;

Do you know what this is? This should never happen&#33;

2003-05-13 07:59:08 24.27.172.150 - **.**.**.** 80 GET /default.ida
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3
%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u007
8%u0000%u00=a 200 -

Thanks to Our friends at roadrunner.com again NOT [/b][/quote]
Yo servers dont use BlackIce PC Protection they use the enterprise firewalls and shit the other products they make. The ones that home comps dont use.

the-ninja69
05-14-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by CosmoK@14 May 2003 - 01:40
Then again the articles extremely long+i&#39;m bored so i&#39;ve cut and pasted the section for u

Personal Firewalls and IRC Zombie/Bot Intrusions

ZoneAlarm v2.6 (Free) —

The last of my testing was to see whether the firewall I keep telling everyone to use: ZoneAlarm — either FREE or Pro — would be effective in stopping the IRC Zombie/Bot and the Sub7 Servers that had taken up residence in my poor "Sitting Duck" laptop.

I downloaded the current, completely free, version of ZoneAlarm 2.6 from the ZoneLabs web site and installed it on the "Sitting Duck" laptop. Upon restarting the machine I was gratified to receive immediate notification that the Zombie/Bot was attempting to make an outbound connection to its IRC chat server.

Meanwhile, the Sub7 Trojan was sitting quietly waiting for someone to connect to it. So I used another machine to "Telnet" to the port the Sub7Server Trojan was listening on. Up popped ZoneAlarm asking whether the nonsense-looking random character name the Sub7Server had chosen for itself should be allowed to accept a connection from the Internet.

Perfect performance from ZoneAlarm.

Then I had a thought: What would Network ICE&#39;s BlackICE Defender do under the same circumstances?

BlackICE Defender v2.5 (&#036;39.95) —

I did not have a current copy of BlackICE Defender around, but I felt that this was an important test. So I laid out &#036;39.95 through Network ICE&#39;s connection to the Digital River eCommerce retailer and purchased the latest version (v2.5) of BlackICE Defender hot off the Internet. I had already removed all traces of ZoneAlarm and restarted the machine, so I installed BlackICE Defender, let everything settle down, and restarted the machine with my packet sniffer running on an adjacent PC.

As far as I could tell, BlackICE Defender had ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on the dialogs being held by the Zombies and Trojans running inside the poor "Sitting Duck" laptop. I knew that BlackICE Defender was a lame personal firewall, but this even surprised me.

The Zombie/Bot happily connected without a hitch to its IRC chat server to await further instructions. The Sub7 Trojan sent off its eMail containing the machine&#39;s IP and the port where it was listening. Then it connected and logged itself into the Sub7 IRC server, repeating the disclosure of the machine&#39;s IP address and awaiting port number. No alerts were raised, nothing was flashing in the system tray. The Trojans were not hampered and I received no indication that anything wrong or dangerous was going on.

I took a lot of grief after my LeakTest utility cut right through BlackICE Defender. Network ICE told everyone that LeakTest was "being allowed through" because it was a completely benign Trojan. I knew that was a load of bull (and they must have too), but it didn&#39;t really matter to me, and I had no affirmative means of proving otherwise.

Well... I have that now, and so do you.

I performed one final test: As I had with ZoneAlarm, I attempted to connect to the Sub7Server Trojan running inside the "Sitting Duck" machine on the IP and listening port number the Trojan was advertising all over the Internet... and it worked perfectly. I received Sub7&#39;s "PWD" prompt asking me to login.

Anyone want an "only used once"
copy of BlackICE Defender?
Dude you didnt say what protection level you had it&#33;

First i think it is called BlackIce Pc Protection and nowhere in it says defender anywhere so maybe your using something different?? Hmmm?

cborga1985
05-14-2003, 11:23 PM
look people you dumbass&#39;s. you can hack ever dam program you have mentioned very easily. i am not even a serious hacker and i have done it. sub7 is one th best hacker progs and it can get by most of those firewalls. it any BlackICE PC Protection by Network Ice is far the best and ZAP sucks ass.

echidna
05-14-2003, 11:33 PM
just spent twelve hours evaluating
black ice is swiss cheese
sygate personal firewall pro 5.0 build 1175s seems the best i&#39;m using peerguard aswell [when sharing & much easier to add blocks]
sygate is very full featured but i don&#39;t understand the complaints i&#39;ve heard about it [scarey registering from a keygen to activate though]

some people seem to be in denial about black ice but i found a lot of detrius that black ice let operate on this system after finding that black ice was a one way street sign rather than a firewall

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-14-2003, 11:41 PM
Blah blah blah
Where is your evidence ZAP sucks?
You just say it does.. therefore it does
We can backup our statements about Black Ice with documentation.
Where is yours?
Where?
You can&#39;t see the truth even when it&#39;s posted right in front of your face.
Your love for that program will be your undoing.
BTW
Sub seven is a program that needs to be on your system for amatuer hackers to get in&#33;
It&#39;s easily removed by searching for it on your comp&#33;
Go to gibson research and use their awesome (free) programs to test your copy of Black Ice.
It will fail LeakTest&#33;&#33;

imported_stg1123
05-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Okay I have a serious question. Do these problems identified with Black Ice include the new version which runs an application control protection on the comp, not allowing new exe.s to run or access the web? I think the answer is that the problem still exists but im not 100% sure. anyone know?

imported_stg1123
05-15-2003, 12:18 AM
ok Im reading a bit more and the test on black ice mentioned before was done on BI 2.5, I have a registered version of 3.6 so how does mine fare in comparison.
Echidna...which version did you test black Ice on that you concluded it is swiss cheese?

infamousalbo101
05-15-2003, 01:17 AM
anybody know some class 5 firewalls ;)

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-15-2003, 03:22 AM
Yes I ran the 3.6.
Black Ice PC Protection not Defender with application protection
Defender is the older ver.
But it really don&#39;t matter just test it.
Let me add that I loved it and did&#39;nt wanna get rid of it.
Oh well.

imported_stg1123
05-15-2003, 03:29 AM
well I took the plunge and bought my very own Zone Alarm Pro for 50 bucks....it seems very stable and was not to difficult to configure stuff like internet voice conversations which other fw&#39;s are terrible with.
Wish me luck&#33;&#33;

balamm
05-15-2003, 04:06 AM
Duties are not performed for duty&#39;s sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

balamm
05-15-2003, 04:39 AM
Mark Twain

balamm
05-15-2003, 04:59 AM
Mark Twain

jokira247
02-06-2007, 01:53 PM
i prefer zone alarm

Schab
02-06-2007, 03:59 PM
avarst home edition - free and powerful

Buffalo
02-06-2007, 05:51 PM
The best from me is Sygate,
I've been using it for 5 years, I have tried others but they are not as good.
It's very configurable and I've not had a problem at all.
The only thing I would say.... you can have a good firewall but when you use crap like AIM all you are doing is putting yourself at risk.

TRIP
02-09-2007, 03:29 PM
ZoneAlarm Is The Best

elioo
02-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Sygate personal firewall, very small and very good.

jerseyeo
02-10-2007, 04:11 AM
Zonealarm is pretty good

rodfeli
02-10-2007, 02:10 PM
ZA rules!

spidro
02-10-2007, 07:36 PM
outpost firewall

nSyder
02-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Outpost Firewall Pro gets my vote.

Gornar
02-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Windows XP 'default' firewall!

vaidyanath
02-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Zone Alarm is too good but Norton Personal Firewall is comprehensive

ahmed84h
02-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I recommend zoneAlarm or BitDefender Internet Security which contains very good Firewall

cotopaxi
02-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Outpost