PDA

View Full Version : Is File Sharing Illegal?

emtpr665
05-13-2003, 04:36 PM
:huh: i was a little bored so i was in download.com reading the reviews of kazaa users just for fun. so many users were telling stories about friends of them that are sued right now for being sharing files over kazaa but they did mention kazaa, not kazaalite, so, if there is any chance that i can get sue by the fcc or any other goverment agency just for being sharing and downloading files in kazaalite? i have the k++ version ( pl 1,000 ) just to let you know...... thanks in advance for replying my question...... :huh:

TClite
05-13-2003, 04:43 PM
yeah its very illegal, if your sharing copyright material, and theres a slim chance you can get caught and get sued,its all at your own risk - file sharing

kildred11
05-13-2003, 07:44 PM
sad so would it be illegal to invite all these downloaders to your place to watch it on DVD, instead of letting them watch it on their computer. Very shady laws out there

VB
05-13-2003, 08:08 PM
I think that the majority of comments on download.com is false, or perhaps even planted there by for example the RIAA to scare users.

Luckily Kazaa Lite has a privacy patch. With that the changes of getting caught are even smaller.

echidna
05-14-2003, 04:08 AM
no one ever tryed to ban VCRs that could record from television or be hooked together to dub tape to tape
or cassette decks that could record CDs or radio
you can even by DVD recorders which will record television and cut it to DVD

why can they be so inconsistent? why didn't these other technologies 'cost millions in lost sales'? what's wrong with the world?

Paul_NFFC
05-14-2003, 02:57 PM
its illegal to let a friend watch a dvd/vhs with you unless he owns a copy

its illegal to broadcast music to people who do not own it

its illegal to let people play computer games who do not own it

you see where im coming from??

anyway its only illegal if you get caught ;)

lets them come for me, i download a few GB per day and sharing about 75-80GB

come get me <_<

Jibbler
05-14-2003, 03:49 PM
VCRs have had macrovision encoding for years, which was supposed to stop tape to tape copies. Of course, it wasn&#39;t long before a "macrovision eliminator" reached the market. Television studios were livid when they found out that Replay TV had a channel skip which allowed users to bypass their advertisements. Soon they began to support TIVO instead, because it doesn&#39;t offer that feature. Its merely a push/pull tug of war on the financial front, and we are the rope. :rolleyes:

Barbarossa
05-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by echidna@14 May 2003 - 04:08
no one ever tryed to ban VCRs that could record from television or be hooked together to dub tape to tape
or cassette decks that could record CDs or radio
you can even by DVD recorders which will record television and cut it to DVD

Yeah they did try actually... ;)

Barbarossa
05-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Paul_NFFC@14 May 2003 - 14:57
its illegal to let a friend watch a dvd/vhs with you unless he owns a copy

its illegal to broadcast music to people who do not own it

its illegal to let people play computer games who do not own it

I&#39;m not convinced about the truth of these statements I&#39;m afraid, can you provide links? ..... ;)

Paul_NFFC
05-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by amphoteric88@14 May 2003 - 17:12
it&#39;s not illegal to broadcast music to those who don&#39;t own it.
if your in the UK read the top of the music CD

"quote"

"unauthorised copying,hiring,lending,public performance and broadcasting of this recording is prohibited"

"unquote"

obviously radio stations arent illegal..you wouldent know what music is good and whats crap if you didnt hear them 1st

but it IS illegal to broadcast a music cd , stupid i know, but thats how it is :huh:

EDIT: TYPO

reddevs
05-14-2003, 09:56 PM
its only illegal to broadcast music if you do not obtain a statutory license (in the uk), hence radio stations are not illegal as long as they comply, retail outlets, cafe&#39;s, football stadiums etc must obtain a license to broadcast any sound recording.

If you get one, you can broadcast your cd&#39;s should you wish ;)

(CDPA 1988 ss 135A-135G)

cxavier671
05-15-2003, 03:54 AM
Luckily I live in Canada so I don&#39;t think any of those copyright laws affect me.

Ad
05-15-2003, 03:57 AM
well i think its 60,000 fine and 5 years in jail it safe done under for me but :D

Wolfmight
05-15-2003, 12:40 PM
It&#39;s all a bunch of datacode and these computers process it.
so all those programs, movies, mp3s are basicly the same thing... Everyone is stealing from everyone.

btw, Bill Gates is a software pirate, very populare, but now he&#39;s so damn rich he cant be arrested because he has a shit load of lawyers...

:lol:

Wolfmight
05-15-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by adthomp@14 May 2003 - 21:57
well i think its 60,000 fine and 5 years in jail it safe done under for me but :D
how many people are in the world? take about hmm 1/4 or so of that whom use computers and then 80% probably use kazaa or something, so arresting them all world be impossible... There&#39;s not enough prison/jail space... that&#39;d be like over millions of people getting arrested

geothermal78
05-15-2003, 03:20 PM
>>>it safe done under for me but >>>

What did you say ?

Jon

Rat Faced
05-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Next time you hear those Ghetto Blasters..........complain to the RIAA.

oldmancan
05-15-2003, 09:00 PM
Unauthorized sharing of copyright material is illegal.

I don&#39;t like it or necessarily agree with it but that&#39;s the law. The premise is beyond borders, only the penalaties change from country to country.

Don&#39;t be scared just be aware.

Unauthorized is the key here, just email your favorite band and ask permission to share their songs.

@cxavier671 try doing a google search (within Canada). You (we) are affected big time. No way around that.

btw I can&#39;t find it but I saw a quote a while ago that indicated Canadians were world leaders in use of pirated software...Crazy (Kaazy) Canadians

dave
05-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@15 May 2003 - 18:29
Next time you hear those Ghetto Blasters..........complain to the RIAA.
Ghetto Blasters??? James Bond fan, huh? A gun inside a boombox right?

geothermal78
05-16-2003, 01:42 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/07/27/...ain219078.shtml (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/07/27/tech/main219078.shtml)

Here is an old article that shows my feelings on this issue.

And here is another one. (Excerpt below)

http://www.projekt.com/projekt/napster01.asp

"Free exposure is practically a thing of the past for entertainers. Getting your record played at radio costs more money than most of us dream of ever earning. Free downloading gives a chance to every do-it-yourselfer out there. Every act that can&#39;t get signed to a major, for whatever reason, can reach literally millions of new listeners, enticing them to buy the CD and come to the concerts. Where else can a new act, or one that doesn&#39;t have a label deal, get that kind of exposure?"

And the last article is this one. (If you don&#39;t want to read it all, then skip to the numbers at the end of the article.)

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

Jon