PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 3 101 – all you need to know

frizshizzle
11-21-2006, 11:50 PM
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3815/ps3shipmentsei7.jpgYou got questions, we've got answers. Some of them even match! Blu-ray, HDMI, what games are hot, what would we buy, what you don't need to buy, and more.

Are there any PS3 shortages?

Yes. Reportedly, there could be as few as 150,000 units in North America right now, instead of the official 400,000.

Should I wait to buy it?

You may have to, depending on how many units ship. They're super hard to come by for the time being. Either way, it's often advisable for people to wait a few months on a new console, until better games start coming out and shipments are easy to find.

When will more PS3s be available in 2006?

Mid-December should see more shipments, but it may be that you'll need to wait until February or March for supply to start catching up with demand.

Should I wait for a price drop before buying the PS3?

It's usually a good idea to wait on consoles, if you can avoid the temptations. Later production versions are usually quieter, cooler, and less likely to fail....and if that coincides with a price drop, so much the better.

Is the PS3 worth $600?

This is a tough one. The PS3 is indeed expensive, at $499 and $599, but it's very well made and comes with many extra media functions to play around with (DVD/Blu-ray playing, music, photo viewer and Wi-Fi). A similarly-equipped PC would probably be a bit cheap, but it would be far larger and wouldn't have the gaming prowess.

In that sense, yes, the PS3 is an excellent deal, particularly when you factor in the Blu-ray movies, free online play, and gaming/media capabilities. Virtually nothing else on the market can compete with its feature set.

Is the PS3 $200 better than the Xbox 360?

That's hard to say. What constitutes "$200 better?" The Blu-ray disc drive is obviously a big advantage, both for movies and for games. I wouldn't say that PS3, in terms of gameplay for graphics, look $200 better than the Xbox 360, but it has more features (wireless-only controllers, motion sensing, more media and PC-like options, HDMI, Blu-ray films, built-in Wi-Fi) but it's hard to say how much those features are "worth."

As a gamer and a potential consumer, what's your opinion of the PS3?

I like it. I'm not in love with it, yet, but I think the interface is excellent, a big step up from the Xbox 360. Browsing the hard drive, setting up your system, and moving through menus feels crisp and tight. The games are also solid, but I don't (yet) see any games you simply must buy. We'll have more coverage of the launch lineup games soon, and there are some games worth getting.

PS3 Hardware

Does the PS3 feel hot or in danger of overheating?

No. The PS3 is quite cool to the touch, save for the lower-right hand corner, which expels warm air. Overall, it's cooler (temperature-wise) than the Xbox 360.

What can't I do with my Xbox 360 that I can do with the PS3?

The motion-sensing controller strikes me the most, but obviously, you've also got the Blu-ray, the more enhanced media functionality, built-in WiFi, and so on. I also like how you don't need a Memory Card -- you can use a standard digital camera SD card, and probably even a standard USB memory stick to transfer files. Very slick, and a small detail you can't do on the Xbox 360.

Can you swap out the PS3 hard drive for a new one? How hard is that?

You sure can. Sony even includes detailed instructions on swapping out your stock hard drive for a newer, bigger one. Cool!

What is Sony doing to protect their system from being hacked?

Plenty, but they're keeping those secrets pretty tightly sealed. The Blu-ray disc format, in and of itself, is much stronger against unauthorized copying than the typical DVD. Also, HDMI video out has very strong copy protection, and the online service, with its inevitable software updates ala the PSP, will help ferret out some pirates.

How's the Sixaxis? Does it feel too light? How well does the tilt work?

It's nice! Much better for shooters (the analog sticks feel smoother). As for the titling, you shake it to melee attack in Call of Duty, or to shake off enemies in Resisitance. It's pretty nice. Also, the controller is much lighter than the Wii pointer. Weird, huh?

The remote.

Don't have it yet. Sorry.

What voice headsets work with the PS3?

We've used several standard USB headsets and they worked just fine. I tried a Logitech model and it was perfect; the PS3 recognized it just fine. Any typical PC headset should work.

How are PS2 games working? Any noticeable graphical differences?

I tried Dragonball Tenkaichi 2, and it worked flawlessly. The PSOne games I tried, Resident Evil and Twisted Metal 2, also worked perfectly. There have, however, been some reports that certain PS2 games are having some difficulties on the PS3, so your mileage may vary.

Is the PS3 compatible with Japanese PS1/PS2 games?

No. I tried (the Japanese Auto Modellista). The PS3 recognizes its region and won't load the disc.

Is Sony going to allow you to watch TV shows or movies on your PS3?

It's likely, though nothing has been announced. Currently, you can download movie trailers (in SD or HD) from the online network, so it seems that TV shows, movies, and music are next on the list.

Can you use a Bluetooth headset instead of a wired USB computer headset?

Not yet known, but it's likely.

Does the PS2 Eyetoy work on the PS3?

Yes. It works perfectly.

Does iPod work with the PS3?

Yes and no. It recognizes it when you plug it in, but says that there are no audio files. Likely, you will have to add MP3s to the iPod while using it as a generic storage device. This means it won't work for portable listening... So in general, no, the iPod does not work the way you would expect with the PS3.

Does the Wii or PS3 motion sensing feel like a gimmick, or is it really having a positive effect on the way you are enjoying the games so far?

This one's easy to answer -- it's definitely having a positive effect. The PS3 Sixaxis is kind of like the Wii Lite, in that most games take advantage of the motion sensing in some way but it's never a key component. On the Wii, the motion sensing is always a key gameplay element.

I don't think I'd describe motion sensing as revolutionary, but it's an interesting twist. Now we just need the right games!

I've heard that the Sixaxis controller does not have rumble. Is this correct? Will Sony ever release a rumbling PS3 controller?

Yes, it's true -- the PS3 controller does not rumble. In my experience, you barely notice it's missing. At this point, we have no idea if Sony is planning to re-add rumbling down the line. It's anyone's guess.

Does PS3 upscale PS2 titles or regular DVDs to higher resolutions?

No, at least not for the games. We still don't know yet about DVD upsampling, but game upsampling is out for the time being.

Graphics and Performance

Are the PS3's graphics the same as the Xbox 360's?

Mostly. Some games look better than others but many look pretty damned close to their Xbox 360 incarnations. Some games are showing an impressive amount of physics detail, such as Resistance: Fall of Man. But for the moment, the PS3 seems to hang pretty closely with the Xbox 360 in the graphics department.

Later in 2006, a second wave of launch window games will launch. One of those, MotorStorm, has some of the best visuals we've ever seen. Will the PS3 live up to its graphical hype? We'll have to wait and see. But for now, it's nothing particularly new.

How are the load times?

Not bad at all, though your mileage will vary. Resistance: Fall of Man has fairly lengthy between-level load times, but once you're in a game, load time is virtually non-existent. Overall, the PS3's loading is pretty consistent with the Xbox 360 or Wii. Not super-speedy or super-slow.

Interestingly, some games will let you install 5GB of their data on to the hard drive for enhanced load performance. Ridge Racer 7 is one example. It's a nice option to have, and you should look forward to more future games taking advantage of this option.

How does PS3 "look a little more next gen"?

The launch games we currently have, save Genji (which looks dazzling), don't do much to show off the PS3. We made that particular comment in reference to Motorstorm and Lair, two games that will hopefully arrive for the PS3 in the next few months. Most of the games we currently have look much like their 360 counterparts.

How does the PS3 look on a standard-def (480i) TV?

Fine. Still looks good. The PS3, also, does not come with component (blue-green-red) cables.

Do the current PS2 component video cables work with the PS3?

YES, so hang onto 'em (or buy a new set off eBay for dirt cheap). And they're nice and small as you remember. It's just a standard PS3 Multi-AV plug.

Are the graphics better then Xbox 360?

From what I'm seeing of the launch lineup, not really. I do notice that many of the games are using more advanced physics and particles than what I normally see on the Xbox 360. Resistance, for instance, has some of the best snow and fire effects I've ever seen.

Of course, developers will get better as time goes on. Hard to say who will come out on top in the long run, but both consoles have their strengths.

Can you elaborate on what PS3 looks like on a standard (non-HD) TV?

Sure. It looks pretty clean, but obviously HD TV support is going to give you the best image. Does it look better than PS2? Absolutely: it looks cleaner, smoother, and crisper than the last-gen consoles. But to get the real bang for your buck, you'll want to play in at least 480 progressive scan.

Obviously Gears of War is the 360's showcase of graphical power. Have you played any games on PS3 that look more graphically advanced?

No. I would say that none of the launch PS3 games match Gears's visual splendor, though late 2006/early 2007 games like MotorStorm and Lair look damned close in quality...in their own unique ways, of course.

Have you tried out the PS3 with HDMI cables yet? Is there a big difference between that and using component cables?

Yes, we've played it on the HDMI. The best thing about HDMI is that it also includes 7.1 sound (one cable for video AND audio!). Component still sparkles, but HDMI is the future-proof choice... if your TV supports it. I wouldn't say there are any huge advantages in quality between HDMI and the older component cables, but if you're watching a huge screen (50 inches or more) an all-digital signal is something worth having.

Have you tried out any 1080p games yet? Do they play better at 1080p, or lower resolutions?

Yes, 1080p was on in Ridge Racer 7, and the game looked good (and fast!). In general, it doesn't seem like 1080p's benefits are that noticeably. 720p still remains the "sweet spot" for most developers because it's the most common resolution supported by HD sets.

Does Guitar Hero work on the PS3?

Oddly, we haven't tried yet. I've heard reports that you can't enter the menu, though that's something Sony could presumably fix pretty quickly via a download. For now, I have no idea...I'll make sure to check on Monday.

Are there any good PS3 games?

I'd say Resistance, Fight Night Round 3, and Madden look (and play) the best. Sad thing is, we're a little short on games just now...I should have more time with new games this week, so I'll keep you posted.

Any news of the PlayStation Network Platform?

No, it's not active yet. One thing that drives me nuts about the PS3: If you have "enabled" its online functionality (a simple option in the main menu) and don't have an ethernet cord plugged in, this annoying message will pop up every two or three minutes telling you that "You're not connected to the Internet." This message pops up over gameplay, too, making it super-annoying. To stop it, you have to "disable" Internet support in the main menu.

If you have dial-up Internet, is it impossible to access PS3 online to play with other users?

No. The instruction manual clearly states that you must have high-speed internet to play on the online modes. Sorry!

If you could only get one console this holiday season, and shortages weren't a problem, would you get the PS3 or the Wii?

Ooooh, that hurts. I hate these questions, because there's no right answer. I would say, judging by my own emotions, that I would probably lean more towards the PS3. I really, really enjoy its multimedia interface. The Wii is great, too, but it isn't speaking to me the same way it's speaking to some people in the office.

What titles do you currently have for the PS3 and what is your opinion on them?

For PS3, I've only done Resistance (which is a ton of fun). Madden and Tiger Woods look great, too.

------------
I'm not gutted that it hasn't arrived in the UK yet it'll give Sony time to fix those quirks and and "limited games". :cool:

:source: Source: http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=6619