PDA

View Full Version : Laptops production cost

@driano
11-24-2006, 03:09 AM
Hi
Does someone know how much a laptop cost to produce?
or a site where I can find info ?

Thx a lot

delimare
11-24-2006, 03:21 AM
Ok... are you talking about bottom line pricing, the actual manufacturing cost? Or are you looking for price quotes on laptops as if you're going to buy one?

@driano
11-24-2006, 03:27 AM
I am looking for the manufacturing cost

Thx

clocker
11-24-2006, 05:50 AM
Good luck with that...I can't think of any company that willingly releases manufacturing costs to the public.

Seedler
11-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Good luck with that...I can't think of any company that willingly releases manufacturing costs to the public.

Agreed, one'd think the manufac' prices would be shockingly low.

Virtualbody1234
11-24-2006, 01:43 PM
$27 http://www.quietpcusa.com/images/flag_usa_sm.jpg

@driano
11-24-2006, 06:18 PM

:| wow really? , do you have any references cuz its for a project for Marketing.

Thank you

Seedler
11-24-2006, 07:19 PM

:| wow really? , do you have any references cuz its for a project for Marketing.

Thank you

Try utilizing common sense.

tesco
11-24-2006, 11:10 PM

Thank you

Try utilizing common sense.
Wow that's helpful.:huh:
Since when does common sense get you good grades?

clocker
11-25-2006, 02:25 AM
Since when does common sense apply to Marketing?

lynx
11-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Since when does common sense apply to Marketing?
Since when did good grades apply to Marketing?

@driano
11-25-2006, 06:28 PM
lol thx guys that was pretty funny but I got no answer :(

clocker
11-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah, you did actually.
No company is going to tell you their manufacturing costs.

digmen1
11-27-2006, 04:55 AM
Yes what a ridicloious question.

How much does a can of coke cost to manufacture ?

Do you include R&D ?, the CEO's salary ? marketing costs ?

Laptops ARE expensive to make as they have high tolling up costs and LCD screens are expensive as there is a high failure rate.

Regards

Digby

@driano
11-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Yes what a ridicloious question.

How much does a can of coke cost to manufacture ?

Do you include R&D ?, the CEO's salary ? marketing costs ?

Laptops ARE expensive to make as they have high tolling up costs and LCD screens are expensive as there is a high failure rate.

Regards

Digby

True that. In that case I will do an approximation.

Thx guys ;)

Virtualbody1234
11-27-2006, 06:41 PM
True that. In that case I will do an approximation.

Thx guys ;)

Ok. approximately $27 http://www.quietpcusa.com/images/flag_usa_sm.jpg ;)

clocker
11-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Ok. approximately $27 http://www.quietpcusa.com/images/flag_usa_sm.jpg ;)
Is that the price for a Canadian steam-powered lappy or a real one?

Seriously, you will have a very difficult time even estimating the true manufacturing cost of a tier 1 laptop.
This is due to a variety of reasons...

-The large manufacturers have demonstrated the willingness to actually sell product at less than cost just to gain market penetration and name recognition.
-competition is so cutthroat at the retail level that much of the PC market (especially at the lower end) forgoes traditional profit on the hardware in favor of regaining money on advertising (why do you think that Dells, Gateways, et al come with so much trial/bloatware pre-installed?) or "extended service/warranty" plans (which, IIRC, is the largest single profit area for Dell).
-finally, laptops-when compared to desktops- are absurdly proprietary.
Parts interchangeability is practically non-existent (even between apparently similar models and also in the same model from year to year), so development/R&D costs cannot be effectively amortized over a meaningful product lifespan. This can be explained by the rapidly changing landscape of consumer electronics in general (just look at the number/variety of platforms released since early this summer,fer crissake) and the fickle nature of consumers in general.

@OP...just how accurate does your estimate of production cost have to be in order to satisfy the requirements of your project?

silent h3ro
11-27-2006, 09:53 PM
You should look at warehouse priced notebook ram, hdds, and cpus, for a good start. Of course I don't know where you would look, exactly. Dedicated graphics cards (MXM cards) are sold individually now, too.

clocker
11-27-2006, 11:23 PM
You should look at warehouse priced notebook ram, hdds, and cpus, for a good start..
"Warehouse pricing" is not even faintly analogous to "production cost" (even Sam's Club makes a profit as does the manufacturer when it sells to them) but even if it were, how would you estimate the cost of the truly expensive parts of the unit?
The motherboards for instance, are totally proprietary as is the body of the laptop itself.

I don't see how you could start with a retail price (and even warehouse prices must be considered as "retail" in this context) and work backwards to guesstimate production cost.