PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have the Nintendo Wii

BrolyBoo
11-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Everyone has counted out the wii

but im just wondering, has anyone else got a wii?

100%
11-25-2006, 09:44 PM
my mom is getting one for free after translating some stuff for one of their games.
They better also give her a shit load of games or else the pay is not worth it.

She plays more than me.

maebach
11-25-2006, 11:03 PM
my mom is getting one for free after translating some stuff for one of their games.

She plays more than me.

:lol: :lol:

jrdh1580
11-26-2006, 12:07 AM

She plays more than me.

That is awesome

My dad has a ps2 that he use to play now it just sits and collects dust

My mom ha I dont remember her ever playing

You are so lucky

Busyman™
11-26-2006, 03:25 AM
I think the Wii is the best party game systems out there.

It is loads of fun.

However, I can't even say the graphics are better than Gamecube.

I'd definitely recommend it if you don't have a GC.

The system is not recommended for the hardcore gamer.

GepperRankins
11-26-2006, 07:55 AM
got it pre-ordered. expecting to get it on the 8th or 9th :happy: :fanboy:

only got call of duty for it, just cause i wanna see how FPSs play, and red steel is apparently shite. then i'm getting farcry for online play. might end up getting zelda and not completing it while i wait a year for battalion wars 2

3RA1N1AC
11-26-2006, 08:24 AM

She plays more than me.

That is awesome

You are so lucky

you should buy guitar hero for your dad. maybe learn to play it with him, so you can make sure he stays with it long enough to get into the swing & start enjoying it. it's a fun-ass game with lasting appeal, i can practically guarantee. (guitar hero 2, not so much, though. don't really like the music. original guitar hero is sweet though... excellent mix of classic rock, punk and a lil bit of contemporary alt-rock. guitar hero 2's music is too much hairspray/spandex & tuneless wankery imho.)

ALSO. guys, i want a wii. even though i do expect it will not be a great investment in the long run -- selection of games will prolly not be as good/large overall as xbox360 & ps3. still want it though. but i can't afford it right this moment.

i'm gonna boycott wii until they release a new animal crossing which hopefully will have a better-integrated, easier-to-use internet mode than the DS version had. like, i WANT to be able to interact with random strangers instead of trading friend-codes first, i WANT random strangers to be able to visit my animal village & look around (so long as they can't vandalize it) while the wii is in sleep mode, etc. that's my excuse until i can scrape up enough spare cash to buy a wii (might be a long time, especially if i end up need-need-needing to buy a 360 first).

trauma center: second opinion has my interest. i kind of wonder how it could possibly be as precise & fast-paced as the DS original, but oh well. i imagine i'd enjoy it, anyway.

sonic wildfire (or whatever it might be called now) could be good.

curious about red steel, want to try it out, even though my gut has been telling me ever since the first screenshots came out that red steel is prolly trash.

i'd really like to see the Punch-Out brand revived on wii. i think a first-person boxing game where you swing the wii controller to throw punches would prolly be awesomesauce.

GepperRankins
11-26-2006, 08:43 AM
That is awesome

You are so lucky

you should buy guitar hero for your dad. maybe learn to play it with him, so you can make sure he stays with it long enough to get into the swing & start enjoying it. it's a fun-ass game with lasting appeal, i can practically guarantee. (guitar hero 2, not so much, though. don't really like the music. original guitar hero is sweet though... excellent mix of classic rock, punk and a lil bit of contemporary alt-rock. guitar hero 2's music is too much hairspray/spandex & tuneless wankery imho.)

ALSO. guys, i want a wii. even though i do expect it will not be a great investment in the long run -- selection of games will prolly not be as good/large overall as xbox360 & ps3. still want it though. but i can't afford it right this moment.

i'm gonna boycott wii until they release a new animal crossing which hopefully will have a better-integrated, easier-to-use internet mode than the DS version had. like, i WANT to be able to interact with random strangers instead of trading friend-codes first, i WANT random strangers to be able to visit my animal village & look around (so long as they can't vandalize it) while the wii is in sleep mode, etc. that's my excuse until i can scrape up enough spare cash to buy a wii (might be a long time, especially if i end up need-need-needing to buy a 360 first).

trauma center: second opinion has my interest. i kind of wonder how it could possibly be as precise & fast-paced as the DS original, but oh well. i imagine i'd enjoy it, anyway.

curious about red steel, want to try it out, even though my gut has been telling me ever since the first screenshots came out that red steel is prolly trash.

i'd really like to see the Punch-Out brand revived on wii. i think a first-person boxing game where you swing the wii controller to throw punches would prolly be awesomesauce.
red steel has got some pretty harsh reviews. you're better off with CoD or farcry, i reckon anyway :ermm:

good point about animal crossing too. i think the DS was as clean as they could do online on a portable. the wii should be an entire virtual world considering your save game can be always available. something has been bugging me about "always on" though. whenever i see a video clip of the wii doing anything internet related, it has to connect first. it's obviously not always on yet :(

oh and wii sports has first person boxing :D

3RA1N1AC
11-26-2006, 08:49 AM

O RLY. O_O

and i'd been hoping they'd eventually delete wii sports & sell the bare console for closer to $200 USD. but if it has first-person boxing... WELL, then! i'll have to take a further look at wii sports (beyond that tennis part which, to be honest, didn't strike me as a killer application by any stretch).

BrolyBoo
11-27-2006, 09:17 PM

Honestly, i have cod3 and red steel

i think that you'll be better of with red steel, cod3 didnt really do it for me

red steel has got some pretty harsh reviews. you're better off with CoD or farcry, i reckon anyway :ermm:

good point about animal crossing too. i think the DS was as clean as they could do online on a portable. the wii should be an entire virtual world considering your save game can be always available. something has been bugging me about "always on" though. whenever i see a video clip of the wii doing anything internet related, it has to connect first. it's obviously not always on yet :(

Busyman™
11-27-2006, 11:51 PM
That is awesome

You are so lucky

Yeah Punch Out would be nice. Boxing on Wii Sports kinda gives you an idea where it'll be headed.

Red Steel is shit.

Certain games just don't interest me coupled with "Wii movements". In Zelda, I don't care for parts with remote movements. I wanna play it standard.

However, game like bowling and baseball (Wii Sports) are quite fun but wouldn't really bother unless I'm in a party setting or need exercise.

One thing is for sure and this means nothing to me as a gamer, businesswise, the Wii is a hit.

The graphics are not much better than a GC, it costs $250 (almost the cost of a core 360 and $50 less than the debut Xbox and PS2, and the only major upgrade is internet (not much cost) and a new controller (Xavix).

From a gamer standpoint, the Wii sucks.

If I had to get a game that's multi-platform, the Wii is last when last go round the GC was second.

Would you rather play COD 3 on a Wii or 360?

Busyman™
11-27-2006, 11:54 PM

O RLY. O_O

and i'd been hoping they'd eventually delete wii sports & sell the bare console for closer to $200 USD. but if it has first-person boxing... WELL, then! i'll have to take a further look at wii sports (beyond that tennis part which, to be honest, didn't strike me as a killer application by any stretch).

Tennis is actually fun. You can play doubles.

We like bowling and the home run derby the best though. Golf is quite fun too.

I'm trying to get perfect home runs.

IMPORTANT!:

A BIG SCREEN AND NICE SOUND SYSTEM ARE ALMOST A MUST!

3RA1N1AC
11-28-2006, 06:25 AM
From a gamer standpoint, the Wii sucks.
hey i'm a gamer and i don't think wii sucks. okay well i sort of do think it sucks (it's a gamecube, haw haw haw), but there are things i really like about it. i do understand what you mean, though. if somebody buys a wii and doesn't also buy a 360 or ps3, he really will be getting the shit-end of the stick as far as multi-platform games go. i'm not too into the WW2 FPS genre, but supposing i were a big call of duty fan then yeah i'd be pretty turned off by the idea of CoD3 on wii.

that's pretty much what i'm talking about too, when i say the wii will prolly not be a good investment in the long run. i'd be mainly interested in buying games that are exclusively for wii, rather than getting watered-down ports of 360 & ps3 games. so if we cross out all the watered-down ports, we're left with a relatively small number of exclusive games, and an even smaller number of top-notch fantastic must-buy exclusive games. maybe a dozen such games, or a few dozen, over the next 5 years. it's just prolly not going to be a very good value, as a gamer's ONLY new console.

but, uh, right. no need to worry about me, busyman. i'm not gonna buy ONLY a wii and spend the next 5 years stuck with shitty ports of 360/ps3 games. i want a 360 in the somewhat near future too, at least. it's just a matter of getting serious about it, quit spending money on cds/dvds/etc for a while, set aside a few bucks here a few bucks there, until i can afford both 360 and wii.

maybe i'll want a ps3 after a few years, but in the meantime i ain't willing to pay $500-$600 for a videogame machine.

oh btw, you mention gamecube being choice #2 for multi-platform games in the previous generation. i have to disagree. partially disagree at least. i reckon that most multi-platform games in the previous generation were initially designed for ps2, then usually upgraded slightly for xbox. not necessarily optimized for xbox, but xbox had plenty of horsepower to spare so they could still afford to stick some upgrades into even a quickie conversion. gamecube had somewhat stronger processors than ps2, so you'd expect it to always get improved versions of every game by default. but oftentimes it just received sloppy & poorly performing ports of ps2 games because that's where game developers like EA, capcom, ubisoft, sega, etc placed gamecube on their list of priorities. "eh, the gamecube version could be better if we developed & optimized it from scratch, but instead we'll just hire some guys in shanghai or korea or wherever to do a quick & dirty port, which might turn out worse than the ps2 version since gamecube doesn't have that much power to spare. 'cause to be honest, gamecube is the #3 seller, so we really don't give a fuck about it."

MagicNakor
11-28-2006, 07:57 AM
I think the Wii definitely shows the most innovation of the next-gen consoles. Nintendo's always been very good at that (though arguably not in the last couple years), and it will be interesting to see how game developers adapt to it.

How do the Wii-specific controls fare? Are they more immersive than a standard control system? If not, do you think that's due to the hardware technology or due to the newness of the software which the game devs will improve on?

I've not had the opportunity to try a Wii out, but I was thinking of purchasing one for a Christmas gift. Of course, I don't want to do that if it's really not worthwhile, because it would be a rather expensive paperweight.

:shuriken:

3RA1N1AC
11-28-2006, 09:54 AM
I think the Wii definitely shows the most innovation of the next-gen consoles. Nintendo's always been very good at that (though arguably not in the last couple years)

nakor do you own a nintendo ds? i believe it's a system very much worth owning, especially if you are interested in innovative game-console design. not to mention the fact it also has quite a few very good games. for example trauma center, brain age/big brain academy, feel the magic, etc.

anyway, i think the ds was very much in line with nintendo's current approach re: the wii. they both come with control methods that are meant to appeal to gamers & non-gamers. for gamers it might be considered mere gimmick. fun, yet gimmicky. but for non-gamers it's an easy entrance to videogames whereas they might have been too intimidated by the complicated abstract controls of other systems (i.e. joypads with a dozen buttons that you need to learn & remember all the functions of -- not intuitive at all). the ds's touchscreen and the wii's remote are both more direct, literal & familiar: it can be as simple as pointing 'n' clicking at pictures on a screen, without all the fuss of learning the functions of a dozen buttons and numerous elaborate menus.

if nintendo takes this seriously, it prolly will also end up putting some constraints on the designs of their games. there's only so much you can do in pursuit of simplicity. anyway, i think the ds has all of that too. perhaps not as much as it could have on the software side, though. unfortunately nintendos of america & europe seem to be lagging a bit on the non-gamer angle, whereas in japan some of their top sellers on the ds include cookbooks & foreign phrasebooks (for helping japanese tourists communicate with locals in other countries). that's the kind of stuff i reckon would help draw in the non-gamer crowd, who might be able to see the ds as not only a videogame machine but also an inexpensive PDA-type device.

MagicNakor
11-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I forgot about the DS, but you're right. It is very innovative. I haven't had a handheld since Gameboy.... ;)

Busyman™
11-29-2006, 10:33 AM
I think the Wii definitely shows the most innovation of the next-gen consoles. Nintendo's always been very good at that (though arguably not in the last couple years), and it will be interesting to see how game developers adapt to it.

How do the Wii-specific controls fare? Are they more immersive than a standard control system? If not, do you think that's due to the hardware technology or due to the newness of the software which the game devs will improve on?

I've not had the opportunity to try a Wii out, but I was thinking of purchasing one for a Christmas gift. Of course, I don't want to do that if it's really not worthwhile, because it would be a rather expensive paperweight.

The Wii is not a next innovation. It has a new controller. What I mean is that the controller could have been made for the Gamecube.

The controller is immersive. When you bowl, it's like you are really bowling. The same for hitting baseballs. You hold the controller like a baseball bat and swing to crack the ball.

However, that type of controller isn't good for all games. When you use it, you get a workout. Who wants a workout when playing a game like RE4?

Ya don't which is why I said before that it's great as a party console but not as a serious gaming console.

BrolyBoo
11-29-2006, 09:33 PM

honestly, you dont really get a workout. Most of the time, you just have the move the controller around, not swing it randomly

The Wii is not a next innovation. It has a new controller. What I mean is that the controller could have been made for the Gamecube.

The controller is immersive. When you bowl, it's like you are really bowling. The same for hitting baseballs. You hold the controller like a baseball bat and swing to crack the ball.

However, that type of controller isn't good for all games. When you use it, you get a workout. Who wants a workout when playing a game like RE4?

Ya don't which is why I said before that it's great as a party console but not as a serious gaming console.

shalinor
11-30-2006, 03:33 AM
[quote=MagicNakor;1573835]

Not necessarily... who says the controller has inputs that act anything like the Gamecube's controller inputers? They likely would have needed a new console to support the controller period, never mind that this let them update the graphics a bit. Not competing with XBox 360 graphically, but better than Gamecube at least.

Maybe I'm alone in thinking it, but I'd love a bit more activity out of my games period. Working out for the sake of working out is boring - if my leisuire activities had more physical activity, perhaps there would be less need for pretending to bicycle for hours a week. The Wii is hardly an exercise, but hey, at least it gets you moving.

Busyman™
11-30-2006, 04:23 AM
Not necessarily... who says the controller has inputs that act anything like the Gamecube's controller inputers? They likely would have needed a new console to support the controller period, never mind that this let them update the graphics a bit. Not competing with XBox 360 graphically, but better than Gamecube at least.

Maybe I'm alone in thinking it, but I'd love a bit more activity out of my games period. Working out for the sake of working out is boring - if my leisuire activities had more physical activity, perhaps there would be less need for pretending to bicycle for hours a week. The Wii is hardly an exercise, but hey, at least it gets you moving.

For some games, it is an exercise. For many games, remote controlling would be a nuisance.

For instance, if I'm chillin and wanna play a game before I go to sleep, I don't wanna wave my hand around. I want thumb and finger action not wrist and arm (that sounds nasty).

Also there is no reason whatsoever that this controller couldn't have been made for the Gamecube. There is sensor (which smaller than I first thought) that mounts on the TV and your remotes.

The controller is the innovation (well Xavix was out first) not the console itself. That much is obvious.

Another obvious point is that the graphics are barely upgraded.

The Wii gives

a new controller
a modest graphics bump
online capability

The only way for the Wii to survive is too have innovative games cause that's the only thing going for it. That and rehash old games played in a new way (the remote). For example, Madden football allows you to throw passes remote stylee.

It also won't hurt if some staple games never use the remote like Castlevania and Mario. They would sell simply if there are new versions.

As I said before, the Wii was a smart move for Nintendo considering what they actually had to add to go "next-gen" when in fact they aren't next-gen at all.

In fact, I think they actually make money with every console sold.

They have

no next-gen media drive (Blu-Ray/HD-DVD)
no next-gen graphics

I wouldn't be surprised if the NEXT Nintendo console kicks everyone elses ass.

By staying behind the curve technology-wise they keep costs down. If they were smart, next go round they'd have the muscle to bump their graphics up to snuff so my games can look AND play good.

Wii Sports may be fun as all get out but I'll gladly pop in Gears Of War over it.

Zelda: TP is nice but the graphics are seriously underwhelming. It's like a new Zelda for the Gamecube.:dry:

hippychick
12-02-2006, 07:07 PM
If I was to get Wii it would be for the game Sadness
http://wii.ign.com/objects/816/816122.html
But I'm in no hurry for a new system, I have my XBox 360 and Lego Starwars2 lol :D :yup:

delimare
12-03-2006, 02:46 AM
I'm pretty happy with the Wii. I could see how some hardcore gamers might not find it appealing but I consider myself a hardcore gamer. I have Gears of War, Rainbow Six: Vegas and COD 3 sitting here, and what am I playing? Zelda, Twilight Princess. It doesn't have the best graphics but it does have what Nintendo was always good at... a rich story, colorful characters and excellent gaming. You just can't go wrong with Nintendo no matter how childish the games might seem.

Busyman™
12-03-2006, 04:35 AM
I'm pretty happy with the Wii. I could see how some hardcore gamers might not find it appealing but I consider myself a hardcore gamer. I have Gears of War, Rainbow Six: Vegas and COD 3 sitting here, and what am I playing? Zelda, Twilight Princess. It doesn't have the best graphics but it does have what Nintendo was always good at... a rich story, colorful characters and excellent gaming. You just can't go wrong with Nintendo no matter how childish the games might seem.

I think you can.

For the investment, the amount of decent games that came out for the Gamecube was paltry. Even if the GC was $100 and PS2 was $300, the PS2 was a better investment.

Now I'm gonna play Zelda now that I beat GOW (very short game btw:dry: )

shalinor
12-05-2006, 06:55 PM
[quote=shalinor;1577337]
Wii Sports may be fun as all get out but I'll gladly pop in Gears Of War over it.

Zelda: TP is nice but the graphics are seriously underwhelming. It's like a new Zelda for the Gamecube.:dry:
On the controller thing - Gamecube controls had no concept of "pointing" or gesturing or any of that. I'm sure you could rig a path that would let you hook up a wiimote and such to a gamecube, but I seriously doubt the backend that drives their input recognition would be able to leverage it terribly well - never mind what other games would do with the new style of input. It might plain break them, without a console smart enough to at least not allow that input to get to unsupported games. Never mind it's just better marketting to repackage it... the public would ignore a new add-on for an old console, but a new console with a new controller (no matter if it's only a marginal upgrade from their old console) is seen as this entirely different concept.

The graphics, well, we'll see (I don't mind them, but I've never been terribly picky about polygon counts)... as you say, the Wii will need innovative games to succeed. But that said, the XBox 360 or PS3 would also do incredibly well with an entire library of innovative titles, so it's kind of an empty statement - it boils down to whether or not the new input scheme allows for gaming sufficiently more fun as to ignore whatever the Wii lacks compared to the others. So far, people seem to be digging it as "secondary" console, which is great - it doesn't need to directly compete, it does something different.

Colt Seevers
12-13-2006, 03:45 AM
I have to agree with busyman, on this one, Wii I feel is more party system.

Also i'm not into this having to wave my arms around. Thumb and finger, not wrist and arm, I think is how he so eloquently put it :)

I'm looking for a new console system, and my last foray into this market was a PS2, which was ok, but I gladly sold it on aboot a year later.

So now it's either get 360 (HD, good interweb, Gears of War), which is looking yummier every month, or save now for PS3 later......

Sorry, but after playing on a mates Wii, while it was a good laugh, I just like a more gadged out stylee of gaming none of this having to move pish!

Anyway that's probably more an indictment on me being fat and lazy, but I don't think it's for me..

http://jobbie.games.googlepages.com/Suspense_Is_Killing_Me.jpg

grchl3
12-14-2006, 07:17 AM
The wii actually looks like its more fun than any of the next-gen consoles. I've got to get it and zelda of course.