PDA

View Full Version : The USS Liberty incident

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 06:47 PM
What do you Yanks Americans think about the USS Liberty incident?

USS LIberty (http://www.ussliberty.org/)

ram82082
11-26-2006, 06:58 PM
dont give 2 shits.... and what is the origin of this word "Yankee"? here its a northerner but you guys are just as north

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 07:02 PM
dont give 2 shits.... and what is the origin of this word "Yankee"? here its a northerner but you guys are just as north

If you don't give two shits why bother to post? You should also learn to spell, there is a distinct difference between Yanks and Yankees.

Busyman™
11-26-2006, 07:08 PM

If you don't give two shits why bother to post? You should also learn to spell, there is a distinct difference between Yanks and Yankees.

You asked what he thought. He said he doesn't give two shits.

The only difference between Yanks and Yankees is 2 eeezzzzz.

Look up the meaning of both before correcting folk.

Busyman™
11-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Ava Billy is an Aussie.

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Look up the meaning of both before correcting folk.
Yanks is a term non-Yanks use to describe Americans, it has nothing to do with Yankees or northerners.

Ava Billy is an Aussie.
My name is neither Ava nor Billy and l am not Australian.

As usual busybody gets it all wrong.

Busyman™
11-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Yanks is a term non-Yanks use to describe Americans, it has nothing to do with Yankees or northerners.

Ava Billy is an Aussie.

You keep saying that. We all know different.

Yanks is short for Yankees. There is no distinct difference other than what I mentioned.

I remember this from awhile back....

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 07:36 PM
You know busybody, the number of times you're made to look stupid on here it's a wonder you keep coming back for more.

Yank - an American; pertaining to anything American.

Yank - American - a native or inhabitant of the United States

Yank - A term used by the British to describe all Americans.

Yank - an archiac and insulting word that people from other countries use to describe americans.

Yank - A Twat who comes from America to London and calls the Tube a Subway

.... and so on ....

You stick to your definition and the rest of us six billion inhabitants of the planet will stick to ours. We call you Yanks, not Yankees, and we don't give a shit whether you're from the North or South.

JPaul
11-26-2006, 07:38 PM

Ava Billy is an Aussie.

He's right you know.

His name's Rikk and he's English.

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 07:46 PM

You're half right Jim, I'm English.

JPaul
11-26-2006, 07:48 PM

:lol:

Just living in Australia then. Decent result against Chelski today btw.

ram82082
11-26-2006, 07:59 PM

You asked what he thought. He said he doesn't give two shits.

do you not expect an answer when u ask a question? maybe its a "yank" thing to answer 1, or maybe u posted a rhetorical ?...... on a msg board.

Busyman™
11-26-2006, 08:02 PM
You know busybody, the number of times you're made to look stupid on here it's a wonder you keep coming back for more.

Yank - an American; pertaining to anything American.

Yank - American - a native or inhabitant of the United States

Yank - A term used by the British to describe all Americans.

Yank - an archiac and insulting word that people from other countries use to describe americans.

Yank - A Twat who comes from America to London and calls the Tube a Subway

.... and so on ....

You stick to your definition and the rest of us six billion inhabitants of the planet will stick to ours. We call you Yanks, not Yankees, and we don't give a shit whether you're from the North or South.

Yank is short for Yankee. What part don't you understand?

You, dumbass, are aren't the only person outside the United States. Yankee and Yank have been used by foreigners to describe Americans. Where the fuck do you think the word Yank came from?

Use the noggin, Rio Ava 1234 leftism Billy Rikk Piece O Shit.

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 08:05 PM

I didn't see it, just listened on the internet radio, but it sounded like we were lucky to get a point. At least it doesn't really help any of the teams chasing us, I'm sure they're fighting for third place this season.

Well done to the Hoops for qualifying too, those away goals you scored at Old Trafford secured it for you.

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Yank is short for Yankee. What part don't you understand?
I don't understand how you can be so thick. Yank and Yankee are two different words, regardless of their origin.

You, dumbass, are aren't the only person outside the United States.
Make up your mind busybody ... is I are, or is I aren't?

Use the noggin, Rio Ava 1234 leftism Billy Rikk Piece O Shit
Now now busybody, don't get your knickers in a twist, it's not good for the blood pressure.

Busyman™
11-26-2006, 08:17 PM
I don't understand how you can be so thick. Yank and Yankee are two different words, regardless of their origin.

Now now busybody, don't get your knickers in a twist, it's not good for the blood pressure.

Good way to play it off. Now you are arguing that they two different words.

No one else argued that they weren't.

You made out as if there was huge a difference between the 2 words and there wasn't besides the spelling.

Are aren't you the stupid one now?

JPaul
11-26-2006, 08:20 PM

I didn't see it, just listened on the internet radio, but it sounded like we were lucky to get a point. At least it doesn't really help any of the teams chasing us, I'm sure they're fighting for third place this season.

Well done to the Hoops for qualifying too, those away goals you scored at Old Trafford secured it for you.

Cheers, first time and all that. Did you see Nakamura's free kick at Paradise, fucking amazing. Tho' to be fair it wasn't really a free kick in the first place.

It would be a nightmare for your chaps to be knocked out by Benfica, wouldn't that be two years in a row. I can't see it happening tho'

To be honest I think Sir Alex would take it if he could win the premiership this season.

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Good way to play it off. Now you are arguing that they two different words.
They are two different words busybody, hence the two different spellings.

No-one else argued they were.

You made out as if there was huge a difference between the 2 words and there wasn't besides the spelling.
I made out no such thing, I merely pointed out that we use the word Yank to describe Americans, we don't use the word Yankee.

No, it's OK busybody, you're safe, no-one could out-stupid you.

JPaul
11-26-2006, 08:25 PM

Careful now, if VB pops in you'll be reported in jig time.

JPaul
11-26-2006, 08:27 PM
I remember we called them Yankees during the war. The Big One like, not one of your wee modern "wars".

Things were better, back in the day. Even our wars.

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Cheers, first time and all that. Did you see Nakamura's free kick at Paradise, fucking amazing. Tho' to be fair it wasn't really a free kick in the first place.
I thought I was the only one who thought it wasn't a free kick, but what a record, the first Asian to score a goal in the Champions League, and he's done it twice, both free kicks, and both against United.

It would be a nightmare for your chaps to be knocked out by Benfica, wouldn't that be two years in a row. I can't see it happening tho'
I can see it happening, Fergie has lost it as far as Europe is concerned, he even started the game against Celtic with the dreaded 4-5-1, with poor old Rooney running up and down the left wing wondering what the feck he was supposed to be doing, whilst one of the best left wingers in the world was in the centre.

To be honest I think Sir Alex would take it if he could win the premiership this season.
So would I, without a second thought.

ram82082
11-26-2006, 08:33 PM
lol yo, its not a diff spellin. its the short form of the same dam word. check your own definitons.

n jus 4 my own satisfaction. do u still call a subway a "tube" even if the tunnels square? i mean its a subterranean freeway, a straws a tube

JPaul
11-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Not if we don't call it a freeway tho'

ram82082
11-26-2006, 08:37 PM
lol its still a "way", like a path to sumwhere or a street(blah blah way). what do yall(its a conjunction, b4 you start on that) call a freeway neways? n what if its square or semicircle?

Busyman™
11-26-2006, 08:40 PM
They are two different words busybody, hence the two different spellings.

No shit. They are spelled differently. (and around we go)

No-one else argued they were.

I made out no such thing, I merely pointed out that we use the word Yank to describe Americans, we don't use the word Yankee.

Sure you did and went smartass on ram to make the distinction. You even said that the rest of planet used Yank and not Yankee. You are flat out WRONG. I merely pointed out that the only difference was the "ee".

No, it's OK busybody, you're safe, no-one could out-stupid you.

You just did.

JPaul
11-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Oh we call it a subway here.

It's called The Tube in London.

I'm not interested either way. I really hate London.

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 09:02 PM
No shit. They are spelled differently.

Which makes them DIFFERENT, knobhead.

Sure you did and went smartass on ram to make the distinction. You even said that the rest of planet used Yank and not Yankee. You are flat out WRONG. I merely pointed out that the only difference was the "ee".

You mean the only difference was the spelling, two words, two different spellings, one we use to describe Americans, Yank, and one we don't use, Yankee. However stupid you may be, even you can see that, but, as usual, you'll swear black was blue to get out of the corner you so often find yourself in. (Where's Manker, he rips you apart with alarming regularity, he'd love this one?)

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 09:05 PM
I really hate London.

Me too, and I was born there. It's nowhere near the London I was brought up in.

ram82082
11-26-2006, 09:07 PM
ITS THE SAME WORD and IT MEANS THE SAME THING..... since ur so smart please tell me the diff b/t the 2(n not just droppin of the "ee")

JPaul
11-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Isn't Yankee what the people in the South used to call people in the North, a sort of civil war thing.

Then others shortened it to Yank, to mean anyone from the USA. That's what I always thought, for no particularly good reason.

ram82082
11-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Isn't Yankee what the people in the South used to call people in the North, a sort of civil war thing.

Then others shortened it to Yank, to mean anyone from the USA. That's what I always thought, for no particularly good reason.

yup n they still do

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 09:34 PM

Exactly.

Some people seem to think the English language is static and unchanging, which is far from the truth. Words take on different meanings and happily co-exist alongside their older definitions.

My son calls things that are good, 'sick', and things that are very good, 'totally sick'. Now, according to busybody, that can't be, sick is sick because the two words are spelt the same.

JPaul
11-26-2006, 09:37 PM

Exactly.

Some people seem to think the English language is static and unchanging, which is far from the truth. Words take on different meanings and happily co-exist alongside their older definitions.

My son calls things that are good, 'sick', and things that are very good, 'totally sick'. Now, according to busybody, that can't be, sick is sick because the two words are spelt the same.

Yeah, like those gay's stole a perfectly good word from us.

And also some smashing names. Like Lance, Bruce, Justin etc.

ram82082
11-26-2006, 09:39 PM
im not a english major or nething..... but if you shorten a word im pretty sure the root meanin stays the same.

u say yanks are americans(settlers/colonist to brits).... to U.S. southerners a yankee would be guess what. a settler/colonist, same thing. busy said pretty much what J said and ummm so did i

ram82082
11-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Exactly.

:lol:no J, we stole those gay names from u. ya had it backwards.

JPaul
11-26-2006, 09:42 PM
im not a english major or nething..... but if you shorten a word im pretty sure the root meanin stays the same.

Not if you contract it and change it's meaning at the same time.

See my previous.

JPaul
11-26-2006, 09:43 PM

:lol:no J, we stole those gay names from u. ya had it backwards.

I didn't realise you were gay, no offence like. It was just meant as a joke.

ram82082
11-26-2006, 09:47 PM

See my previous.

point made, but this word(Yank) still means the same thing. it still refers 2 americans, jus over here its region specific. lol maybe thats where we lost Ava... that n the 2 e's. might jus b 2 much at once 4 him.

lol ass... im not a cigarette

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 10:02 PM
im not a english major or nething.....
Really?

but if you shorten a word im pretty sure the root meanin stays the same.
When you attach a different meaning to a word it becomes a new word, even if the spelling stays the same, which in this case it doesn't.

u say yanks are americans(settlers/colonist to brits).... to U.S. southerners a yankee would be guess what. a settler/colonist, same thing. busy said pretty much what J said and ummm so did i
Not the same thing, our definition has nothing to do with settlers or colonists, just Americans.

See my previous.
That went right over his head JP.

point made, but this word(Yank) still means the same thing. it still refers 2 americans, jus over here its region specific. lol maybe thats where we lost Ava... that n the 2 e's. might jus b 2 much at once 4 him.
No, it doesn't mean the same over there, you've already said so, and if you've 'lost' me it's because I only understand about a third of your illiterate posts.

Busyman™
11-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Well Rikk you seemed to have lost something (I'm not surprised).

Let's see if you can get it (GayPaul even mentioned it).

"Yank" and "Yankee" are and have been used by foriegners to refer to Americans.

That's pretty simple. You can yell about different spellings and whatnot but the fact is that "Yankee" has more than one meaning depending on whether you are American or foreigner. "Yank" is short for "Yankee".

Duhhh.:1eye:

JPaul
11-26-2006, 10:57 PM

Not really old bean. I don't know anyone who refers to Americans as Yankees.

I think it's probly a word that came here when you chaps came over in WWII and we have always used it to refer to all Americans. It's possible that some Americans referred to others as Yankees and that became Yanks here.

There's a classic Hancock episode, from decades ago. It makes several references to "The Yanks Are Coming"

ilw
11-26-2006, 11:19 PM
most boring thread ever?

JPaul
11-26-2006, 11:25 PM
most boring thread ever?

Is that kind of like posting you don't give two shits about it.

Ava Estelle
11-26-2006, 11:40 PM

Game set and match.

ram82082
11-26-2006, 11:41 PM
look dude.. this AINT english class. i can type how i feel, now if you cant read it then maybe ur illiterate. and if ur definition has nothing to do with settlers or colonist then who the hell did england send over here?(dumass)

n ur wrong again dummy... if u attach a new meanin 2 a word that doesnt create a new word, it adds a new meanin. memmer the whole "sick" thing? i dont believe there are 2 listings 4 "sick" in the dictionary(can u say DEE_DA_DEEEE?).

"That went right over his head JP." get off his nuts, he already said he thought they were the same werd(take ur time n sound it out). i've come 2 the conclusion that Ava may be mildly retarded.

Busyman™
11-27-2006, 12:01 AM

Game set and match.

How so? Cuz GayPaul doesn't know anyone that refers to us as Yankees?:lol: :lol:

He also said he remembered Americans being called Yankees before.

Last time I checked, the UK (or 'Stralia for that matter) is not the rest of the planet either.

JPaul
11-27-2006, 12:32 AM
Game set and match.

Last time I checked, the UK (or 'Stralia for that matter) is not the rest of the planet either.

It is kind of the other English speaking part tho'.

Unless you count Canadia.

Do they call you Yankees.

Ava Estelle
11-27-2006, 01:00 AM
look dude.. this AINT english class. i can type how i feel, now if you cant read it then maybe ur illiterate.
s f u rit lik a dumy n icnt rd it tht mks me iltrate?

and if ur definition has nothing to do with settlers or colonist then who the hell did england send over here?(dumass)
My definition has nothing to do with settlers or colonists because all that happened 100s of years ago, this is now, dumass.

n ur wrong again dummy... if u attach a new meanin 2 a word that doesnt create a new word, it adds a new meanin. memmer the whole "sick" thing? i dont believe there are 2 listings 4 "sick" in the dictionary(can u say DEE_DA_DEEEE?). [COLOR=Blue]
If it has a different meaning it's a different word as far as definitions are concerned, it's just spelt the same, dee_da_deee!

"get off his nuts, he already said he thought they were the same werd(take ur time n sound it out). i've come 2 the conclusion that Ava may be mildly retarded.
No he didn't, you said, "but if you shorten a word im pretty sure the root meanin stays the same." and he said, "Not if you contract it and change it's meaning at the same time" -- dumass!

How so? Cuz GayPaul doesn't know anyone that refers to us as Yankees?:lol: :lol:
Yes, and I've told you the same thing. Have you ever been out of the US? No-one calls Yanks Yankees, they are two different words and have different meanings, your puppy said so himself, read back.

He also said he remembered Americans being called Yankees before.
60 odd years ago, during WW2, but not since.

It is as far as you're concerned cos you ain't never been nowhere, whereas I've been around the world several times!

JPaul
11-27-2006, 01:04 AM
It is as far as you're concerned cos you ain't never been nowhere, whereas I've been around the world several times!

Fuck sake Rikk, schoolboy error.

Busyman™
11-27-2006, 01:07 AM
Oh so everywhere, including Central America, Japan, and Russia have shortened Yankee to Yank?

You really are an idiot.

What I find funny is that you can't even admit Yank is short for Yankee.:lol:

Ava Estelle
11-27-2006, 01:07 AM

Deliberate Jim, I'm trying to come down to his level.

JPaul
11-27-2006, 01:13 AM

Deliberate Jim, I'm trying to come down to his level.

It'll never happen.

JPaul
11-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Oh so everywhere, including Central America, Japan, and Russia have shortened Yankee to Yank?

Those great centres of the English language.

cpt_azad
11-27-2006, 02:07 AM
USS Liberty turns into an argument about Yanks vs. Yankees.

Now I've seen it all :).

I for one am not surprised, its old news, but no one cares about the Liberty, they know Israeli's attacked it, but nothing was done about it.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
11-27-2006, 04:19 AM
This thread reads like a horny pack of virgins at a Star Trek conventions.

MagicNakor
11-27-2006, 09:09 AM

Or Yanks.

Enjoy your new home, thread.

:shuriken:

GepperRankins
11-27-2006, 10:15 AM
http://btjunkie.org/torrent?do=stat&id=2908af003ff5fffb3f9e042cc6572eeb7b9e66baee0a.torrent

link for the british only :ermm:

Barbarossa
11-27-2006, 10:17 AM
lol yo, its not a diff spellin. its the short form of the same dam word. check your own definitons.

n jus 4 my own satisfaction. do u still call a subway a "tube" even if the tunnels square? i mean its a subterranean freeway, a straws a tube

Who the hell digs square tunnels?

That's just mental talk :wacko:

P.S. a subway is a footpath for crossing underneath a busy road. Fact.

GepperRankins
11-27-2006, 10:20 AM

Who the hell digs square tunnels?

That's just mental talk :wacko:

P.S. a subway is a footpath for crossing underneath a busy road. Fact.
pwned by science lolololololol

j2k4
11-27-2006, 10:49 AM
look dude.. this AINT english class. i can type how i feel, now if you cant read it then maybe ur illiterate. and if ur definition has nothing to do with settlers or colonist then who the hell did england send over here?(dumass)

s f u rit lik a dumy n icnt rd it tht mks me iltrate?

I'd been looking to do that but can't type in that, uh, style.

Thanks muchly. :)

CrabGirl
11-27-2006, 10:50 AM
I love this thread!

j2k4
11-27-2006, 10:51 AM

How do you refer to the type of American who argues thus?^

Mike Nelson
11-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Word History: The origin of Yankee has been the subject of much debate, but the most likely source is the Dutch name Janke, meaning “little Jan” or “little John,” a nickname that dates back to the 1680s. Perhaps because it was used as the name of pirates, the name Yankee came to be used as a term of contempt. It was used this way in the 1750s by General James Wolfe, the British general who secured British domination of North America by defeating the French at Quebec. The name may have been applied to New Englanders as an extension of an original use referring to Dutch settlers living along the Hudson River. Whatever the reason, Yankee is first recorded in 1765 as a name for an inhabitant of New England. The first recorded use of the term by the British to refer to Americans in general appears in the 1780s, in a letter by Lord Horatio Nelson, no less. Around the same time it began to be abbreviated to Yank. During the American Revolution, American soldiers adopted this term of derision as a term of national pride. The derisive use nonetheless remained alive and even intensified in the South during the Civil War, when it referred not to all Americans but to those loyal to the Union.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=yank&searchmode=none

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=Merkin&searchmode=none :dabs:

JPaul
11-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Yeah, go spoil it with your book larnin' Mr so called Nelson.

Any relation btw.

Ava Estelle
11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Oops! Double post.

Ava Estelle
11-28-2006, 01:06 PM

How do you refer to the type of American who argues thus?^

Substitute the 'Y' for another letter?

GepperRankins
11-28-2006, 01:10 PM
my parents call americans yankees :snooty:

ram82082
11-28-2006, 09:25 PM
thought this shit'd be dead long time ago, mite get drunk n come stir up sum shit

Barbarossa
11-29-2006, 09:49 AM
my parents call americans yankees :snooty:

Your parents call everyone yankees :blink:

Seedler
12-02-2006, 04:10 AM

Yes.

Seedler
12-02-2006, 04:16 AM
I love when people take theads in the lounge so seriously, especially over grammar, spelling, etc.

Kinda reminds me of when I first joined and tried so hard to outsmart peerzy.:wacko:

Having actually read the thread (I think), Yanks=Yankees in meaning, in the sense that they both refer to Americans and Yankees can also refer to a northerner in America.

There, carry on.

One piece of advice tho Ava,don't mess with busermann he's got a handgun.:ermm:

Peerzy
04-06-2007, 10:49 PM
I love when people take theads in the lounge so seriously, especially over grammar, spelling, etc.

Kinda reminds me of when I first joined and tried so hard to outsmart peerzy.:wacko:

Having actually read the thread (I think), Yanks=Yankees in meaning, in the sense that they both refer to Americans and Yankees can also refer to a northerner in America.

There, carry on.

One piece of advice tho Ava,don't mess with busermann he's got a handgun.:ermm:

:01: