PDA

View Full Version : Router issues...

MagicNakor
11-28-2006, 10:52 AM
So I was given this router to replace my hub. The router is a D-Link DI-604. I'm having two issues with it, the first being that it seems to randomly like to drop the internet connection to one computer (though never to the other), and the second being that despite setting up connection sharing, neither computer will recognize that it's on a network with another.

I don't know much of anything about networking, and I didn't set it up, but I am, of course, the one that's expected to fix it. Anyone able to help me? :cry:

:shuriken:

clocker
11-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Would you like the number of your local Geek Squad?

Sorry, I don't know shit about that sort of stuff...

MagicNakor
11-28-2006, 05:06 PM
You were my last, best hope! :cry1:

Virtualbody1234
11-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Maybe a firmware update for the connection drop?

For the network issue... Do you have firewall(s) running? You need to permit access.

tesco
11-28-2006, 05:53 PM
For the connection drop try a different port (if it's wired :unsure:). Mine does that with one of the ports but the other ones work fine. :(

For the networking make sure both computers are on the same workgroup and that they have different computer names.
Also try turning off firewalls like vb1234 said.

lynx
11-28-2006, 06:34 PM
You shouldn't be using connection sharing.

That's only used when one computer has the connection to the internet (via a directly connected modem or similar) and the other computer connects through the computer with the modem.

You need to select the option "This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway..." on ALL your computers.

Otherwise the computer that has the option set as "This computer connects directly to the internet..." will be acting as a DHCP server. That's the role of the router and things could get a little confused since the computer will be giving incorrect settings (hence loss of connection).

MagicNakor
11-29-2006, 02:05 AM
:whoosh:

In all seriousness though, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll just read this thread aloud to the router-fixer. ;)