PDA

View Full Version : What Does Christmas Mean To You

bunny67
11-29-2006, 06:53 PM
just wondering what christmas meant to different people?is it the shopping,presents,giving or the baby jesus????/

middleman
11-29-2006, 07:34 PM
booz booz and more booz

j2k4
11-29-2006, 08:02 PM
just wondering what christmas meant to different people?is it the shopping,presents,giving or the baby jesus????/

I will ponder your question.

bigboab
11-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Nothing. Its not even a holiday for me.:(

Busyman™
11-29-2006, 10:16 PM
1. A day off.
2. Family get togethers
3. Rampant commericalism.

That is all.

Jesus has nothing to do with it. Nothing at all.

Ava Estelle
11-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Swealtering heat. Xmas is usually the hottest time of year here.

BBQ on a beach somewhere with the kids. Saves on the cooking and washing up.

And of course we musn't forget whose birthday it is on Xmas day ... Santa.

JPaul
11-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Swealtering heat. Xmas is usually the hottest time of year here.

BBQ on a beach somewhere with the kids. Saves on the cooking and washing up.

And of course we musn't forget whose birthday it is on Xmas day ... Santa.

:cool:

Throw another couple of seasonal prawns on the barbie.

Ava Estelle
11-29-2006, 11:29 PM

Where I live is the prawn capital of OZ, we get them straight off the boat for $8 (£3.50) a kilo, and that includes leader prawns up to a foot long.

We buy them uncooked and everyone takes their favourite sauce to cook them in, barbies are great for prawns.

It's just a pity about the jellyfish and crocodiles or we could go for a dip too.

JPaul
11-29-2006, 11:51 PM

Where I live is the prawn capital of OZ, we get them straight off the boat for $8 (£3.50) a kilo, and that includes leader prawns up to a foot long.

We buy them uncooked and everyone takes their favourite sauce to cook them in, barbies are great for prawns.

It's just a pity about the jellyfish and crocodiles or we could go for a dip too.

I'm not personally a big fan of "seafood" other than fish.

We sometimes get stuff from Andy Race's shop in Mallaig, which is attached to their factory, right in the harbour.

They only sell stuff which is fresh in from the boats and it is absolutely extraordinary. The lemon soul, if they have it, cannot be described in mere words.

ergo I know whereof you speak.

maebach
11-29-2006, 11:53 PM
shamong, you are a milf.

I was kidding :|

and christmas means 2 weeks off of school to do homework and everyone's ina good mood.

bunny67
11-30-2006, 12:18 AM
shamong, you are a milf.

and christmas means 2 weeks off of school to do homework and everyone's ina good mood. whats a milf:cry: :wacko: :( is it bad

j2k4
11-30-2006, 12:25 AM
shamong, you are a milf.

and christmas means 2 weeks off of school to do homework and everyone's ina good mood. whats a milf:cry: :wacko: :( is it bad

Maebach, being a lecher.

Link removed due to unintended and unwitting prurient content.

It's maebach's fault, anyway; young scalawag.

bunny67
11-30-2006, 12:27 AM
whats a milf:cry: :wacko: :( is it bad

Maebach, being a lecher.

http://www.milf.com/awwwwwww omg i almost drop my drink over keyboard then

j2k4
11-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Maebach, being a lecher.

awwwwwww omg i almost drop my drink over keyboard then

Maebach has no social graces that we've noticed. :huh:

lynx
11-30-2006, 01:57 AM
For one Robert Kearns I think it means having his own personal Christmas tree installed. :pinch:

Barbarossa
11-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Christmas means magic and sparkle :stars:

However, it looks like all I have to look forward to are some badly thrown prawns :ermm:

bunny67
11-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Christmas means magic and sparkle :stars:

However, it looks like all I have to look forward to are some badly thrown prawns :ermm:awwww poor u doh .i love xmas watching my kid wripping open her pressies n getting excited wiv wot shes had although after that its a bit downhill cos boxing day she goes to her dads for a few days leaving me all alone :( but for her its wkd 2 xmas days lol

maebach
11-30-2006, 11:32 PM
awwwwwww omg i almost drop my drink over keyboard then

:lol: :lol: thanks j2k4

j2k4
12-01-2006, 01:31 AM

You're welcome.

Mind yourself around the women or you'll be wearing the pointy-hat and writing an essay on sexism for review by sArA.

She's no school-marm, I promise. :nono:

bunny67
12-02-2006, 05:28 PM

You're welcome.

Mind yourself around the women or you'll be wearing the pointy-hat and writing an essay on sexism for review by sArA.

She's no school-marm, I promise. :nono:lol:P

j2k4
12-02-2006, 06:17 PM
You're welcome.

She's no school-marm, I promise. :nono:lol:P

I didn't mean you, but you don't look like one either, truth. :)

sArA would teach him some manners.

bunny67
12-04-2006, 01:40 AM
21 days to go tra la im getting so excited

bunny67
12-10-2006, 04:06 AM
15 days to go

middleman
12-12-2006, 02:53 AM
all about fucking money who agrees

JPaul
12-14-2006, 04:03 PM
It's about what you want it to be about.

So everyone has the Christmas they chose. For some people it's commercial, that's because you chose that way. For others it's about friends and family, again your choice. For some it's religious because that's what's important to them.

For me it's a mixture of all three. In exactly the right balance.

NsJ
12-15-2006, 06:06 PM
all family together, snow, x-mas tree, presents...

bunny67
12-17-2006, 04:19 AM
well folks only 8 days to go im getting so excited

petra1210
12-20-2006, 09:09 PM
It's a great time of year, full of lights, colors, celebration, food and music. The magic of this special time is captured in the wide-eyed gaze of children, reflecting the twinkling lights and bursting with anticipation for that moment when, at long last, the packages are finally distributed and the room fills with an explosion of brightly colored wrapping paper.

Sadly, the celebration of Christmas becomes more commercial and disconnected from its true meaning every year.

Only 5 days to go :)

bigboab
12-20-2006, 09:12 PM
well folks only 8 days to go im getting so excited

Settle Petal.:rolleyes: It wont go past you.:)

TYPE R
12-23-2006, 11:40 PM
just a another day

sgt_kermit
01-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Christmas has everything to do with celbrating the birth of Jesus Christ and nothing else.

Ava Estelle
01-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Christmas has everything to do with celbrating the birth of Jesus Christ and nothing else.

Don't talk rubbish, Christmas is what people make of it, if they aren't Christian it has nothing to do with Christ. The Christian church stole the holiday anyway, it has nothing to do with anyone's birthday, it was a celebration of the Winter Solstice. This is the same with the other major Christian holy days too, Easter is still celebrated according to the date of the full moon nearest to the Spring Equinox, the start of the planting season.

JPaul
01-06-2007, 12:51 PM

Don't talk rubbish, Christmas is what people make of it, if they aren't Christian it has nothing to do with Christ. The Christian church stole the holiday anyway, it has nothing to do with anyone's birthday, it was a celebration of the Winter Solstice. This is the same with the other major Christian holy days too, Easter is still celebrated according to the date of the full moon nearest to the Spring Equinox, the start of the planting season.

They hardly "stole" it, mate. They had to chose a time to have it, so plumped for when others were celebrating things anyway. I think it's commonly accepted that His birth was probably in the summer (maybe he was an aussie :O ).

Some Christians hardly even acknowledge Christmas btw. Going back to my Wee Free chum. He told me that they don't even have a service for Christmas, as they consider it of no importance, far less a holy day. They have a service on new year's day, to give thanks for the year gone and ask for a blessing on the year to come. Their only real holy day is Easter, which as you say is also, let's call it "borrowed" shall we.

For Catholics, and I would venture most other Christians, the big day is Easter. As this is when things were finally fulfilled. Christmas is a holy day, but of lesser importance.

Fulanito
01-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Christmas means gifts haha

Ava Estelle
01-06-2007, 01:26 PM
They hardly "stole" it, mate ... let's call it "borrowed" shall we.

Borrowed it is then. :)

sgt_kermit
01-06-2007, 05:22 PM

The thread is what does Chistmas means to me. I gave you my answer and because you disagree with it you want to try bash it. It seems that unless someone lines up with your way of thinking they are wrong! I am not wrong and will continue to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ on Christmas. Whether you are Christian or not he is the one and only Savior and will come back one day. I personally look forward to his day of return.

j2k4
01-06-2007, 05:30 PM

The thread is what does Chistmas means to me. I gave you my answer and because you disagree with it you want to try bash it. It seems that unless someone lines up with your way of thinking they are wrong! I am not wrong and will continue to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ on Christmas. Whether you are Christian or not he is the one and only Savior and will come back one day. I personally look forward to his day of return.

How intolerant of you to stand foursquare behind your own beliefs.

I'm quite sure you have also violated several of Ava's Standards of Free Speech as well.

I hope so, anyway. :)

Ava Estelle
01-06-2007, 05:45 PM
The thread is what does Chistmas means to me. I gave you my answer ...

Then you should have made it clear that that was your opinion, saying "Christmas has everything to do with celbrating the birth of Jesus Christ and nothing else." smacks of a statement of fact, which, of course, it isn't. :)

sgt_kermit
01-06-2007, 07:30 PM
The thread is what does Chistmas means to me. I gave you my answer ...

Then you should have made it clear that that was your opinion, saying "Christmas has everything to do with celbrating the birth of Jesus Christ and nothing else." smacks of a statement of fact, which, of course, it isn't. :)

I should not have to make it clear that it is my opinion when the title of the thread does that for me! :huh: I remind you that it is Christmas and not presentmas, drunkmas, whateveryouwanttocelebratemas etc. So by definition is about Christ! no one else in this thread that voiced their opinion, but did not state it was their opinion got argued with for it. HUH, I Wonder why that is?

MagicNakor
01-07-2007, 05:08 AM
I should not have to make it clear that it is my opinion when the title of the thread does that for me! :huh: I remind you that it is Christmas and not presentmas, drunkmas, whateveryouwanttocelebratemas etc. So by definition is about Christ! no one else in this thread that voiced their opinion, but did not state it was their opinion got argued with for it. HUH, I Wonder why that is?

Likely a reaction provoked by your boldface. Or maybe it's an anti-Christian conspiracy.

:shuriken:

Ava Estelle
01-07-2007, 07:14 AM
I remind you that it is Christmas and not presentmas, drunkmas, whateveryouwanttocelebratemas etc. So by definition is about Christ!

There you go, you answered your own question. You weren't telling us what Xmas meant to you, you were telling us what it meant to all of us, whether we like it or not!

sgt_kermit
01-07-2007, 08:01 AM
I remind you that it is Christmas and not presentmas, drunkmas, whateveryouwanttocelebratemas etc. So by definition is about Christ!

There you go, you answered your own question. You weren't telling us what Xmas meant to you, you were telling us what it meant to all of us, whether we like it or not!

No I was just stating an obvious fact that should not have needed to be stated, but you are so desparate to overlook. And you are right about the fact that I don't care if you like it or not! That is the nice thing about living in a free country. :D

Ava Estelle
01-07-2007, 08:27 AM
No I was just stating an obvious fact ..

You stated no fact at all, you stated an opinion, and one that has no merit. What Xmas means is personal, I have celebrated it for the past 50 odd years and don't have a single Christian bone in my body. Your religion has used Xmas as a holy day for a couple of thousand years, others have used it for thousands of years longer, so you have no claim on it at all. In fact, the whole Xmas tree and giving presents pre-dates Christianity by thousands of years.

sgt_kermit
01-07-2007, 08:40 AM
No I was just stating an obvious fact ..

You stated no fact at all, you stated an opinion, and one that has no merit. What Xmas means is personal, I have celebrated it for the past 50 odd years and don't have a single Christian bone in my body. Your religion has used Xmas as a holy day for a couple of thousand years, others have used it for thousands of years longer, so you have no claim on it at all. In fact, the whole Xmas tree and giving presents pre-dates Christianity by thousands of years.

Maybe so but it was not called Christmas, before Jesus Christ!

Ava Estelle
01-07-2007, 09:00 AM

A minor detail, it's not called Christmas in most of the world either.

MagicNakor
01-07-2007, 09:07 AM
That's the nice thing about running an empire...you can pretty much name things what you want.

bigboab
01-07-2007, 09:11 AM
I think we should rename this thread;

What does of the day of celebration, now known as Christmas by some people, mean to you?:rolleyes:

bunny67
01-07-2007, 09:26 PM
omg what did i start .well folks what ever it meant to you its all over now .so start counting down for the next one. how many days?

Mr JP Fugley
01-07-2007, 10:02 PM

A minor detail, it's not called Christmas in most of the world either.

So Christmas isn't called Christmas in most of the World.

That seems a bit strange.

Now I can see how you would say that the feast celebrated at that time of the year is not known as Christmas in most of the World. However that's a different thread. Given that this one is about "What Does Christmas Mean To You".

Mr JP Fugley
01-07-2007, 10:05 PM
I think we should rename this thread;

What does the day of the day of celebration, now known as Christmas, mean to you?:rolleyes:

Can I suggest you include "... by some people ..." somewhere in that post.

To make it more Avafriendly.

bunny67
01-08-2007, 12:07 AM
when i started this thread it wasnt dne to spark a debate about religion just wanted to know what christmas meant to different people

kazaaman
01-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Every year, our family comes together and has a big party w/ all the commercial stuff, you know presents and all that. But we also recognize the spiritual part of it by going to Church and giving thanks for the blessings we have. My aunt recently started helping the poor by cooking food and handing it out for the service "Meals on Wheels". I mean I'm just grateful for everything I have because if you truly don't know what you have until you lose it.

petra1210
01-08-2007, 05:51 AM
i got this message from my friend today -> ive got a few sweeties lying up my attic. ive been on a heavy bender. thats what christmas is all about. as long as u made the most of it.

Ava Estelle
01-08-2007, 06:10 AM
it's not called Christmas in most of the world either.

Why? The Japanese celebrate 'Xmas', Xmas trees, gifts, family get togethers, the whole thing, but they don't call it Christmas, why should they? For a start they don't speak English, and they're not Christians.

And if you want to get into semantics about the name of the thread I suggest you ask yourself why it was posted. If the meaning of the title was the 'christ' bit, why was it necessary to ask what it meant to people? If it was a general question, acknowledging that it means all things to all people, then it's quite obvious that it would have different names in different parts of the world, as well as different meanings.

Here's a few for you to chew on ..

Kertfeest, Natal, Tan Kuai, Jul, Joulua, Noel, Weihnachten, Christougenna, Omedeto, Navidad, Kerstroeten, Narodzenie, Festas, Razdajetsja, Llawen, Bozic.

Perhaps we should ask a modularator to change the title of the thread to ..

What Does Christmas, Kertfeest, Natal, Tan Kuai, Jul, Joulua, Noel, Weihnachten, Christougenna, Omedeto, Navidad, Kerstroeten, Narodzenie, Festas, Razdajetsja, Llawen, Bozic, Mean To You?

MagicNakor
01-08-2007, 06:32 AM
when i started this thread it wasnt dne to spark a debate about religion just wanted to know what christmas meant to different people

Don't feel badly; this is the Drawing Room.

Mr JP Fugley
01-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Why? The Japanese celebrate 'Xmas', Xmas trees, gifts, family get togethers, the whole thing, but they don't call it Christmas, why should they? For a start they don't speak English, and they're not Christians.

And if you want to get into semantics about the name of the thread I suggest you ask yourself why it was posted. If the meaning of the title was the 'christ' bit, why was it necessary to ask what it meant to people? If it was a general question, acknowledging that it means all things to all people, then it's quite obvious that it would have different names in different parts of the world, as well as different meanings.

Here's a few for you to chew on ..

Kertfeest, Natal, Tan Kuai, Jul, Joulua, Noel, Weihnachten, Christougenna, Omedeto, Navidad, Kerstroeten, Narodzenie, Festas, Razdajetsja, Llawen, Bozic.

Perhaps we should ask a modularator to change the title of the thread to ..

What Does Christmas, Kertfeest, Natal, Tan Kuai, Jul, Joulua, Noel, Weihnachten, Christougenna, Omedeto, Navidad, Kerstroeten, Narodzenie, Festas, Razdajetsja, Llawen, Bozic, Mean To You?

All you said there is that loads of people have festivals or celebrations at the same time of the year. That doesn't mean that they are celebrating Christmas. They may be celebrating at Christmastime, but that's not the same thing.

That doesn't invalidate the question. For example using you as an example. Christmas as a religious festival means nothing to you. However it is the time of year you like to spend with friends and family, perhaps exchanging cards and gifts. In a way you are borowing it back, if you call it Christmas.

Snee
01-08-2007, 10:49 PM
http://across.co.nz/churches.Japan.html

mattnmarley
01-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Christmas to me means a mass marketing/money orgy.

Ava Estelle
01-09-2007, 05:04 AM
So Christmas isn't called Christmas in most of the World..

Perhaps you'd like to re-visit your answer ..

In a way you are borowing it back, if you call it Christmas.

Are you saying a word can have only one meaning?

myron
04-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Christmas to me basically means time spent with family and loved ones. It's the one time of the year I get to see my family.

Raised Methodist but more Agnostic than anything.

JPaul
04-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Christmas to me basically means time spent with family and loved ones. It's the one time of the year I get to see my family.

Raised Methodist but more Agnostic than anything.

Lapsed Agnostic.

bunny67
12-09-2007, 12:05 AM
bump

JROQuinn
12-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Christmas & Easter are both pagan holidays originating in Rome. "Christians" adopted these, imo to have days set aside to celebrate Him. But a true Christian should celebrate Christ everyday. But for the Christian there is nothing wrong with celebrating them if it it done the right way. Yea Im a Christian but I guess you could say backslidden. But I have my beliefs and force them on no one. If you wanna know ask. No one likes to be forced fed religion, who does? But to me Christmas means remembrance of His birth, and witnessing to those who want to know, helping those less fortunate, family & yes presents. Giving is what is more important & its that idea that God gave his Son...Now pass me a budlight!!!

JROQuinn
12-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Oh lol...wrap your minds around this;)

"HO HO HO (Trinity. H and O are 6 letters apart 666)." Im goin to put this in my sig hehe

Jeremiah 10:2-5: 2. Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. 5. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Biggles
12-17-2007, 10:49 AM
The winter solstice is a dismal time in northern latitudes. A good cheerful festival is pretty much essential which is why the Church went with the flow and took the unconquered sun solstice as an ideal time for a knees up (suitably re-organised of course :) ).

I like the colours, the Ho Ho Ho'ing, having the family around and feasting.

What's not to like? (well apart from the rampant consumerism and some dreadful xmas songs obviousment).

Ænima
12-24-2007, 01:48 AM
(well apart from the rampant consumerism and some dreadful xmas songs obviousment).
That pretty much sums up my only distaste for this beautiful time of year (in the north).

sanath
12-25-2007, 10:06 AM
peace and happiness

JunkBarMan
12-26-2007, 03:01 AM
1. A day off.
2. Family get togethers
3. Rampant commericalism.

That is all.

Jesus has nothing to do with it. Nothing at all.

True Story.

InXS
12-27-2007, 03:12 AM
It Means Nothing

FatBob
12-27-2007, 10:03 PM
its just holidays for me when i can get really drunk with my friends .