PDA

View Full Version : Senator Jim Webb tells off Bush

j2k4
11-30-2006, 12:07 AM
It happens to Republicans too, evidently...

At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia’s newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn’t long before Bush found him.

“How’s your boy?” Bush asked, referring to Webb’s son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

“I’d like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President,” Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

“That’s not what I asked you,” Bush said. “How’s your boy?”

“That’s between me and my boy, Mr. President,” Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

This, according to Webb.

Busyman™
11-30-2006, 12:11 AM

At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia’s newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn’t long before Bush found him.

“How’s your boy?” Bush asked, referring to Webb’s son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

“I’d like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President,” Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

“That’s between me and my boy, Mr. President,” Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

This, according to Webb.

:pinch:

What happens to Republicans too?:huh:

j2k4
11-30-2006, 12:28 AM

This, according to Webb.

Poor Clinton had to suffer some similar commentary/snub from a father whose son died in (I think) Somalia; this was during an Oval Office photo-op, I guess.

vidcc
11-30-2006, 01:33 AM
He's showing a lot of promise

Busyman™
11-30-2006, 03:16 AM

Poor Clinton had to suffer some similar commentary/snub from a father whose son died in (I think) Somalia; this was during an Oval Office photo-op, I guess.

Oh ok.

I wonder which war was more noble. I remember a lot of people saying that we shouldn't have been in Somalia (Code Irene?).

If I was Jim Webb, I'd have snubbed Bush too.

I'd hate to lose a son over bullshit.

bigboab
11-30-2006, 09:58 AM

This, according to Webb.

IMO that is just ignorance on the part of Webb. Do all your arguing on the floor of the house, in session.

j2k4
11-30-2006, 10:47 AM

This, according to Webb.

IMO that is just ignorance on the part of Webb. Do all your arguing on the floor of the house, in session.

I agree.

Of course, he could be positioning himself for a presidential bid in '08...

Busyman™
11-30-2006, 11:47 PM

This, according to Webb.

Agreed, however Bush asked about his boy and not matters of state. I don't see where ignorance comes into play.

bigboab
12-01-2006, 09:17 AM

Agreed, however Bush asked about his boy and not matters of state. I don't see where ignorance comes into play.

Agreed. Webb should have replied about his boy. Not matters of state.

Busyman™
12-01-2006, 11:40 AM

He didn't. Maybe his reply should have been, "He's fighting in Iraq, moron. I guess he's still alive, dipshit."

bigboab
12-01-2006, 01:25 PM

He didn't. Maybe his reply should have been, "He's fighting in Iraq, moron. I guess he's still alive, dipshit."

That means that you are the same type of person that he is. Unable to speak to someone without trying to get a point across. You are not alone in here.:rolleyes:

Busyman
12-01-2006, 01:39 PM

That means that you are the same type of person that he is. Unable to speak to someone without trying to get a point across. You are not alone in here.:rolleyes:

Again, he could have just said, "He's alive."

Bush asked him a semi-personal question. It happened to relate to Iraq since his son was there.:ermm:

bigboab
12-01-2006, 02:12 PM
'He is fine. Thanks for asking,' would have been a more appropriate remark on a casual occasion.:)

Busyman
12-01-2006, 02:53 PM
'He is fine. Thanks for asking,' would have been a more appropriate remark on a casual occasion.:)

Why would he do that? Why would he have to sugarcoat what he wanted to say?

vidcc
12-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Had webb replied, "I'm proud he's serving his country in Iraq" do you think Bush would have responded "That's not what I asked" ?

I'm guessing Bush would have said "well we're all proud of our men in uniform and appreciate their sacrifice".

Webb could have been a tad more diplomatic but that's not the way he is. Bush suffers the same problem and will only talk to those that disagree with him if cornered. This may be webb's only chance to tell the president what he thought.

bigboab
12-01-2006, 05:17 PM

Its maybe just me being too old fashioned.:)

I just noticed your Zimbabwe flag Busy. Dont know why I haven't noticed it before. I thought you was an American, born and bred. I'm wrong again.:(

Busyman
12-01-2006, 05:32 PM

Its maybe just me being too old fashioned.:)

I just noticed your Zimbabwe flag Busy. Dont know why I haven't noticed it before. I thought you was an American, born and bred. I'm wrong again.:(

You're wrong about bein' wrong.

ahctlucabbuS
12-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Good on him.