PDA

View Full Version : System Resources being thrashed

digmen1
12-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Hi Guys

I just set up a new motherboard and CPU in a friends machine.

It is going well, execpt that the CPU seems to be working very hard during bootup and after initial boot.

If I fire up Task Manager with Ctrl Alt + del, the CPU useage goes from 1 or 2% right up to 48% and back, it continually does this from 1 to 2% up to 48%.

When I look at the process that is causing this it is the System Process that is doing this.

Does anyone know what may be causing this ? Or where I could look for the cause ?

Could it be a faulty CPU ?

Kind Regards

Digby

Virtualbody1234
12-01-2006, 01:30 PM
What are the CPU temps showing in the BIOS?

clocker
12-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi Guys

I just set up a new motherboard and CPU in a friends machine.

It is going well, execpt that the CPU seems to be working very hard during bootup and after initial boot.

Does it eventually settle down or does the erratic usage continue?

When I look at the process that is causing this it is the System Process that is doing this.
You mean System Idle Process, mayhaps?

Is this a fresh install of Windows?

digmen1
12-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for your interest

No it does not settle down eventually, it keeps doing this

No it is the System Process (2nd one up from the bottom of the list)

It is not a fresh Windows install, we just re-installed the old hard drive with XP on it. (dont think it was doing it on the old motherboard)

I will go and check the temps

Regards

Digby

tesco
12-02-2006, 01:38 AM
Is it really called "System Process" or just "System" ?

If it's called "system process" specifically then I'd say it's spyware or a virus :blink:

edit: Quick google search tells me that if "system" is using a lot of CPU usage then it's likely a driver problem (but it could be anything, I didn't really search very far).

zapjb
12-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Hardware & drivers conflicts.

Wipe HDD. Fresh install XP & drivers.