PDA

View Full Version : Why...

Jon L. Obscene
12-03-2006, 04:46 AM
..is there hardly any games based in Vietnam?
Have I just not come across any or is there really a serious lack of these?

We have hundreds of WW2 games, I would love to play something along the lines of Call Of Duty/ Medal of Honor but based in vietnam, something in between WW2 and the Gulf.

Jonno :cool:

S!X
12-03-2006, 04:59 AM
I have a war game thats based in Vietnam, it happens to be called "Battlefield Vietnam", its not a bad game. I don't know exactly what time period its in though. Btw, I never knew you were Canadian:ermm:

mildthrill
12-03-2006, 05:12 AM
My bet is because there aren't any widely known epic battles associated with Vietnam like say a D-day or whatnot. So you don't get that 'Oh! That'd be sweet to re-enact such n' such battle' appeal or fight in some city we're all familiar with. All most people know about Vietnam is they're going to be fighting in a jungle...

And can you imagine how they'd eventually have to end one of the games, the hero american soldier just sorta apathetically heads home to get spit in the face by a drugged out hippy. I think that would be the best last image they leave you with as the ending credits start, a wad of spit rolling down one cheek, a tear the other.

Cheese
12-03-2006, 05:16 AM
Vietcong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietcong_%28computer_game%29) is a decent game based on the Vietnam war imo. There's a few others I can think of but can't names of the top of my head. I remember a team based one that I played for a few minutes but it wasn't that good. Of course, Battlefield Vietnam is another one.

Maybe the fact USA got beat has made it a poor/sore subject for a computer game.

extremeblizz
12-03-2006, 05:35 AM
My best guess- the US is traumatized by this issue, either more time has to pass for it to be a valid gaming theme or it just never will be...
Some things were done there from both sides that I don't think Americans will ever be able to play on...
What, are you gonna play "Let's Kill The 8 Year Old Kid Who's Using His Body As A Suicide Bomb"?

Jon L. Obscene
12-04-2006, 04:04 AM
Yeah this is what I was thinking too with the "Sore point" but the Romans marched across europe and won no trouble with games there.

No epic battles? "We were soldiers"? and Call Of Duty 3 doesn't have any "Epic" battles in it, just the campaign.

As for kids with suicide bombs, doesn't that happen in the middle east?.....plenty of games about that.

I think Cheese has it right, just the fact that the "Good guys" didn't win, yet they have no trouble making movies about it.

I would just like to play a decent one.

MagicNakor
12-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Battlefield: Vietnam, Conflict: Vietnam, Lost Patrol, Men of Valour, Veitcong: Purple Haze, Veitcong 2.

Then there are a bunch from the 70s and 80s, but I don't think http://eager.back2roots.org/SSHOT/L/lostpatrol.png is going to take your fancy. ;)

:shuriken:

MCHeshPants420
12-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Is that Lost Patrol?

Smith
12-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Not to mention total conversion mods for games..Look around HL2.

MagicNakor
12-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Is that Lost Patrol?

Indeed. Did you check the properties? ;)

Cheese
12-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Is that Lost Patrol?

Indeed. Did you check the properties? ;)

No, I remember playing it on my friend's Amiga about 15 years ago. As I recall I had wanted to play that game for ages because the magazine adverts made it look like a sweet game, unfortunately the game sucked. That was the last time I was suckered by game hype. Well, except for Rise of the Robots, Hexen, Tiberian Sun, Black & White, The Sims, Doom 3, Fable, Oblivion, Spore, Bioshock, etc.

Colt Seevers
12-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Heh that Lost Patrol sucked baws.

Vietcong 2 was the last good game of that kind for me, last bad game was Nam '67.. I don't really like 3rd person shooters at the best of times but this was uber pish.

GepperRankins
12-05-2006, 01:41 AM
vietcong
battlefield vietnam
bf1942/bf2 eve of destruction
conflict vietnam
shellshock 67 (or something)

GepperRankins
12-05-2006, 01:46 AM
Vietcong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietcong_%28computer_game%29) is a decent game based on the Vietnam war imo. There's a few others I can think of but can't names of the top of my head. I remember a team based one that I played for a few minutes but it wasn't that good. Of course, Battlefield Vietnam is another one.

Maybe the fact USA got beat has made it a poor/sore subject for a computer game.
the team based one is conflict vietnam. you used to be able to have strats by sneaking around and flanking (in conflict desert storm 1&2). then they made the game as linear as you can possibly make a game, so it just turned into a weak 3rd person shooter with a novel way of giving you continues :(

Jon L. Obscene
12-06-2006, 04:24 AM
Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault had the sqaud based controls, I liked that idea a lot, but the game was badly flawed, getting stuck in walls and dozens of downed enemy guns floating 8 feet in the air etc
Speac Ops on the PSX was good for that but you could control each soldier, I'm guessing Ghost recon is more like that but as yet havn't played it since the GRAW that came with our 360 says "Please insert this disc into an Xbox 360 consol".........for some reason :huh: