PDA

View Full Version : Recovering A Word Document

Skillian
05-15-2003, 01:51 PM
OK, in a rather stupid moment yesterday/this morning I saved a document I had been working on in Word 2002. I saved it to a floppy and closed the program without saving it to anywhere else first. Now that floppy is corrupt and I can't get the document. I've tried searching the hard drive for *.doc, *.chk and *.wbk but to no avail. I've also looked in Application Data/Microsoft/Word but nothing in there either.

I have Word set to save Auto Recovery Info every 10 minutes but I think thats only useful if the program crashes, which it didn't.

I guess I've pretty much lost this document, which is really bad news, but if anyone has anything else to try I'm more than willing to give it a go. I've still got the floppy but it will not read from the disk so I can get nothing off it.

m8t
05-15-2003, 02:27 PM
:rolleyes:
hi there !
i've done similar, and managed to bring back one from the dead. do a search for untitled and or document. who knows ?
regards
m8t :rolleyes:

VB
05-15-2003, 03:26 PM
Word usually always makes a backup copy in the same folder as the original file.

Skillian
05-16-2003, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I think it's gone. It's never been saved to the hard drive, I started it from scratch then saved to the floppy, so there is no original location.

:(

Skillian
05-16-2003, 09:46 AM
Quick update - I managed to get some of the document from the floppy using a program called BadCopy Pro. It rescues information from damaged floppies and CD-ROMs. In actual fact I only rescued about 200 words from a 2000 word document, but I think that was cos I stupidly ran scandisk on the floppy first, which I think overwrote some of the bad sectors which might have been recoverable.

So now I have to write nearly the whole document again today - not good. :angry: