PDA

View Full Version : Power DVD Alternative?

SeK612
12-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Power DVD is really buggy on my computer (examples of problems include it using stupid amounts of memory - 300K+ if it's got itself in a knot - and it runs several background processes even if it is closed) and so I really need to find an alternative.

My problem is I need a program that has a solid screen capture feature and no other application I've tried can match PowerDVD at this as far as I can see.

For the capturing;

I need to be able to save images directly to hard drive (So you can go through a movie hitting 'c' or other screen capture key and it saves the shots automatically allowing you to continue watching.

I need it to save as a .jpg at a resonable filesize.

I need to be able to be able to capture at the current size of the video window (so I can capture at full screen and then resize within a graphics program).

I guess that's not too much to ask for but I've struggled to find any other program that can do all of this.

Any suggestions?

peat moss
12-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Windvd by Intervideo ?

100%
12-12-2006, 09:06 AM
vlc and mediaplayerclassic also play dvd

Skiz
12-12-2006, 09:11 AM
vlc and mediaplayerclassic also play dvd

I don't believe either has a screen capture function though. :unsure:

killer04
12-12-2006, 10:18 AM
VLC has. Click on snapshot and it will save the pic in My pictures.

SeK612
12-12-2006, 11:17 AM
I don't think either Win DVD or Video Lan can do all of those features needed (Win DVD only saves a .bmp, Video Lan does .jpg but doesn't appear to allow you to capture above the size of the source file).

100%
12-12-2006, 06:07 PM
mpc has screen capture - file>save image

SeK612
12-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Is it possible to automate it, save as .jpg and save at full screen in wmpc though?

Perhaps it's not possible in any other programs and PowerDVD is the only one (which sucks as it's next to useless on my computer) :(