PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War Hits 2 Million, Guild Wars Tops 3 Million

frizshizzle
12-16-2006, 05:35 PM
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/125/gearsofwar05cq6.jpgA couple of games have reached new multi-million selling points this week. First of all, according to a joint announcement issued by Microsoft and Epic today, Gears of War has just made history by becoming the fastest-selling next-gen game of 2006, and the fastest-selling exclusive Xbox game of all time (couldn't they find any more complicated distinctions?). The performance comes as a result of more than 2 million copies having sold worldwide, in just six weeks since the game's release.

"We've always held high hopes for Gears of War, but we never expected such an overwhelmingly positive response from critics and gamers all over the world", said Michael Capps, president, Epic Games. "I can't describe how stoked our team is right now. Our fans can absolutely count on Epic to keep delivering new gameplay through Xbox Live."
So there you have it, yet another firm promise that Epic will deliver additional content for Gears of War. And according to one recent interview, they also said that the content will be free to download via Xbox Live (whatever it will be, we still don't know).

The other multi-millionaire this week is actually a recidivist. Having already reached the 2,000,000 mark back in June, Guild Wars is now boasting over 3 million units sold, as proclaimed a couple of days ago by ArenaNet and NCsoft. Naturally, the recent release of the second expansion (Nightfall) also played a major part in boosting the sales of this subscription-free MMORPG, which first went live more than a year and a half ago.

ArenaNet used this opportunity to announce the details of the in-game Wintersday Festival (taking place between December 20 - January 1), as well as some exciting new features to be implemented in the game over the holiday season. You can find more info on this on the Guild Wars website.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I loved GOW multiplayer - bas***ds hovering over me.:dry: Didn't know Guild Wars was subscription free:O

:source: Source: http://www.playfuls.com/news_8650_Gears_of_War_Hits_2_Million_Guild_Wars_Tops_3_Million.html