PDA

View Full Version : a dual layer burner

ffunk5
12-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Is the pioneer 111D a good choice for a dual layer burner.

johnq86
12-17-2006, 12:22 AM
im sorry to ask but what exaclty is a dual layer dvd burner?

YumYup
12-17-2006, 11:08 AM
i prefer benq dvd burner because of solid burn and firmware booktype settings

Skillz808
12-18-2006, 05:28 PM
The NEc 3550a is so far the best DL burner i have owned and i have gone through about 6 brands so far and it is by far the cheapest if it is still around i own 3 of these babies and yet to get a coaster out of one of them out of about 40+ discs.

zapjb
12-18-2006, 11:01 PM
All 3 brands mentioned are very good.

I have a BenQ. And my good friend has a Pioneer. We're both happy.

Chewie
12-18-2006, 11:11 PM
The NEc 3550a is so far the best DL burner i have owned and i have gone through about 6 brands so far and it is by far the cheapest if it is still around i own 3 of these babies and yet to get a coaster out of one of them out of about 40+ discs.
Jeez Skillz, punctuation would make that much easier to read!

TorrentJunky
12-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Dual Layer recording allows DVD-R and DVD+R discs to store significantly more data, up to 8.5 Gigabytes per disc, compared with 4.7 Gigabytes for single-layer discs.

Virtualbody1234
12-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Dual Layer recording allows DVD-R and DVD+R discs to store significantly more data, up to 8.5 Gigabytes per disc, compared with 4.7 Gigabytes for single-layer discs.
That's not true. You would need DVD-R DL or DVD+R DL media for that.

General2k
12-19-2006, 01:10 AM
Personally I like the LiteOn burners. I have a LTR-32123S and a LDW-811S and have found both to be excellent burners.
Currently Im looking at this one SHM - 165H6S (http://www.liteon.com/prod/getProduct.do?cid=1_7_13&xml_id=4_2&menu_id=4_2_7)

TYPE R
12-23-2006, 10:55 PM
pioneer 111D is good 4 me

tesco
12-24-2006, 04:33 AM
The NEc 3550a is so far the best DL burner i have owned and i have gone through about 6 brands so far and it is by far the cheapest if it is still around i own 3 of these babies and yet to get a coaster out of one of them out of about 40+ discs.I have the same one. Have had it about a year and burnt 75+ dvds (some dvd+r, some dvd-r). Never any problems.
Have never tried burning dual layer as i have no need for them. :idunno:

Skillz808
12-24-2006, 07:59 AM

LOL My bad

Sometimes, I post when i just wake or just going to bed.

You've never had one of those movies, where it has widescreen and fullscreen or super long like lord of the rings?

chip19
12-25-2006, 05:43 PM
I don't think people really need dual layer for movies. I don't even think most players will support burned DL, but I may be wrong. But with programs like DVD Shrink, no need for DVD9.

I use double-layer for data. Especially anime seasons. It is nice to be able to put every episode of EVA and the two movies on one disc. I just bought a 10-pack and backed up all my anime. Lately, though, the prices have come down almost enough to warrant me using them more often.

And I will second (or third) the NEC 3550. It is cheap as anything. I have one for myself and one in my sister's computer. The thing handles every media you hand it, and never fails. How could you go wrong? The only other feature you might possibly want is Lightscribe, but you'll pay a premium for that.

lysine
12-25-2006, 08:15 PM
another vote for the NEC 3550. I've owned two of them and my gf has one. they're excellent burners. make sure you upgrade the firmware to the liggy & dee hacked version. it increases write strategies for discs and allows you to remove riplock, set the bitsetting, and make it region free.

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/3550/

the 3550 1.Y6 version is the latest. you can find more info about the firmware or nec drives in general here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

tesco
12-25-2006, 08:19 PM

LOL My bad

You've never had one of those movies, where it has widescreen and fullscreen or super long like lord of the rings?
:unsure:no i hate lord of the rings.:D

Virtualbody1234
12-25-2006, 08:30 PM

LOL My bad

You can put the widescreen version on one DVD±R and the fullscreen on another.

Virtualbody1234
12-25-2006, 08:34 PM
I don't think people really need dual layer for movies. I don't even think most players will support burned DL, but I may be wrong. But with programs like DVD Shrink, no need for DVD9.
Burned DL discs have worked on all players I have tried except only one movie didn't play properly on one machine (don't know why). :unsure:

utunes
01-21-2007, 04:47 AM
make sure u get one with lightscribe

lxgamer
01-21-2007, 06:19 PM
what about plextor dvd burners?
are they better than sony, asus, lg, benq, and samsung?

Mïcrösöül°V³
01-21-2007, 08:37 PM
I have an NEC burner also, not dual layer, but it has been a very good burner for me. No coasters. As far as lightscribe, it just seems like a novelty that would lose appeal after a while, and from what i understand of it, it can take up to 30 minutes to burn that image onto the back of the disc. If you are like me, waiting 5 minutes to burn a dvd is too long :lol:

lynx
01-21-2007, 09:24 PM
I've got an NEC 3500, it does everything I want, but my new system will have a Liteon burner. I don't think there's much to choose between them.

I tend to agree about lightscribe, a decent printer and some good quality labels produce a better result as far as I'm concerned.

mbucari1
01-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Although I usually don't like asus, I have had mine for a couple of months and has worked great! Only $30 too. All the DL disks that I have burned have played on my dvd burner which was bought in '02.