PDA

View Full Version : Could Americans elect a black president in 2008?

Ava Estelle
12-17-2006, 02:37 PM
With the rise and rise of Barack Obama, the question begs to be asked ...

Could Americans elect a black president in 2008?

If the Dems are gonna win in 2008 it looks like the voters will have either Obama or Clinton.

So if Obama gets the nomination, is the US ready for a black president?

Busyman™
12-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Barack has no track record. Hell no.

Ava Estelle
12-17-2006, 03:19 PM

Does he stand less chance than Clinton?

Busyman™
12-17-2006, 03:39 PM

Does he stand less chance than Clinton?

I wouldn't vote for either one, personally.

edit: Well let me rephrase. In the primary I wouldn't vote for either. When you get down to the real election, you must choose your evil. I'd vote Republican if they aren't too fucked up. I could even vote Independent.

The problem with many comes because most people are brainless sheep and vote their party no matter what. Now I can understand this if you are ignorant of the candidate. The only thing the person has to go on is the party's ideology and so ticks Dem or Repub all the way down.

However, I'm absolutely sure some may know their candidate to be a sumumabitch and vote for them anyway.

I mean look what happened last election. I don't know whether it's fortunate or unfortunate that we don't have an incumbent this time. Bush pretty much did a shitty job his first go round so one had that to look at yet he still won.:dabs:

edit: I hope Barack doesn't run actually. Just like the brainless within their own party, there are brainless within their own race and will vote the black just because. He would steal a lot of the black vote (which is mostly Dem) from (a possibly) more legitimate candidate. He need more legislating under his belt. I wouldn't put a third year judge on the Supreme Court so who the hell is Barack for President?

vidcc
12-17-2006, 04:08 PM
I think sex and race are less of an issue than say, religious beliefs.
Of course it's possible that a non white male could become president. I am also sure that there is a not entirely insignificant amount of voters that could not vote for a candidate (political beliefs aside) specifically because the candidate was a non white male. Likewise there is a not so insignificant group that would vote for a candidate specifically because their were not a white male.

I don't think it's the partisan voters that would be the problem but the swing voters one way or the other

He has a record (for good or bad) that isn't known too well (local legislator). The right wing apparently think he has enough of a track record to label him and seem to be worried about him running, already playing the racial "fear card"..... not just because he is mixed race but because he has an Arab sounding middle name :rolleyes:

Bush jnr. was/is inexperienced in many areas. I know this is a bad example because of the bad job he has done, but the inexperience wasn't the only downfall. What happened was he chose one set of advisers that had just one political viewpoint. He allowed no dissenting opinions.

100%
12-17-2006, 04:15 PM
`The thread title already answers it's own question, by being racial.

Ava Estelle
12-17-2006, 04:38 PM
`The thread title already answers it's own question, by being racial.

WTF does that mean? :unsure:

Busyman ... Clinton was a real hawk over the invasion of Iraq, something she's having trouble living down, whereas Obama was always against it, he also doesn't carry any of Clinton's baggage such as the Blowjob etc..

Do you think it's possible people will see Obama a breath of fresh air?

Virtualbody1234
12-17-2006, 08:00 PM
But Obama is only one letter away from Osama.

vidcc
12-17-2006, 08:04 PM
But Obama is only one letter away from Osama. And this does the American stereotype no good :ermm:
iIXMKXHKSzI

JPaul
12-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Clinton has bags of charisma so the American people could see past the sex scandals. Same as with Kennedy.

I don't think the Americans are ready to elect a black man. I don't think the British are either. How many black people are in the commons, or the congress. Less than would be proportionate methinks.

MagicNakor
12-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Now, what if they run on the same ticket? :o

:shuriken:

clocker
12-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Clinton has bags of charisma...Same as with Kennedy.

As does Obama.
Lack of experience and strong perceived ties to a party line are also points in his favor...at least right now.
I doubt that he will actually make it to the final cut but he may well have enough clout to influence the platform and broker the final choices.

Snee
12-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I reckon they should elect a woman first, speaking of people who've never had a go before.

I mean, that's roughly 50% of the population, women.
Whereas coloured people constitute what, 15% or so?
Yet, somehow that seems even less likely to happen.

I also reckon that the US would cope just fine with a member of either group, or both, in charge, it's just that it won't happen in 2008.

mr. nails
12-17-2006, 11:48 PM
the next non-white prez will be a hispanic male.

Busyman™
12-18-2006, 12:13 AM
the next non-white prez will be a hispanic male.

Absolutely not. There is the thought that Hispanic politicians would be lax on immigration law.

A pro-"make them all citizens" politician.

Hell I get peeved when I hear about taxpayer funded day laborer buildings.

NIMBY

thewizeard
12-18-2006, 04:39 AM
Of course they can...and not for the first time...they voted in Bush twice..after all.

Ava Estelle
12-18-2006, 07:35 AM
According to the latest polls, across both party's voters, John McCain is the favourite anyway, with the Dems possibly taking Congress.

thewizeard
12-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Oh sorry you meant... colour black...now that didn't occur to me.. ;)

j2k4
12-18-2006, 08:42 PM
A good black and/or female candidate would be elected in short order, I think.

I don't see Hillary winning a general, she's pissed too many people off, and irrevocably, at that.

I think she'd have to strong-arm her way to a nomination, and create more enemies in the doing than she already has.

Obama has, as previously noted, no record.

The difficulty for him is, being touted to the point of having to (probably sooner rather than later) declare, he then has to tread the line between committing to any potentially dangerous positions and keeping his nose clean.

Either way is risky.

There's talk of him running with Hillary for Veep, but that's a loser for him, ultimately.

There is the undercurrent of Clinton-poison to taint him, and I think the bottom line is that he'd find the pull to run for POTUS too strong to run with her, and running with her too risky.

As to the others:

Kerry - certainly not.

Edwards - the same; a genuine lightweight.

Vilsack - no chance.

The guy from Indiana (can't remember his name) - could make some noise, but ultimately, nah.

The guy who might just pull it off (my pick...are you listening, Busyman?) - Bill Richardson; Nails might just be right.

Republicans McCain, Guiliani, Romney, Brownback, Hunter, et. al., are a mixed bag, with no definite favorite, nevermind the polls.

Watch out for Condi, though.

I think if she decides to run, she wins.

vidcc
12-18-2006, 09:48 PM
I don't see Hillary winning a general, she's pissed too many people off, and irrevocably, at that.

I think she'd have to strong-arm her way to a nomination, and create more enemies in the doing than she already has.

There's talk of him running with Hillary for Veep, but that's a loser for him, ultimately.

There is the undercurrent of Clinton-poison to taint him, and I think the bottom line is that he'd find the pull to run for POTUS too strong to run with her, and running with her too risky.

This "undercurrent of Clinton-poison" is only with the right wingers. Despite how they like to portray her if you look at her voting record she is a centrist.
She has upset some on the left of her party with her "support" for the Iraq war but if she was the candidate then she would get their vote.

The guy who might just pull it off (my pick...are you listening, Busyman?) - Bill Richardson; Nails might just be right.

He would be my choice for democratic candidate. He's the governor of my state and has quite a considerable amount of foreign diplomatic experience to boot. He has come out strongly against the Iraq war which is another plus. Obama as his vp.

on the repubs

Brownback and Hunter are way too far to the right for me

McCain recently has gone all over the shop being too inconsistent, I've gone off him a lot.
Guiliani I feel is riding on a wave of popularity because of 911, he was pretty awful before that by many accounts.
Romney, not too keen on him. but probably almost bearable.

All of the above three have been paying homage to the extreme right of late, backing away from previous stances and this troubles me.

If Bill Clinton were allowed to run again he would win....the resultant foaming from the right would just be a bonus. ;)

ahctlucabbuS
12-20-2006, 08:09 PM
He needs to change his name to David Palmer ASAP. Personally I'd welcome a black US president, as I'm sure the american people would welcome a President David Palmer.

j2k4
12-20-2006, 09:07 PM
He needs to change his name to David Palmer ASAP. Personally I'd welcome a black US president, as I'm sure the american people would welcome a President David Palmer.

How about President Condoleezza Rice?

bigboab
12-20-2006, 09:10 PM

Too 'shifty' in my opinion.:)

ahctlucabbuS
12-20-2006, 10:46 PM

What about her? She'd stand no chance against a President Palmer. Everyone knows you can deduce american public opinion from popular fox programming...

People watch 24, ergo they support torture (according to fox news). People watch 24, ergo they support David Palmer for president... Quite simple.

j2k4
12-20-2006, 11:29 PM

What about her? She'd stand no chance against a President Palmer. Everyone knows you can deduce american public opinion from popular fox programming...

People watch 24, ergo they support torture (according to fox news). People watch 24, ergo they support David Palmer for president... Quite simple.

Well then.

We'll have to see if Dennis Haysbert is free for the next several years. :dry:

Seriously, there is no philosophical connection whatsoever between FOX entertainment and FOX news.

Apart from the occasional NFL game, I'll give Fox entertainment a miss.

ahctlucabbuS
12-21-2006, 12:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrsQPK-GrDw&eurl=

Busyman™
12-21-2006, 12:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrsQPK-GrDw&eurl=

What a dumb bitch.:dry:

I like The Shield so that means I'm all for dirty cops.

MagicNakor
12-21-2006, 01:12 AM

What about President Bartlet?

:shuriken:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
12-21-2006, 02:31 AM

Condolengis Rice? Condolengis Rice sounds like a Mexican dish. Maybe we should put her on a plate and send her to Mexico, then the Mexicans can eat her.

j2k4
12-21-2006, 10:43 AM

Condolengis Rice? Condolengis Rice sounds like a Mexican dish. Maybe we should put her on a plate and send her to Mexico, then the Mexicans can eat her.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think.

TYPE R
12-23-2006, 11:38 PM
no way

Sid Hartha
12-24-2006, 06:05 AM

Wait 'til you find out what his middle name is...

Seriously, at this moment I have no idea. I sincerely hope he doesn't get nominated. He first needs to build a reputation as a Senator.

j2k4
12-24-2006, 02:38 PM

Wait 'til you find out what his middle name is...

Seriously, at this moment I have no idea. I sincerely hope he doesn't get nominated. He first needs to build a reputation as a Senator.

Actually, given the difficulty of a Senator being elected President, he'd do well to run as Governor of Illinois next, and run from there.